Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ergo Proxy

Draft History during DQ tenure

71 posts in this topic

TD has been great at drafting.   We definitely have some holes but on the OL but not because of effort.  Injuries and depreciation killed us. I agree that we have to stop the 'stopgap' mentality and get some fixtures on the OL.

Ergo Proxy likes this

18 hours ago, falcons007 said:

My biggest concern in DQ era is second round picks.

2015: Collins... bad pick

2016: Debo.. Great pick. 

2017: Duke Riley (traded down from second to early third) Bad pick. 

2018: Oliver (too early to say)... falcons need him to step up with Alford falling off the cliff. 

2019: We need an impact starter like Debo. 

There was a study done about 10 years ago that determined 2nd round draft picks 'hit' on about a 50% rate. They defined 'hit' pretty loosely as still being on a roster after 4 seasons.

Kind of shows how bad most NFL GMs draft LOL. Or maybe how hard it is to actually make it in the NFL.

Ergo Proxy likes this

5 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

There was a study done about 10 years ago that determined 2nd round draft picks 'hit' on about a 50% rate. They defined 'hit' pretty loosely as still being on a roster after 4 seasons.

Kind of shows how bad most NFL GMs draft LOL. Or maybe how hard it is to actually make it in the NFL.

Falcons in Smitty Era had good contributors in second round,  may be except couple of years. 

2008: Lofton.

2009: Willy Mo

2010: 2nd traded for TG, Corey Peters was solid pick in 3rd.

2011: 1-2 Julio. 

2012: Konz. Bad pick but at least he stepped up in 2012. 

2013: Alford 

2014: Hageman. A project pick and waste.

Geneaut, Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

20 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Whose shelling 15 per for Beasley ? I bet the Falcons won’t so whose doing that.

This is some made up stuff on these boards to prove how wrong there point is about him.

Fact of the matter all we are looking for him is a bit more consistency.Id put money on it Beasley is an easy 6-10 sack guy every year.

Except he's had over six sacks only once in his career.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:53 PM, tl;dr said:

I think this shows that we need some investment on the OL. Since 2013, we have only drafted one OL in the first 3 rounds (Matthews). 

In 2012 our first 2 picks were OL, but they were Konz and Holmes so yeah...

I  agree ,, Because the best D# is a Great O#,,, A LONG AS THE O IS ON THE FIELD,, The oppsosing O# is off the field... Think about it... Plus it helps our D# to be fresh the whole game and that helps them to play better than usual ... More O and less D keeps the D very fresh and strong.

tl;dr likes this

On 1/21/2019 at 4:32 PM, falcons007 said:

My biggest concern in DQ era is second round picks.

2015: Collins... bad pick

2016: Debo.. Great pick. 

2017: Duke Riley (traded down from second to early third) Bad pick. 

2018: Oliver (too early to say)... falcons need him to step up with Alford falling off the cliff. 

2019: We need an impact starter like Debo. 

Riley pick while concerning May stilll pan out as a STs and rotation guy. That’s not horrible for a third round pick

Collins was a first round talent but he couldn’t stay out of offfield trouble . Alford ended up a good second round pick. Lofton was a pretty good piece taken in second round. 

Stryka and Ergo Proxy like this

2 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Riley pick while concerning May stilll pan out as a STs and rotation guy. That’s not horrible for a third round pick

Collins was a first round talent but he couldn’t stay out of offfield trouble . Alford ended up a good second round pick. Lofton was a pretty good piece taken in second round. 

Exactly.  Projecting work ethic and character concerns are 2 of the toughest things to do.  Collins and Hageman are starters in this league if they work hard and stay out of trouble. They were both talented and both made splash plays occasionally.  Those were 2 good picks that didn't pan out due to non football related things.

Riley may be exactly that.  A core ST.  Its so frustrating watching him attack downhill with all his speed but still miss tackles and take bad angles.  Maybe sitting on the bench and playing ST will get him processing better.  He was a 3rd still.

Overall the drafts have been great and even the 2nd round has been good to us, just didn't stay good.

Ergo Proxy likes this

3 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Don’t sugarcoat, Riley was a very bad pick, MS. 

On 1/22/2019 at 11:54 AM, falcons007 said:

Falcons in Smitty Era had good contributors in second round,  may be except couple of years. 

2008: Lofton.

2009: Willy Mo

2010: 2nd traded for TG, Corey Peters was solid pick in 3rd.

2011: 1-2 Julio. 

2012: Konz. Bad pick but at least he stepped up in 2012. 

2013: Alford 

2014: Hageman. A project pick and waste.

Best draft by far for TD/Smitty was 2008....probably best draft in team history.

42 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Don’t sugarcoat, Riley was a very bad pick, MS. 

