atljbo

Ed Oliver

101 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Jbo I thought you were a Simmons guy? 

I'm Simmons all the way .... To me he is thr 2nd best DT in this. Draft...  I just think TD is gonna be to falcon filter-ish .

 

I hope it changes by the draft because I don't think his situation is the same as others.

 

He is a stuuuud tho FFS1970

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vel said:

Oliver still scares the crap out of me. Small but highly athletic sounds good until he's getting steamrolled. Having two under sized DTs is a bit uneasy. Donald is smaller but he's got Suh/Brockers next to him. 

Donald is also insanely powerful at 280 lbs. I havent seen that out of Oliver. His highlights scream undersized speedy guy who will get swallowed up by technicians in the NFL. He is 4 yards into backfield before play gets going half the time. Its not like he is putting up crazy sack numbers. He has 10 in 3 years. Donald had 30 from the DT/DE position. Vic had 33 in 4 yrs so you cant put all your eggs in the production basket but still worth reference. I still like Oliver but more base end/nickel DT role. Problem is Jack Crawford is already that guy. 

vel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, vel said:

Oliver still scares the crap out of me. Small but highly athletic sounds good until he's getting steamrolled. Having two under sized DTs is a bit uneasy. Donald is smaller but he's got Suh/Brockers next to him. 

You talking like Donald wasnt dominating before Suh got there he been putting up number since he got in the league. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Just need a few QB hungry teams ahead of us to over-draft QBs.....

No matter what, we’re gonna get a good player at #14...

Yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Could he be moved outside to rush DE and inside on passing downs? I don’t like him as a FT DT for the reasons you said

What the Falcons really need is a 2 down LDE that can condense space and hold the edge at the POA against the run.

I’m looking at the roster now and the only guy I see capable is Derrick Shelby.If he is let go I’m wondering if Jack Crawford is that guy,I don’t know if he is.

Ed Oliver to me is a 3T but I would use him to push the pocket at 1T in obvious passing situations.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Is his stock suddenly rising?  Just about every mock I've seen had him going to us at 14. 

I think the opposite is true. He was considered a top 5 lock going into this year. Many had him pegged as the best prospect in the class. I think Atljbo is right and people are starting to over think it with him, which is why some some are projecting he falls to #14.

I'd love the pick.

Falconsin2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Donald is also insanely powerful at 280 lbs. I havent seen that out of Oliver. His highlights scream undersized speedy guy who will get swallowed up by technicians in the NFL. He is 4 yards into backfield before play gets going half the time. Its not like he is putting up crazy sack numbers. He has 10 in 3 years. Donald had 30 from the DT/DE position. Vic had 33 in 4 yrs so you cant put all your eggs in the production basket but still worth reference. I still like Oliver but more base end/nickel DT role. Problem is Jack Crawford is already that guy. 

People see Oliver at 270-280lbs and think he's a lightweight player who won't hold up in the run game. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Oliver is freaky strong and not just a speed guy.

'Along with being arguably the best player in college football, Oliver brings downright scary athleticism to the interior of the Cougars' defense. At 290 pounds, his vertical jump has improved to 36 inches, which would have tied him for second with fifth overall pick Bradley Chubb among 2018 NFL combine defensive linemen. He can broad jump 10-1, the same as safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, the Miami Dolphins' first-round pick, performed at the combine. Add in Oliver's freakish weight-room strength (650 squat, 405 bench press, 385 power clean), and the total package is an ultra-rare combination of physical gifts.'

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000938945/18-for-'18:-college-football's-most-freakish-athletes

He's also been one, if not the best run stopper in college over the last 3 years. He routinely lines up at the 0 & 1 tech spots in college and doubled or tripled on literally every play.

 

Falconsin2012 and Artys Arryn like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I think the opposite is true. He was considered a top 5 lock going into this year. Many had him pegged as the best prospect in the class. I think Atljbo is right and people are starting to over think it with him, which is why some some are projecting he falls to #14.

I'd love the pick.

Don't get me wrong, he's my pick after Q. Williams.  Just seeing everyone talk about how he'll be gone by our pick and the "experts" mocking him to us at 14 had me a little confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

People see Oliver at 270-280lbs and think he's a lightweight player who won't hold up in the run game. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Oliver is freaky strong and not just a speed guy.

'Along with being arguably the best player in college football, Oliver brings downright scary athleticism to the interior of the Cougars' defense. At 290 pounds, his vertical jump has improved to 36 inches, which would have tied him for second with fifth overall pick Bradley Chubb among 2018 NFL combine defensive linemen. He can broad jump 10-1, the same as safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, the Miami Dolphins' first-round pick, performed at the combine. Add in Oliver's freakish weight-room strength (650 squat, 405 bench press, 385 power clean), and the total package is an ultra-rare combination of physical gifts.'

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000938945/18-for-'18:-college-football's-most-freakish-athletes

He's also been one, if not the best run stopper in college over the last 3 years. He routinely lines up at the 0 & 1 tech spots in college and doubled or tripled on literally every play.

 

Those are great numbers.  He is absolutely a freak.  I am super impressed with his measurable even if I am not so swooned by his sack numbers.  I think he has all pro talent in him. 

