Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SacFalcFan

Offseason thread 2019

101 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

I need to try that recipe out.. my wife loves the buffalo chicken lettuce wraps.. it's so easy for me to make and she just loves it..  Thanks man.. I appreciate your post you put in here.  I learned a lot from it and am getting more confident in cooking.  I am averaging 2 to 2.5 lbs per week of weight loss which i think is pretty good.  Congrats on your wife losing weight.  My wife is losing weight as well, but it's all about exercising for her and not eating.. she isn't doing it healthy and that's a concern. 

Weight loss is 90-95% intake... If she doesn't account for that, the exercise loss is typically not sustainable. Good luck though. Women be stubborn. :lol: Took me a long time to help my wife understand that.

Congrats on the kitchen confidence bud! One of those things that once you start doing it, you realize, it's mostly trial and error, and errors are rarely that bad. My biggest issue is time/energy to cook after work, so I try and do quick/easy during the week, and something more complex on the weekends as a fun "project".

SacFalcFan and AutumnEffect like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Weight loss is 90-95% intake... If she doesn't account for that, the exercise loss is typically not sustainable. Good luck though.

 

100% this.

There are plenty of scholarly types who have gone one twinkie diets and lost weight to prove a point. It's calories in vs calories out. And your body will push you toward homeostasis (no change), even if you are eating healthy foods and exercising.

The easiest formula to success is to eat things that don't suck and track intake vs your total daily energy expenditure. There are plenty of TDEE calculators out there.

A lot of folks have success with low carb diets because carbs are something you can typically eat freely that don't make you feel full. And your body craves them (we haven't adapted at all since we stopped scavenging thousands of years ago). The three things that affect satiety the most are water, fiber, and protein. So maximizing for those things and limiting everything else is a good move.

Edited by AutumnEffect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Weight loss is 90-95% intake... If she doesn't account for that, the exercise loss is typically not sustainable. Good luck though. Women be stubborn. :lol: Took me a long time to help my wife understand that.

Congrats on the kitchen confidence bud! One of those things that once you start doing it, you realize, it's mostly trial and error, and errors are rarely that bad. My biggest issue is time/energy to cook after work, so I try and do quick/easy during the week, and something more complex on the weekends as a fun "project".

so very true..  women are stubborn?  LOLOL.. no way.. hahaha  I won't be able to help my wife understand it, she knows everything.  she is an all knowing oracle so she will have to learn the hard way.  

yep that's been my problem with a lot of the gnom gnom recipes.  first getting the right stuff for it can be expensive and second the time to do some of them is a lot more than i have.. going to school fulltime and work along with trying to stay on this eating plan takes a lot of time in the day.  i am going to try and do banana bread tomorrow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SacFalcFan said:

so very true..  women are stubborn?  LOLOL.. no way.. hahaha  I won't be able to help my wife understand it, she knows everything.  she is an all knowing oracle so she will have to learn the hard way.  

yep that's been my problem with a lot of the gnom gnom recipes.  first getting the right stuff for it can be expensive and second the time to do some of them is a lot more than i have.. going to school fulltime and work along with trying to stay on this eating plan takes a lot of time in the day.  i am going to try and do banana bread tomorrow.  

I'm one of the fortunate few who has a wife who has learned that it's largely futile to argue with me over anything that can be answered with facts. I of course lose all battles on opinion, but if facts are available, she doesn't even bother anymore. I've won more "coca-cola" bets than I can count, at this point if I ask her how much she wants to bet, she just concedes. :lol:

+1 on the expensive aspect of keto/low carb. Too much "stuff" to buy sometimes. Key is figuring out what is "required" and what is just "nice to have". A lot of times, you can use one of 40 different types of sweeteners, and it might change the texture/flavor/consistency a bit, but unless I know I'm going to use a lot of something, I'm not going to purpose buy another sweetener. I keep an eye out at the grocery store for what goes on sale/clearance. The other day, Publix had a clearance on Swerve, so picked up a couple of bags at 1/3 the normal price. Same thing for some liquid sweetener drops that had a coconut flavor that can be used in mug cakes (or icing for said mug cakes).

Totally understand the difficulties on the time side. My biggest recommendation is to try and do a protein that can be served a couple of ways and do a mildly seasoned larger batch on the weekend, then you can do individual dishes with the pre-cooked protein for a lot of things.

Examples for me:

shredded pork - instead of going full season in a crockpot, just do some simple versatile seasonings - salt, pepper, little acid, and maybe something herbaceous like oregano. Then during the week, one day you could do riced cauliflower and serve it like a bowl of grits/rice with pork on top and make a latin seasoned butter sauce or something to go over it. Another day, could make a straight up BBQ sandwich and use the pork on some mug bread. Another day toss some on a spinach salad or eat it with a cole slaw. Pretty versatile to say the least, and doesn't lose anything by sitting typically (can be re-crisped so that it's not too mushy under the broiler on a sheet tray - bonus points if you keep the cooking liquid and spoon some of the fat/gelatin back over the top before.)

chicken breasts - once the weather gets a little better, always nice to be able to toss several chicken breasts on the grill - can use one marinade on all, or make a couple and just keep them identified as to which is which (asian, spicy, mexican, italian, simple S&P, etc). Whichever one you're eating that night can cook a little longer, but for the rest, don't hesitate to pull off the grill just a little early since you'll be microwaving or tossing back in the oven or a hot pan at some point either way. Same concept... bowls, sandwich, sliced with veg, salad... tons of options.

