MD-FalconFan13

MD's Mock Off-seaseon

50 posts in this topic

Needs:

1) The #1 need this off-season is bringing back our best DT Grady Jarrett. We absolutely can not afford to let him walk. 
2) Find good, long term players for the O-Line. Matt isn't a mobile QB and watching Tom Brady operate relatively untouched really makes me wonder how great Matt could be if he had the same protection. Lets find out
3) Build a tough, dominant D-Line that can win in short yardage and get after the QB. The only thing more frustrating than Matt being under constant pressure is our inability to generate any of our own consistently and the knowledge that anything under 3rd and 3 is a near automatic 1st down. This absolutely must change 
4) Fill any holes left by cuts made to the best of our ability

Current Cap (prior to cuts): Approximately 20 Mil 

Cuts:

**Considered cutting Alford, but chose against it as I believed that it would have created one too many holes for one off-season. Willing to build the D-Line and roll the dice that he'll have a bounce back season. His cut would save 8.5 Mil**

Ryan Schaeder - Tough to part ways with a guy with such a great story, but the 6.45 million we can save by letting him go is too attractive to pass up. Wish him the best but he's got to go. Cap Savings: 6.45 Mil
Vic Beasley - This is a cut that has been long in the making. He's had an up and down tenure here but more downs than ups. And a potential 12.8 mil savings makes this a necessary move  Cap Savings: 12.8 Mil
Brandon Fusco - Was average at best when healthy and the money can be better used elsewhere.  Cap Savings: 4.1 Mil
Brooks Reed - Pretty easy decision. Not a bad player but definitely not worth the price we're paying. Position can be better filled with a more productive player Cap Savings: 4.5 Mil

Current Cap (after cuts): Approximately 47.85 Mil

Positional Needs

OG
DE
OT
LB
RB
DT

FAgency:

Grady Jarrett - (12 Mil/yr) : Folks that think we're retaining him at anything less have got to wake up. He's top 5 at his position and will only get better. Plus he's got all the leverage  
Bruce Carter - (1.2 Mil/yr): Played well and we can benefit from his veteran presence. Also cost efficient
Ty Sambrailo - (1.2 Mil/yr): Another cost efficient piece. Played well down the stretch of the season at Guard.
Bruce Irvin - (2 Mil/yr): Came on at the end of the season when he got comfortable with the team. Willing to bring back, long as the contract isn't too high
Blidi Wreh-Wilson - (900k/yr): CB depth. Shouldn't be very expensive
Brian Poole - (2 Mil/yr): Good depth player. Can play the run well and man the slot when needed. Not going to get a big pay day but a slight raise could be in order

Trey Flowers - (11 mil/yr): I can hear it now. "You're thinking of blowing over 23 mil/yr on one area?", "We have other needs!". I get it. but hear me out. This move gives a 25 yr old stud DE that will be a cornerstone along with Grady for the foreseeable future. I'm of the mindset it's better to PROPERLY fill a position than to get half-measures that will leave a job half filled. The investment in our D-Line for a guy that is good against the pass and run will pay off now and in the future. 

Mark Glowinski - (4.5 mil/yr): Solid OG from the Colts last year who filled in as the starter due to injury. Played well and could be seeking a chance to start elsewhere. We bring him in to compete for a starting OG spot

Total FA Spending: 34.8 mil
Remaining Cap: Approximately 13 mil

Updated Positional Needs  (Pre-Draft)

OT:  Starter needed due to Roster cut
DE:  Starter and Depth needed
OG:  Depth needed
LB:  Can do for an upgrade
RB:  Injury depth a concern
DT:  Depth needed

NFL Draft

1st  - Cody Ford OT/G - Some people have him listed as a OG only. That's a mistake. I remember the folks saying the same thing about Trent Williams and Cordy Glenn. Ford has the ability to play inside and outside. Simply put, Ford is a people mover. He'll need some time to develop, but he'll be a massive improvement in the run game. With Alex Mack and Jake Matthews in place, they should be able to help speed his development along.

