Goober Pyle

Schultz: Blank on Saints’ pre-Super Bowl loss: ‘I am smiling’

29 posts in this topic

https://theathletic.com/777706/2019/01/20/schultz-blank-on-saints-pre-super-bowl-loss-i-am-smiling/

When I moved to Atlanta nearly 30 years ago, the significance of the Falcons-New Orleans Saints rivalry eluded me. Neither franchise had ever played in a Super Bowl to that point, both were largely associated with spectacular failure, and this struck me as important of a rivalry as, say, a fish stick throwdown between Mrs. Paul’s and the Gorton’s fisherman.

I came to learn otherwise. It is the closest thing you’re going to find to a college rivalry in the NFL, with each team reveling in the other’s misery. So it should not come as a surprise that in the eyes of many in Atlanta, a Falcons season mostly devoid of joy hit a high note Sunday when the Saints lost. After leading all but the final five minutes of regulation, the Saints fell, 23-20 to the Los Angeles Rams in overtime in the NFC championship game at the Superdome.

What this means is the Rams are going to the Super Bowl — and as the key byproduct of this, the Saints are not. They won’t travel to Atlanta. They won’t play at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in two weeks. They won’t practice all week in the Falcons’ training facility in Flowery Branch.

The Falcons are relieved. The Falcons are laughing. The Falcons are happy.

Let’s start with the owner.

“I am smiling,” Arthur Blank said via text message. “It was a hard fought game, and the Saints’ fans made a big difference early on — but the Rams’ defense played strong from the 1st Q on…”

From there, Blank held his tongue (or his texting fingers) a bit.

When asked if he had dreaded the thought of the Saints practicing at his team’s facility, he responded, “We welcome the best teams — period.”

I texted, “Politically correct. Thanks.”

He responded, “Correct.”

I cannot confirm that a 76-year-old was sliding across a wood floor in his socks on the other end of the phone.

In the AFC championship game, New England (Atlanta fans’ second least-favorite team) defeated Kansas City 37-31 in overtime. Had the Chiefs won, Atlanta might’ve thrown a parade Monday.

Back to the Falcons-Saints thing. The negative feelings between the two franchises are real. That was never more evident than last month when it was confirmed the NFC champion would practice in Flowery Branch, and Falcons head coach Dan Quinn was asked about the possibility of the Saints being in his building. The question seemed to throw him for a loop, and as relayed by The Athletic’s Jason Butt, Quinn stumbled a bit in his response: “Whoever’s playing for the championship … this is the host … I guess I’m more disappointed that we won’t be playing and practicing at our site.”

He then suddenly ended the news conference, walking out of the room.

The Saints joyously mocked the Falcons for blowing a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl two years ago. In last season’s visit to New Orleans, a marching band spelled out, “28-3” during a halftime show. There also was repeated video board lampooning.

Return fire was expected Sunday. It may seem a bit juvenile for the official Twitter accounts of NFL franchises to be taking jabs at opponents, but welcome to the middle school world of “professional” social media departments.

The Falcons Tweeted, “Hey @RamsNFL” nice win,” with a winking emoji and a clip from a 1986 Rams’ music video, “Ram It.”

Carolina, another NFC South team, followed: “We are really, really (…) happy the @RamsNFL won.”

If we still lived in an adult world, Lombardi and Halas would be throwing down lightning bolts from the heavens.

Falcons players also threw shots in cyberspace. Running back Ito Smith Tweeted a string of laughing/crying emojis, then followed with a quick video of him dancing to Choppa Style (by Darwin “Choppa” Turner), which has been the unofficial soundtrack of this Saints’ season.

Carolina, another NFC South team, followed: “We are really, really (…) happy the @RamsNFL won.”

If we still lived in an adult world, Lombardi and Halas would be throwing down lightning bolts from the heavens.

Falcons players also threw shots in cyberspace. Running back Ito Smith Tweeted a string of laughing/crying emojis, then followed with a quick video of him dancing to Choppa Style (by Darwin “Choppa” Turner), which has been the unofficial soundtrack of this Saints’ season.

(The video posted by @ItoSmith has been removed.)

Jabs ranged from the spiritual (Mohamed Sanu) …

To the thankful for a blown non-interference call (Damontae Kazee) …

To the endorsing of the Rams (Brian Poole). (I had to consult Urban Dictionary: “No cap” translates to “Not lying.” I would be dead without Urban Dictionary.)

To the artistically creative (Matt Bryant):

And his wife (Melissa Bryant):

The Falcons didn’t make it to the playoffs, but their players, fans and owner were spared further misery.

12 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

In last season’s visit to New Orleans, a marching band spelled out, “28-3” during a halftime show.

