ket222

Can we afford Julio, Grady and one BIG TIME FA??

144 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, atljbo said:

Ppl must stop comparing us to the Patriots... IDK how they do it .... NOOOOOO Team has been able to do it like the patriots.

You gotta pay your goid players ... Just like Jake last year .. Grady gotta get paid

Their QB takes less money than his market value..

Funny, The MLB Players Union urged Tom Glavine to get market value when he left The Braves for The Mets.

The NFLPA dis not for their QB.

If you make all the money, you should be able to win with a bad O-Line, WRs, and TEs, and defense .

or strike to get rid of The NFL Salary Cap

Edited by Rise

3 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Well we're not getting Grady for 10 mil, so that settles that...

That can easily be his cap hit...in fact his cap hit may be lower.

A good example is Matthews...he signed year 72 million dollar deal and the cap hit for his first 2 years averages out to less than 10 million.

it doesn't matter what a guy makes...... it matters how it is structured

Geneaut, kiwifalcon and Osiruz like this

10 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The Rams poured all their resources into DL last off-season.  Donald & Suh...sure, it looked good last weekend in the 2nd half.  But they still had a bottom 3rd defense and only surrendered 2 less ppg than our historically bad defense

Yep. . . You need balance throughout the team and not just superstars in a few positions. The Eagles win the SB with Foles and a TE who lead thje team in receiving but didn't crack a thousand.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

14 minutes ago, Halcon-1 said:

Yep. . . You need balance throughout the team and not just superstars in a few positions. The Eagles win the SB with Foles and a TE who lead thje team in receiving but didn't crack a thousand.

And their All Pro LT on IR, along with their WLB

Halcon-1 likes this

2 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

After all our cuts and rescending Beasleys contracts I am sure we will be able to do more than we all think

Yep... there are ways to make this all work. Restructure Jones contract to give immediate cap relief, and get some more help in FA, and then draft solid DL that can be serious players in their second/third years while still on rookie contracts when Julio's cap hit gets bigger.  

Franchise tag Grady if neccesary...

Restructure deals to be cap friendly next year and take the cap hit down the road when the cap will have grown.

Dimi is supposed to be good at this, and I'm sure there are ways. If he can't make it work then I begin to doubt his value as it is largely his work that put us in this position. He is responsible for our roster and our position vs the cap. If we can't figure out how to pay our must keep players and fill our needs then that is on him, is it not?

Make it happen, Dimi.

Geneaut likes this

8 hours ago, Geneaut said:

He is still ascending. If we pay him $15M per now ... at the end of a 5 year contract $15M per will be what average DTs make and we'll be 'saving' money at that time. So if he's not worth $15M today he sure as heck will be in 2-3 years as DT salaries continue to go up. The FO can make the numbers work. 

The thing is I don’t understand is how everyone comments on what this or that guys worth.What does that even mean.If your up for a contract what your worth means nothing.If your in the upper echelon which Jarrett is your benchmarked on what that upper echelon makes so if he’s benchmarked say next to a Fletcher Cox that’s the money his agent will shoot for.It has nothing to do if he’s as good as Cox or not.

End of the day these agents drive these deals and there going for the jugular they don’t care about the team fans owners or what not there out there to get the best deal possible for there client.

NFL is money revenue driven league the agents no this so for the most part  upper echelon talent gets paid.Thats the lay of the land so when you hear the constant this guy isn’t as good as that guy it means jack**** and the sooner the fans realise this the easier these contracts are to swallow.

End of the day it’s the cost of doing business.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy and Geneaut like this

20 hours ago, Stryka said:

Yea I think he was talking defensively.  How could I not put Rod Coleman up there.  Dude was 10 sacks period if he was healthy.  A great signing from Oakland.  So then if we rank them.  J. Abraham, R. Coleman and L. Milloy top 3 defensive additions while T. Gonzalez, A. Mack, and M. Turner are our 3 best offensive???

Curious to your thoughts..

Milloy was a good mention. He was real good for us, I would rank him more in good/very good like Clabo, Dahl though. We had a handful of good FA signings on the 98 SB team too.

turner and Coleman were easily my favorite FA signings. Coleman was so overlooked because he was a Falcon. Bringing him over from OAk and kicking him inside changed his career. He was Geno Atkins before Geno Atkins. 285 LBs and strong as an ox. It’s a shame injuries derailed his game. Should have been a pro bowler 3-4 times. Would have loved to see a couple of seasons with him, Kerney and Abe together!:o

i would rank:

Turner - huge part of rebounding a mess of a team and Ryan’s success.

Coleman - see above

Mack - center has been a mess since losing McClure. Perennial pro bowler.

Clabo/Dahl - what values for UDFAs who bounced around. A couple of mean SOBs too.

Milloy - provided needed leadership and a winning attitude.

Gonzo was a trade. This team has done really well in trading for players. Gonzo, Rison, Samuel, Levitre, Abraham, etc. a lot of good value. Generally I don’t recall many bad trades, with George and Price being the two big duds.

Stryka and Osiruz like this

21 hours ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

You're sleeping on Peerless Price and Joe Horn. 

Lol....killing me!  At least Joe Horn brought some leadership and knowledge of the Saints.

