falcons007

Falcons DL busts... Vic Beasley leads the pack of DL.

68 posts in this topic

Falcons DL stats through first 4 seasons.

1. Vic Beasley:  62 games, 29.5 Sacks ( most sacks), 28 TFL. 9 FF

2. Patrick Kerney: 64 games, 27.5 sacks, 34 TFL. 9 FF

3. Mike Pitts: 62 Games, 25 sacks

4 Chuck Smith: 60 games, 22 Sacks

5. Travis Hall : 45 games, 21 Sacks

6. Rick Bryan: 57 games, 19 sacks

7. Aundray Bruce: 63 games, 16 sacks.

8. Mike Gann : 60 games, 15 sacks. 

Biggest busts:

Jamaal Anderson 4.5 sacks. There are many DB who had more sacks than him.

End of busts:

Special mention:

Kroy Biermann. Had 12.5 sacks in first 4 years in limited playing time. Rounds up the top 10.

Edit: 

First 4 years, All time top 10 picks in first round DE/OLB sacks: 

Vic is 11th In sacks and 13 in TFL for loss compared to other top 10 picks. 

2 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Wasn’t Kroy like a 5th rounder? I don’t really consider anyone drafted after the 3rd round a bust. 

Just now, falconsd56 said:

How is Beirman a bust?? He was what. 5th round pick?

He played 8 years in the nfl ....he had a solid nfl career....better then alot of first rounders.

Now compare Beasley to the other pass rushers drafted around him

Well he isn’t bust. Typing on phone can be pain. 

8 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Falcons DL stats through first 4 seasons.

1. Vic Beasley:  62 games, 29.5 Sacks ( most sacks), 28 TFL. 9 FF

2. Patrick Kerney: 64 games, 27.5 sacks, 34 TFL. 9 FF

3. Mike Pitts: 62 Games, 25 sacks

4 Chuck Smith: 60 games, 22 Sacks

5. Travis Hall : 45 games, 21 Sacks

6. Rick Bryan: 57 games, 19 sacks

7. Aundray Bruce: 63 games, 16 sacks.

8. Mike Gann : 60 games, 15 sacks. 

Biggest busts:

Jamaal Anderson 4.5 sacks. There are many DB who had more sacks than him.

End of busts:

Special mention:

Kroy Biermann. Had 12.5 sacks in first 4 years in limited playing time. 

Looks to me that adding pieces along with beasley would be good.  

25 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

He played 8 years in the nfl ....he had a solid nfl career....better then alot of first rounders.

Added the top10 picks in all drafts from the time they started counting sacks.

23 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

It’s an interesting decision. I guess DQ would have to weigh in if MM was reason Vic played out of position and not used well. I rather renegotiate with him and cut Alford. 

11 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It’s an interesting decision. I guess DQ would have to weigh in if MM was reason Vic played out of position and not used well. I rather renegotiate with him and cut Alford. 

I think he should be used the exact way Irvin was being used and have them both all over the place rushing 

Cut Alford, Reed, Shelby and add some multidimensional players via draft 

7 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

I think he should be used the exact way Irvin was being used and have them both all over the place rushing 

Yeah. I am open for a trade if some one pops up. 

anm263 likes this

46 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I actually just did this not to long ago here on this site believe it or not.  I was wondering how well the players in that draft played out because alot of people liked other pass rushers over beasley in that draft although i was a beasley guy he was in most of my mocks i won't deny it lol. 

But here is how that draft shacked out for edge rushers

Vic Beasley -     114 tackles  29.5 sacks   28 TFL  34 QB hits  1 int  9 FF 10 PD  2TD's - 1 Pro Bowl
Arik Armstead - 98 Tackles    9 Sacks       13 TFL    29 QB Hits   0 int 1 FF  1 PD   0 TD's - 0 pro bowls
Shane Ray -      94 Tackles   14 Sacks     15 TFL  33 QB Hits  0 int   2 FF   2 PD  1 TD - 0 Pro Bowls
Bud Dupree -    132 Tackles  20 Sacks    30 TFL   33 QB Hits  1 int  2 FF   6 PD  0 TD - 0 Pro Bowls
Mario Edward -  85 Tackles   8 Sacks       10 TFL   20 QB Hits  0 int  4 FF  2 PD   0 TD - 0 Pro Bowls
Randy Gregory - 45 Tackles 7 Sacks        11 TFL   23 QB Hits  0 int  2 FF  0 PD  0 TD - 0 Pro Bowls  
Preston Smith - 168 Tackles  24.5 Sacks   29 TFL  59 QB hits  4 int  4 FF  13 PD  1 TD - 0 Pro Bowls
Nate Orchard -  69 Tackles    5 Sacks       9 TFL   14 QB Hits   1 int   2 FF  5 PD   0 TD - 0 Pro bowls
Markus Golden - 119 Tackles 18.5 sacks  26 TFL  42 QB Hits   0 int  6 FF  3 PD  0 TD - 0 Pro Bowls
Frank Clark -     136 Tackles  35 Sacks     35 TFL   72 QB Hits  1 int  8 FF  6 PD 0 TD - 0 Pro Bowls
Eli Harold -         95 Tackles   9 Sacks       16 TFL    20 QB Hits  0 int  1 FF  1 PD 0 TD - 0 Pro Bowls
Danielle Hunter  206 Tackles  40 Sacks      52 TFL    58 QB Hits  0 int   3 FF 3 PD 2 TD - 1 Pro Bowl

Rest of them from here on out are all garbage from 4th round down and amounted to nothing sadly lol. 

