ryantlanta

Will Matt Ryan finish with the most passing yards in NFL history?

66 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

Brees is starting to show the mileage though.  And his reaction last Sunday was that of a QB who knows the window just slammed shut on getting another ring. 

I'd be shocked to see him playing more than two additional seasons.

And the last as a back up teacher! 

5 hours ago, Tandy said:

50574105_10216221353999418_8144181582983

When you see those numbers, there is no reason anyone should question MR2. Especially given those sack numbers and the lack of OL talent and poor defenses that have probably kept him off the field more...add in the fact that he’s averaged a new OC every 2 years unlike Manny who had the same OC his entire Colts career and Brees who has had Payton his entire time in NO....

MR2 is pretty dang good...

Tandy, JDaveG, Halcon-1 and 4 others like this

5 hours ago, Tandy said:

And he thinks nothing of it at all.

Plus he's 3rd in TD on that same list, 4th in completion %, 8th in rating, 1st in 4th quarter comebacks, 1st in game winning drives and 5th in wins, 

That's among all quarterbacks in their first 11 years since 1920

I'm floored!!! This is amazingly impressive! Throw a ring or two in there and perhaps a SB MVP, and Ryan is looking better than the next best thing!

JDaveG, Drew4719 and Tandy like this

If Ryan stays healthy and plays another 9 seasons then for sure. He will be top 5 when he hangs them up imo nk

What's impressive is he has a.full season more of passing yards than rogers

Thought  #1 -  For Ryan to continue, he'll need that freak Julio Jones, or someone like him.  Hard to get yards without receiving talent.

Thought #2 - Can you imagine how high maintenance a super model would be?  Wouldn't be worth it past one night, or a couple weeks... months.

Tandy likes this

15 hours ago, Tandy said:

Drew Brees has 7 more years than Ryan.   If Ryan played 7 years and threw the same number of yards he's thrown the last 7 years - he'd be 1200 yards shy of Brees total yards.

This. He's currently 6th amongst active players, and younger than them. For the most part Brees has been in a pass heavy Offense. 

Tandy likes this

16 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Stafford is eclipsing all of Ryan’s yardage records. 

Lol Matthew Stafford didn't even eclipse 4000 yards passing in 2018, which leaves Ryan alone in 2nd place all time of consecutive seasons with 4000 yards passing.

Tandy likes this

1 hour ago, droopy1592 said:

Stafford is eclipsing all of Ryan’s yardage records. 

I wouldn't say eclipsing.   Below is a comparison of the 1st 10 seasons (since Stafford only has 10 seasons).    Ryan has more yardage (also more games) over the time period - and while Stafford has more yards per game - he also has more attempts per game - and Ryan has more yards per attempt.     Ryan has 7.5 yards per attempt - Staff 7.1      Stafford has 38.3 attempts per game, Ryan 35.4.     But, for the first 10 years, Ryan has 41,796 yards vs. 38526 yards for Stafford.     

All of this is subjective and until all of these guys end their career - this is only projection based on the results through the first part of their career.    Ryan has quietly, without being heralded as a throwing threat in the NFL - really surpassed a lot of great quarterbacks in the NFL in yardage in his first 11 years - in fact, he's surpassed all NFL quarterbacks who have played the game.    He doesn't think about it - he doesn't talk about it - he just goes out and plays the game.    Most of our fans have no idea - and think that he's much further down on the list than he is among all the other NFL quarterbacks in the league now - much less in history.    He's very unnoticed in the NFL for what he's accomplished and it doesn't matter to him one bit.    He, like us, just wants that Lombardi.

50973595_10216226816495977_6020581346173

Drew4719 and No.11 like this

17 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Top-4, but he won’t catch Brees

Why? He has more yards than Brees at this same point in Brees’ career

7 minutes ago, RLD said:

That is probably the only thing Matty Choke has on his mind. HIS stats. NO SB victories in Atlanta as long as he is in Atlanta.

^ this guy

28 minutes ago, RLD said:

That is probably the only thing Matty Choke has on his mind. HIS stats. NO SB victories in Atlanta as long as he is in Atlanta.

New Orleans still lost. It’s ok, use your words...

The Daywalker and gkgrimes like this

2 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Lol Matthew Stafford didn't even eclipse 4000 yards passing in 2018, which leaves Ryan alone in 2nd place all time of consecutive seasons with 4000 yards passing.

Yeah let’s forget he’s one of the few to throw 5000 yards and if you take out his lowest season, he averages around 4500 yards a year. Keep that up and if he retires around 39 he would be right there, if not ahead of Ryan. He was the fastest to 30k. 

2 hours ago, RLD said:

I smell Saint.

2 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Yeah let’s forget he’s one of the few to throw 5000 yards and if you take out his lowest season, he averages around 4500 yards a year. Keep that up and if he retires around 39 he would be right there, if not ahead of Ryan. He was the fastest to 30k. 

