Falcons Fan MVP

Are there any games that you can recall where the Falcons won or lost because of bad officiating?

79 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Tandy said:

That's as close as it comes because they put points on the board with bad calls.

And if memory serves those points were the difference

Tandy likes this

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And if memory serves those points were the difference

Yes they were.

1 hour ago, IfTheBirdsCouldTalk said:

How bout the phantom 3 straight holding calls on 3rd Downs in the second half of our super bowl on Brian Poole Everytime if I remember correctly.. I mean that tired the defense out and kept the Pats in the game.. 

3 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

It's also how they (the refs) helped the Patriots get back in the game.

No, guys, this is always misremembered. This was the drive that ended in the pick-6. So while it certainly played into the defense being tired, it also directly resulted in Falcons points.

16 minutes ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

Um...last year, the Saints game in the swamp?:argh:

That's 99% of the games down in the Tidy Bowl. Especially their Katrina gifted season.  It was ridiculous the amount of non-calls against the Aints.

ratesforless likes this

1 minute ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

No, guys, this is always misremembered. This was the drive that ended in the pick-6. So while it certainly played into the defense being tired, it also directly resulted in Falcons points.

No it wasn't.   Alford intercepted Brady in the 2nd quarter.   The refs started the 3rd/4th quarter comeback with constant flags on the secondary to help them get back in the game.

ratesforless likes this

1 minute ago, Da_Truth said:

No it wasn't.   Alford intercepted Brady in the 2nd quarter.   The refs started the 3rd/4th quarter comeback with constant flags on the secondary to help them get back in the game.

Watch from 13 minutes on. 3 straight holding calls on 3rd down, then a pick 6.

16 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Problem is the play happened too quick. Slant route, refs couldn’t get the flag out in time. Or they didn’t know whose turn it was to throw the flag. :ninja:

ratesforless likes this

2 minutes ago, Bquinn_11 said:

Problem is the play happened too quick. Slant route, refs couldn’t get the flag out in time. Or they didn’t know whose turn it was to throw the flag. :ninja:

Ha!!!! I believe it. I'm not arguing that those were phantom calls, they absolutely WERE trying to let them back in. I just remember at the time being so gleeful because it totally backfired and kept the drive going until it gave US 7 more points.

Of course, that was one of the last enjoyable things to happen. 

It's still an open wound.

Bquinn_11 and ratesforless like this

17 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Yeah I see the refs started the B.S. then to help them.  

1 minute ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Ha!!!! I believe it. I'm not arguing that those were phantom calls, they absolutely WERE trying to let them back in. I just remember at the time being so gleeful because it totally backfired and kept the drive going until it gave US 7 more points.

Of course, that was one of the last enjoyable things to happen. 

It's still an open wound.

I liked your post, but i really don’t. :sadwave:

Just now, theDIRTYcode said:

2012 immediately comes to mind. Sherman draped around Julio, no call. That's Saints defender who lit up Julio 3 yards before the ball got there. Have you just started watching Falcons football??

I live In VA so I only see about 3-5 Falcons games a year.

Last years Bills game where Ryan threw a incomplete pass 15-20 yards down field and it was ruled a fumble and taken back for a TD.  

One of the Fox broadcasters (Charles Davis maybe) covered the Falcons game the next week and was still mad about that call.

Jiminy Flippin' Christmas... I am scanning up channels and Benjamin Watson is on Fox News talking about how the NFL needs to make sure rule changes occur so this never happens again.

Why people hate the Saints is because they are acting like this crap never happened to anyone else other than them.  There was no rattling of chains for rules changes because of Katrina refs... it was no big deal when Roddy was mugged in 2012... there was no call for review of penalties when the Falcons were called for phantom penalties multiple times in the SB.

Get the **** over yourselves. Bad calls happen. Take your medicine and suck it the **** up, Buttercups. The world does not revolve around your sense of entitlement and righteous indignation over something that has been going on forever. Rules changes shouldn't come about every time you feel butthurt.

33 minutes ago, wuskillzz said:

Last years Bills game where Ryan threw a incomplete pass 15-20 yards down field and it was ruled a fumble and taken back for a TD.  

One of the Fox broadcasters (Charles Davis maybe) covered the Falcons game the next week and was still mad about that call.