Ergo Proxy likes this

15 hours ago, Rise said:

Their QB takes less money than his market value..

Funny, The MLB Players Union urged Tom Glavine to get market value when he left The Braves for The Mets.

The NFLPA dis not for their QB.

If you make all the money, you should be able to win with a bad O-Line, WRs, and TEs, and defense .

or strike to get rid of The NFL Salary Cap

Brady’s CAP hit is 23 million this year and 27 mill next year

23 hours ago, g-dawg said:

YES, that is what is so amazing about the B&B run.   Don't believe we will ever see another run of success that great in our lifetimes.  Could have easily won a few more SuperBowls - of course they could have lost the Seattle one as well.

And the Atlanta one...

FalconsIn2012 and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

Lol....killing me!  At least Joe Horn brought some leadership and knowledge of the Saints.

Yep. His arrival coincided with Roddy becoming good. Either that or Robiskie's foot up his ***

Stryka and Ergo Proxy like this

15 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

That can easily be his cap hit...in fact his cap hit may be lower.

A good example is Matthews...he signed year 72 million dollar deal and the cap hit for his first 2 years averages out to less than 10 million.

it doesn't matter what a guy makes...... it matters how it is structured

True, but I think we both know his cap hit is not going to be less than 10 mil.  I think his cap hit will be 13 +.

22 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

• Best Trades - John Abraham, Tony Gonzales, Andre Rison, Chris Hinton, Asante Samuel
  • Best Free Agents - Jessie Tuggle, Michael Turner, Terrance Mathis, Alex Mack, Rod Coleman
  • Best Draft Picks - Matt Ryan, Tommy Nobis, Julio Jones, Deion Sanders, Roddy White

When its all said and done, Debo will probably be in the best draft picks category.

Ergo Proxy and Stryka like this

We can free up close to 24 mil by cutting Schaeder, Fusco, Reed and Beasley.. None of these guys produced last year and they are all easily replaced. 

Add that 24 mil to our current cap of 20 mil and we'd have 44 mil to work with. We're going to need to give a big chunk of that to our FA players including somewhere between 13-15 mil to Grady. Depending on who we resign it'll cost anywhere between 10-18 mil. That will bring us to 24-32 mil approximately spent.

44 minus 24-32 will give us a surplus of 12-20 mil left. We'll also need some for our draft picks so subtract another 7 mil. So we will have some to spend but must do so wisely 

51 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Regarding best FA signings, has Morten Anderson been mentioned yet?  He’s responsible for my favorite all-time Falcons moment. 

And we took him from the Taints. 

Love the absolute arrogance of Morten Anderson.    Need more guys like him that just have no doubts in their ability to get the job done.   Still think he is best placekicker of all time although their are others that have made big kicks and done it for a long time.

JDaveG and Osiruz like this

1 hour ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

When its all said and done, Debo will probably be in the best draft picks category.

There are several current Falcons that could make the top five all time best Falcons draft picks list. Debo, Grady, Free, Bloodline, Ridley, Takk, Neal, Beasley, etc. They'll have to surpass the likes of Matt Ryan, Tommy Nobis, Julio Jones, Deion Sanders, Roddy White, Claude Humphrey, William Andrews, Steve Bartkowski, Mike Kenn, Bill Fralic, Jeff Van Note, Gerald Riggs, Mike Vick, Patrick Kerney, Keith Brooking, Scott Case, R.C. Theileman and Todd McClure though.

10 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

There are several current Falcons that could make the top five all time best Falcons draft picks list. Debo, Grady, Free, Bloodline, Ridley, Takk, Neal, Beasley, etc. They'll have to surpass the likes of Matt Ryan, Tommy Nobis, Julio Jones, Deion Sanders, Roddy White, Claude Humphrey, William Andrews, Steve Bartkowski, Mike Kenn, Jeff Van Note, Gerald Riggs, Mike Vick, Patrick Kerney, Keith Brooking, Scott Case, R.C. Theileman and Todd McClure though.

while it's not sexy due to the position (Left Tackle) - the best all-time draft pick so far would be Mike Kenn.   He was consistently great for 17 years and a 5x Pro-Bowler (domination + longevity).    If he played for a glitzier team that won a lot he would be in the HOF - with Falcons, he gets no consideration which is a crime.

Matt Ryan will one-day overtake Mike Kenn but not yet as longevity is a big part of the "all-time Falcon" stuff.   As great as Deion was, he was a Falcon for 4-5 years, sorry that's not long enough.

Image result for mike kenn

Total Package likes this

59 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Love the absolute arrogance of Morten Anderson.    Need more guys like him that just have no doubts in their ability to get the job done.   Still think he is best placekicker of all time although their are others that have made big kicks and done it for a long time.

Vinateri for me that guy was lights out.

Even Bryant deserves an honourable mention,man at his age I reckon he can still kick them from 55 + yards in a dome.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Vinateri for me that guy was lights out.

Even Bryant deserves an honourable mention,man at his age I reckon he can still kick them from 55 + yards in a dome.

yeah Vinateri was money and, because of the teams he has been on, has had the most opportunity for big kicks for sure.  Bryant is money as well.   All three deserving consideration for the honor.

kiwifalcon likes this