Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falconsd56

Back to Falcons related talk

18 posts in this topic

Now that we have mocked the saints for choking harder than like  a ron jeremy video.........

One of the the most underrated needs that I feel that does not get as much hype as other positions......linebacker.

Our linebacker play for most of the year just strait up sucked....from run fits to underneath passing coverage they were just bad.

Campbell was among the bigger disappointments to me....he failed in the leadership role that we needed him to have.

Duke also was a disappointment......he is a good ST guy but the defense got better when he was not on the field.

Foyesade Oluokun showed promise... he obviously has the intelligence and the athletic ability to play in the NFL but he seemed to lack instincts.

Deebo struggled when he came back but that is to be expected.

Carter was a pleasant surprise and he played better than I expected but he is still very upgradeable.

For all the talk about the offensive line, defensive tackle, cornerback and all the otherer positions I don't think we really talked enough about just how  important linebacker play is to our scheme and the overall ability of our defense.

Having said all of that I think we will probably splurge on one to two "big name" free agents.... and the guy that I think is nearly a lock to be a falcon if he reaches free agency is KJ Wright.

He knows the defense , he knows Dan Quinn... He is still pretty young and he's going to be looking to get paid, and with the potential cuts and restructures, we should have more than enough room to accommodate a couple hefty contracts.

There  are certainly other options but I think Wright makes the most sense.

maorifalcon and Dutty Ole Bird like this

I strongly agree with Linebacker being a big weak point.. I do think there is ways to be ok with the guys we have. Just for a idea 

R.Allen               D.Kazee

R.Alford.                                       D.Trufunt

Campbell.           Jones.           Neal 

Takk.         Craword.       Jerret.    Beasley 

Now Quinn said neal is our SS but I trust him more then anyone on our current LB (other then cambell and jones) to take on runners and to cover TE.

When we move to nickle all you do is move kazee and neal have kazee cover wideouts. . But using them to as moving parts will make for teams to have trouble because you don't know who is covering or blitzing.

I think linebackers should be looked at but not over OL,DT,DE that is are main focus.

As for leadership!! If you watch the falcons sound effects you know who you hear "talk" and being a "leader" more then anyone" Duke Riley!  Is anyone paying him any mind??? Nope. Because he is all talk not game... 

Duke is trash so far and ok in ST.

Oluokun: showed alot. He needs to trust what he sees more then anything..

16 minutes ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

I strongly agree with Linebacker being a big weak point.. I do think there is ways to be ok with the guys we have. Just for a idea 

R.Allen               D.Kazee

R.Alford.                                       D.Trufunt

Campbell.           Jones.           Neal 

Takk.         Craword.       Jerret.    Beasley 

Now Quinn said neal is our SS but I trust him more then anyone on our current LB (other then cambell and jones) to take on runners and to cover TE.

When we move to nickle all you do is move kazee and neal have kazee cover wideouts. . But using them to as moving parts will make for teams to have trouble because you don't know who is covering or blitzing.

I think linebackers should be looked at but not over OL,DT,DE that is are main focus.

As for leadership!! If you watch the falcons sound effects you know who you hear "talk" and being a "leader" more then anyone" Duke Riley!  Is anyone paying him any mind??? Nope. Because he is all talk not game... 

Duke is trash so far and ok in ST.

Oluokun: showed alot. He needs to trust what he sees more then anything..

If that's our defensive line next year....I might have to give up football

Well we kinda lost our 2 best LBs du ring the year... I don't think Deebo struggled ... I think it took him a game  or so to get back in the swing of things... I do think he will be 100% deebo next year tho

Also how we play our SS close to the LOS ... Neal is **** near a hybrid LB ... We missed him badly... The guy is not only our fumble king (set a record with the most fumbles forced in a players first 2 years) but he is also our best run defender. 

I don't think ppl know how much we miss with those 3 guys being out... With our D-Line not bearing all world we depend on there skill set in this scheme soooo much    

I think the most important thing is the D-Line... We would have been able to adjust better to those injuries with a souter more imposing D-Line.

