ryantlanta

Will Matt Ryan finish with the most passing yards in NFL history?

66 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Tandy said:

It took him longer to play those games so no - it wasn't faster - just fewer games.

Ok. We'll just have to disagree on what it means to be the fastest to accomplish something. I think doing it in fewest games means doing it faster. I don't care how many years it takes. That's silly.

21 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Ok. We'll just have to disagree on what it means to be the fastest to accomplish something. I think doing it in fewest games means doing it faster. I don't care how many years it takes. That's silly.

I agree to disagree on this.   The record  recorded for Ryan was most yards in history for first 11 years - that's what I was going by - not number of games played.    I do agree that Matthew reached 30,000 in less games, but I do not agree he did it in less time as it took him a year longer to play the number of games it took to get to that point.   So I'm ok with that disagreement.   

I also disagree that it's a given that Stafford will automatically pass Ryan based on the whole entitiy of their career.   The fact that Stafford has steadily decreased in yards every single year but one over a 10 year period and Ryan has increased or held steady is not indicative of this.   Ryan just keeps getting better - and honestly - he'd have more yards if they didn't pull him out every time we get a lead.   Let's see how it goes now that Koetter is back - it may change - we'll see.    But the difference is pretty drastic over the first half - second half of each man's career based on yards per game.

Stafford - over the first 70 games -  had 19,953 yards - that's 285 yards per game.   Over his last 71 games - he had 18,573 yards - that's 261.6 yards per game.   A difference of -23.4 yards per game average.

Ryan on the other hand - over the first 87 games - had 21,571 yards - averaged 247.9 yards per game - and over the last 87 games, had 25,149 yards  - averaged 296 yards per game.  A difference of +47.93 yards per game

That's substantial.

Drew4719, falcons007 and falconidae like this

11 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I agree to disagree on this.   The record  recorded for Ryan was most yards in history for first 11 years - that's what I was going by - not number of games played.    I do agree that Matthew reached 30,000 in less games, but I do not agree he did it in less time as it took him a year longer to play the number of games it took to get to that point.   So I'm ok with that disagreement.   

I also disagree that it's a given that Stafford will automatically pass Ryan based on the whole entitiy of their career.   The fact that Stafford has steadily decreased in yards every single year but one over a 10 year period and Ryan has increased or held steady is not indicative of this.   Ryan just keeps getting better - and honestly - he'd have more yards if they didn't pull him out every time we get a lead.   Let's see how it goes now that Koetter is back - it may change - we'll see.    But the difference is pretty drastic over the first half - second half of each man's career based on yards per game.

Stafford - over the first 70 games -  had 19,953 yards - that's 285 yards per game.   Over his last 71 games - he had 18,573 yards - that's 261.6 yards per game.   A difference of -23.4 yards per game average.

Ryan on the other hand - over the first 87 games - had 21,571 yards - averaged 247.9 yards per game - and over the last 87 games, had 25,149 yards  - averaged 296 yards per game.  A difference of +47.93 yards per game

That's substantial.

You and I are talking about different stats. I wasn't talking about most passing yards in first 11 years. I was talking about fastest to reach 30,000 yards passing. Those are two completely different stats.

I'm not the one that said Stafford is going to pass Ryan. I was just posting the stat for fewest games needed to reach 30,000 and 40,000 yards passing. Stafford holds the record for 30,000 yards and Ryan holds the record for 40,000 yards.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

You and I are talking about different stats. I wasn't talking about most passing yards in first 11 years. I was talking about fastest to reach 30,000 yards passing. Those are two completely different stats.

I'm not the one that said Stafford is going to pass Ryan. I was just posting the stat for fewest games needed to reach 30,000 and 40,000 yards passing. Stafford holds the record for 30,000 yards and Ryan holds the record for 40,000 yards.

Ryan didn't reach 40000 in the least number of games - he reached it in the least amount of time - that's what I was saying.   Manning reached it in 1 fewer game because Ryan missed 2 games in 2009

23 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He can’t be elite cause his wife isn’t a supermodel like Brady’s.

Still the dumbest argument ever offered in the history of mankind

The very first time that i ever used the ignore button was because that BS.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

9 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Ryan didn't reach 40000 in the least number of games - he reached it in the least amount of time - that's what I was saying.   Manning reached it in 1 fewer game because Ryan missed 2 games in 2009

Yes he did. It only took Matt Ryan 151 games to reach 40,000 yards passing. It took Peyton Manning 154 games to reach 40,000 yards passing.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes he did. It only took Matt Ryan 151 games to reach 40,000 yards passing. It took Peyton Manning 153 games to reach 40,000 yards passing.

ok.  I will go with you on this because i am on my phone and frankly sleep deprived for the last 6 months and tired of arguing and mostly just confused anyway lately.  

6 hours ago, RLD said:

That is probably the only thing Matty Choke has on his mind. HIS stats. NO SB victories in Atlanta as long as he is in Atlanta.

STFU troll

2 minutes ago, Tandy said:

ok.  I will go with you on this because i am on my phone and frankly sleep deprived for the last 6 months and tired of arguing and mostly just confused anyway lately.  

I'm not trying to be difficult. I hope all is well with you and your husband. I know it's been tough for you.

Tandy likes this

5 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Yeah let’s forget he’s one of the few to throw 5000 yards and if you take out his lowest season, he averages around 4500 yards a year. Keep that up and if he retires around 39 he would be right there, if not ahead of Ryan. He was the fastest to 30k. 

Why would you take out his lowest season? It happened, he can’t get that year back, he is still gonna keep getting older. 

That said, I agree he could stay at that 4500 a season mark. Only reason Ryan is ahead of Drew at the 11 year graph is Drew had 3-4 seasons under 3000 yards before going to NO and stat padding to RBs.

even if he doesn’t finish ahead of these guys, it boggles my mind that people hate on Ryan after what he has done...especially compared the the shoddy QB play this franchise has had over their history.

Godzilla1985 and freefall like this

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Why would you take out his lowest season? It happened, he can’t get that year back, he is still gonna keep getting older. 

That said, I agree he could stay at that 4500 a season mark. Only reason Ryan is ahead of Drew at the 11 year graph is Drew had 3-4 seasons under 3000 yards before going to NO and stat padding to RBs.

even if he doesn’t finish ahead of these guys, it boggles my mind that people hate on Ryan after what he has done...especially compared the the shoddy QB play this franchise has had over their history.

Agreed.  Only having to endure the like of Billy Joe Tolliver, Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, Kurt Kitner, Graziani, Doug Johnson, Danny Kanell, etc... can someone truly appreciate the greatness of Matt Ryan.  Those QB I mentioned are just the truly horrible recent QB that Falcons fans had to endure.  I did not include any of the earlier or the average QB like Steve Deberg, Bobby Hebert, Chris Redman, Matt Schaub, etc...when they played for the Falcons.

falconidae likes this

I was just looking at this yesterday.  I think Brees may not retire until Brady does, so that he will know he goes out on top.

15 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'm not trying to be difficult. I hope all is well with you and your husband. I know it's been tough for you.

Yeah - sometimes I am arguing something and it suddenly hits me - and I'm like WTF am I even saying.    I know it's because I don't get a lot of sleep and I'm under a lot of stress, but it seems so logical and then boom - it kicks to reality and I just sit there slack jawed for a second.    It's super hard for me - because logic is who I am.  I will be so happy when our life gets back to normal.

I'm sorry anyway - you were right - and this was definitely one of those moments.

Falconsfan567 and falconidae like this

17 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Why would you take out his lowest season?...

Because he missed 3 games that year. If they'd phrased it, "Every year he's played a full season" probably would have gone over better.