Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

'Dream' Scenario Offseason

24 posts in this topic

So, I thought it would be fun to try and come up with a 'Dream' off season, while trying to keep it as realistic as possible.

I had multiple scenarios going through my head, but this is the one I think would fix our short-term, and long-term, problems the quickest. 

CUTS:

RT Ryan Schraeder

CB Robert Alford

DE Brooks Reed

OG Brandon Fusco

FA SIGNINGS:

RT Trent Brown - Gives us a young bookend OT to pair with Matthews for the foreseeable future. IMO, Brown is a consistent Pro-Bowl/All-Pro caliber RT, and is just starting to reach his prime. Had great success in SF before moving on, and dominating for NE.

LB Kwon Alexander - Alexander would bring his playmaking ability and athleticism to a LB group that already has 2 athletic freaks in DeBo and DeVondre. He has a real nose for the ball.

DRAFT:

1) Cody Ford OG Oklahoma - Ford is the type of OG talent that is capable of being a Pro-Bowler from day 1. Brings a much needed toughness and grit to the interior OL.

*TRADE* We trade our 2nd, a 4th, and our 2020 3rd to move back into the 1st.

1) Dexter Lawrence NT Clemson - Lawrence is the perfect NT to slide next to Jarrett. His ability to collapse the pocket and command double teams will open things up for the entire DL, while also allowing our 3 freaks at LB to flow freely to the ball.

3) Chase Winovich DE Michigan - Winovich has the type of character that passes the Falcons Filter with flying colors. His motor runs hot, and is never low on fuel. Winovich is a great compliment to the current DE group, and could be the long-term replacement for Vic Beasley. 

4) Lamont Gaillard G/C Georgia - Gaillard's versatility give him an edge with this pick. I honestly believe he could compete for a OG spot from day 1(and win), and also possibly be groomed as Mack's replacement at C.

5) Qadree Ollison RB Pittsburgh - Ollison is the perfect compliment to Freeman and Ito. Ollison is a pure power back with great vision, fluidity, and has deceptive breakaway speed. 

5) Isaiah Johnson CB Houston - Johnson has only played CB for 2 years at Houston(WR his first 2 years), but he has quickly learned the nuances of being a CB that excels in press man coverage. He has exceptional length, and has the background that Quinn loves to work with. 

6) John Cominsky DE Charleston - Cominsky is a DE that can rush the passer, but also is a devastating run stuffer. He has all the tools to be a base DE in our scheme. Has a high motor, and is a locker room leader.

7) Easton Stick QB NDSU - Stick has the numbers to back-up his versatility and high potential. He has the ceiling to possibly become Matt Ryan's long-term replacement, and his ability to run the ball would add a whole new element to this offense down the line. He very well could not be groomed as Matt's replacement, but his skillset would be interesting to see if he is the man to be the heir to the throne. 

Let me know what you guys think. I had another scenario where we trade back and pick up another 2nd, while taking Lawrence in the 1st, but I think this scenario would bring us the biggest talent increase at areas of long-term need. 

I mean this is definitely a dream scenario.

Few things:

-I don't know why everyone is jumping ship on Alford/Trufant after a down year. Cornerback is a hard position that's easy to criticize and a lot of it just comes down to luck. Many of the best corners in the NFL have had up and down seasons. Think Marcus Peters or Patrick Peterson. Heck who would have though Kyle Fuller would be an All-Pro CB this year?

-I don't mind the Kwon signing but it seems like a luxury more than a need. It would be cool to have 3 straight MLB starters from LSU though just cause its interesting. 

-We wont be able to trade into the first again, just wont happen and Lawrence wont be there. I think i'd rather got 1. DL 2. OG 

15 minutes ago, TSprings said:

Few things:

-I don't know why everyone is jumping ship on Alford/Trufant after a down year. Cornerback is a hard position that's easy to criticize and a lot of it just comes down to luck. Many of the best corners in the NFL have had up and down seasons. Think Marcus Peters or Patrick Peterson. Heck who would have though Kyle Fuller would be an All-Pro CB this year?

-I don't mind the Kwon signing but it seems like a luxury more than a need. It would be cool to have 3 straight MLB starters from LSU though just cause its interesting. 