The Riley pick is just as bad as the Debo pick then. They literally picked both guys based on one year of starting film and projecting their flaws would improve with more snaps. Debo's did. Duke's didn't. Debo was a guy who was out of position a TON at LSU, flying too fast and not reading and reacting. Bullied by OL when they got to him. It was all about him learning to get better at those things.

Ergo Proxy likes this

2 hours ago, vel said:

The Riley pick is just as bad as the Debo pick then. They literally picked both guys based on one year of starting film and projecting their flaws would improve with more snaps. Debo's did. Duke's didn't. Debo was a guy who was out of position a TON at LSU, flying too fast and not reading and reacting. Bullied by OL when they got to him. It was all about him learning to get better at those things.

LOL, we haven’t had a good one of these in awhile....

Jones proved in his last year LSU he had great instincts and 3 down starter ability...his biggest concern was bulk, but scouts loved how he diagnosed plays. I was estatic when we grabbed him. 

Riley always has had questionable instincts. Always. Which is the biggest difference between the two, and why I never liked him for us. You could see it when he played in college, the hesitation in sitting and waiting and getting ‘caught in the trash’ as they say. How I, an amateur fan saw this and falcon scouts and Quinn didn’t is scary to me. I rather vocally said it in here when we drafted Riley on draft night he should have been a 5th-6th rounder for special teams (ala Russell Gage), not a 3rd. 

Sorry bro, but that’s just a lazy comparison IMO... apples and oranges. 

falcons007 likes this

Duke is arguably the worst draft pick in the DQ era to date; no sugarcoating it, in terms of overall pick for a specific draft. Especially after we traded up for Takk and he was our 2nd pick that year.

If he contributes positively overall next year that’s a salvage at this point.

If he winds up being a solid STs guy it still was an overdraft. That said, I’m no expert just being captain hindsight.:tiphat:

Collins was a risk but showed he was gonna be a player in the DQ system; had he controlled what went into his body/wanted to be a teammate first. That’s the other main one I’m thinking of atm.

Vandy likes this

20 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Duke is arguably the worst draft picks in the DQ era to date; no sugarcoating it, in terms of overall pick for a specific draft. Especially after we traded up for Takk and he was our 2nd pick that year.

If he contributes positively overall next year that’s a salvage at this point.

If he winds up being a solid STs guy it still was an overdraft. That said, I’m no expert just being captain hindsight.:tiphat:

Collins was a risk but showed he was gonna be a player in the DQ system; had he controlled what went into his body/wanted to be a teammate first. That’s the other main one I’m thinking of atm.

Collins had known baggage, so he was a very risky pick. High reward too, but nobody was really surprised when he imploded. 

Whats sad about him Ergo is he’s not a bad kid. Immature for sure, but not mean or anything like that.

Ergo Proxy and falcons007 like this

On ‎01‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:14 PM, atljbo said:

Man listen ... I know our team had a down year including Takk ... But yoooo can we as falcons fans not do this .... We are calling a freaking 7 sack season a down year for a 2nd year dude.... That's how freaking good we think we can be ...

Glad I wasn't the only one who WTF'd @ this.

falconidae likes this

6 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Not DQ era. Duke Riley was trade down to top 3rd round. He is underwhelming.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

LOL, we haven’t had a good one of these in awhile....

Jones proved in his last year LSU he had great instincts and 3 down starter ability...his biggest concern was bulk, but scouts loved how he diagnosed plays. I was estatic when we grabbed him. 

Riley always has had questionable instincts. Always. Which is the biggest difference between the two. You could see it when he played in college, the hesitation in sitting and waiting and getting ‘caught in the trash’. How I, an amateur fan saw this and falcon scouts and Quinn didn’t is scary to me. I rather vocally said it in here when we drafted Riley on draft night he should have been a 5th-6th rounder for special teams (ala Russell Gage), not a 3rd. 

Sorry bro, but that’s just a lazy comparison IMO... apples and oranges. 

Debo did more in first 3 weeks of his NFL career than Duke Riley in 2 years. He had some stuff to learn but pick 6 against Brees in first 3 games of his career showed what Debo was capable of in nfl.

Vandy likes this

36 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Debo did more in first 3 weeks of his NFL career than Duke Riley in 2 years. He had some stuff to learn but pick 6 against Brees in first 3 games of his career showed what Debo was capable of in nfl.

For sure 007. As excited as I was when we drafted him, never thought he would be this great. 

Our D really missed him when he was out last year. He’s our Bobby Wagner. 

falcons007 likes this

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

For sure 007. As excited as I was when we drafted him, never thought he would be this great. 

Our D really missed him when he was out last year. He’s our Bobby Wagner. 

Definitely, Debo didn’t get enough play time at LSU till the last year. He probably would have been top picks if he played more at LSU.

Vandy likes this