ket222

Can we afford Julio, Grady and one BIG TIME FA??

144 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Stryka said:

You say this like its easy to just replace high quality starters.  Sanu and Mack are still producing at high levels.  Not going to cut them ust to free up money.  7 Mill a year for Sanu when the top WRs are making double that isn't bad.  Mack isn't getting cut...he is our best OL. Cutting underperforming players like Schraeder and Alford make sense but then we need better replacements for guys who once were at probowl or close level.

I said next offseason. These guys aren’t getting any younger. The Falcons can easily pay their young players and cycle through. That’s how the NFL works. You constantly get younger, avoid bad contracts and draft well. The Falcons have way more cap flexibility than people are willing to admit. 

Stryka likes this

3 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I really hope he doesn’t want AD/Mack type money. I’d draw the line at 14 mil per year. 

I pretty much guarantee TD has offered a Jake Matthews like contract and it has been rejected.

18 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

I'm not commenting on Sanu's worthiness or anything. I'm just saying if you want extra money to sign a shiny new free agent, he's an easy cut. 

I mean I guess, but then you've created another hole on your roster to fill. I'd burn Alford, Schraeder, and Reed first. 

Without Sanu our WR corps starts to look thin especially if we don't resign Hardy. 

JDaveG likes this

From Spot Trac:

2019 Projected Franchise and Transition Tenders

Position Franchise Tag Transition Tag
QB $20,870,000 $18,240,000
DE $16,580,000 $13,366,000
WR $15,208,000 $12,763,000
LB $14,923,000 $12,376,000
OL $14,553,000 $13,035,000
CB $14,547,000 $12,107,000
DT $13,033,000 $10,069,000
RB $11,198,000 $8,853,000
S $10,799,000 $8,924,000
TE $9,846,000 $7,964,000
ST $5,088,000 $4,575,000
Edited by Geneaut
Schwarzwald and FalconsIn2012 like this

21 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I pretty much guarantee TD has offered a Jake Matthews like contract and it has been rejected.

If you offer him a 5 year $15M per year average, and by the end of the contract upper epsilon DTs will be making $20M per year average and it will be a bargain. Give him a big bonus and spread that hit out over 5 years. Done.

It's like QBs. By the time Matt gets to his final year he'll be mid-pack for his cap hit that season.

Edited by Geneaut
kiwifalcon and atljbo like this

26 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I said next offseason. These guys aren’t getting any younger. The Falcons can easily pay their young players and cycle through. That’s how the NFL works. You constantly get younger, avoid bad contracts and draft well. The Falcons have way more cap flexibility than people are willing to admit. 

Oh ok yea unless guys are continuing their performance as they age, you don't overpay for less.  Personally Alford has 1 good season under his belt.  He was solid in others and atrocious in 2018.  Schrader on the other hand had 3 or 4 good seasons and just fell off a cliff this past year.  Idk if any can get back to their top form.

9 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

People act like signing a super stud FA is a common occurance in the NFL. It isn't. Teams with bonafide super star players tend to keep those players; this isn't the NBA.

I mean what super stud is out there this season that fits our needs? We don't need a stud QB, RB or a WR. Some beefy boys on the lines. Doubt we look at Suh for example cause Falcon Filter, but maybe Demarcus Lawrence if we let Vic go.

Edited by Geneaut

Patriots will draft late again but they have TWELVE draft picks - 12!!!

YES, Patriots miss on a ton of picks - but they have a lot of picks!   Also let players walk more than most teams.

Think about this - Belicheck and Brady won their first SuperBowl together 18yrs ago.  Belicheck has likely churned that roster at every position 5+ times (except QB).

Simply disgustingly amazing.

There’s certain players with in your team in which are your foundation is built on Jarrett is one of those players.Its like when you build a house you’ve got to have certain things that hold the place up and that’s where you spend your money.You take away the strength of your foundation then your in quicksand and will sink.

Schwarzwald and Geneaut like this

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Patriots will draft late again but they have TWELVE draft picks - 12!!!

YES, Patriots miss on a ton of picks - but they have a lot of picks!   Also let players walk more than most teams.

Think about this - Belicheck and Brady won their first SuperBowl together 18yrs ago.  Belicheck has likely churned that roster at every position 5+ times (except QB).

Simply disgustingly amazing.

More than 5 times.  Constant roster turnover is essential if you want your message to not go stale.  Look at Seahawks....gutted the veterans and got better.  It’s BB wanted Gronk gone...roster turnover is essential

g-dawg likes this

4 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

There’s certain players with in your team in which are your foundation is built on Jarrett is one of those players.Its like when you build a house you’ve got to have certain things that hold the place up and that’s where you spend your money.You take away the strength of your foundation then your in quicksand and will sink.

We are going to pay him what he wants basically. I can't think of many homegrown core guys we've let leave since TD got here. The details are going to be the kicker as TD is going to make Grady happy, but in a way that doesn't limit us this season. It can be done.

Edited by Geneaut
kiwifalcon likes this

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

When you are paying a franchise QB elite money, I’m not sure DT qualifies as cornerstone piece

The Rams and Eagles could do it due to QB’s being on rookie salaries.  When Goff gets paid, you’ll see the effect the Donald contract has on the roster

Edited by Falconsin2012

1 minute ago, MAD597 said:

We are going to find out cause we need that and more this off season to be a contender next year.

