Gold4425

Has anyone heard if Marquand Manual has been hired?

36 posts in this topic

I'm surprised with all the job openings I haven't heard if our ex- DC has been hired. I know some on this Board want to nail him to the cross but in his defense we had a lot of crucial injuries on that side of the ball and the F O kept trying to put a bandage on a bleeding artery. Maybe he was a little over his head but I believe he was running DQ'S defense. It is not his fault that certain highly paid players didn't step up. That is why I feel he would make a great DB Coach for some team. Maybe a college coach.

Anyone heard anything about him?

On 1/21/2019 at 3:21 PM, Goober Pyle said:

That looks like posts from 2011.....not saying it's not true, though. Their DB coach just came to UGA.

Could be both (2011 and 2019).....as you probably know, MM played at UF. 

Flying Falcon likes this

On 1/21/2019 at 3:05 PM, ya_boi_j said:

He’s not a good coach. Might be a good connector amongst the players but he’s not a good coach 

Hard to tell, other than he definitely seemed in over his head. But he also was the fall guy, DQ should not get a pass for last year's poor play by the defense either. 

(I know you know that boi, I'm just venting). 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Hard to tell, other than he definitely seemed in over his head. But he also was the fall guy, DQ should not get a pass for last year's poor play by the defense either. 

It is very hard to tell because he was running Quinn's D. If he was indeed in over his head, that was on Quinn for promoting him before he was ready to be a DC.

Or if he failed because he was trying to run Quinn's D with half of the key players injured with little to no real input, you have to give him a pass for last season and keep him, at least as an assistant if he's amenable.

But they fire him and now Quinn is going to be DC. Manuel is almost the poster child for being rode hard and getting put away wet. Hope he lands on his feet and I'm sure he will.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

It is very hard to tell because he was running Quinn's D. If he was indeed in over his head, that was on Quinn for promoting him before he was ready to be a DC.

Or if he failed because he was trying to run Quinn's D with half of the key players injured with little to no real input, you have to give him a pass for last season and keep him, at least as an assistant if he's amenable.

But they fire him and now Quinn is going to be DC. Manuel is almost the poster child for being rode hard and getting put away wet. Hope he lands on his feet and I'm sure he will.

Agreed...and he will, he's well thought of in most coaching circles. 

But his overall body of work here as DC was not impressive, so he's got some career re-building work to do. 

PokerSteve likes this

Good luck to him, but yes he was terrible at scheming anybody. We definitely made the right move because nobody was going to run Quinn's defense better than Quinn himself!

citsalp and PokerSteve like this

1 minute ago, E. T. said:

Good luck to him, but yes he was terrible at scheming anybody. We definitely made the right move because nobody was going to run Quinn's defense better than Quinn himself!

Yes, eliminate the middle man! That's the way I save on my diamond purchases and the way I like my Falcon defense to be run! :lol:

E. T. likes this

On 1/21/2019 at 3:05 PM, ya_boi_j said:

He’s not a good coach. Might be a good connector amongst the players but he’s not a good coach 

I think that is a little unfair.  I think he was just promoted way too soon.  He's only been coaching 6-years total and went from an Assistant Secondary Coach to DC and calling plays in three years.  That is a really huge jump really fast.  When he was promoted all of the articles and buzz around him was that he was a hot young coordinator that would almost certainly be a head coach candidate in a few years.  Although he still obviously has a lot to learn, I still wouldn't write-off Manuel as a good coach yet after the cards he was dealt in only his second year calling a defense.   

20 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

I think that is a little unfair.  I think he was just promoted way too soon.  He's only been coaching 6-years total and went from an Assistant Secondary Coach to DC and calling plays in three years.  That is a really huge jump really fast.  When he was promoted all of the articles and buzz around him was that he was a hot young coordinator that would almost certainly be a head coach candidate in a few years.  Although he still obviously has a lot to learn, I still wouldn't write-off Manuel as a good coach yet after the cards he was dealt in only his second year calling a defense.   

Ah you mean the same as Sark in only his second year

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Quinn is full of **** as a head coach. Being a defensive guy he should have stepped in and made the right moves instead of waiting until it was too late to do so. Manuel is a good communicator and special teams guy but that doesn’t mean you can run a defense. He should have declined the promotion after Quinn fired his other buddy in Richard Smith who’s job he actually did step in and takeover

6 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Quinn is full of **** as a head coach. Being a defensive guy he should have stepped in and made the right moves instead of waiting until it was too late to do so. Manuel is a good communicator and special teams guy but that doesn’t mean you can run a defense. He should have declined the promotion after Quinn fired his other buddy in Richard Smith who’s job he actually did step in and takeover

Decline extra and more money? Who does that?:huh: Quinn never should have offered that money, but he did, as well as hired Sark.

ya_boi_j likes this

2 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Decline extra and more money? Who does that?:huh: Quinn never should have offered that money, but he did, as well as hired Sark.

Which leads me to believe the mindset is with the players they have, they feel they’ll find a way to figure it out. Just plug people in at every spot regardless of experience 

Flying Falcon likes this

10 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

That leaves me to wonder...

It's common to see an offensive HC call plays, and run the offense but how many defensive HC run and call their defense? They should do it more often.

Flying Falcon and ya_boi_j like this

13 minutes ago, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

That leaves me to wonder...

It's common to see an offensive HC call plays, and run the offense but how many defensive HC run and call their defense? They should do it more often.

I can’t really think of many. Bowles took over for a few weeks this past season but that’s all I remember

Flying Falcon likes this

29 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Ah you mean the same as Sark in only his second year

Sark had WAY more experience and had called plays previously (albeit college).

17 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

Sark had WAY more experience and had called plays previously (albeit college).

he had failures at the college level with zero professional experience

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

Yes, eliminate the middle man! That's the way I save on my diamond purchases and the way I like my Falcon defense to be run! :lol:

You own land in Uganda?

Vandy likes this

On 1/21/2019 at 2:02 PM, Gold4425 said:

I'm surprised with all the job openings I haven't heard if our ex- DC has been hired. I know some on this Board want to nail him to the cross but in his defense we had a lot of crucial injuries on that side of the ball and the F O kept trying to put a bandage on a bleeding artery. Maybe he was a little over his head but I believe he was running DQ'S defense. It is not his fault that certain highly paid players didn't step up. That is why I feel he would make a great DB Coach for some team. Maybe a college coach.

Anyone heard anything about him?

Who cares I'm glad his *** is gone!!!