ket222

Can we afford Julio, Grady and one BIG TIME FA??

144 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The only problem is that without Grady the problems the Falcons have on the dline are magnified by 10.

Good DTs are expensive.  And we've seen that Quinn can't do what the Pats can do.

The Falcons had their chance to draft Donald and those only come along once a generation.

The Rams poured all their resources into DL last off-season.  Donald & Suh...sure, it looked good last weekend in the 2nd half.  But they still had a bottom 3rd defense and only surrendered 2 less ppg than our historically bad defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredibly easily, actually. The Falcons’ cap situation is in a very favourable spot. Schraeder is an easy June 1st cut. Alford isn’t due guaranteed money anymore. Tru can be June 1st’d next offseason for Debo’s extension. Sanu’s 7mil can be dropped next offseason. Mack’s 10mil can be dropped next offseason. Vic’s 12mil will drop either this season or next. Julio’s extension will be more of a conversion to guaranteed money than anything. The cap continues to rise. The Falcons have TONS of cap availability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Incredibly easily, actually. The Falcons’ cap situation is in a very favourable spot. Schraeder is an easy June 1st cut. Alford isn’t due guaranteed money anymore. Tru can be June 1st’d next offseason for Debo’s extension. Sanu’s 7mil can be dropped next offseason. Mack’s 10mil can be dropped next offseason. Vic’s 12mil will drop either this season or next. Julio’s extension will be more of a conversion to guaranteed money than anything. The cap continues to rise. The Falcons have TONS of cap availability. 

The Mack & Sanu cuts are ones to keep an eye on in 2020.  People won’t like it but get out a year early rather than a year late

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The only problem is that without Grady the problems the Falcons have on the dline are magnified by 10.

Good DTs are expensive.  And we've seen that Quinn can't do what the Pats can do.

The Falcons had their chance to draft a Donald and those only come along once a generation.

The Falcons should have focused more on the dline last offseason.  They played the waiting game and now they also have significant issues on the oline as well.

Only issue I have with this, and I will say the same to anyone who says this....while that is true, that calls into question what about the talent around him in general. I'm not even going to discuss Beasley. I'm truly going to need to see true consistency from him before completely labeling him as a success or not. But, just like Grady, you can find someone to replace him in the draft, you just have to make sure you make the right decision. I know it's always simple when you type it out and say it but it's true man. We just rarely get to experience it as Falcon fans

 

4 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Yeah that dude is whack, he posted franchise tag numbers from like 8 years ago. The DT tag last year was 13.9 million.

yeah I figured that wasn't accurate at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

We could try our best...lol.  I bring them up too often and apologize.  They just fascinate me.

People say Trent Brown won’t leave Foxboro.  But they won’t pay him cause they drafted Isaiah Wynn in the 1st last year.  They just think ahead.  The Patriots like move is to let Grady walk after a year in franchise tag and draft Oliver this year

I agree m. They are amazing.. They are not the norm tho .. 

I have no doubt they let brown walk like they let their LT last year walk because somebody is going to over pay.... They have Wynn just waiting..

 

The biggest reason I disagree with you on the Grady thing is our system ... Us mainly rushing 4 in our cover 3 .. We rely HEAVILY on the front 4 in this scheme. 

 

Idk how to explain the pats... They are at the bottom of getting sacks but at the top of getting ints with there pressure packages.

 

The Pats is just different

FalconsIn2012 and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we can if we cut the shredder, and restructure Alford and Beas. We can sign a tackle like Daryl Williams and NT like King Kong Suh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The Rams poured all their resources into DL last off-season.  Donald & Suh...sure, it looked good last weekend in the 2nd half.  But they still had a bottom 3rd defense and only surrendered 2 less ppg than our historically bad defense

And they're in the Super Bowl

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Only issue I have with this, and I will say the same to anyone who says this....while that is true, that calls into question what about the talent around him in general. I'm not even going to discuss Beasley. I'm truly going to need to see true consistency from him before completely labeling him as a success or not. But, just like Grady, you can find someone to replace him in the draft, you just have to make sure you make the right decision. I know it's always simple when you type it out and say it but it's true man. We just rarely get to experience it as Falcon fans

And there's the rub.