So from that class of edge rushers the best guys imo are in order

Danielle Hunter
Frank Clark
Preston Smith
Vic Beasley
Bud Dupree
Markus Golden

Frank should have made a pro bowl some how that dude has been a beast in the nfl imo. 

either way that was a pretty decent edge rushing class and Beasley has been solid for the most part as the 4th best in that class.  Now i agree he was picked alot higher than them all so the expectations were higher but he hasn't been a bust by no means and was better than alot of other people drafted at his position and better than quite a few people drafted right after him that people wanted in  Dupree, Ray, Armstead, and Gregory.  Those are the exact 4 people others that didn't want beasley wanted us to draft in that class in the 1st round at our pick that at the time was considered about his same value.  He has outdone them all at this point so imo we chose the right guy based on value and what most experts said were the best guys there. We chose the best of the bunch but 3 other guys were better than him overall that i listed above.

16 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I feel like we can strike gold with beasley.... If we can sign him around a 3 or 4 year deal 7-8 mil a year...

If Coach Quinn can get more hands on and get closer to that 2016 outta him by building up the dline and building a solid rotation

This is pretty much the ideal end game on keeping him. Idk his price if he goes off again in his final year.

Knight of God and falcons007 like this

58 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

Agree on the cuts; although Shelby will be a FA as it is.

That leads to the point on 5T role as well. We’d effectively not have a base run DE spot without Reed and Shelby.

DE suddenly becomes more of a concern than DT in terms of overturn; it may simply need an upgrade to McClain.

Keep Beasley if he will take a reasonable offer.  Strip away year two and he has a very meh career. I don't think he is a bust, but he is not anywhere an elite pass rusher or DE.  Right now he is a one trick pony.  He has one very good trick (speed rush) but is too easily neutralized.

If he wants 8+ million, let him walk.  If he takes an appropriate offer, keep him.  He has no bargaining power here.  Take it or leave it is what I would tell him.

Flying Falcon and rings639 like this

2 hours ago, GrimeyKidd said:

Beasley got more than half of those sacks in one season, so those sacks are a bit miss leading. What about his last two seasons ?

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

I feel like we can strike gold with beasley.... If we can sign him around a 3 or 4 year deal 7-8 mil a year...

If Coach Quinn can get more hands on and get closer to that 2016 outta him by building up the dline and building a solid rotation

Hope your right, but I don't agree with your assessment.

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Agree on the cuts; although Shelby will be a FA as it is.

That leads to the point on 5T role as well. We’d effectively not have a base run DE spot without Reed and Shelby.

DE suddenly becomes more of a concern than DT in terms of overturn; it may simply need an upgrade to McClain.

Takk(?), Beasley, Means, Irvin

Ergo Proxy and falcons007 like this

Bottom line you keep #44 at a reasonable price it gives you the luxury of drafting or FA another position of need. Aint gonna lie want an interior DL to pair with Grady, early but lately been looking at OL early and try to find defensive line beef later as it seems deeper. If Cody Ford's there it would difficult to pass on him, some draft gurus are high on him, like 10 year starter etc. Also what about Anthony Barr as a possible FA, always liked his game.

PS would like to add that was Dante Fowler that pressured Brees into the late game Int. Sometimes its about change of scenery, growing into the NFL game or just playing with better coaches and teamates. So should Vic get a better offer they had better have contingency plans.might have to find somebody that as struggled and may be had for cheap but still be effective

JDaveG and g-dawg like this

Beasely has had (little) help on that line.

2015: Jarrett was played at NT - and they were gashed .

He's a SDE. Then, the 1st rounder for McKinnley could've gone to O-Line, CB, or a true NT.

Senat is a "Grady-clone" according to the experts at The Flag-ship station.

So, you see a drafting-philosophy take hold now.

So, they've chosen to follow a pattern of non-run-stuffers, and guys how can be shoved-out of the way as they try to pad sack-stats. Yet, they still get no pressure or more than 6 sacks a season each. Beasley gets all the blame.

Watch as The Patriots maul and mis-drect Aaron Donald and Suh - because they do not stop the run first.

"Fast & Physical" is not good when you're fooled easily.

Actualy place Beasley in more 3rd & Long situations, and watch as the sacks increase.

Edited by Rise
falcons007 and papachaz like this

Honestly Kerney is my favourite falcon (apart from Prime) of all time. He started slow but ramped up to be a very dominant player with an unrelenting motor. Kinda the anti Beaseley who gives up too easy on plays and seems to be going backwards. Don’t discount Shanny’s offencive firepower accounting for around 5-7 of Beaseley 2016 (pin the ears back) sacks