However, part of the process is seeing how it translates and projecting it to the NFL.  The reality is, you don't go chasing after undersized DL unless they have shown ridiculous ability.  Donald had not 1 but 2 different 11 sack seasons in college. That's in 13 games. Ed Oliver for all the explosion and TFLs you would think you see more than 10 sacks.  I just don't know if we are going to hit the jackpot and get Donald-lite or if we are gonna get a situation pass rusher who isn't that great at getting to the QB.

If drafted Im hoping for the best as he has a high ceiling but due to his size, his floor is also super low.

MSalmon, vel and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stryka said:

Those are great numbers.  He is absolutely a freak.  I am super impressed with his measurable even if I am not so swooned by his sack numbers.  I think he has all pro talent in him. 

However, part of the process is seeing how it translates and projecting it to the NFL.  The reality is, you don't go chasing after undersized DL unless they have shown ridiculous ability.  Donald had not 1 but 2 different 11 sack seasons in college. That's in 13 games. Ed Oliver for all the explosion and TFLs you would think you see more than 10 sacks.  I just don't know if we are going to hit the jackpot and get Donald-lite or if we are gonna get a situation pass rusher who isn't that great at getting to the QB.

If drafted Im hoping for the best as he has a high ceiling but due to his size, his floor is also super low.

I think Donald has reset the bar when it comes to college and even NFL production. If you look at guys like Gerald McCoy, Geno Atkins, Grady Jarrett & Fletcher Cox they are produced at a similar level to Oliver. 

I think you've also got to look at the situation. Oliver was a consensus 5 star recruit, who from day 1 has been regarded as one of the best tackles in college. With that reputation has come attention and being at a smaller school, he's been the focus of the offenses attention from his freshman year. As a result he routinely faces double and even triples every play.

I look at his traits - unparalleled short area quickness, power and strength and I think with NFL coaching it's very easy to project him being one of the best interior pass rushers in the NFL.

Artys Arryn and Falconsin2012 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Could he be moved outside to rush DE and inside on passing downs? I don’t like him as a FT DT for the reasons you said

Play as a 5T? Eh, maybe. Didn’t we try Grady there or in some other random pass rush package a couple snaps this year?

MSalmon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stryka said:

Donald is also insanely powerful at 280 lbs. I havent seen that out of Oliver. His highlights scream undersized speedy guy who will get swallowed up by technicians in the NFL. He is 4 yards into backfield before play gets going half the time. Its not like he is putting up crazy sack numbers. He has 10 in 3 years. Donald had 30 from the DT/DE position. Vic had 33 in 4 yrs so you cant put all your eggs in the production basket but still worth reference. I still like Oliver but more base end/nickel DT role. Problem is Jack Crawford is already that guy. 

Exactly. Oliver is a gap shooter, but the lack of sacks worries me because that tells me something isn't translating. Can't use the "well he's doubled" card when he doesn't seem to have an issue with that getting TFLs in the run game. And like you said, unless he's coming in day one and putting up over 6 sacks, Crawford is already there. 

1 hour ago, TrueFalcon316 said:

You talking like Donald wasnt dominating before Suh got there he been putting up number since he got in the league. 

Did you miss the /Brockers part? He's not been paired with another undersized DT. The Rams aren't fools. They get a true 1T to maximize Donald's mismatch playing 3T. He was great with Brockers, but he put up legendary numbers with Suh next to him. 

MSalmon and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I think Donald has reset the bar when it comes to college and even NFL production. If you look at guys like Gerald McCoy, Geno Atkins, Grady Jarrett & Fletcher Cox they are produced at a similar level to Oliver. 

I think you've also got to look at the situation. Oliver was a consensus 5 star recruit, who from day 1 has been regarded as one of the best tackles in college. With that reputation has come attention and being at a smaller school, he's been the focus of the offenses attention from his freshman year. As a result he routinely faces double and even triples every play.

I look at his traits - unparalleled short area quickness, power and strength and I think with NFL coaching it's very easy to project him being one of the best interior pass rushers in the NFL.

Khalil Mack had no issue dominating at small school Buffalo. That's why the bolded part doesn't sell well to me. Mack downright abused players and when he showed up vs Ohio State, they got the same treatment. Same situation Oliver was in at Houston, being the lone star on a small school defense that attracted all of the offense's attention. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

People see Oliver at 270-280lbs and think he's a lightweight player who won't hold up in the run game. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Oliver is freaky strong and not just a speed guy.

'Along with being arguably the best player in college football, Oliver brings downright scary athleticism to the interior of the Cougars' defense. At 290 pounds, his vertical jump has improved to 36 inches, which would have tied him for second with fifth overall pick Bradley Chubb among 2018 NFL combine defensive linemen. He can broad jump 10-1, the same as safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, the Miami Dolphins' first-round pick, performed at the combine. Add in Oliver's freakish weight-room strength (650 squat, 405 bench press, 385 power clean), and the total package is an ultra-rare combination of physical gifts.'

