Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Will Dan Quinn be our defensive coordinator for multiple seasons if the defense plays well in 2019?

40 posts in this topic

How long do you guys think Dan Quinn will most likely be the defensive coordinator for the Falcons if the defense plays well in 2019? I actually think that Dan Quinn being our defensive coordinator increases our chances of winning a Superbowl. Is this most likely just a one year thing? Or a 2-3 years or possibly more thing? And are you guys excited about Dan Quinn being the defensive coordinator?

bossFALCON™ likes this

I just really wonder if offensive players are going to feel they are being neglected in the future - to be an effective DC, he really needs to concentrate his time and energy on the defensive side.

Will younger players, especially, on offense feel like the HC never talks about them or never thinks about ways to improve their play?  Would Koetter be able to replace this lack of attention and make sure both sides are OK?  Is our offense so veteran now that it does not even need that much attention?

Quinn has shown he was able to do it before with Shanahan as the OC but a whole season will be a greater time frame and will hopefully not show in him being tired out by the playoffs.

Of course.  Belichick still coaches the defensive positional groups every day during the season (along with the positional coach). He will give up the title, but should never stop coaching.  It’s his strength and how he got the job

Edited by Falconsin2012

It doesnt make much sense for him to give it up as the coaching staff is right now. Dirk Koetter, Mike Mularkey, Raheem Morris and Quinn are 4 coaches with head coaching experience and I may be missing one but 3 of them are on the offensive side of the ball and have an extensive history working with Ryan. Quinn's input is not needed on the offensive side of the ball and he would only get in the way so he might as well focus on defense.

And considering Koetter and Murlarkey have both failed as coaches I dont necessarily seeing teams falling over themselves to steal them so our staff should be in good shape for a minute.

2 hours ago, Warningx13 said:

It doesnt make much sense for him to give it up as the coaching staff is right now. Dirk Koetter, Mike Mularkey, Raheem Morris and Quinn are 4 coaches with head coaching experience and I may be missing one but 3 of them are on the offensive side of the ball and have an extensive history working with Ryan. Quinn's input is not needed on the offensive side of the ball and he would only get in the way so he might as well focus on defense.

And considering Koetter and Murlarkey have both failed as coaches I dont necessarily seeing teams falling over themselves to steal them so our staff should be in good shape for a minute.

Pretty much all the offensive coordinators that Matt Ryan made head coaches were unsuccessful including Kyle Shanahan so far. So hopefully that will help give us stability in Dirk Koetter. I think 2019 could be a special season.

I could see him mentoring someone up to eventually take the role from him in a couple years. That’s assuming he is here in 2-3 years (not getting at anything other than you just never know in the NFL)

13 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

I just really wonder if offensive players are going to feel they are being neglected in the future - to be an effective DC, he really needs to concentrate his time and energy on the defensive side.

Will younger players, especially, on offense feel like the HC never talks about them or never thinks about ways to improve their play?  Would Koetter be able to replace this lack of attention and make sure both sides are OK?  Is our offense so veteran now that it does not even need that much attention?

Quinn has shown he was able to do it before with Shanahan as the OC but a whole season will be a greater time frame and will hopefully not show in him being tired out by the playoffs.

Half the coaches in the league now call plays on one side of the ball, granted most of them are offense, but it’s the same concept.

Have to wait and seee they have key players coming off season ending injuries and serious injuries, Takk, Beasley, Alford and Trufant. Achilles injuries can be so annoying because they can keep recurring once they get him, Neal with his Knee . Im kinda worried for Jone’s Foot as well, foot injuries can be annoying af. There’s just too many unknowns right now. But i am hopeful

14 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

This is why Koetter was their first choice all along.  He can step in and run the offense with minimal oversight.  He already knows the facilities, the owner, GM and QB.  

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

20 hours ago, Brewcrew said:

This is why Koetter was their first choice all along.  He can step in and run the offense with minimal oversight.  He already knows the facilities, the owner, GM and QB.  

You think that Koetter was the Falcons first choice over Kubiak if he was available? (You could be right).

On 1/24/2019 at 6:39 AM, 1989Fan said:

I could see him mentoring someone up to eventually take the role from him in a couple years. That’s assuming he is here in 2-3 years (not getting at anything other than you just never know in the NFL)

Like he did Manuel?

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

45 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

You think that Koetter was the Falcons first choice over Kubiak if he was available? (You could be right).

Personally, I do.  I like most wanted Kubiak, but I think he was too much of a question mark at this point.  There was too much risk that he couldn't put the time and effort needed with his health problems, and too much risk of a one and done.  And we see now that he's only taking a greater position to get his kid a job.  I think the idea of Kubiak was painted to rose colored based on his past, but we just don't know that he is the same coach anymore.

47 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Like he did Manuel?

When Manuel was promoted, all of the articles and buzz around him was that he was a hot young coordinator that would almost certainly be a head coach candidate in a few years.  I wonder if his promotion was just a little premature.  He's only been coaching 6-years total and went from an Assistant Secondary Coach to DC in three years.  I wouldn't have minded keeping him around in title and just having Dan Quinn take over play calling, but obviously there must have been some other philosophical issues or something going on behind the scenes.  I still wouldn't write-off Manuel as a good coach yet after the cards he was dealt in only his second year calling a defense. 

Vandy likes this

Just now, Brewcrew said:

When Manuel was promoted, all of the articles and buzz around him was that he was a hot young coordinator that would almost certainly be a head coach candidate in a few years.  I wonder if his promotion was just a little premature.  I wouldn't have minded keeping him around in title and just having Dan Quinn take over play calling, but obviously there must have been some other philosophical issues or something going on behind the scenes.  I wouldn't write-off Manuel yet.  He's only been coaching 6-years total and went from an Assistant Secondary Coach to DC in three years. 

I agree, I was just being a smart ***. :ninja:

Manuel will learn from this experience. 

Brewcrew likes this

5 hours ago, Brewcrew said:

Personally, I do.  I like most wanted Kubiak, but I think he was too much of a question mark at this point.  There was too much risk that he couldn't put the time and effort needed with his health problems, and too much risk of a one and done.  And we see now that he's only taking a greater position to get his kid a job.  I think the idea of Kubiak was painted to rose colored based on his past, but we just don't know that he is the same coach anymore.

I find it interesting that Kubiak is just an advisor on the Vikings not an offensive coordinator. Maybe he never wanted to be an offensive coordinator again.

Brewcrew likes this