Falconsin2012

My Takeaway From NFCCG

28 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, vel said:

To be honest, I wasn't. Teams constantly freaked out playing them when they just didn't need to. That offense was very limited: throw to Michael Thomas on a crossing route or dump to Kamara. Seriously. Over and over and over and over.....

The two of them accounted for 252 targets on the season. You know how many times Brees threw the ball? 489 times. That means 52% of his passes went to two players. The third most targeted player was Tre'Quan Smith, with 44 targets. Tevin Coleman was our fifth most targeted player and he had 44 targets. Yes, we threw the ball more often, but the top two most targeted for Atlanta were Julio and Sanu, who accounted for 43% of Matt's passes. 

It was and is a joke that DCs can't seem to scheme and defend an offense HEAVILY dependent upon two players, both of which rarely go beyond 10-15 yards down field. Between Thomas and Kamara, they had 2,114 yards on 206 catches. That's 10.3 yards per catch. Like seriously think about it. It was a bunch of window dressing to get Thomas or Kamara in space. There is a reason they tried to add washed up Dez and Brandon Marshall mid season, they had a shltty WR corps after Thomas and teams didn't do enough to make them pay for it. 

You see the Rams made a concentrated effort to double Thomas and what happened? 4 catches 36 yards. Yes, Kamara still caught some balls, but outside of Joyner misjudging that bomb, no WR did anything. 

Without much cap space and only 1 pick in the first four rounds, if the Falcons can't take back the NFC South in 2019, it will be disappointing. Especially with Brees getting older. You can see he can't throw deep anymore, which made it even more frustrating that teams didn't dare him to do it consistently. They turned him into Alex Smith while teams we're thinking they were playing Mahomes. 

Yeah, Brees arm is shot, New Orleans window is next season and after that if they don't get a top QB, they're done for. What's scary is that New Orleans was gonna draft Mahomes but the Chiefs scooped him up before their pick. Payton & Mahomes would've terrorized the NFC South for another decade.

Dutty Ole Bird and vel like this

2 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Yeah, Brees arm is shot, New Orleans window is next season and after that if they don't get a top QB, they're done for. What's scary is that New Orleans was gonna draft Mahomes but the Chiefs scooped him up before their pick. Payton & Mahomes would've terrorized the NFC South for another decade.

Mahomes in New Orleans would have broken records for a long time. People think the Packers going from Favre to Rodgers was crazy, Brees to Mahomes would have changed the entire NFL forever. 

They may lose Ingram. They need WR help. They still have no threatening TE. Brees counts $33MM towards the cap. Unless they give him a new contract, that's it since his contract voids after next year. They planned it perfectly to win it all this year. I gotta give it to them. But it fell short and now... :ninja:

MilleniumFalcon likes this

49 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Become a casual Seahawks fan with her.  Makes it so much fun 

Lol no way, I've got 20+ years invested in the falcons, and she only watches when they win. I try to watch them with her every once in a while but I don't care for PC.