-We wont be able to trade into the first again, just wont happen and Lawrence wont be there. I think i'd rather got 1. DL 2. OG 

I'd be all for keeping Alford, had we NOT drafted Oliver last year in the 2nd. He is, on paper, the carbon copy of what Quinn looks for in a boundary corner. Alford's contract, the terrible year he had, along with Oliver being drafted, and that all points to Alford being a prime cut candidate. Age is also not on his side at all, like it was with Fuller, Peterson, and Peters. 

Schwarzwald likes this

Alford was on the verge of breaking out....before we got decimated with injuries.

Some guys will just look bad when things around them fall apart. Field a full roster and watch Alford return to form. 

Trufant will likely never get back to Trufant of old, but he can definitely bounce back to a very solid CB. 

We need line help more than anything. Both lines. Let’s keep everything else intact.

My dream offseason is Beasley re-signs for 5M/year prove it deal and all of FA and draft is OL/DL. 

Edit: put a guy like Fletcher Cox next to Grady and both Tru and Rocky become instant Top 10 CBs imo. That’s how much DL matters (or missing pressure matter. No pressure = bad DBs) 

Edited by NeonDeion

18 minutes ago, TSprings said:

Few things:

I originally had trading back for Lawrence and picking up a 2nd. In the 2nd I had us getting Mack Wilson(then getting Fowler instead of Kwon) and Dalton Risner(moved to OG). I just thought the value of getting a high caliber OL with our first pick is a necessity. Most places I've seen Lawrence go in the late 1st, so trading up from our 2nd is not out of the question. 

Another dream would be somehow moving up from 4th to snag another 3rd, and getting Terry Godwin. I think he would be perfect to groom with Ridley. He has ALL the skills you look for in a high caliber #2. He can create seperation, take the top off the defense, excels in YAC, has great hands, runs great routes, can play inside and outside, and has breakaway speed. Someone is going to get a steal in Godwin. He would also allow us to move on from Sanu in 2020 before age starts to really show, while also allowing us more cap flexibility. 

I sure would love it.  If Brown & Ford anchored the right side of our OL it would be unfair.  Both are absolute maulers.  6’8, 380 lbs next to 6,5, 340 lbs.   Dang.  We’d need to transition away from strict ZBS but who carres.  Throw in Dexter Lawrence and it really would be a dream  scenario.  I wouldn’t move up for Lawrence unless he drops past #26 which is possible

Edited by Falconsin2012

PROS:

- I absolutely LOVE the OL additions in Brown and Ford. They'd rejuvenate the run game and give us a definitive upgrade on offense. 

- Giving Grady a partner in Dexter Lawrence. He's a massive NT that will get Grady back to his natural 3T position more often and help plug up the middle of our defense.

- The addition of criminally underrated Kwon Alexander to our LB core. He'd be an outstanding addition and help immensely next to Debo

CONS:

- Cutting Fusco, Alford, Schaeder and Reed frees up about 23.5 mil. We're only bringing in Brown and Kwon? 

- Specifically cutting Alford creates a starting vacancy. What's the plan to fill it? Start Oliver? And if that's the plan, Johnson is not enough depth at CB. I'd like to bring in a vet with more experience that 1 year to compete for the starting gig instead of handing it to Oliver, who didn't look that great last season. Concerned we'd be cutting Alford a year to early. 

- Don't feel we'd be doing enough to upgrade the pass rush. Vic has woefully under performed and Lawrence, while a good run defender with potential to be more, has not shown enough pass rush prowess. Winovich is a decent prospect, but I'd rather bring in someone with experience. We had the 2nd worst pass rush in the league. It's an area that will need more than a 3rd rounder to fix. 

Overall a decent draft. I'd add some numbers to the moves to give more context and consider more to address the needs at CB and pass rusher. 

I like it, but I think moving back into the first for Lawrence might be a little much, maybe move up closer to the top of the 2nd to get Lawrence would be more feasible.  Overall, though I love it. 

I think everybody on the board is with Trenton Brown at RT.  He isn't the most mobile which will hurt our zone plays but when we need a yard, going behind Ford and Brown should be the call.  This team isn't far away.  We add a good RT and a good RG via draft/FA  and then do the same split at DT/DE and we are in good shape. 

