Falcons Fan MVP

Are there any games that you can recall where the Falcons won or lost because of bad officiating?

79 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Tandy said:

Yeah - but this one was actually ruled correctly.   I hate it for the Lions - and actually hate that rule - but in this case it was the correct call - not a blown call.   Sucky rule though.

Ruled correctly but they lost time through no fault of their own.  They got robbed of an opportunity because of the run off.  They still needed to score but the refs cost them they opportunity.

Tandy likes this

1 hour ago, Monolith2001 said:

Ruled correctly but they lost time through no fault of their own.  They got robbed of an opportunity because of the run off.  They still needed to score but the refs cost them they opportunity.

And yet they took it like professionals.

51 minutes ago, ratesforless said:

38 years ago and it's still too soon...

Yeah - but he ****ed sure was  offsides - Bart did his jobs - and the refs didn't!   That hurts to this day.   

ratesforless likes this

Probably not a call that many people remember, but in 2008 the Falcons traveled to Philly to play the Eagles.  Ahead by only 1 possession late in the 4th qtr, the Eagles had to punt to the Falcons, who were about to get a shot to win the game.  

Punt goes off and it's relatively short.  Harry Douglas comes running towards the ball, but doesn't make it in time before the ball hits the ground.  He does a very clear side step and lets the ball continue to roll, but the officials ruled that he touched it, and the Eagles recovered the ball and ran it into the end zone.  Replay shows this was no where near close.  

I don't have the time at work to look up the video, but if anyone wants to find it, we can all relive those memories one more time. 

51 minutes ago, Dr_truth189 said:

Probably not a call that many people remember, but in 2008 the Falcons traveled to Philly to play the Eagles.  Ahead by only 1 possession late in the 4th qtr, the Eagles had to punt to the Falcons, who were about to get a shot to win the game.  

Punt goes off and it's relatively short.  Harry Douglas comes running towards the ball, but doesn't make it in time before the ball hits the ground.  He does a very clear side step and lets the ball continue to roll, but the officials ruled that he touched it, and the Eagles recovered the ball and ran it into the end zone.  Replay shows this was no where near close.  

I don't have the time at work to look up the video, but if anyone wants to find it, we can all relive those memories one more time. 

Most of us probably do remember it - I know I do.    But it wasn't Harry - it was Adam "freaking" Jennings - and Mike Smith told the official - I'll get an apology for this from the league because you are wrong - but it won't help a bit.    He couldn't challenge it because he douched our last timeout right before that.    That was partially our fault for misusing our time outs.   They scored a touchdown on that recovery - but they ruled they couldn't advance it - but it didn't matter because the Falcons defense let Westbrook right through for the touchdown. 

So yeah - the ref definitely missed the call - but the Falcons let Westbrook score a 40 yard touchdown on the next play or two and put the game out of our reach.

blackredfellow likes this

7 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Playoff game vs the cardinals. They were offsides every ******* play

They absolutely were.   But what pissed me off more was how fast they called Matt Ryan progress stopped in the end zone and gave them a safety when he threw the ball out of the end zone.  I've seen Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben and almost every other quarterback, even Eli struggle and get free after more than a quarter of a second before being called down by progress stopped.   That was horrendous officiating all night.   

But man that place was loud.   My ears rang for a week.   

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

And yet they took it like professionals.

Agreed but it's be dishonest not to mention that this was an early season game and not the game to go to the Super Bowl.

Tandy likes this

5 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Agreed but it's be dishonest not to mention that this was an early season game and not the game to go to the Super Bowl.

This is true - but every game counts - and home field advantage is always a factor.   Look at the play that knocked Pittsburgh out of the playoffs and gave New Orleans home field advantage - definitely a blown call.

The point is - it happens all the time.   They are no more entitled than any other team to have a do-over.    They can be hurt, enraged and frustrated just like the rest of us - but they are not entitled to any special treatment.

I recall the last game of the 2002 season at Cleveland where Alge Crumpler caught a TD pass (from Vick) with his feet past the goal line, and the referees said no TD and put the ball on the 1. It was the wrong call, and from there the Warrick Dunn would get stuffed at the 1 on two plays, and the Falcons went on to lose. That was not the only bad call in that game, as there was a really obvious facemask call on Vick that did not get called, and would have given the Falcons a new set of downs at a crucial moment. The loss allowed Cleveland to make into the playoffs for the 1st time since they had become a new expansion team. Fortunately the Falcons backed into the playoffs because Carolina beat the Saints that day. Dan reeves was pissed, but he never acted like Sean Payton, and got the team ready to whip the crap out of Green Bay the following week at Lambeau.

Edited by 4dabirds

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

They absolutely were.   But what pissed me off more was how fast they called Matt Ryan progress stopped in the end zone and gave them a safety when he threw the ball out of the end zone.  I've seen Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben and almost every other quarterback, even Eli struggle and get free after more than a quarter of a second before being called down by progress stopped.   That was horrendous officiating all night.   

But man that place was loud.   My ears rang for a week.   

I know! Terrible officiating but that’s awesome you got to go to the game! I watched it in Indiana and everyone thought I was insane for screaming “OFFSIDES!” At the tv all night lol. In fact none of them were even football fans but we still gotta show out for the red and black even when we’re the only ones, right? 