Meh ... we were almost literally 2 plays away from making the playoffs this season with the mess we had with this roster. The NFL is hard to predict. Having a franchise QB and a superstar like JJ almost always keeps you in spitting distance if you can just manage mediocrity everywhere else.

I get you though ... to be a serious contender we need more, and I think AB is wanting to be a serious contender and not just a wildcrad team.

18 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Gotta keep Sanu

I will always pound my chest for Sanu.  One of my favorite players and a glue guy all great teams have.  But you can’t keep everything.  I was always under the assumption that we drafted Ridley & Oliver to replace Sanu & Alford

Edited by Falconsin2012

12 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

When you are paying a franchise QB elite money, I’m not sure DT qualifies as cornerstone piece

The Rams and Eagles could do it due to QB’s being on rookie salaries.  When Goff gets paid, you’ll see the effect the Donald contract has on the roster

Cornerstone mate you gotta have them both sides of the ball.

Im not sure what the problem is to be honest what the cap the imaginary line that we are scared to get near of.Yeah unlike alot round here I don’t mind seeing drafted and developed talent getting paid.Its a disease round here for some reason alot don’t like seeing our guys who have earnt these deals get paid and go south on them.

As for Ryan’s contract 72,104,150 who cares TD and co have successfully built this team round Ryan’s deal for a decade now.All of a sudden his contracts now an issue.Sorry man I don’t agree.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

13 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

More than 5 times.  Constant roster turnover is essential if you want your message to not go stale.  Look at Seahawks....gutted the veterans and got better.  It’s BB wanted Gronk gone...roster turnover is essential

YES, that is what is so amazing about the B&B run.   Don't believe we will ever see another run of success that great in our lifetimes.  Could have easily won a few more SuperBowls - of course they could have lost the Seattle one as well.

52 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

From Spot Trac:

2019 Projected Franchise and Transition Tenders

Position Franchise Tag Transition Tag
QB $20,870,000 $18,240,000
DE $16,580,000 $13,366,000
WR $15,208,000 $12,763,000
LB $14,923,000 $12,376,000
OL $14,553,000 $13,035,000
CB $14,547,000 $12,107,000
DT $13,033,000 $10,069,000
RB $11,198,000 $8,853,000
S $10,799,000 $8,924,000
TE $9,846,000 $7,964,000
ST $5,088,000 $4,575,000

Based off of this, if Grady wants 15+mil, he will be tagged and likely will be lost to FA the following year. Keep in mind, the Falcons would get a 3rd round comp pick if Grady left.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

YES, that is what is so amazing about the B&B run.   Don't believe we will ever see another run of success that great in our lifetimes.  Could have easily won a few more SuperBowls - of course they could have lost the Seattle one as well.

He does it by removing emotion.  Let Solder and Brown walk cause I drafted Wynn, a cheaper option for 5 years.   He would let Grady walk and draft a replacement, Oliver.  

I don’t believe he would let Debo out of Foxboro though.  He is our cornerstone on D 

Edited by Falconsin2012

2 hours ago, Stryka said:

Yea I think he was talking defensively.  How could I not put Rod Coleman up there.  Dude was 10 sacks period if he was healthy.  A great signing from Oakland.  So then if we rank them.  J. Abraham, R. Coleman and L. Milloy top 3 defensive additions while T. Gonzalez, A. Mack, and M. Turner are our 3 best offensive???

Curious to your thoughts..

You're sleeping on Peerless Price and Joe Horn. 

Born Again Georgian likes this

9 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He does it by removing emotion.  Let Solder and Brown walk cause I drafted Wynn, a cheaper option for 5 years.   He would let Grady walk and draft a replacement, Oliver.  

I don’t believe he would let Debo out of Foxboro though.  He is our cornerstone on D 

YES, you are definitely onto something there - however, I would say having Tom Brady who is the GOAT - and also having him play at about 25% under his market value helps as well.

Belicheck definitely has a system - he actually wanted to re-sign Garropolo and let Brady walk but the owner got in the way - of course it's still working and Pats probably get at least this SB and maybe one more - but could cost them in the long run.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 hours ago, Stryka said:

Poe was solid, Clayborn was solid,  Hartwell and Edwards were trash.  Asante Samuel was had in a trade but he was a big part of our 2012 success. J. Abraham was the biggest addition on defense EVER.  Like Samuel....via trade though.  We haven't signed a big time stud in a minute.

3 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Mack, Coleman and Turner are the only great (not just good like Dahl, Clabo, etc) FA pick ups i recall in the past 20 years. 

• Best Trades - John Abraham, Tony Gonzales, Andre Rison, Chris Hinton, Asante Samuel
  • Best Free Agents - Jessie Tuggle, Michael Turner, Terrance Mathis, Alex Mack, Rod Coleman
  • Best Draft Picks - Matt Ryan, Tommy Nobis, Julio Jones, Deion Sanders, Roddy White
JDaveG and Schwarzwald like this

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'd rather them attempt to restructure than cut. Work Gage in for another season and then let Sanu go after that

Alford and Schrader fell off a cliff last year. Makes much more sense to let two guys go that you can easily upgrade over than to have them occupy roster spots.

Schwarzwald likes this