Kwon would be a plus but he is a MLB/WLB.  Are we moving Campbell to the bench?  We normally only carry 5 LBs.  In base him at WLB and Dre at SLB makes sense.  In Nickel what is your vision?

I think the draft was very solid.  I even liked the trade.  This draft seems top heavy with the elite talent.  Lets not wait and go ahead and get like 4 or 5 guys we really wanted instead of looking at the bottom of our draft board and drafting 9 guys who half wont likely make the team.

I wonder about not having a pass rush, not having Deion Jones in front of him, and not having the QB of the defense, Rico behind him calling smart plays and the human missile Keanu behind him affected Alford's play? I'm not making excuses for him but I'm iffy on cutting Alford.

HouseofEuphoria likes this

2 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

I wonder about not having a pass rush, not having Deion Jones in front of him, and not having the QB of the defense, Rico behind him calling smart plays and the human missile Keanu behind him affected Alford's play? I'm not making excuses for him but I'm iffy on cutting Alford.

None of them have anything to do with being penalized at the rate he does.  If he was getting beat all the time due to pass rush then he shouldn't have had any decent seasons because we haven't had a legit pass rush since days of Kerney and Abe on the edge.  He has played well before but it looks like those days are gone.  People used to say he more ball hawk than Trufant but he has 1 more INT in 6 years for a total of 10.  Not really acceptable for a starting CB considering league leader this year had 7.  He just isn't making the plays that would justify his penalties and getting beat like a drum.  I remember the Giants game where he was getting smoked by Sterling Shepard. I think he gave up 200 yards receiving in that one.  Not acceptable.

10 minutes ago, Stryka said:

None of them have anything to do with being penalized at the rate he does.  If he was getting beat all the time due to pass rush then he shouldn't have had any decent seasons because we haven't had a legit pass rush since days of Kerney and Abe on the edge.  He has played well before but it looks like those days are gone.  People used to say he more ball hawk than Trufant but he has 1 more INT in 6 years for a total of 10.  Not really acceptable for a starting CB considering league leader this year had 7.  He just isn't making the plays that would justify his penalties and getting beat like a drum.  I remember the Giants game where he was getting smoked by Sterling Shepard. I think he gave up 200 yards receiving in that one.  Not acceptable.

My only problem with this is that if you are being critical of Alford after one really bad season, what's stopping you from having the same assessment in regards to Beasley? He's arguably an even bigger disappointment and would save even more money than cutting Alford at a position that is probably going to be easier to fill.

Edited by MD-FalconFan13

8 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

My only problem with this is that if you are being critical of Alford after one really bad season, what's stopping you from having the same assessment in regards to Beasley? He's arguably an even bigger disappointment and would save even more money than cutting Alford at a position that is probably going to be easier to fill.

I am not opposed to getting rid of either.  I am super critical of these known dissapointments but I am also critical of guys who I think we can upgrade.  Devondre Campbell isn't a keeper to me.  He is solid nothing special about him besides his length.  Doesn't force fumbles, doesn't get picks, doesn't do anything outside of being a good tackler and solid in coverage. Trufant is another guy.  Sticky in coverage but his hands are horrible.  Dude has 13 dropped picks over the last 3 years.  Last year he had 5 alone, all could have changed games.  He doesn't change games because he cant catch.  He is so often in perfect coverage and the ball hits him in the chest or off his hands.  Its sickening.

Alford and Beasley are what they are to me after 6 yrs and 4 yrs respectively.  Alford has 10 picks in 6 years.  Still heavily penalized and I think I read somewhere he had a penalty in 12 of the 15 games he played.  He still panics wayyy too often when the ball is in the air and he lets just about any WR out physical him.  He had a good 2017 where he was targeted a whole bunch and got a bunch of PBU's.

Beasley is nothing more than a 5-7 sack guy per year.  He wins purely with speed and because his speed is so phenonmenal talent alone will get him 5 sacks.  If he could learn a counter move(he hasn't in 4 yrs) he could get better but should we expect more in year 5 from him?  I wouldn't.

I'm with you on this one.  With  Neal, Allen, and Jones all coming back on this defense that will help us tremendously.  You guys notice how many "almost" sacks we have as a defense?  One of two things can help, cover better, or get to the QB faster.  I think we can afford to look to the D-line in the second.  If we can solidify our O-line in the first round and free agency and then get some beef in the middle in the second, I think assuming we stay healthier than 2018 and we're a contender next season.