You take Grady off this dline and the disaster becomes an atrocity.  We actually saw what that looked like for several games this season.... and it was very bad.

I think we both agree the chances of drafting a rookie that is going to come in and be an immediate pro bowl player is minimal.  Replacing Grady through the draft will take about 2 years for that player to develop. 

The Falcons have known resigning Grady wasn't going to be cheap.  Their problem is they have no leverage.  They need him and his agent knows that.  Again they compounded this problem by ignoring the DT/dline position last year until the 3rd round.  They focused on skill positions and got killed in the trenches and now they have to pay the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, atljbo said:

I agree m. They are amazing.. They are not the norm tho .. 

I have no doubt they let brown walk like they let their LT last year walk because somebody is going to over pay.... They have Wynn just waiting..

 

The biggest reason I disagree with you on the Grady thing is our system ... Us mainly rushing 4 in our cover 3 .. We rely HEAVILY on the front 4 in this scheme. 

 

Idk how to explain the pats... They are at the bottom of getting sacks but at the top of getting ints with there pressure packages.

 

The Pats is just different

They overpay their secondary.  Always have...but so do we.  That DL swallowed up Mahomes with constant pressure.  I was surprised. 

It’s  funny they see Clayborn at 3.5 mill as an overpriced bum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Cut Alford, Sanu, Schraeder, and Beasley. 

 

3 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Negative on Sanu.

I'd rather them attempt to restructure than cut. Work Gage in for another season and then let Sanu go after that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Rod Coleman was finding lightning in a bottle while striking gold at the same time.

The defense changed overnight.  What Mack and Turner were to the offense Coleman was to the defense.

Abraham was great but he didn't impact the entire d-line like Coleman did.  When Coleman was signed all of a sudden everyone was making plays.  Kerney became an all Pro and Brady Smith was making plays.... who can forget the strip sack for a TD against the Rams?  Jasper was making plays!

Bro you giving me Nostalgia with Kerney, Brady, Ed Jasper and Coleman.  We did have some bums back then too with Lavalais aka Lava Lamp bka mr invisible.  Coleman did take the DL to another level.

I think Abraham may have not improved the DL but him being the terror that he was was plenty enough. He wrecked game plans and was as elite as it gets regarding pass rushers for us.  He was stout vs the run too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And they're in the Super Bowl

And there's the rub.

You take Grady off this dline and the disaster becomes an atrocity.  We actually saw what that looked like for several games this season.... and it was very bad.

I think we both agree the chances of drafting a rookie that is going to come in and be an immediate pro bowl player is minimal.  Replacing Grady through the draft will take about 2 years for that player to develop. 

The Falcons have known resigning Grady wasn't going to be cheap.  Their problem is they have no leverage.  They need him and his agent knows that.  Again they compounded this problem by ignoring the DT/dline position last year until the 3rd round.  They focused on skill positions and got killed in the trenches and now they have to pay the price.

I think they thought they struck gold with Senat. Crawford and the other guy who's name I cant remember are solid backups. I think it all depends on who the first round target is. but yeah, I agree about all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

They overpay their secondary.  Always have...but so do we.  That DL swallowed up Mahomes with constant pressure.  I was surprised. 

It’s  funny they see Clayborn at 3.5 mill as an overpriced bum

Well it's kinda different .. Our CBs has been our back bone (until this year) ... 

But we havnt been paying anybody on our DLINE or LB.... That's about to change tho... That's why I think it's a good chance Alford is gone.

 

Even TD has stated... We was able to pay our CBs because our LBS and DLINE has been under rookie contracts

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And they're in the Super Bowl

And there's the rub.

You take Grady off this dline and the disaster becomes an atrocity.  We actually saw what that looked like for several games this season.... and it was very bad.

I think we both agree the chances of drafting a rookie that is going to come in and be an immediate pro bowl player is minimal.  Replacing Grady through the draft will take about 2 years for that player to develop. 