2nd - Mack Wilson LB - This is going to be seen as a luxury pick, but I can admit....I fell in love when I saw his tape. We can probably get by with Foye, but he's more of a depth piece in my opinion. Couple that with the fact that Campbell didn't perform well during Debo's absence and I see this as a need. Wilson arrives violently and has shown a nose for the ball when playing in coverage. Adding him to our LB corp will give Debo a high level running mate and upgrade our coverage. Did I mention that I fell in love when I saw his tape?

3rd - Jaylon Ferguson DE - Had an outstanding campaign and still I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews on him. Some folks say he could go late 1st/early 2nd other have him on the board in Round 3 or 4. I'll be hoping for the latter. This would be a remarkable pickup if he lasts to our 3rd pick and give us a stable of young talent to rush the passer. Exceptional Hand usage and constant motor. 

4th - Michael Deiter OG - Quick nimble but sturdy OG. Scheme diverse and excellent mobility to get to the next level. Would be a good long term prospect at guard to solidify the position. Has a solid base against power rushers. Needs to work on playing with proper leverage and some good coaching will go a long ways in getting him to be a high caliber starter quickly

4th (Comp) - Elijah Holyfield - Another guy that I fell in love with during the scouting process. Violent runner but has speed and maneuverability as well. Will be a welcome addition for short yardage. As the son of boxing legend Evander Holyfield, fighting is in his blood. The biggest question to me is whether he'll be available here. 

5th - Dontavious Russell - Here we find a wide body for the NT position that will be the last piece in what I predict to be a vastly improved D-Line. Anchors the line and doesn't get moved around much. Shoots the gap well and will bust up run plays consistently. Lack the explosiveness needed to get after the QB consistently which will lead to team letting him drop. Great for us as he has the traits to be a high level producer at the next level. 

5th (Comp) - Lester Cotton - Going back to the well Alabama well for this one to get a stout OG. Very difficult to move backwards for DTs. Will need to work on his mobility as he didn't do a good job of displaying much at the college level. His upside is due to his functional strength and straight line blocking ability. Might round into a starter if given tiem and some quality coaching.

Updated Positional Needs  (Post-Draft)

OT:   High level prospect drafted (Ford)
OG:  FA prospects (Glowinski, Levitre); Draft Prospects (Deiter, Cotton)
DE:  High level prospect in FA; Draft Prospect (Ferguson)
LB:  High level prospect drafted (Wilson)
RB:  Draft Prospect (Holyfield)
DT:  Draft Prospect (Russell)

Summary:

Rome wasn't built in a day, nor will we be able to fix all our issues in one off-season. However I think that will these additions we should be able to improve significantly in the areas that plagued us the most, the trenches. We brought in quality Free Agents and Draft prospects for both lines. We could stand for some CB help, but I'd fix the biggest problems and hope that Trufant/Alford can bounce back and Oliver improves. Improved play from our Defensive line could go a long way to making these guys look much better. 

What are your thought?

Edited by MD-FalconFan13
Dirtybird56, Vandy, HEIST and 4 others like this

I like FA better than the draft sorry man.

Deiter after what I saw in the drills no thanks 

Russell samething man Elgton Jenkins destroyed him in back to back snaps.

Mack Wilson good player but I think he doesn’t get the playing time with what we already have.

MD-FalconFan13 likes this

6 minutes ago, HEIST said:

I love the Trey Flowers signing. I didn't realize he was a FA.

Lol....I thought that would be the hardest sell. The Pats are historically against paying their FAs and I think he'll be such a massive upgrade that we can let Vic go and roll with him. Thanks for the feedback.

thanat0s likes this

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I like FA better than the draft sorry man.

Deiter after what I saw in the drills no thanks 

Russell samething man Elgton Jenkins destroyed him in back to back snaps.

Mack Wilson good player but I think he doesn’t get the playing time with what we already have.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the rough showing for Deiter actually works in our favor. He has potential to be very good but will need to be coached. He might not have to start immediately in this scenario as I bring in multiple guys to compete. 

