FalconsIn2020

My Takeaway From NFCCG

28 posts in this topic

2019 is already a good year.  I was left unimpressed with either the Saints or Rams.  Our roster, when healthy, is every bit as good or better.  With Quinn calling the defense and a recommitment to run the football, it could be a special year for the Falcons.  We need to address OT in FA, use the draft for OG and DT and LETS GO!!!!

**** ‘EM, ITS OUR TIME!!!!

I hate the Saints but I wouldn’t count them out necessarily.

Their OL is stout, and we have to also be able to run the ball with authority against them. Trenches trenches trenches. 

I'm just glad I can once again watch espn, nfl network, and listen to espn radio... I was so sick of hearing the Saints on those network....    

~~Cap guys how the Aints looking with the 2019 salary cap this season~~  no 1st 3rd or 4th picks.  Hopefully no free agent signings either.   Lmao!!!     

7 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I'm glad they lost, but if you weren't impressed with the Saints this season...you're very hard to impress. 

I mean that we can beat them.  

Saints need to draft a QB.  Brees arm is toast

Osiruz and octoslash like this

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

I mean that we can beat them.  

Saints need to draft a QB.  Brees arm is toast

Oh you're right...I was just saying, they were a machine all year...until about 5 o'clock yesterday.  :)

papachaz likes this

9 minutes ago, falconfanEST1989 said:

I'm just glad I can once again watch espn, nfl network, and listen to espn radio... I was so sick of hearing the Saints on those network....    

~~Cap guys how the Aints looking with the 2019 salary cap this season~~  no 1st 3rd or 4th picks.  Hopefully no free agent signings either.   Lmao!!!     

They have 11mil of cap space, but will have to extend Kamara and Thomas soon with huge deals. 4 of their 5 highest paid players beyond Brees are on the OL (smart). Their D is somewhat young and will be good for awhile. 

14 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Oh you're right...I was just saying, they were a machine all year...until about 5 o'clock yesterday.  :)

They were machine up until the Thanksgiving Falcons game. After that, they had games where they only put up 10, 12, and 14 points. They also struggled against the Eagles. Teams started figuring them out.

The Saints are such a streaky team.  Same thing last year where they won 8 games in a row, I think they won 10 games in a row this year.  They have a great mix of stars, role players and serviceable pieces.  Rankins and Jordan were beast this year, they do still have a good DL rotation with Onyemata, Davidson and the 1st round pick Davenport.  Their OL features 2 bookends OTs and a good C in Unger.  The 2 guards are good as well.  What they didn't do is go and spend 30 million a year on WRs.  They have a great offense and outside the OL and QB, they don't have a lot of money invested into it.  They find playmakes like Tommy Lee Lewis, C. Kirkwood, T. Hill, etc.  They don't spend big dollars on them. 

Defense they have a little more invested but they build the D over time.  Larrimore, M. Smith A. Anzalone, Rankins, Onyemata....all drafted.  They also just find ways to feature their stars on offense regardless of what kind of defense they are playing.  They can scheme Kamara into 10 catches no matter what the coverage is.  They can spread the field and get M. Thomas the ball, Brees doesn't care who is open, he threw 4 TDs to 4 undrafted players in 1 game.

I would love to see us be able to be a good offense without the big names and contracts.  Seattle was like that years ago and still now to an extent.  You had Beastmode and Russ but D. Baldwin, J. Kearse, majority of OL were all no name guys when they went to 2 superbowls.  Yes I see that the 4 best Offensive teams were left but they were also some of the sack, turnover margin, run defense leaders as well. Saints are impressive but its mainly because of D. Brees and S. Payton and an opportunistic defense.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

10 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

They were machine up until the Thanksgiving Falcons game. After that, they had games where they only put up 10, 12, and 14 points. They also struggled against the Eagles. Teams started figuring them out.

We did it!!! WE BROKE THEM!!!

papachaz likes this

1 minute ago, tl;dr said:

We did it!!! WE BROKE THEM!!!

The Cowboys had a great gameplan against them and more teams emulated what the Cowboys did.

34 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Their offense wasn’t great to end the season

50 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I'm glad they lost, but if you weren't impressed with the Saints this season...you're very hard to impress. 

They were impressive through about week 10. After that, they were just good but not great. Rams were the better team. Had it not been played in NO I don't think the Saints would have even made it a game. 

I did notice some things we complain about happened to other teams as well.  Passes dropped, QB pressure, run for loss, stupid penalties, and poor communication.  Could it be our Falcons are not as bad as we think? 