The Falcons have known resigning Grady wasn't going to be cheap.  Their problem is they have no leverage.  They need him and his agent knows that.  Again they compounded this problem by ignoring the DT/dline position last year until the 3rd round.  They focused on skill positions and got killed in the trenches and now they have to pay the price.

The idea if you let him walk after a year on the tag is to have his replacement on the roster.  With Oliver we would.

its just an idea.  Doesn’t mean it’s the right way to go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

 

I'd rather them attempt to restructure than cut. Work Gage in for another season and then let Sanu go after that

Cutting this season isn't smart to me. Sanu plays to his contract, and some. Having Gage get another year under his belt is perfect. When Koetter's offense is clicking having multiple good WRs is a requirement.

JDaveG and ya_boi_j like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope.

Gone are the days of going out and being buyers at the top of free agency.   Money/Cap Space has to be hoarded for our own players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Well it's kinda different .. Our CBs has been our back bone (until this year) ... 

But we havnt been paying anybody on our DLINE or LB.... That's about to change tho... That's why I think it's a good chance Alford is gone.

 

Even TD has stated... We was able to pay our CBs because our LBS and DLINE has been under rookie contracts

I see it different.  In 2016 we lived off our edge rush and FF.  In 2017 Poe & Grady anchored our defense.  This year we hoped to lean on our corners but without Rico & Neal they fell flat

Stryka likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Incredibly easily, actually. The Falcons’ cap situation is in a very favourable spot. Schraeder is an easy June 1st cut. Alford isn’t due guaranteed money anymore. Tru can be June 1st’d next offseason for Debo’s extension. Sanu’s 7mil can be dropped next offseason. Mack’s 10mil can be dropped next offseason. Vic’s 12mil will drop either this season or next. Julio’s extension will be more of a conversion to guaranteed money than anything. The cap continues to rise. The Falcons have TONS of cap availability. 

You say this like its easy to just replace high quality starters.  Sanu and Mack are still producing at high levels.  Not going to cut them ust to free up money.  7 Mill a year for Sanu when the top WRs are making double that isn't bad.  Mack isn't getting cut...he is our best OL. Cutting underperforming players like Schraeder and Alford make sense but then we need better replacements for guys who once were at probowl or close level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Goodness I envy them. Heck they don't mind trading away their bests and still don't miss a beat

They are perpetually drafting in the bottom of the rounds, too.

GO FALCONS!!!!!

FalconsIn2012, g-dawg and ya_boi_j like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Cutting this season isn't smart to me. Sanu plays to his contract, and some. Having Gage get another year under his belt is perfect. When Koetter's offense is clicking having multiple good WRs is a requirement.

yep

Geneaut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MarkMc44 said:

They are perpetually drafting in the bottom of the rounds, too.

GO FALCONS!!!!!

It’s good to be King.  Urban Meyer quote below is amusing about Belichick only coaching  a player he likes personally

“I’m always amazed how he takes these non-stars and makes them stars. He takes these players that you haven’t really heard much about and all of a sudden they’re making great plays in the biggest games of the year,” Meyer said via Landof10.com. “I started asking him about it and he made this point to me and I shared it with our team. He said, ‘At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around and that’s it.’ He said, ‘I’m not going to coach anybody else

Edited by Falconsin2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need DL, you don't let a top DL guy walk. You sign him and continue to build.  Some guys will eventually have to leave but they will be the guys with upside that are gonna get paid from a desperate team that needs to satisfy fans.

RT now we are one of the teams in that position so I'm not sure how FA moves. 

We need a guard for sure and a quality dline guy and possibly a corner but the lines must look better. 

JDaveG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Negative on Sanu.

I'm not commenting on Sanu's worthiness or anything. I'm just saying if you want extra money to sign a shiny new free agent, he's an easy cut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Personally, if the rumors are even close to being true, I pray to god they just let Grady walk. He's not worth that type of money at all. But the market is the market. Now i'm sure this isn't close to being accurate but if this is true then I'd tag him and see what he does this season before breaking the bank on him

http://legacynfl.boards.net/thread/7625/2019-franchise-tag-prices

I really hope he doesn’t want AD/Mack type money. I’d draw the line at 14 mil per year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now