Elgton is a great prospect too. Russell is going to be a late bloomer. He'll need time to adjust to the NFL competition, but having him on a snap restriction behind Grady and Senat will be the best role for him starting out. 

Mack definitely is starting over Foye in my opinion. 

kiwifalcon likes this

Solid but with a few concerns.

I noticed we aren't bringing back Vic, Shelby or Reed which is cool but we only replaced them with Trey Flowers(who I like a lot). That would give us T. Flowers, B. Irvin, Takk, to play DE along with the rookie Ferguson.  Need a bit more depth than that as we usually keep 5 to 6 DEs.

I like the resigning's. Ty is the swing tackle. Poole and Wreh-Wilson provide valuable depth and can start in a pinch. I also like having B. Carter as an option who can play WLB or MLB. That sures up the LB room with the rest of the guys all being drafted in the last 3 years.  Need that vet or another vet who is more a leader at LB.

Probably going to need to be wayyy more active in FA.  We are gonna need a 3rd TE if Paulsen isn't resigned. We are going to need depth at DE/DT.  We need to sign a WR for depth and I like Holyfield being the 3rd RB. 

Overall not bad.  

Ergo Proxy and MD-FalconFan13 like this

18 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I think Grady is going to want closer to $15M a year, but the contract can be backloaded a little to keep his hit this season a wee bit smaller. Like keeping Carter, Wreh-Wilson, and Ty. I don't think Irvin will play for $2M.

I agree with this spot on.  Grady is getting somewhere between 14-18m IMO.  I’d give Irvin 4M.  Other than that I’d love to see your wish list come true, but you gotta have money for Julio.

Geneaut and MD-FalconFan13 like this

3 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Solid but with a few concerns.

I noticed we aren't bringing back Vic, Shelby or Reed which is cool but we only replaced them with Trey Flowers(who I like a lot). That would give us T. Flowers, B. Irvin, Takk, to play DE along with the rookie Ferguson.  Need a bit more depth than that as we usually keep 5 to 6 DEs.

I like the resigning's. Ty is the swing tackle. Poole and Wreh-Wilson provide valuable depth and can start in a pinch. I also like having B. Carter as an option who can play WLB or MLB. That sures up the LB room with the rest of the guys all being drafted in the last 3 years.  Need that vet or another vet who is more a leader at LB.

Probably going to need to be wayyy more active in FA.  We are gonna need a 3rd TE if Paulsen isn't resigned. We are going to need depth at DE/DT.  We need to sign a WR for depth and I like Holyfield being the 3rd RB. 

Overall not bad.  

Thanks Stryka!

I wanted to do more for the DE group. I figured maybe we can take a flyer on a late round DE with our remaining picks. Same for the 3rd TE. The spot I regret not addressing the most is the CB position. 

Think we're ok there or do we need to address it this offseason?

1 minute ago, KCFalcon22 said:

I agree with this spot on.  Grady is getting somewhere between 14-18m IMO.  I’d give Irvin 4M.  Other than that I’d love to see your wish list come true, but you gotta have money for Julio.

Wow!

Completely forgot that Julio wants a raise. And deserves it too. That might make some of these additions tricky. Great point. 

KCFalcon22 likes this

Just now, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Thanks Stryka!

I wanted to do more for the DE group. I figured maybe we can take a flyer on a late round DE with our remaining picks. Same for the 3rd TE. The spot I regret not addressing the most is the CB position. 

Think we're ok there or do we need to address it this offseason?

Yea we could take a flier on a late draftee but also maybe bring back one of our guys cheap or find a cheaper more athletic version in FA.

CB seems to be a spot that Im not sure about.  I hate cutting guys and making holes especially after all of them had down seasons.  I think Alford stays another year, I think he has a short leash with Oliver behind him but I like the depth we have behind the starters with Poole, Bethel and Wreh-Wilson.  I think we can avoid CB in draft and FA if we keep our guys.  We need them to play better though.

