Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ergo Proxy

Draft History during DQ tenure

71 posts in this topic

Just looking at the landscape so far since DQ's tenure began; with an undecided 2018 draft class and several questions remaining from the 2017 class:

2015 Good (SEE Grady)

Beasley
Coleman
Hardy
Jarrett

3 Starters/1 Key Player/3 Duds

2016 Amazing

Neal
DeBo
Hooper
Campbell
Schweitzer
UDFA Poole

5 Starters / 1 Dud / 1 UDFA Gem

2017 Bad

Takk
Kazee

2 Starters / 3 Undecided(Saubert/Hill/Harlow) / 1 Duke

2018 Good

Ridley
Oliver
Senat
Foye

4 startes in 2018 / 1 Key(Ito) / 1 Undecided(Gage)

Conclusion:

By my count, we have roughly 16 good draft picks confirmed in terms of team contributions and 9 Duds or Unknowns at best as of today.

Most of the starting caliber picks were not great as rookies, but a few were such as Debo, Neal, Ridley, Hooper, and maybe TeCo.

So, we gotta nail our first two picks in addition to UFA in order for the LOS to get re-vamped like we're hoping. Even gems like Grady needed a year or were part-time rotation players or starters too soon in all honesty.

Totally agree ,,, You hit it dead on!!! Per pick Tak wins worst pick in the last 5 drafts... Hope he comes back stronger than ever and wins DE of the year ... And I wish him well,, and I have prayed for his mental health issues ... I do care about all people very much,, but in terms of drafting a player in the First round,, and in that draft.... There were much better DEs available ... Has nothing to do with how much I love all people,, especially those who are hurting.. I live my life trying to help those people,, we got my wifes niece who is having a lot of problems.. Not an easy task.. But we won't to try and help her. It's our obligation ...And I have worked in the jail and prison ministry for the last 26 years...And seen hundreds make a drastic change by trusting the peace maker. Jesus is his name.. 

Knight of God likes this

My biggest concern in DQ era is second round picks.

2015: Collins... bad pick

2016: Debo.. Great pick. 

2017: Duke Riley (traded down from second to early third) Bad pick. 

2018: Oliver (too early to say)... falcons need him to step up with Alford falling off the cliff. 

2019: We need an impact starter like Debo. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Just looking at the landscape so far since DQ's tenure began; with an undecided 2018 draft class and several questions remaining from the 2017 class:

2015 Good (SEE Grady)

Beasley
Coleman
Hardy
Jarrett

3 Starters/1 Key Player/3 Duds

2016 Amazing

Neal
DeBo
Hooper
Campbell
Schweitzer
UDFA Poole

5 Starters / 1 Dud / 1 UDFA Gem

2017 Bad

Takk
Kazee

2 Starters / 3 Undecided(Saubert/Hill/Harlow) / 1 Duke

2018 Good

Ridley
Oliver
Senat
Foye

4 startes in 2018 / 1 Key(Ito) / 1 Undecided(Gage)

Conclusion:

By my count, we have roughly 16 good draft picks confirmed in terms of team contributions and 9 Duds or Unknowns at best as of today.

Most of the starting caliber picks were not great as rookies, but a few were such as Debo, Neal, Ridley, Hooper, and maybe TeCo.

So, we gotta nail our first two picks in addition to UFA in order for the LOS to get re-vamped like we're hoping. Even gems like Grady needed a year or were part-time rotation players or starters too soon in all honesty.

Love that Riley has his own status.  Great analysis as usual, Ergo.  Hope FFS1970 doesn’t see this one...lol 

20 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Totally agree ,,, You hit it dead on!!! Per pick Tak wins worst pick in the last 5 drafts... Hope he comes back stronger than ever and wins DE of the year ... And I wish him well,, and I have prayed for his mental health issues ... I do care about all people very much,, but in terms of drafting a player in the First round,, and in that draft.... There were much better DEs available ... Has nothing to do with how much I love all people,, especially those who are hurting.. I live my life trying to help those people,, we got my wifes niece who is having a lot of problems.. Not an easy task.. But we won't to try and help her. It's our obligation ...And I have worked in the jail and prison ministry for the last 26 years...And seen hundreds make a drastic change by trusting the peace maker. Jesus is his name.. 

So Takk is worse than VB? C'mon man.

Statick, Stryka and Dirtybird3 like this

I think this shows that we need some investment on the OL. Since 2013, we have only drafted one OL in the first 3 rounds (Matthews). 

In 2012 our first 2 picks were OL, but they were Konz and Holmes so yeah...

JDaveG and Ergo Proxy like this

I think that 2017 will eventually pay off. 

Takk is a force on the field.  He has a great motor.  Obviously, for whatever reason, things simply haven't clicked for him.  Perhaps his personal matters are simply weighing on him too much.  Whatever the case, I'm not writing him off just yet.

Duke is a bust.  He seems to have all of the physical talent, but lacks vision/intuition.

Kazee is a breath of fresh air for us.  He's a ball hawk, which is exactly the kind of player we need on defense.  I'm really hoping that they let him and Allen compete for starting FS spot, and make the other the nickel.  Or...  Move Neal up to SLB and play cover 2 with Allen and Kazee.

