lju713

Montrez Sweat will be the pick at 14

69 posts in this topic

6'5 250lb and has quick hands,counter moves,and that bend all good pass rushers have. Miss State has been pumping out good defenders in the front 7, so I know he coached up. We need DT, but we can find a run stuffer in the 3rd or 4th.

Drafting Sweat gives us the option to trade Vic Beasley and get a pick. 12M is alot to pay him, we need to sign Grady Jarrett, and Sweat has that alpha dog mentality this D needs.

Edited by lju713
g-dawg likes this

6 minutes ago, lju713 said:

6'5 260lb and has quick hands,counter moves,and that bend all good pass rushers have. Miss State has been pumping out good defenders in the front 7, so I know he coached up. We need DT, but we can find a run stuffer in the 3rd or 4th.

Drafting Sweat gives us the option to trade Vic Beasley and get a pick. 12M is alot to pay him, we need to sign Grady Jarrett, and Sweat has that alpha dog mentality this D needs.

I like Sweat - would be a good pick.

Nobody is trading for Vic Beasley - if we don't recind the tender, he will be on a on year deal at like $12mm coming off two seasons averaging 4 sacks per year.

#berealistic

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Nobody is trading for Vic Beasley - if we don't recind the tender, he will be on a on year deal at like $12mm coming off two seasons averaging 4 sacks per year.

#berealistic

You dont think we could garner any interest out of a 3-4 team?

2 minutes ago, lju713 said:

You dont think we could garner any interest out of a 3-4 team?

nope - a DE that is below average against the rush, is a one-trick pony on passrushing and is on a 5th year option probably making $8mm+ has ZERO trade value.

18 minutes ago, lju713 said:

6'5 250lb and has quick hands,counter moves,and that bend all good pass rushers have. Miss State has been pumping out good defenders in the front 7, so I know he coached up. We need DT, but we can find a run stuffer in the 3rd or 4th.

I actually believe this could happen. He’s that sudden athleticism type DQ and TD love. I think we tag Vic and see how Takk or Vic perform and maybe move on from one of them if Sweat balls our

Vandy and lju713 like this

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

nope - a DE that is below average against the rush, is a one-trick pony on passrushing and is on a 5th year option probably making $8mm+ has ZERO trade value.

I agree with this, I don’t think Vic gets huge money. He’s orolly in line for a Bruce Irvin type deal when he left Seahawks. 4 yrs 38m I believe 

Vandy and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

#berealistic

Wasn’t the rumor the Falcons turned down and offer for a third for Vic at the deadline? He actually played better after the deadline passed.

mtldirtybird and Draftnut57 like this

2 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Wasn’t the rumor the Falcons turned down and offer for a third for Vic at the deadline? He actually played better after the deadline passed.

I don’t believe that rumor.  Where did you hear this?

1 hour ago, lju713 said:

I like Sweat. I think we can still get a very good player at #14 either way. I am so ready for the draft.

lju713 likes this

1 hour ago, lju713 said:

I disagree... a DT is more than a run stuffer. They push and collapse the pocket.... get a DT at 14 that can push the pocket , that will allow our DE to apply more pressure to a QB ,     imho DT and guards should be more valuable 

Malachore likes this

15 minutes ago, falconfanEST1989 said:

I disagree... a DT is more than a run stuffer. They push and collapse the pocket.... get a DT at 14 that can push the pocket , that will allow our DE to apply more pressure to a QB ,     imho DT and guards should be more valuable 

The DT class is deeper than pass rusher. The DT in FA are deep too. But I agree with you, both DT and G need to be addressed in FA and the draft if I had it my way lol

falconfanEST1989 and MSalmon like this

I like Sweat at 14 but he is pushing top 10 as NFL scouts look closer. He affords us a luxury. We can save the 12 million we have to give Vic. I like Taak, we know he has some dogg in him but we still have to watch his emotional state and he has that shoulder issue. We found out first-hand out injuries could decimate you so what if we do sign Vic?We will have Vic, Sweat, Taak, and Irving that's pretty good depth. We still need a beefy defensive tackle but we may be able to get one in FA or we may be able to get big D. Mack from Texas A&M as a third or fourth pick. Who knows some DT may slip through the crack to the 3rd

This way we can draft an OL in the second and with one of our 4ths. 

