ket222

Can we afford Julio, Grady and one BIG TIME FA??

144 posts in this topic

Let's assume that we can only keep Julio and Grady with worst case scenario contracts - basically, not getting Grady for 10 million but more like 16 million; and getting Julio for a high end contract.  

Will we be able to afford one of the big time free agents for the Offensive line?  or are we stuck with a couple mid level talent FAs?  

I assume we can't keep coleman and alford since we have to pay so much for Julio and Grady?

Could we? Yes 

Will we? Probably not. 

Mack was the last big bonfied stud FA we signed. 

On defense I can’t name one. I think Ray Edwards still haunts the hallways of Flowery Branch. Ever since then it’s been middle of the pack Defensive FA’s. Just to get us buy but not going to change the game. 

9 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

Could we? Yes 

Will we? Probably not. 

Mack was the last big bonfied stud FA we signed. 

On defense I can’t name one. I think Ray Edwards still haunts the hallways of Flowery Branch. Ever since then it’s been middle of the pack Defensive FA’s. Just to get us buy but not going to change the game. 

Poe was solid, Clayborn was solid,  Hartwell and Edwards were trash.  Asante Samuel was had in a trade but he was a big part of our 2012 success. J. Abraham was the biggest addition on defense EVER.  Like Samuel....via trade though.  We haven't signed a big time stud in a minute.

rings639 likes this

Jones deal may actually provide cap relief, so I don’t see why not. Also we have quite a bit of fat to cut to free up much-needed dollars.

papachaz and Stryka like this

Personally, if the rumors are even close to being true, I pray to god they just let Grady walk. He's not worth that type of money at all. But the market is the market. Now i'm sure this isn't close to being accurate but if this is true then I'd tag him and see what he does this season before breaking the bank on him

http://legacynfl.boards.net/thread/7625/2019-franchise-tag-prices

1 minute ago, Stryka said:

Poe was solid, Clayborn was solid,  Hartwell and Edwards were trash.  Asante Samuel was had in a trade but he was a big part of our 2012 success. J. Abraham was the biggest addition on defense EVER.  Like Samuel....via trade though.  We haven't signed a big time stud in a minute.

Mack, Coleman and Turner are the only great (not just good like Dahl, Clabo, etc) FA pick ups i recall in the past 20 years. 

Stryka likes this

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Personally, if the rumors are even close to being true, I pray to god they just let Grady walk. He's not worth that type of money at all. But the market is the market. Now i'm sure this isn't close to being accurate but if this is true then I'd tag him and see what he does this season before breaking the bank on him

If they can’t come do a deal that works for the Falcons as well I am confident Grady will just be tagged for this year

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

Mack, Coleman and Turner are the only great (not just good like Dahl, Clabo, etc) FA pick ups i recall in the past 20 years. 

Yea I think he was talking defensively.  How could I not put Rod Coleman up there.  Dude was 10 sacks period if he was healthy.  A great signing from Oakland.  So then if we rank them.  J. Abraham, R. Coleman and L. Milloy top 3 defensive additions while T. Gonzalez, A. Mack, and M. Turner are our 3 best offensive???

Curious to your thoughts..

Embrace the suck likes this

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I tend to agree.  We love him and his attitude.  The Patriots have gone to 3 straight SB’s and spent 9 mill on their entire DLine in 2016, 11 mill on D Line in 2017 and 17 mill this year.  Clayborn is their top paid DLineman.  Do we really want to pay 16-17 mill on one guy?

Worst case scenario, tag him for 13 mill, draft Oliver to play next to him this year and to replace him in 2020.

Not really ... we have to think about hoop and deion jones next year .

I don't think we need a big FA .. We need to hit a home run in the draft and sign 2 or do mid level contributing players (attacking the O and dline) and flat out get healthy

Drew4719, g-dawg, Ergo Proxy and 1 other like this

8 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

With few exceptions (Rams this year, maybe Eagles last year) teams that live in FA die there as well.  You simply pay too much of a premium on the open market.

5 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I tend to agree.  We love him and his attitude.  The Patriots have gone to 3 straight SB’s and spent 9 mill on their entire DLine in 2016, 11 mill on D Line in 2017 and 17 mill this year.  Clayborn is their top paid DLineman.  Do we really want to pay 16-17 mill on one guy?

Worst case scenario, tag him for 13 mill, draft Oliver to play next to him this year and to replace him in 2020.

Goodness I envy them. Heck they don't mind trading away their bests and still don't miss a beat

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

With few exceptions (Rams this year, maybe Eagles last year) teams that live in FA die there as well.  You simply pay too much of a premium on the open market.

I agree.. I feel like  you  gotta build thru the draft.... FA is good to fill in places but with the way the cap is ... The top guys are no seeing FA .... Only guys teams feel like you are not worth the asking price you are looking for

Falcons In 2012 likes this

4 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Yea I think he was talking defensively.  How could I not put Rod Coleman up there.  Dude was 10 sacks period if he was healthy.  A great signing from Oakland.  So then if we rank them.  J. Abraham, R. Coleman and L. Milloy top 3 defensive additions while T. Gonzalez, A. Mack, and M. Turner are our 3 best offensive???

Curious to your thoughts..

Rod Coleman was finding lightning in a bottle while striking gold at the same time.

The defense changed overnight.  What Mack and Turner were to the offense Coleman was to the defense.

Abraham was great but he didn't impact the entire d-line like Coleman did.  When Coleman was signed all of a sudden everyone was making plays.  Kerney became an all Pro and Brady Smith was making plays.... who can forget the strip sack for a TD against the Rams?  Jasper was making plays!

Stryka, JDaveG, momak and 1 other like this

Just now, Peyton said:

I don't really think the Falcons are going to do anything big for Julio.  Convert maybe 3 million of his 2020 money into bonus and pay him in 2019, something like that. 

I don't think so either, but I may be wrong.

7 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

People have got to stop comparing what the pats do to other teams..... We don't have Brady, we don't have bellichick. We can't copy them,period.

2 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Ppl must stop comparing us to the Patriots... IDK how they do it .... NOOOOOO Team has been able to do it like the patriots.

You gotta pay your goid players ... Just like Jake last year .. Grady gotta get paid

We could try our best...lol.  I bring them up too often and apologize.  They just fascinate me.

People say Trent Brown won’t leave Foxboro.  But they won’t pay him cause they drafted Isaiah Wynn in the 1st last year.  They just think ahead.  The Patriots like move is to let Grady walk after a year in franchise tag and draft Oliver this year

1 minute ago, atljbo said:

I agree.. I feel like  you  gotta build thru the draft.... FA is good to fill in places but with the way the cap is ... The top guys are no seeing FA .... Only guys teams feel like you are not worth the asking price you are looking for

Building through the draft mainly works with well coached staffs. I get a feeling with all of these young guys starting to coach, building through the draft and maintaining those players are going to become a thing again. There aren't many Bellicheks in the league anymore.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

18 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

The only problem is that without Grady the problems the Falcons have on the dline are magnified by 10.

Good DTs are expensive.  And we've seen that Quinn can't do what the Pats can do.

The Falcons had their chance to draft a Donald and those only come along once a generation.

The Falcons should have focused more on the dline last offseason.  They played the waiting game and now they also have significant issues on the oline as well.

22 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Yeah that dude is whack, he posted franchise tag numbers from like 8 years ago. The DT tag last year was 13.9 million.