I did not know that.

Flug the Aints and I hope they tank entirely for the next 28 years and 3 weeks.

Swamp rats

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite
ratesforless, tl;dr, mjqvi and 1 other like this

Honestly, I think this more has to do with the lack of class from the Saints organization in general. They have been taunting and trolling every team in the NFL. They trolled the Eagles after last week's win. I think it all starts with their head coach who is a very good head coach, but to quote Deuce Mcallister is "kind of a prick." I can guarantee you that very few teams in the NFL were sad to see the Saints lose.

It’s funny to think about Matt Bryant jumping up and down yelling at the tv.  Kinda awesome actually.  I wouldn’t have thought the players would’ve cared that much.  Maybe he was happy for the Rams’s Kicker(I sure was), or maybe he has our mentality of **** THE SAINTS!!!!

Tandy, JDaveG, NCFalconfan and 1 other like this

I wasn't going to get to caught up in adding insult to injury for the Saints fans, but after being reminded of all the troliing the Saints have done to the Falcons, I think I will allow myself to have a big "HA HA and Gueax Suck It" at the expense of Aints Nation. Maybe next year Suckas.

Edited by 4dabirds
Tandy and JDaveG like this

24 minutes ago, Mescalito said:

It’s funny to think about Matt Bryant jumping up and down yelling at the tv.  Kinda awesome actually.  I wouldn’t have thought the players would’ve cared that much.  Maybe he was happy for the Rams’s Kicker(I sure was), or maybe he has our mentality of **** THE SAINTS!!!!

Of course the players care that much most of them are fans first and foremost.... and when you have a rivalry like we do with the Saints it is very normal to feel excitement when they lose

JDaveG likes this

It is financially better for the city and the state. Just think of all those deep pockets Californian's who will be travelling to Atlanta to see their team play in the SB. All the entertainers, movie stars, athletes and the rich who have jumped on their band wagon. It is going to be some dollars made in this city no matter who played in the SB. But I feel the Rams followers are going to bring the bank!!

JDaveG, m2Falcons, papachaz and 1 other like this

I’ll be in the minority but I don’t like it.  Smile if they were beat soundly...but they were robbed.  That’s not right.   Let us fans be emotional and shallow.  You’re the owner.  And 28-3.  We can’t poke at anyone but ourselves.

Again, I’ll be the minority opinion hereby 

Edited by Falconsin2012

3 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’ll be in the minority but I don’t like it.  Smile if they were beat soundly...but they were robbed.  That’s not right.   Let us fans be emotional and shallow.  You’re the owner.  And 28-3.  We can’t poke at anyone but ourselves.

Nah. They had multiple chances even with the missed call. Not to mention the missed calls on the rams side too. And they deserved the payback for bounty gate, vicodin boy and their whole classless franchise 

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

yeah because they've never benefited from a missed call at all huh. I won't even get into whether they're purposely missed or not, but take that second game last year where they got all those calls. Funny how that came after their coach went on the news and whined and cried about them getting a lot penalties in the first game....

but sticking to that game yesterday, there were a LOT of blown/missed calls that went FOR them too

yeah, you're in the minority for sure. 

The Daywalker, shock and JDaveG like this

11 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Could have stopped them from getting into field goal range after, and they could have ended it after winning the coin toss in OT...

JDaveG likes this

15 minutes ago, FalconKick said:

Nah. They had multiple chances even with the missed call. Not to mention the missed calls on the rams side too. And they deserved the payback for bounty gate, vicodin boy and their whole classless franchise 

You’re not wrong. And there were missed calls on both sides. But if the roles were reversed and that happened to us in SB 51, you’d sing a different tune

Edited by Falconsin2012
falconsd56 likes this

1 hour ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Honestly, I think this more has to do with the lack of class from the Saints organization in general. They have been taunting and trolling every team in the NFL. They trolled the Eagles after last week's win. I think it all starts with their head coach who is a very good head coach, but to quote Deuce Mcallister is "kind of a prick." I can guarantee you that very few teams in the NFL were sad to see the Saints lose.

I remember the Vicodin popper giving the choke sign to us last year and mocking the Vikings fan salute. Karma, baby. **** him!

Vandy, JDaveG, m2Falcons and 3 others like this

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

You’re not wrong. And there were missed calls on both sides. But if the roles were reversed and that happened to us in SB 51, you’d sing a different tune

Perhaps, based on your user name, you remember the NFCCG from 2012 and the missed PI call at the end of the game. Same feeling the Saints fans have. They told us we should have done more and to stop crying. We're just over here enjoying every second of returning the favor.

m2Falcons, ratesforless and JDaveG like this