Guest Regular Guy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With the downtime I've been knocking out projects around the house. Not pictured is repaint and fixture the bathroom. Also placed privacy film not the bathroom window. Been in this house for nearly 10

Finally got all the wall and roof sheathing done       Passed my bracing inspection today, so I can get started on the house wrap.  After that, finish the fascia and eaves/soffi

Update on the barn build.  Siding is done and working on getting my doors done.   And digging my trench to run electricity to it.    

Posted Images

Guest Regular Guy

Alright gents and a few ladies, I have been coerced into making my laundry room over for the second time. Years ago I bought a front loader set and took out the old standard washer and dryer (which cleaned clothes better BTW!). The layout of the old laundry room had the washer and dryer on the right wall as you entered the laundry room. It had a generic white double cabinet hung on the wall above it. Nothing fancy at all but functional. Really, who cares what a laundry room looks like?

The answer : my wife, lol!

I don't have a pic of its original state but I do have a pic of the way it looked after the first remodel. I moved all of the electrical and plumbing to the back wall as well as moved the dryer vent (actually installed a whole new one to the outside wall) and put a counter top over the washer and dryer so she could fold clothes after taking them from the dryer. I also hung a rod so she could hang shirts and pants. I liked it but since she all of a sudden thinks that we are Chip and Joanna Gaines, she wanted to apply the redneck treatment to the laundry room.

Here's the before :

2XdZZ9p.jpg

Here's the after :

UnpxBE5.jpgePlYy3g.jpg

czYl5PG.jpg

gQLFUM1.jpg

H9MeyD9.jpg

T5WfKWE.jpg

4DDsJ46.jpg

You can't see it in the pics but the first thing I did was install a new light fixture. That was the only easy thing I did, lol. It all looks simple but I can tell you that I am by no means a carpenter. That cabinet dealio that houses the washer and dryer was a PITA to build and install. I drew it up, cut it out of nice Birch plywood and did manage to build it. My wife did the painting and made the shelves and I cut the counter out of a butcher block slab, then she stained it. The wall mounted "LAUNDRY" sign was made by her as well, same with the "MISSING" sign. She's pretty crafty ;)

I hope she takes a break for a while. This was no fun. I certainly could never build a garage like @shc Mad props to you sir!

Guest Regular Guy

I teased her about her making sure that people knew what room they were in, lol. Laundry written everywhere you look. I just go with the flow, if she likes it, I love it :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Do you have the final pics of that garage?

No, I have been framing the roof, and am about done with the rafters, then hope to start sheathing it this weekend.  Have to get a bracing inspection done, then can move on to shingles and siding.

10 hours ago, shc said:

No, I have been framing the roof, and am about done with the rafters, then hope to start sheathing it this weekend.  Have to get a bracing inspection done, then can move on to shingles and siding.

I wish I had the knowledge and skills to do something like that!  Looking great man!

37 minutes ago, capologist said:

I wish I had the knowledge and skills to do something like that!  Looking great man!

My father was a contractor and he started dragging me to jobs when I was 8. Back then I hated him for it (it took away from my childhood) but now when I do my own framing, electrical, and plumbing, i thank him for taking me.

Old dude is 97 years young and still has girlfriends in the old folks home.:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, shc said:

Finally got all the wall and roof sheathing done

Passed my bracing inspection today, so I can get started on the house wrap.  After that, finish the fascia and eaves/soffits, install the windows and doors, put up the siding, then can dig for the electrical.

Nights and weekends.  Been there and done that in my younger days. 

Refresh my memory, Garage, and the upstairs is going to be a mancave for a band? 

Just now, shc said:

Yes.  Although the upstairs might turn into a place for our parents to stay should they need it.

Sounds good. Nothing better than working with your hands and seeing what you produce right in front of your eyes. Keep up the good work and I cannot wait to see the finished product. Will the exterior match the main house on the property or can you even see the main house from the garage? 

1 hour ago, shc said:

Finally got all the wall and roof sheathing done

Passed my bracing inspection today, so I can get started on the house wrap.  After that, finish the fascia and eaves/soffits, install the windows and doors, put up the siding, then can dig for the electrical.

Looks good, BUT..........................do not hesitate in (at least) getting roofing felt put down and Tyvek on the sides ASAP!!   Let me get this straight, the inspector came out without the roofing felt being on the building?

2 hours ago, Andrews_31 said:

Looks good, BUT..........................do not hesitate in (at least) getting roofing felt put down and Tyvek on the sides ASAP!!   Let me get this straight, the inspector came out without the roofing felt being on the building?

yes, because the inspection was the bracing inspection, which is the nailing pattern on the sheathing.  Had to specifically wait to do the house wrap and felt because of it.  Nailing pattern was every 6" around the edge and 12" inside.  And because they were 12ft walls, I had to do blocking around all edges of plywood.  And for the "portal openings" aka the garage door openings, I had to do 2 rows up the side every 3", and then on a 3" grid on the header above it.  That along literally took a box of 2500 nail.  I probably have $2000 worth of nails in this thing so far.

• 7 months later...