Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2_legit_2_legit_2_quit

Pass interference replay won’t work

48 posts in this topic

What I read one proposal would allow PI calls to be challenged but the challenge rules wouldn’t change.

I actually like this it makes them even more valuable.

Geneaut likes this

6 hours ago, CaliFalcons said:

Yeah I wished they would change OT like college football.

Definitely! 

On the topic: PI as a reviewable play is nonsense. Sure, the limit on challenges will  prevent it happening constantly outside 2 minutes, but when it's replayed in the booth, it could literally be stopped every single time a team drops back to pass. They'd have to examine each receiver to make sure they weren't interfering.

On top of that, where does  it stop? If PI can be challenged, then so can holding? Face mask? Personal Fouls? It'd be a circus. 

CaliFalcons and JDaveG like this

12 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Yep... if you looked at just the Saints secondary every game you can probably find two or three pass interference calls that were not called...At least

Do you mean per play, per possession, per quarter ? Because 2 or 3 per game is off by at least a factor of 10.

I should add in here, if the NFL was serious about fixing an actual dangerous problem in their rules, they'd ban the offensive stiff arm by RBs, QBs and WRs. This is called on DL all the time for shoving the OL heads back. The same whiplash effect happens when ball carriers do it, yet crickets from the NFL. 

There are a lot more pressing problems in the rules than reviewing a PI. 

I do agree that the call was missed, and it was egregious. However Saints fans would not have been saying anything if the roles were reversed. 

That being said, I think the NFL refs need way more training. With the inconsistency of penalties called, as well as the variance of calls between the refs, I think there needs to be more of a “checks and balances” approach. 

Perhaps a more comprehensive review team that can overturn refs rulings/non-rulings on certain missed penalties, within certain parameters of the game. Or they could increase the amount of refs on the field, but that could muddy the waters a bit.

I personally think they should create a completely different challenge flag, something that can only be used once per game and only on penalty/non-call penalty calls. This could bridge a gap between non-calls on egregious plays and multiple “ticky tack” penalty plays. 

federicofalcon2 likes this

Heard a guy on the radio with an idea. 3 challenges ... for anything, anytime. Challenge the coin flip if you are crazy enough.

That's it though. 3. Hard enforced 90 second review. If you can't make the call in 90 seconds the play stands as called.

Edited by Geneaut

The NFL is  a literal **** show with penalties/non calls etc.

It REALLY kills the flow of the game. Other sports are not nearly as bad the NFL needs to get it's **** together cause watching the game. 

You either have a penalty nearly every play or you have major no calls. The NFL has to be this fixed

9 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Heard a guy on the radio with an idea. 3 challenges ... for anything, anytime. Challenge the coin flip if you are crazy enough.

That's it though. 3. Hard enforced 90 second review. If you can't make the call in 90 seconds the play stands as called.

Yea that would probably be better.

Refs need better training though and they need to streamline the rule book. I'm getting really frustrated watching a game where their are penalties every other play.

Geneaut likes this

There's no way to make PI reviewable, because it does happen on nearly every play. There has to be some sort of contact to keep scoring in check. Think about it. How do you ask a DB to run backwards or sideways as fast a WR who is running forwards, and not make some sort of contact? Yes, they let some contact go on in the 5-yard cushion, but many teams don't allow the DB to get that close for fear of getting blocked away from a run play, getting rubbed on a pick, or getting beat on the first step out of the gate. Also, WR's are just as handsy themselves with subtle push-offs. Receivers and DBs are both a crafty bunch, and it is one of the facets of the game that makes it so entertaining.

The refs simply need to do a better job. Maybe, that means more refs on the field to see all the infractions that go on. I don't know. I do know that there is often a lack of consistency every week when it comes to penalties (between both teams playing), and that is very frustrating.

15 hours ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

There is legitimately pass interference on almost every play in the NFL to some degree. 

If they make that reviewable, coaches could potentially call it on every play and win. This would slow the game down to a snails pace. It would be like challenging holds at the line of scrimmage.

i just don’t see it working.

I agree 100 percent. They will hire someone to sit in the booth and watch every play for it, just so they could possibly overturn any non call they think may benefit them.

I know most won't agree with me, but I think the NFL should do it like college does it for pass interference. Mark of 15 yards and be done with it. Who knows if the receiver would have caught the ball anyway. 

3 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

I know most won't agree with me, but I think the NFL should do it like college does it for pass interference. Mark of 15 yards and be done with it. Who knows if the receiver would have caught the ball anyway. 

I would be okay with that.

FalconinPA likes this

1 minute ago, TNFalcon1 said:

I would be okay with that.

I say this because how many times in the game does a team lose on a pass interference in the final minutes of a game. 

I don't understand what pass interference is.  It varies according to the crew calling the game.  I don't think officials should have an option to "just let them play".  It should be defined well enough they can at least be consistent throughout the league.  Same thing with defensive holding.  Wrap your arm around my waist and you are holding me back. 

Seeing as PI in most cases is a JUDGEMENT call, I just don't see it working out for anyone in the long run.  It will be more like a coach using it at a time when it could flip the advantage (if they allow more penalties to be challenged) and YES there are calls every game missed, some blantant, some you don't realize until after looking.  The Saints game had at least 3 that should've been called against them and none of them are being brought up as a reason to have penalties reviewed.  I just see it as we are taking away the game from the natural way it is supposed to be played and allowing people to dictate every issue.  It's natural for people to miss things.  IMO a personal foul is also a judgement call, but they are not all penalized the same.  Some are given a yard penalty, while others are ejected from the game.  (Even if all the factors required have not been met) I think we should not allow PI to be considered reviewable.  Because I've said it before and I'll say it again.  GAMES ARE NOT WON AND LOST ON ONE PLAY.  The Saints COULD have won that game, but in the sense of the Raiders/Patriots TUCK RULE game, the opposition could have stopped the other team but allowed 2 more scores in BOTH games.  I believe a few Falcon fans on here agree with me when I say WHY leave it up to the refs? Score as many points as you can....ensure your team is walking out with the W by putting the pedal to the floor and never letting up.  Complaining that "we should've won that game if it wasn't for the refs" is just complaining about nonsense. Do what you need to do and win the game earlier, rather then leaving it up to chance or hope that the "one play" goes your way allowing you to sneak away with the victory.  Show your dominance.  I hate to say it but we did exactly THAT against SEA and GB in 2016 but failed to in the SB.  Putting your foot on the throat of your opponent and pushing down hard is the only way you're going to avoid having the game decided by anybody else but you.

I would also be in favor of changing the PI to be a standard 15 yard penalty. As someone mentioned here, we assume a receiver would catch the ball and also many games are changed at the end and team end up losing because some deep bomb to the end zone that gets the call. 

federicofalcon2 likes this

16 hours ago, caponine said:

Saint’s live inside this board’s heads rent free. 

We tried charging them rent but they are all broke ... Not sure what the spend their "checks" on over there but it isn't toothpaste and deodorant... 

I hope the Saints coaches, GM, owner etc. are successful in their attempts to get p.i. calls/no calls reviewed by instant replay and then next year in the playoffs they get a no-call p.i. reversed on one of their defenders that helps seal the game for the opposing team(Falcons).  That is the only thing that would make this story even better lol

Geneaut likes this

16 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

And they drink moose piss that they disguise as beer......lets not go down that path!

It actually works incredibly well in the CFL. And I drink Guinness almost exclusively. 

17 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Everyone acts like the guy would have caught the ball of he wasnt touched.. Let it go, we have more post on the Falcons forum about the Saints then they do. 

I think that's why they didn't throw the flag, because by the time contact was made the ball was far behind the receiver.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this