No, not the fastest.   Maybe the fewest games - but not the fastest.   At the point in his career that Ryan reached 30,000 - 7 1/2 years - Stafford was still at 27k.   Peyton Manning was even faster than that and there may have been others - I'm not sure.   But - I do know that at 7.5 years - Ryan was at 30,168 yards, Stafford at 27,890 yards and Manning was at 30,993 yards.   

I love Stafford - loved him when he was at Georgia and wish him all the best now.    Unless they are playing us - I always want him to do well.   He's got a canon arm - that's for sure.   But the question is - will he stay durable - and to stay durable - will he remain as potent a thrower?   His 5000 yard year was 2011 - 8 years ago.   Since then - it's gone done every year except 1 - and then went down again last year.   I believe that is to keep him durable.

Further - Matt Ryan could easily have had a 5000 yard season if they didn't keep pulling him out when the team was ahead.   He had 4944 yards in 2016 - which is just 56 yards away from 5000 yards.   That year, there were at least 4 games where he spent part of - or all of the 4th quarter on the sideline because we had a big lead and I remember one game where he spent the entire 4th quarter and part of the 3rd quarter on the sideline.     

44 minutes ago, Tandy said:

No, not the fastest.   Maybe the fewest games - but not the fastest.   At the point in his career that Ryan reached 30,000 - 7 1/2 years - Stafford was still at 27k.   Peyton Manning was even faster than that and there may have been others - I'm not sure.   But - I do know that at 7.5 years - Ryan was at 30,168 yards, Stafford at 27,890 yards and Manning was at 30,993 yards.   

I love Stafford - loved him when he was at Georgia and wish him all the best now.    Unless they are playing us - I always want him to do well.   He's got a canon arm - that's for sure.   But the question is - will he stay durable - and to stay durable - will he remain as potent a thrower?   His 5000 yard year was 2011 - 8 years ago.   Since then - it's gone done every year except 1 - and then went down again last year.   I believe that is to keep him durable.

Further - Matt Ryan could easily have had a 5000 yard season if they didn't keep pulling him out when the team was ahead.   He had 4944 yards in 2016 - which is just 56 yards away from 5000 yards.   That year, there were at least 4 games where he spent part of - or all of the 4th quarter on the sideline because we had a big lead and I remember one game where he spent the entire 4th quarter and part of the 3rd quarter on the sideline.     

Wouldn't fewest games to reach a mark make him the fastest to ever reach that mark? How is there a difference? Julio Jones is the fastest ever to 10,000 receiving yards. Fastest because it took him the fewest games to reach that mark.

Matthew Stafford was the fastest to reach 30,000 yards passing because it took him the fewest games. He reached 30,000 yards in only 109 games.

FEWEST GAMES TO 30,000 YARDS

1. Matthew Stafford = 109
  2. Kurt Warner = 115
  3. Aaron Rodgers = 116
  4. Matt Ryan = 117
  5. Drew Brees = 120

FEWEST GAMES TO 40,000 YARDS

1. Matt Ryan = 151
  2. Drew Brees = 152
  3. Aaron Rodgers = 154
  4. Philip Rivers = 159
  5. Carson Palmer = 160
  6. Tom Brady = 162
  7. Ben Roethlisberger = 163

Matthew Stafford has 38,526 yards in 141 games. He averages 273 yards per game. At that pace he would reach 40,000 yards in 147 games breaking Matt Ryan's record.

Total Package likes this

15 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

If Ryan stays healthy and plays another 9 seasons then for sure. He will be top 5 when he hangs them up imo nk

Rodgers sat behind Farve for 3 years.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Wouldn't fewest games to reach a mark make him the fastest to ever reach that mark? How is there a difference? Julio Jones is the fastest ever to 10,000 receiving yards. Fastest because it took him the fewest games to reach that mark.

Matthew Stafford was the fastest to reach 30,000 yards passing because it took him the fewest games. He reached 30,000 yards in only 109 games.

FEWEST GAMES TO 30,000 YARDS

1. Matthew Stafford = 109
  2. Kurt Warner = 115
  3. Aaron Rodgers = 116
  4. Matt Ryan = 117
  5. Drew Brees = 120

FEWEST GAMES TO 40,000 YARDS

1. Matt Ryan = 151
  2. Drew Brees = 152
  3. Aaron Rodgers = 154
  4. Philip Rivers = 159
  5. Carson Palmer = 160
  6. Tom Brady = 162
  7. Ben Roethlisberger = 163

Matthew Stafford has 38,526 yards in 141 games. He averages 273 yards per game. At that pace he would reach 40,000 yards in 147 games breaking Matt Ryan's record.

It took him longer to play those games so no - it wasn't faster - just fewer games.

falconidae likes this

16 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Brady & Rodgers are low because it counts your 1st 11 years, regardless if you are the starter. Brady & Rodgers day Year 1