I do think a Thomas Davis signing for for 2.5 mil a season for 2 years would be smart tho.. Not only is the guy still goid but I would love for Deion Jones and Foye to have a vet like him in there ear ... Plus  a rotation for the LBS would be nice ... It would allow us to blitz De'von dre more also

Geneaut, falconsd56 and FL Falcon like this

Leave the hedgehog alone!!!!

Back to the topic at hand.....if we forgoe the long term investment (3+ years)  that Wright would almost certainly require then the short term Thomas Davis would not be a bad signing...he can still run and he is obe of the headiest linebackers in the game.

Missing Neal did hurt more than anyone would care to admit......Debo hurt alot but losing Neal transformed the defense.....and not in a good way.

I really cannot wait until the season is over so we can start moving on to the actual offseason to see how we attack it. I think is going to be very very interesting how we approach this offseason.

Stryka likes this

The linebackers we already have will look a lot better when our line plays better. I will be very disappointed if we draft a linebacker or defensive back before draft Saturday.

50 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I do think a Thomas Davis signing for for 2.5 mil a season for 2 years would be smart tho.. Not only is the guy still goid but I would love for Deion Jones and Foye to have a vet like him in there ear ... Plus  a rotation for the LBS would be nice ... It would allow us to blitz De'von dre more also

I wouldn't mind Thomas Davis. He's from the area and would provide us with some experience at LB. Don't know how much money he would want though. I feel like he will get a decent amount from another team. 

Riley has already been replaced by Oluokun.   

With jones back healthy and Campbell we are good.   

We need O line help.  No half measures.  2 stud starters in FA, then a starter from 1st or second round in draft.   

O-line improves your entire team.   

- run blocking  =  improves run game.  Chews the clock, keeps your defense off the field. Takes pass rushers out of game.  Reduces blitzing.   Makes play action more effective.

- better pass blocking = better pass game.   Ability to pick apart a defense.   Ability to push the ball down the field. Improves screen game.  

Doctor Kildare likes this

48 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I wouldn't mind Thomas Davis. He's from the area and would provide us with some experience at LB. Don't know how much money he would want though. I feel like he will get a decent amount from another team. 

naw.. He was making like 3.5 mil last year....i think thats around what he is going to get.

16 minutes ago, atljbo said:

naw.. He was making like 3.5 mil last year....i think thats around what he is going to get.

Shoot.... I would love that then lol

9 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

If that's our defensive line next year....I might have to give up football

It was just for a idea. We don't know who is going to be on the team. Or who we draft.

Is it that I didn't put like 2 draft picks in? At the CB and DT spot? 

Because with what we currently have on this team without adding or losing anyone I would say that's our best line up.

RING OF HONOR likes this

36 minutes ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

It was just for a idea. We don't know who is going to be on the team. Or who we draft.

Is it that I didn't put like 2 draft picks in? At the CB and DT spot? 

Because with what we currently have on this team without adding or losing anyone I would say that's our best line up.

True....what with we have now...

I like what you did with the lbs and secondary....

I was just joking about not wanting to see Beasley and Crawford starting next year...lol

AllStarHandyMan likes this

5 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

True....what with we have now...

I like what you did with the lbs and secondary....

I was just joking about not wanting to see Beasley and Crawford starting next year...lol

Well I am NOT joking about VIc and Crawford being starters.  That is in anything other than the Nickel and Dime packages.  I think both guys can be good pass rushers and they both were effective in limited time.  When you ask a 285lbs DT/DE and a 245 lbs DE/OLB to be anchors for 3 downs, they get worn down and their pass rush takes a big hit.  These 2 need to be kept fresh for passing downs.  They had 11 sacks together, I think that number could be 15 or better if we can hold leads better and provide more opportunities. 

I want to see us draft or sign:

A. Bigger 270 lbs + DE/DT type that could kick inside at times.

B. Bigger 320 lbs + DT who can push pocket and command double teams.

IMO these 2 additions with the retention of Beasley and Irvin at fair cost fixes the DL.  Irvin also doubles as a SLB if necessary.

RING OF HONOR likes this