Latest Mocks From Around The Net

10 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Lawrence 

Bro I usually agree with you on everything. But I just don’t see it with Lawrence. He’s a worse prospect than Vita Vea and Danny Shelton were and neither guy had the impact expected. He looks goofy in space and clearly has issues carrying that much weight. He is violent, but I just don’t see how a guy like him is worth a 14th overall pick. He’d basically just be a less good Dontari Poe on a rookie contract. 

2 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Bro I usually agree with you on everything. But I just don’t see it with Lawrence. He’s a worse prospect than Vita Vea and Danny Shelton were and neither guy had the impact expected. He looks goofy in space and clearly has issues carrying that much weight. He is violent, but I just don’t see how a guy like him is worth a 14th overall pick. He’d basically just be a less good Dontari Poe on a rookie contract. 

I agree.   Defensive Tackles that don’t have elite penetration (Hey Now!) and passrush skills just aren’t worthy to me of first round consideration.   Not sure Lawrence has 3-down ability at next level.   Oliver, Gary, Simmons and Wilkins all have the three down talent.

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I agree.   Defensive Tackles that don’t have elite penetration (Hey Now!) and passrush skills just aren’t worthy to me of first round consideration.   Not sure Lawrence has 3-down ability at next level.   Oliver, Gary, Simmons and Wilkins all have the three down talent.

Bingo. I like all of those players. Gary has little production, but is a guy that could very likely have the highest ceiling. Big risk, big reward. 

2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

100% agree. I think he'll fall out of the 1st round. He's hasn't got the movement skills that Vea had.

4 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Truth? Not in love with the talent in this draft. You see I haven’t mocked.

5 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

I'd be fine with any of those tho I don't think Polite (or Sweat or Ferrell) is what we need in 1st round unless we dump Beasley AND can't get Bruce back.  I'm still think we need to go OL at 14 with so much depth at DL but we need help on both sides so whoever we get, needs to be good.

Agreed.

FA will tell us a lot. Then, if we got our choice of OL or DL at 14? You know teams gonna want to trade up.

5 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

I’m a Lawrence guy but you bring up valid concerns.  They are correctable concerns, but valid nonetheless 

That being said, I’d take mini Poe for 5 years

Edited by Falconsin2012
13 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’m a Lawrence guy but you bring up valid concerns.  They are correctable concerns, but valid nonetheless 

Honestly, if it’s a downgrade from Poe at 14? Take a better OL prospect and get a rookie OL contract for those 5 years. Address DL later and in FA before draft.

Mack isn’t getting younger and we don’t know if Wes is an answer long term. That’s 4 positions out of the 5 along the OL that could use some love. DL needs only a couple moves. Might be 1st rounder; might not. 2nd rounder or moving back into round 1 wouldn’t hurt if a guy we were thinking of at 14 fell far enough.

Lets say McCoy for a year or two in a rotation; Senat at the 1T rotating with Grady; McCoy rotating in base D and sub packages. Crawford at 5T or 3T depending on the situation and package.

Have Vic and Irvin back and suddenly we are drafting depth along the DL at pick 14? Instant starter might be only a 2 down guy and the FO is basically saying it’s Senat it at 1T for base D. (PUNny, But I do believe in Senat at 1T next year as rotation piece at minimum. McClain was our real problem of a failed FA move and weak(read cap limited) Fa last offseason.

I’m having a hard time seeing the draft without FA setting the stage. Right now there are many possibilities.

I lean toward a guy like Ford that could move around the line as part of a more extensive overhaul due the OL. Meanwhile, the D gets Quinn and some important pieces back plus a high 2nd rounder at minimum. If we added a couple mid-tier veteran front 7 defenders do we still ignore OL in round 1? That’s what it boils down to. Free Agency.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I like Lawrence alot, most folks don't understand what a difference a big-*** yet athletic DT like Dexter would do....which is make a bigger difference for this D than any other player we could draft, IMO.

If he is the falcons guy, I would trade down a few picks and grab him in the 20's.....then trade back up in draft and draft Okie OL Cody Ford. Do that, everything else is gravy. 

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I like Lawrence alot, will make a bigger difference for this D than any player we could draft, IMO. If he is the falcons guy, I would trade down a few picks and grab him in the 20's.....

I think we can’t risk trading down if it’s a your guy scenario. You only do that if blown away by remaining LOS players; and while having a favorite wouldn’t mind settling on another good option.

Thats how Ridley fell to us last year. Runs on other positions. Not as many QBs taken round 1 this year probably. DL will fall. OL? Harder to say.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I think we can’t risk trading down if it’s a your guy scenario. You only do that if blown away by remaining LOS players; and while having a favorite wouldn’t mind settling on another good option.

Thats how Ridley fell to us last year. Runs on other positions. Not as many QBs taken round 1 this year probably. DL will fall. OL? Harder to say.

Trading down carries risks, but smart teams like patriots always have a backup plan. We need to be smart this draft and take advantage of our position.