That may not have been the biggest no call as far as impact on the season, but it was definitely the worst call I've ever seen in my life. I would bet my entire net worth if that pass had come from Brady's hand it would have been called incomplete 100 out of 100 times. 

NeonDeion and Tandy like this

1 hour ago, wuskillzz said:

there was also a pass where you see the ball clearly hit the turf and they ruled it an INT, that may have been against the Dolphins

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

I THINK we were losing badly anyway but the most ridiculous call I’ve ever heard was “It’s not holding because it was a screen pass,” when it would have meant a safety against the Saints and Breezy not hitting a record that night. 

It’s not holding because it’s a screen pass. Um, I’m sorry. What. 

31 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I THINK we were losing badly anyway but the most ridiculous call I’ve ever heard was “It’s not holding because it was a screen pass,” when it would have meant a safety against the Saints and Breezy not hitting a record that night. 

Somebody mentioned that call the other day so I went back and found it. Never heard such a ridiculous explanation. Play in question is about 2 hours and 1 minute in.

Falcons Fan MVP and Tandy like this

4 hours ago, IfTheBirdsCouldTalk said:

How bout the phantom 3 straight holding calls on 3rd Downs in the second half of our super bowl on Brian Poole Everytime if I remember correctly.. I mean that tired the defense out and kept the Pats in the game.. 

Buddy was holding. He gave up plays this year too. Scary thing is Dimi could be leaning on him in 2019.

5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

This is the first one that comes to mind. Refs took two TDs from Bobby Christian in this one:

Wow. I know you're a long time Falcons fan. If you can think of any from way back in the 80's or 90's feel free to post it.  

1 hour ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

The Saints have benefited a lot from bad officiating over the years. I heard the 2009 NFCCG vs the Vikings was one in particular although I didn't see that game.

Tandy likes this

51 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Saints have benefited a lot from bad officiating over the years. I heard the 2009 NFCCG vs the Vikings was one in particular although I didn't see that game.

They were literally assaulting Favre in that game.  

Not only big plays but I seem to recall a bunch of weird clock management from the refs when we played them. Plays stopping the clock for no reason when they need it and the clock still running when our guys go out of bounds. 

5 hours ago, wuskillzz said:

I'd somehow forgotten about this. One of the worst calls I've ever seen. Ryan clearly threw the ball away. I could see it in real time so was confident it would be overturned on replay.

7 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Jiminy Flippin' Christmas... I am scanning up channels and Benjamin Watson is on Fox News talking about how the NFL needs to make sure rule changes occur so this never happens again.

Why people hate the Saints is because they are acting like this crap never happened to anyone else other than them.  There was no rattling of chains for rules changes because of Katrina refs... it was no big deal when Roddy was mugged in 2012... there was no call for review of penalties when the Falcons were called for phantom penalties multiple times in the SB.

Get the **** over yourselves. Bad calls happen. Take your medicine and suck it the **** up, Buttercups. The world does not revolve around your sense of entitlement and righteous indignation over something that has been going on forever. Rules changes shouldn't come about every time you feel butthurt.

Amen. This is exactly why so many folks outside of the national media abjectly despise this team and their fanbase. At one point, they were thought of as 'lovable losers' like the Chicago Cubs; of course, we knew better than that. But after they were gifted that Lombardi, they've carried themselves with such an arrogance and attitude of entitlement that other fanbases turned sour on them as well. 

And as for the officials, well, as any football official will tell you (and I'm one of them), it takes many years of working the rec league, middle school, JV, and high school circuit just to gain enough trust from more experienced officials to work the multiple layers of college much less the pros. This process takes at least a decade or more unless you have a Dad high up in the business or happen to be in the right association where you can get a better look. So if anyone wants to wonder why there are so many older folks in stripes chasing behind younger and far more athletic men, well, you try talking some younger person into doing rec ball with obnoxious (and sometimes violent) parents and coaches yelling every obscenity in the dictionary at your back for around $50 a hit and see how far it goes. 

Anyway, back to the Aints. Them carrying on about getting screwed over like Bret Hart after the '97 Survivor Series is just not a good look. As we stated before, every NFL team has been put into the trick bag by bad officiating. So has every college and high school team as well. Until the human element of it is totally erased, that will continue to be the case so they need to get a grip on reality...

Edited by ratesforless
TheUsualStuff likes this