5 minutes ago, lju713 said:

The DT class is deeper than pass rusher. The DT in FA are deep too. But I agree with you, both DT and G need to be addressed in FA and the draft if I had it my way lol

I agree. There are a lot of good DTs. The real elite ones go top ten. It could be a great year to nab a Sweat, Polite ir the rising Jaylon Ferguson. In our system we don’t have to have a bunch of Grady Jarrets. We need a few cloggers or sign McCoy I’d cut.

grabbing a pass rusher at 14 makes a lot of sense. 

egoprime II likes this

3 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

I like Sweat at 14 but he is pushing top 10 as NFL scouts look closer. He affords us a luxury. We can save the 12 million we have to give Vic. I like Taak, we know he has some dogg in him but we still have to watch his emotional state and he has that shoulder issue. We found out first-hand out injuries could decimate you so what if we do sign Vic?We will have Vic, Sweat, Taak, and Irving that's pretty good depth. We still need a beefy defensive tackle but we may be able to get one in FA or we may be able to get big D. Mack from Texas A&M as a third or fourth pick. Who knows some DT may slip through the crack to the 3rd

This way we can draft an OL in the second and with one of our 4ths. 

You thinking like Im thinking. Address the space eater in later rounds 3-5 or FA. I like Mack, 6'2 330 is stout.

egoprime II likes this

53 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don’t believe that rumor.  Where did you hear this?

I think it was talked about on hear. Don’t know if it’s true, was hoping you knew, lol. I know It was confirmed the Falcons had inquiries for Beasley.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/amp/2018/11/4/18061354/atlanta-falcons-rejected-trade-offers-for-vic-beasley-jr

http://nfltraderumors.co/teams-showed-significant-interest-in-falcons-de-vic-beasley-before-trade-deadline/

In comparison, Fowler went for a 2019 3rd and 2020 5th...so a third doesn’t seem too far fetched.

2 hours ago, lju713 said:

Jumped on him when I first started looking around in late November. I see TATF is coming around.

egoprime II likes this

26 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I think it was talked about on hear. Don’t know if it’s true, was hoping you knew, lol. I know It was confirmed the Falcons had inquiries for Beasley.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/amp/2018/11/4/18061354/atlanta-falcons-rejected-trade-offers-for-vic-beasley-jr

http://nfltraderumors.co/teams-showed-significant-interest-in-falcons-de-vic-beasley-before-trade-deadline/

In comparison, Fowler went for a 2019 3rd and 2020 5th...so a third doesn’t seem too far fetched.

At this point, Vic on the team holds more value than anything later than a 3rd round pick. I wouldn’t see ya being able to replace him with in a round that late...

I like bringing him back on an extension that is 3 years, $18 million. It gives him the opportunity for more guaranteed money just spread over time. For us, it brings a cap hit down to a manageable amount. If he doesn’t take it, he is taking a huge 1 year risk that he performs to an adequate level, if he isn’t that he gets enough PT to show potential to a future suitor and that he avoids major injury.

Take the extra $6 million kid and be a situational pass rusher splitting reps with Bruce Irvin for 3 more years

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan
Draftnut57 likes this

2 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Think we give Beasley a longer deal with less money

Why?

What has Beasley done to Garner more opportunity?

28 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

At this point, Vic on the team holds more value than anything later than a 3rd round pick. I wouldn’t see ya being able to replace him with in a round that late...

I like bringing him back on an extension that is 3 years, $18 million. It gives him the opportunity for more guaranteed money just spread over time. For us, it brings a cap hit down to a manageable amount. If he doesn’t take it, he is taking a huge 1 year risk that he performs to an adequate level, if he isn’t that he gets enough PT to show potential to a future suitor and that he avoids major injury.

Take the extra $6 million kid and be a situational pass rusher splitting reps with Bruce Irvin for 3 more years

Beasley's agent would laugh at that offer. He thinks a 3-4 team will pay Beasley more. Let him walk.

Vandy and egoprime II like this

58 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Why?

What has Beasley done to Garner more opportunity?

It's about the potential. He has an elite first step, and with another season at DE under his belt and better play at db he could probably notch 7-10 sacks. Sign him to a team friendly deal where you can cut him if he doesn't work out and upgrade dt with Suh, or Mccoy. 

Draftnut57 likes this

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

#berealistic

Rams traded for Fowler.

1 minute ago, osiruz said:

It's about the potential. He has an elite first step, and with another season at DE under his belt and better play at db he could probably notch 7-10 sacks. Sign him to a team friendly deal where you can cut him if he doesn't work out and upgrade dt with Suh, or Mccoy. 

He is signed to a deal where you can cut him now. Signing him to another deal would be the mistake. In reality, Vic has registered 5 or less 3 of 4 years.

Of course he COULD become a 7-10 sack guy but there is no indication or evidence it is likely to happen. The best predictor of the future is the past. And Vic's past is littered with little success and a lot of failure. I'd expect more to continue. 

vitaman likes this