 

These are the 2 I do the most when I know it will be a busy week. Casseroles are good as well if you don't mind eating on the same thing for a few days (think I linked to a chicken/broccoli bake that I LOVE - don't miss the rice at all). My wife just isn't big on tons of leftovers, so have to be creative on re-using proteins.

 

I try and save seafood for during the week, prep it on the weekend if needed, then make that a Monday/Tuesday dinner when possible, since it typically cooks up really quickly. 

 

Lastly, I'm about to try a few new things as potato substitutes. I've heard radishes when boiled come out a lot like a peppery potato but low carb. Additionally, latin root vegetable you may have heard of - jicama - can make for some really tasty seasoned fries in the oven (or air fryer) if you're looking to satisfy that kind of food itch. Will let you know how those go. Really want to make some seafood chowder or something that is keto friendly if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unrelated to the above, are there any fishing fans here on the board? I've been mostly fly fishing for the last 5 years or so. I grew up fishing with spinning rigs. I've now picked up a baitcaster due to a great sale but I can't seem to cast it worth a carp... (SWIDT :lol:)

If anyone has any helpful tips/tricks, I'd be open to advice. I'm trying to figure out whether I need to add more weight to the line to get it to throw, or if it's something else, but currently I've just got a little weighted hook for panfish and a curly tailed grub lure on it and can't get it to go very far at all (maybe 15-20 feet tops). Not looking to chuck it a mile, but would think 50-60 feet should be reasonably doable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Unrelated to the above, are there any fishing fans here on the board? I've been mostly fly fishing for the last 5 years or so. I grew up fishing with spinning rigs. I've now picked up a baitcaster due to a great sale but I can't seem to cast it worth a carp... (SWIDT :lol:)

If anyone has any helpful tips/tricks, I'd be open to advice. I'm trying to figure out whether I need to add more weight to the line to get it to throw, or if it's something else, but currently I've just got a little weighted hook for panfish and a curly tailed grub lure on it and can't get it to go very far at all (maybe 15-20 feet tops). Not looking to chuck it a mile, but would think 50-60 feet should be reasonably doable.

Too light.  There are some baitcasters that will allow you to throw lighter applications, but most are better suited throwing heavier baits.  

What reel did you go with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Also probably need to adjust the braking system and play with the spool tension.  Too little tension and you will get plenty of overruns. 

*** I'm a bit of a baitcaster junkie.  Have about 7 currently...Shimano's and Daiwa's.

Edited by Turkeydawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

Too light.  There are some baitcasters that will allow you to throw lighter applications, but most are better suited throwing heavier baits.  

What reel did you go with?

Picked up the deal at Academy a few weeks ago. Abu Garcia Revo X with the All-Star Nano II. (7' Medium/Fast rod)

I ended up adding a piece of split-shot to up the weight and playing with the knobs a bit and started getting about 40-50 foot casts, so it's getting better for sure. Will be a learning experience for a while I'm sure. I put on super cheap mono for now, with the expectation that I'll likely get a few nests that I can't untangle (and/or don't want to bother with). Once I get a little more proficient, I'll decide if I want to stay mono, move to braid, or check out this Yo-Zuri hybrid stuff that a lot of people seem to like.

Not sure what the heck I hooked this afternoon, but it pulled like a **** truck, bent my rod down like crazy and eventually broke my crappy walmart hook (came out of a "panfish kit"). I would have figured I hooked a log or tire, except it seemed to be actively moving side to side. Good ole curly tail grubs...

 

Quote

*** I'm a bit of a baitcaster junkie.  Have about 7 currently...Shimano's and Daiwa's.

If you're in the Atlanta area and want to take on an apprentice, would appreciate the chance to learn anything I can. :) Schedules are tricky with work and a kiddo, but my daughter actually wants to try her hand at fishing too, so makes it easier to convince the wife.

Edited by fibonaccisquared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I would stick with mono...or fluorocarbon if you are fishing clear water.  Braid is great, unless you get hung up.  If you do and you get to pulling the line, the braid will dig in and be a nightmare.  Other issue with braid is that there is no give when setting the hook, so if you are going to use it, you might want to use a flouro leader, especially if worn fishing.

As for fishing locally, I could probably make it happen at some point.  I've got two playing sports and turkey season upcoming, so it's gonna be tight.  Might be able to swing something this summer.  If I am fishing around Atlanta, it's neighborhood ponds.

fibonaccisquared and Wardog357 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 8:24 PM, Turkeydawg said:

I think I would stick with mono...or fluorocarbon if you are fishing clear water.  Braid is great, unless you get hung up.  If you do and you get to pulling the line, the braid will dig in and be a nightmare.  Other issue with braid is that there is no give when setting the hook, so if you are going to use it, you might want to use a flouro leader, especially if worn fishing.