I think we are stuck with our corners for a while. LB and Dline is where we are weak on D. 

Oline is a must to repair, and what do we do about Schaub?

Fixing our defense starts with the middle, I don’t think people realize how much we missed Poe.

Getting a mammoth like Lawrence would free up our undersized LB’s as well as the edges...QB pressure will make your CB’s look like world beaters. Kwon would be a much better option if god forbid something happened to Debo. This would be a solid draft as it fixes both trenches and brings in good depth. I would probably switch out the 6th and add Tony Pollard to give our return game the fire it needs but everything else looks great! 

3 minutes ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

I just thought that I did like Cominsky and Ollison all along. Ollison has a great blent of power, vision, and deceptive speed. 

Cominsky is one of the better athletes at DE. 

Good stuff man for definitely hitting on those two!

On 1/24/2019 at 4:16 AM, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

So, I thought it would be fun to try and come up with a 'Dream' off season, while trying to keep it as realistic as possible.

I had multiple scenarios going through my head, but this is the one I think would fix our short-term, and long-term, problems the quickest. 

CUTS:

RT Ryan Schraeder

CB Robert Alford

DE Brooks Reed

OG Brandon Fusco

FA SIGNINGS:

RT Trent Brown - Gives us a young bookend OT to pair with Matthews for the foreseeable future. IMO, Brown is a consistent Pro-Bowl/All-Pro caliber RT, and is just starting to reach his prime. Had great success in SF before moving on, and dominating for NE.

LB Kwon Alexander - Alexander would bring his playmaking ability and athleticism to a LB group that already has 2 athletic freaks in DeBo and DeVondre. He has a real nose for the ball.

DRAFT:

1) Cody Ford OG Oklahoma - Ford is the type of OG talent that is capable of being a Pro-Bowler from day 1. Brings a much needed toughness and grit to the interior OL.

*TRADE* We trade our 2nd, a 4th, and our 2020 3rd to move back into the 1st.

1) Dexter Lawrence NT Clemson - Lawrence is the perfect NT to slide next to Jarrett. His ability to collapse the pocket and command double teams will open things up for the entire DL, while also allowing our 3 freaks at LB to flow freely to the ball.

3) Chase Winovich DE Michigan - Winovich has the type of character that passes the Falcons Filter with flying colors. His motor runs hot, and is never low on fuel. Winovich is a great compliment to the current DE group, and could be the long-term replacement for Vic Beasley. 

4) Lamont Gaillard G/C Georgia - Gaillard's versatility give him an edge with this pick. I honestly believe he could compete for a OG spot from day 1(and win), and also possibly be groomed as Mack's replacement at C.

5) Qadree Ollison RB Pittsburgh - Ollison is the perfect compliment to Freeman and Ito. Ollison is a pure power back with great vision, fluidity, and has deceptive breakaway speed. 

5) Isaiah Johnson CB Houston - Johnson has only played CB for 2 years at Houston(WR his first 2 years), but he has quickly learned the nuances of being a CB that excels in press man coverage. He has exceptional length, and has the background that Quinn loves to work with. 

6) John Cominsky DE Charleston - Cominsky is a DE that can rush the passer, but also is a devastating run stuffer. He has all the tools to be a base DE in our scheme. Has a high motor, and is a locker room leader.

7) Easton Stick QB NDSU - Stick has the numbers to back-up his versatility and high potential. He has the ceiling to possibly become Matt Ryan's long-term replacement, and his ability to run the ball would add a whole new element to this offense down the line. He very well could not be groomed as Matt's replacement, but his skillset would be interesting to see if he is the man to be the heir to the throne. 

Let me know what you guys think. I had another scenario where we trade back and pick up another 2nd, while taking Lawrence in the 1st, but I think this scenario would bring us the biggest talent increase at areas of long-term need. 

You got 2 picks right. Really good for a post in January.

Godzilla1985 and B_84falcons like this

3 minutes ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

You got 2 picks right. Really good for a post in January.

I would take credit for a 1st round trade up as well, but was slightly off on compensation and way off on player.