The New England receivers made Tom Brady look good with some incredible catches, but I think next year we take 'em.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

First of all I love that avatar, you should keep it.

Absolutely agree about being recommitted to the run game. I really think Jonah Williams is the most complete and starter worthy OT in this draft class and we should trade up and go get him if needed be. We can fill DT with either Suh or McCoy in FA, and guard with either Spain or Saffold. 

FalconsIn2020 and vel like this

1 hour ago, CTann said:

I hate the Saints but I wouldn’t count them out necessarily.

Their OL is stout, and we have to also be able to run the ball with authority against them. Trenches trenches trenches. 

Yeah they have a top 2 OL, the best OL is in New England. 

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

To be honest, I wasn't. Teams constantly freaked out playing them when they just didn't need to. That offense was very limited: throw to Michael Thomas on a crossing route or dump to Kamara. Seriously. Over and over and over and over.....

The two of them accounted for 252 targets on the season. You know how many times Brees threw the ball? 489 times. That means 52% of his passes went to two players. The third most targeted player was Tre'Quan Smith, with 44 targets. Tevin Coleman was our fifth most targeted player and he had 44 targets. Yes, we threw the ball more often, but the top two most targeted for Atlanta were Julio and Sanu, who accounted for 43% of Matt's passes. 

It was and is a joke that DCs can't seem to scheme and defend an offense HEAVILY dependent upon two players, both of which rarely go beyond 10-15 yards down field. Between Thomas and Kamara, they had 2,114 yards on 206 catches. That's 10.3 yards per catch. Like seriously think about it. It was a bunch of window dressing to get Thomas or Kamara in space. There is a reason they tried to add washed up Dez and Brandon Marshall mid season, they had a shltty WR corps after Thomas and teams didn't do enough to make them pay for it. 

You see the Rams made a concentrated effort to double Thomas and what happened? 4 catches 36 yards. Yes, Kamara still caught some balls, but outside of Joyner misjudging that bomb, no WR did anything. 

Without much cap space and only 1 pick in the first four rounds, if the Falcons can't take back the NFC South in 2019, it will be disappointing. Especially with Brees getting older. You can see he can't throw deep anymore, which made it even more frustrating that teams didn't dare him to do it consistently. They turned him into Alex Smith while teams we're thinking they were playing Mahomes. 

1 hour ago, osiruz said:

First of all I love that avatar, you should keep it.

Absolutely agree about being recommitred to the run game. I really think Jonah Williams is the most complete and starter worthy OT in this draft class and we should trade up and go get him if needed be. We can fill DT with either Suh or McCoy in FA, and guard with either Spain or Saffold. 

My wife tinkers with the avatar, not me.  I suspect she will change it.  I prefer the one of us together, but nobody wants to see my ugly scruff

As usual, spot on with your analysis.  But I wouldn’t trade up.  Love your takes, bro

Edited by Falconsin2012
Osiruz likes this

6 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

My wife tinkers with the avatar, not me.  I suspect she will change it.  I prefer the one of us together, but nobody wants to see my ugly scruff

As usual, spot on with your analysis.  But I wouldn’t trade up.  Love your takes, bro

Lol explains why you have a different avatar every 2 days. My wife tries to mess with my avatar and my posts and really hates afmb, but I don't let my phone near her. Only reason I would trade up is because tackles have gotten really expensive and I am not sure about the crop of FA tackles besides 2-3 players who are up there in age.

4 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Lol explains why you have a different avatar every 2 days. My wife tries to mess with my avatar and my posts and really hates afmb, but I don't let my phone near her. Only reason I would trade up is because tackles have gotten really expensive and I am not sure about the crop of FA tackles besides 2-3 players who are up there in age.

Stormy is on here all the time.  If she could turn it into NFL Facebook she would.  She even crushes on Vandy when he gets upset...lol .  But she loves the Falcons and is a Dirty Bird :ninja:...pun intended

Osiruz likes this

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Stormy is on here all the time.  If she could turn it into NFL Facebook she would.  She even crushes on Vandy when he gets upset...lol .  But she loves the Falcons and is a Dirty Bird :ninja:...pun intended

That's pretty awesome...you got lucky, my wife is a casual seahawk fan :(

1 minute ago, osiruz said:

That's pretty awesome...you got lucky, my wife is a casual seahawk fan :(

Become a casual Seahawks fan with her.  Makes it so much fun 

Osiruz likes this