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000938945/18-for-'18:-college-football's-most-freakish-athletes

He's also been one, if not the best run stopper in college over the last 3 years. He routinely lines up at the 0 & 1 tech spots in college and doubled or tripled on literally every play.

 

Oliver in the run game isn’t an issue if Senat and Jarrett are there for the most part anyways what we need is that base end that’s the key.

Smiler11 and Stryka like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I think Donald has reset the bar when it comes to college and even NFL production. If you look at guys like Gerald McCoy, Geno Atkins, Grady Jarrett & Fletcher Cox they are produced at a similar level to Oliver. 

I think you've also got to look at the situation. Oliver was a consensus 5 star recruit, who from day 1 has been regarded as one of the best tackles in college. With that reputation has come attention and being at a smaller school, he's been the focus of the offenses attention from his freshman year. As a result he routinely faces double and even triples every play.

I look at his traits - unparalleled short area quickness, power and strength and I think with NFL coaching it's very easy to project him being one of the best interior pass rushers in the NFL.

Yea I don't want to set the bar with Donald. That's unfair to other elite prospects.  Donald is a generational talent and has been since his college days.  Yes statistically he measures up to those guys.  He has lived up to the pressure but he also faced plenty of talent that wouldn't even make it in SEC/ACC much less the NFL.  I would never draw the line and say because of that solely Im iffy on him.  DeMarcus Ware was from Troy,  K. Mack from Buffalo.

I think he is a very good prospect but Im also thinking scheme fit and need for us.  If we didn't have a Grady Jarrett then I would be ok getting a smallish guy.  We all watched Poe leave our defense along with Rubin and we got gashed.  I think a smaller pass rusher bodes well for a high octane offense but when you need to stop the run the avg weight of your DL cant be 280lbs or you are gonna get smashed. I know Oliver is a stout run defender but I would have loved to see him do it in a major conference.

The last statement is what worries me.  I think he can be an elite pass rusher but our defense needs more than just pass rush from the DT spot especially since the fit next to grady would preferably be a 0 or 1 tech 2 gap guy like Poe was but still with some pocket push.

vel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Oliver in the run game isn’t an issue if Senat and Jarrett are there for the most part anyways what we need is that base end that’s the key.

Exactly what people are missing.  We need that base DE that can be stout vs run and rush the passer.  Micheal Bennett is the prototype and that's what I want.  I don't want a 290 lbs penetrator next to Grady, I also don't want another 245 lbs DE playing in base defense.  We need to replace Shelby and Reed and I think we can get a guy who does what they do but better.

vel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, vel said:

Khalil Mack had no issue dominating at small school Buffalo. That's why the bolded part doesn't sell well to me. Mack downright abused players and when he showed up vs Ohio State, they got the same treatment. Same situation Oliver was in at Houston, being the lone star on a small school defense that attracted all of the offense's attention. 

It's a lot harder to be doubled or tripled on the edge. Oliver was primarily lined up across from the center at the 0 or 1 tech. Put him opposite a guy like Grady and I think he'll eat.

Fernando C. and Falconsin2012 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Oliver in the run game isn’t an issue if Senat and Jarrett are there for the most part anyways what we need is that base end that’s the key.

Yep I agree. That's why I've always been on the Gary and Oliver bandwagon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

It's a lot harder to be doubled or tripled on the edge. Oliver was primarily lined up across from the center at the 0 or 1 tech. Put him opposite a guy like Grady and I think he'll eat.

OT, TE, chipped with a RB. There you go. 

Oliver was good enough to beat double teams in the ground game but not the passing game. That's the big question I have and nobody has an answer for it. Because there really is none. That's the biggest projection in his game for me. If he can turn that explosiveness that allows him to disrupt the run game into production in the passing game, then he's going to be great. 

MSalmon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TSprings said:

Our corners had a down, year but i'm not jumping ship just yet. A rookie corner is not likely to make an immediate impact. Much thinner at interior DL than Trufant, Alford, Oliver, Pool... with 3 very capable safeties as well. 

I'm just guesing based on what TD is quoted as stating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

It's a lot harder to be doubled or tripled on the edge. Oliver was primarily lined up across from the center at the 0 or 1 tech. Put him opposite a guy like Grady and I think he'll eat.

Oliver's knee was hurt for a while. I thought that was reported back then.

Edited by Rise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stryka said:

Exactly what people are missing.  We need that base DE that can be stout vs run and rush the passer.  Micheal Bennett is the prototype and that's what I want.  I don't want a 290 lbs penetrator next to Grady, I also don't want another 245 lbs DE playing in base defense.  We need to replace Shelby and Reed and I think we can get a guy who does what they do but better.

The British DL, Crawford. He's going to garner more snaps than just 3rd down, and backing-up Grady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Haven't had a DT drafted top 10 since 2011 but okay

I based my gues of a DB at #14 based on what TD is quoted as a "priority" in the offseason on the Falcoholic article.

PIus, do not expect these DTs to be available by #14:

Williams, Oliver, Gary, and Simmons.

 

The Bleacher Report posted that The Falcons are listed as the #1 organization predicted to be trading-for WR Antonio Brown.

So, I doubt that's happening. That's way "out-there".

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now