Tandy likes this

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

This is true - but every game counts - and home field advantage is always a factor.   Look at the play that knocked Pittsburgh out of the playoffs and gave New Orleans home field advantage - definitely a blown call.

The point is - it happens all the time.   They are no more entitled than any other team to have a do-over.    They can be hurt, enraged and frustrated just like the rest of us - but they are not entitled to any special treatment.

EX-ACT-LY. I doubt there is any fanbase who hasn't wanted a "re-do" for a certain call. But we don't go around filing lawsuits.

I've said this several times over the past few days and I will say it again. We also had a pretty obvious blown call in our own NFC Championship. But I don't sit around crying and whining about it. We had a 17 point lead. At home. We squandered it. The Saints had 13 and 10 point leads at home (TWO possessions) and squandered them. They even had what we didn't - THREE chances, two defensive and one offensive, to still win the game. And they didn't. The defense let the Rams get in field goal range twice and Brees threw a pick when he could have ended it all with a touchdown. That's not on the refs, Saints fans, that's on your TEAM. So man up (and woman up). You can cry about it for awhile (lord knows I have with big Falcons games that don't go our way), but the lawsuit is truly a new level of ridiculous I didn't know the swamp rats had in them.

15 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Saints have benefited a lot from bad officiating over the years. I heard the 2009 NFCCG vs the Vikings was one in particular although I didn't see that game.

The NFL later admitted  they missed several personal fouls on hits to Favre during the game including one that occurred during a red zone turnover.  The missed calls were the only reason they won that game. 

18 hours ago, NCFalconfan said:

Too Tall Jones was offsides.

Not only was he offsides, but he wanders down the line during the snap count so he's right where the play is designed to go when the ball is snapped.

Tandy, Drew4719 and NCFalconfan like this

22 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

The NFC Championship game against the Niners comes to mind. The ref saw Bowman mug White and no flag. I was pissed. But I still acted with class unlike some fans I know. 

The Problem is I am SURE you have a thread on here to talk about a bad snap, a blown lead, a bad play call, lack of depth on the D-line where you are putting our loss on one of those things. 

FalconinPA likes this

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

The Problem is I am SURE you have a thread on here to talk about a bad snap, a blown lead, a bad play call, lack of depth on the D-line where you are putting our loss on one of those things. 

Lol, sure. Many of them. None to petition for a replayed game. That Niner game came to mind because it was very similar to the Saints game. It's just that we did't get another chance after that. I made a few comments on here that it was BS. But I see your point.

23 hours ago, Red&Black said:

Not won or lost, but when I've never seen a more blatant case of rotten officiating than when we played the panthers, Hester took a kickoff return for a TD, refs called it a TD, then threw a flag and said he had a facemask penalty when he stiff-armed a defender.  They took points off the board, showed the replay, and Hester had his hand at the crown of the helmet, not a facemask!

Wasn't that against the Cardinals?  I replayed this video and only remember this time....if it's not then this counts as a second time that happened.

https://247sports.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/Bolt/Cardinals-punter-fined-for-uncalled-facemask-on-Hesters-return-33614973/

8 hours ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Playoff game vs the cardinals. They were offsides every ******* play

I honestly think if we would have beaten the Cardinals we would have made the SB that year.

MoFalconsFan56 likes this

38 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

Wasn't that against the Cardinals?  I replayed this video and only remember this time....if it's not then this counts as a second time that happened.

https://247sports.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/Bolt/Cardinals-punter-fined-for-uncalled-facemask-on-Hesters-return-33614973/

Yep you're right it was the cardinals.  And refs didn't signal the TD like I falsely remembered, our own guy did.  I was livid! Still mad about it for Hester.  http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/10539/devin-hester-i-cant-get-my-touchdown-back

Edited by Red&Black
federicofalcon2 likes this

First thing that came to mind is that two consecutive weeks we got hosed on no calls on Julio, first Seattle then San Diego in 2016. It didn’t matter in the end because we went to the SB that year but that no call against Seattle was every bit as egregious as the Saints call, it just wasn’t in the playoffs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2016/10/23/13375498/julio-jones-pass-interference-chargers-falcons-referees

Edited by blackredfellow

1 hour ago, FalconinPA said:

Lol, sure. Many of them. None to petition for a replayed game. That Niner game came to mind because it was very similar to the Saints game. It's just that he did't get another chance after than. I made a few comments on here that it was BS. But I see your point.

I did as well, but I also said it wasn’t THE REASON we lost. Even though it had a more DIRECT effect on the outcome with it being the last offensive play of the season for us(not like we kicked a go ahead Fg, gave that back. Won an OT COIN TOSS and then turned that over too). Our season LITERALLY ended on that play!

But most on here knew we lost the game way before that!

FalconinPA likes this

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I honestly think if we would have beaten the Cardinals we would have made the SB that year.

I do too. I think we would’ve beat the Ravens in 12 too. The final play against SF will always haunt me. Still funny to laugh at the saints tho hahahaahha 

Falcons Fan MVP likes this