Seriously, we have the unique opportunity to be a dangerously rich young team due to fact we’re already one of the more talented teams in NFL with opp of drafting in top 15.....

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Trading down carries risks, but smart teams like patriots always have a backup plan. 

It’s fine when you can afford the luxury. Just make sure it’s not a greed play and you’re good...or missing out on a clear-cut “your board favorite” that you hope falls another 5-10 picks.

I don’t want a Taco instead of Takk scenario because another team called our moves like Falcons did the Cowgirls ;)

Edited by Ergo Proxy
2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

It’s fine when you can afford the luxury. Just make sure it’s not a greed play and you’re good...or missing out on a clear-cut “your board favorite” that you hope falls another 5-10 picks.

Please see my edit to my earlier post.....I think we can, my friend.  

40 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I like Lawrence alot, most folks don't understand what a difference a bid-*** yet athletic DT like DL would do....which is make a bigger difference for this D than any other player we could draft, IMO.

If he is the falcons guy, I would trade down a few picks and grab him in the 20's.....then trade back up in draft and draft Okie OL Cody Ford. Do that, everything else is gravy. 

The thing is.. when you can sign a Shelton or Snacks in FA for relatively cheap to do the same thing, it just doesn't seem efficient to use a high pick on a space eater. I recognize this type of player's importance for sure. Mebane was instrumental to the Seahawks D, but players like this are easier to find elsewhere. For another example, Mebane is also a FA.

Trading down for Lawrence would be a decent strategy, though.

23 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

The thing is.. when you can sign a Shelton or Snacks in FA for relatively cheap to do the same thing, it just doesn't seem efficient to use a high pick on a space eater. I recognize this type of player's importance for sure. Mebane was instrumental to the Seahawks D, but players like this are easier to find elsewhere. For another example, Mebane is also a FA.

Mebane? I didn’t keep up with his play this year, so I dunno..  except he’s almost as old as you claim I am, my man. :ninja:

In all seriousness, our D needs a big boy with Lawrence’s athleticism in the middle. You can get one (big boy) or the other (elite athleticism) but rarely both. 

I do agree drafting him at 14 is early, at least before combine dress rehearsals.. My secret hope is we draft OL at 14 and find a way to get Lawrence later on in draft as well. 

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Yep. I’d take Wilkins before Lawrence. That PED thing likely puts him in the no no category anyway. Sadly it might be the case with Simmons, too, with that old issue.

21 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

What’s Gravy doing these days? 

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I think Wilkins could be the next Donald.

16 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

Just a thought, rather than giving Vic 12 million ( you think his attorney is going to give up 4 mill a year for the home team) why not draft 6:6 Montrez Sweat? He is impressive at Senior Bowl practices. Has great SEC stats. Some think he is playing his way to a top 10 draft. In the 2nd round an OL (pray that Dillard slips through or maybe Lindstrom. In the 3rd take your big DT like that big DT D. Mack who has been pushing people around. Or take

Auburn's D. Russell or that guy doing flips at 320 lbs. with one of the 4ths and Oklahoma's  Dru Sambia. Take Lamont OC from UGA in the 5th?

Just say NO to Vic getting 12m and ill be happy....trade him for a 4-5 rd pick

19 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

CBS

ATL.png14. Atlanta Falcons Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson.

When you have Grady Jarrett why not add a second Clemson defensive tackle with him? Two Clemson defensive tackles are better than one Clemson defensive tackle.

247SPORTS

ATL.png14. FALCONS - JACHAI POLITE, DE/OLB, FLORIDA

Florida's Jachai Polite a more stout than a Montez Sweat or a Josh Allen. He is a very good pass rusher though. He recorded 45 tackles, 11 sacks, six forced fumbles and four pass deflections last season. The Falcons' season was derailed with a slew of unforeseen injuries. Polite can step in immediately and start for the Falcons.

NYUP.com

ATL.png14. Atlanta Falcons: Devin White, LB, LSU

Devin White is arguably the top linebacker in this draft and the Falcons need to as many top caliber players as they can find. White is known for his ability to pursue in both the pass and run game, but will need to develop instinctually at the next level.

SportingNews.com
ATL.png14. Atlanta Falcons Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

The Falcons have had success turning to the Tigers for defensive linemen, and they should consider going back to Clemson for big space-eater in Lawrence (6-4, 351 pounds). Grady Jarrett is a priority re-sign for their defensive line before he becomes a free agent in March, but they need a run-stuffer to put between him and the edge-rushing Vic Beasley.

BleacherReport

ATL.png14. Atlanta Falcons: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston 

no info

WalterFootball

ATL.pngAtlanta Falcons: Jeffery Simmons, DE/DT, Mississippi State MississippiState_logo.gif 
The Falcons were expected to address their defensive line during the draft, but the spend too much energy doing it. They'll need to make amends for that next spring. Jeffrey Simmons is an extremely disruptive interior force, but was found guilty of simple assault charges. He could be a top-five pick if teams are fine with his off-the-field issues, as he has an amazing blend of power and athleticism. 

Pick change; previously Christian Wilkins, DT 

great post