I expect Saubert to make significant improvements this season.  Tight end's rarely bust onto the scene, and with all of the weapons that we have, he just wasn't given much of an opportunity to show anything in 2018. 

Hill showed up.  7.9 YPA last year.  Maybe that's just an anomaly, but the guy was clearly making plays when we gave him the ball.  But I realize, as everyone else should, that our running game will only be as strong as our OL.

No idea on Harlow.

Atl Falcon and Tim Mazetti like this

1 minute ago, tl;dr said:

I think this shows that we need some investment on the OL. Since 2013, we have only drafted one OL in the first 3 rounds (Matthews). 

In 2012 our first 2 picks were OL, but they were Konz and Holmes so yeah...

Yeah, we have been very weak with drafting OL ever since TD has been here.  We've drafted 11 OL over the last 10 drafts, and only 3 are still on the team.  Because we are so bad at drafting OL, we've had to resort to overpaying in free agency to get serviceable talent for the lines. 

I have no problem with us filling a spot on the OL with a free agent this year, but I also want to see no less than two picks devoted to OL, hopefully a late first 1st, (if we trade down) or a 2nd.  If we stand pat at 14, I don't want to see us draft for OL.  There's simply no value at that spot for OL.  If we trade back into the 20's, then we should take a shot at Cody Ford, or someone equally physically gifted.

Atl Falcon likes this

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yes they seem to be. I don’t get it either. 

When is 13 sacks in 1st two seasons a bad pick?

Man listen ... I know our team had a down year including Takk ... But yoooo can we as falcons fans not do this .... We are calling a freaking 7 sack season a down year for a 2nd year dude.... That's how freaking good we think we can be ...

It's 1 freaking season man.. It sucks.. we had injuries and 1 down 7-9 season....

Takk was a good pick.. He and T.J Watt are the 2 pass rushers producing in the back in of that 1st round... 

Taco had like 1 sack... Burnett had 2.5 ... Charles Harris had 1 sack last year

8 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Vic had 21 sacks and 8 FF his first 2 years and TATF can’t get him out of town fast enough

Weird thing is they call Vic a bust. He is ranked 30-40 on all time sack leaders after first 4 years. He isn’t bust just been inconsistent and I think it has more to do with coaching. 

10 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

We’ve been easily the best drafting team since DQ has been here. Here’s hoping it continues!

I’m all good with this... but who’s drafting TD or DQ? I think they’ve  been good but for whatever reason we still suck at consistently drafting OL DL. Hopefully that changes this year or it’s time to reboot. How many yrs does a GM get? The power is in the trenches.....

12 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Vic had 21 sacks and 8 FF his first 2 years and TATF can’t get him out of town fast enough

Biggest issue on him is that he's "finesse" aka soft. Is it wise to shell out 15 plus on a player who only feasted on backups and disappeared in every postseason game he'e been in?

egoprime II and dawgsjw like this

46 minutes ago, robertap said:

Yeah, we have been very weak with drafting OL ever since TD has been here.  We've drafted 11 OL over the last 10 drafts, and only 3 are still on the team.  Because we are so bad at drafting OL, we've had to resort to overpaying in free agency to get serviceable talent for the lines. 

I have no problem with us filling a spot on the OL with a free agent this year, but I also want to see no less than two picks devoted to OL, hopefully a late first 1st, (if we trade down) or a 2nd.  If we stand pat at 14, I don't want to see us draft for OL.  There's simply no value at that spot for OL.  If we trade back into the 20's, then we should take a shot at Cody Ford, or someone equally physically gifted.

I've heard the name Juwan James thrown around for RT and I would be fine with that. I think a solid RT helps our lackluster G play. 

In the 20s, I would be fine with Williams or Ford, both are likely G's in the NFL. Adding James and Ford instantly makes our OL MUCH better. I look at what happened with the Cowboys and Colts both took interior OL in the first 20 picks though... it really helped. Now I don't think Ford can be compared to Martin or Nelson, but an interior OL that early can work. He won't win it, but Nelson would have my vote for offensive ROY.  

Issue with Vic is retention price. He’d obviously be a solid fit in his pass rush role, but he has struggled playing base DE.

In Nickel packages, he is better suited.

Could be coaching. Could be scheme fit. He has strengths and weaknesses that will likely cause another team that may better utilize him to pay him longterm for the price.

Thats pretty much the main issue with Vic. Takk can start, but Vic has become somewhat marginalized after his 2016 outbreak. Will he peak again for us?

Not a bust by any means. Simply a reality of his UFA market after 2019. We probably hope he’d settle for a team friendly deal but who does these days without ever experiencing an UFA payday?

Takk has 3 more years himself and is projecting as a better overall player for our D, IMO.

Ideally, Vic breaks out and improves his craft and we value a competitive contract for him.

Does he take it or get overpaid somewhere like Denver?

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Weird thing is they call Vic a bust. He is ranked 30-40 on all time sack leaders after first 4 years. He isn’t bust just been inconsistent and I think it has more to do with coaching. 

I think coach quinn thinks that too.... But this is why I hate when ppl use the bust word... 

Jamaal Anderson was a bust... That's a bust ... 

Vic Beasley is inconsistent *** **** and it's Frustrating *** **** but the guy is not a bust