17 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Lol....I thought that would be the hardest sell. The Pats are historically against paying their FAs and I think he'll be such a massive upgrade that we can let Vic go and roll with him. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think he's like the next big pass rusher but he's a solid 7-8 sack guy that can play the run well. Every time I watch the Pats it seems like he's making a play.

39 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Wow!

Completely forgot that Julio wants a raise. And deserves it too. That might make some of these additions tricky. Great point. 

A good extension might actually lower JJ's cap hit this season. You just backload the contract, and move money from this season out through the extension.

Remember cap hit, and actual money paid can be 2 different things depending on how you define the money paid out. Signing bonus, for example, gets prorated over the length of the deal as far as cap counts, but JJ gets all the money this year.

Edited by Geneaut

Would get ran all over up the middle with that interior DT group. Grady, Russell, Senat, and Crawford would NOT cut it. 

I'd love the VB/Flowers swap. What an upgrade it'd be if we could make that happen. Overall it's a solid January mock. Good job.

I still think we need a blob in the middle of our defense from the FA pool, though. Harrison, or if he's cut a return of Poe if the price comes down. Losing him hurt us badly this year.

Bigbenright likes this

Irvin made nearly 8 mill last year. Yeah he will take a pay cut but it wont be 2 mill not even close.

Absolutely no to a RB in the draft. If we have the Oline fixed, you can run any old CJ anderson behind it. Using a pick on a RB is a waste.

3 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Irvin made nearly 8 mill last year. Yeah he will take a pay cut but it wont be 2 mill not even close.

Absolutely no to a RB in the draft. If we have the Oline fixed, you can run any old CJ anderson behind it. Using a pick on a RB is a waste.

Completely agree it may take more to retain Irvin.

But you'd rather spend valuable FA money on a short term fix instead of a mid round pick that can be a long term option?

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Cut Beasley AND Schraeder? Booooooo

If I could cut Beasley twice I would. That 12 mil can be applied much better than paying a bust. Schraeder isn't a long term answer. He's a great story but it's time to move on. 

We get close to 19 mil from cutting 2 guys who were bad last year. What's hard to get about that?

Dirtybird56 and vitaman like this

3 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

If I could cut Beasley twice I would. That 12 mil can be applied much better than paying a bust. Schraeder isn't a long term answer. He's a great story but it's time to move on. 

We get close to 19 mil from cutting 2 guys who were bad last year. What's hard to get about that?

What's hard to get is you create a hole at edge then fill it with someone just as expensive. Our interior is what needs fixed. And then Schraeder will be better if he gets a competent guard next to him. You're banking on a rookie RT and Wes or whoever else at the other guard spot? That's terrible.

I love this, but would make only a couple of changes. I'd restructure Vic, Alford, and Schraeder on prove-it deals. It'll only take around $5M to sign the draft class. We'd have the wiggle room. I'd also consider a corner between 2-5 rounds.

A couple potential snags. Grady and Irvin will want more. You have to consider extensions for Julio, Debo, Hoop and maybe Campbell. Ferguson will likely be gone in the second. We have like 15-20 UFAs of our own who will either need to be re-signed or replaced.

Falconsin2012 likes this

41 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Irvin did make $8M last year but that's not his value, just what he was owed in that particular year based on how his previous lucrative FA deal had been structured. That $8M is also what got him released, because the Raiders & everyone else knew he wasn't worth that much anymore. He definitely seems worth a little more than $2M/year, but using the $8M price tag he had last season is a bad example of his true value. Given his age & production, I'd think something like $3-4M/year is likely to be more in line with Irvin's actual market value.

Edit: For what it's worth, Irvin's career average $ per year is about $5.5M/year... but that includes the guaranteed money he got from the Raiders. He's not going to get another deal like that ever again, so again... considering age & production $3M-$4M seems realistic.

https://overthecap.com/player/bruce-irvin/1534/

Worst pick is the 2nd pick,, If you had gotten the best DL right there.. You'd have an outstanding Draft.. But the number 2 pick,, messed up a solid draft.... to me it sticks out as being a wrong decision ..