As for fishing locally, I could probably make it happen at some point.  I've got two playing sports and turkey season upcoming, so it's gonna be tight.  Might be able to swing something this summer.  If I am fishing around Atlanta, it's neighborhood ponds.

No pressure, but as it warms up, if you have time, just let me know.

Casting getting a little better. I definitely think it was primarily a weight issue, but still not great. Having a hard time getting the timing/aim down with it relative to a traditional spinning rig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@SacFalcFan - Made a lower carb Shepherd's Pie last night that was solid. Used mashed rutabaga as the top, and then modified the Disney Raglan Road recipe for the meat layer. It's higher in net carbs than cauliflower but a nice change for my wife and great flavor. Frankly, I'm not a mashed potato fan, but the rutabaga was delicious.

http://acalculatedwhisk.com/shepherds-pie-with-rutabaga/ (used just the mashed rutabaga from here)

http://wdwfacts.blogspot.com/2010/03/raglan-roads-shepherds-pie-recipe.html

Raglan Road Shepherds pie (not keto by itself, but you can tweak easily)

 

Also, made this mug cake the other day:

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/keto-vanilla-berry-mug-cake/

I made it with strawberries instead fo raspberries, just cored them and sliced into 6 wedges. placed a few in the cake, then a couple more on top. I made a cream cheese icing at my wife's request, but if I did it again, would just do whipped cream topping.

Edited by fibonaccisquared
AutumnEffect and SacFalcFan like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

No pressure, but as it warms up, if you have time, just let me know.

Casting getting a little better. I definitely think it was primarily a weight issue, but still not great. Having a hard time getting the timing/aim down with it relative to a traditional spinning rig.

Once you get it down, you will be much more accurate than with a spinning reel.

fibonaccisquared and 95Dawg like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 0:26 PM, fibonaccisquared said:

@SacFalcFan - Made a lower carb Shepherd's Pie last night that was solid. Used mashed rutabaga as the top, and then modified the Disney Raglan Road recipe for the meat layer. It's higher in net carbs than cauliflower but a nice change for my wife and great flavor. Frankly, I'm not a mashed potato fan, but the rutabaga was delicious.

http://acalculatedwhisk.com/shepherds-pie-with-rutabaga/ (used just the mashed rutabaga from here)

http://wdwfacts.blogspot.com/2010/03/raglan-roads-shepherds-pie-recipe.html

Raglan Road Shepherds pie (not keto by itself, but you can tweak easily)

 

Also, made this mug cake the other day:

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/keto-vanilla-berry-mug-cake/

I made it with strawberries instead fo raspberries, just cored them and sliced into 6 wedges. placed a few in the cake, then a couple more on top. I made a cream cheese icing at my wife's request, but if I did it again, would just do whipped cream topping.

wow thanks man for all of the information above.  I am going to try that mug cake.  I have never thought of a lower car shepherd's pie.. that sounds awesome..   so i am almost at 70 lbs loss right now.  I am now looking at focusing on loose skin.  i am considering rebounding for that and for other benefits (like helping the lymphatic system)..  Are you familiar to this?  Here is a buying guy I found.. 

https://www.needak.com/rebounder-buying-guide  I need to be careful $$$ wise when it comes to this purchase, but don't want to be too cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

wow thanks man for all of the information above.  I am going to try that mug cake.  I have never thought of a lower car shepherd's pie.. that sounds awesome..   so i am almost at 70 lbs loss right now.  I am now looking at focusing on loose skin.  i am considering rebounding for that and for other benefits (like helping the lymphatic system)..  Are you familiar to this?  Here is a buying guy I found.. 

https://www.needak.com/rebounder-buying-guide  I need to be careful $$$ wise when it comes to this purchase, but don't want to be too cheap. 

Congrats on the continued success buddy! I don't know anything about rebounding personally... I wouldn't overspend on it for sure, as the general consensus seems to be on loose skin that it's entirely dependent on the individual... Some people are able to have success, others are not and have to go the route of surgery.

I'd be cautious of going based on that guide, as it's obviously put out by one of the manufacturers. :lol: Frankly, the comments about them are a little suspicious in general from most of the "reviews"... I'd take a look on Amazon, keep a rough ceiling of about $150 as the most I'd spend, and start working my way up from the bottom. Look for reviews not done by "overly commercial" outlets... Youtube videos are helpful here.

Anything that looks super well produced is likely also funded by a specific company in most cases... So as always, take what you read/see on the internet with a grain of salt. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2019 at 3:15 PM, fibonaccisquared said:

Congrats on the continued success buddy! I don't know anything about rebounding personally... I wouldn't overspend on it for sure, as the general consensus seems to be on loose skin that it's entirely dependent on the individual... Some people are able to have success, others are not and have to go the route of surgery.

I'd be cautious of going based on that guide, as it's obviously put out by one of the manufacturers. :lol: Frankly, the comments about them are a little suspicious in general from most of the "reviews"... I'd take a look on Amazon, keep a rough ceiling of about $150 as the most I'd spend, and start working my way up from the bottom. Look for reviews not done by "overly commercial" outlets... Youtube videos are helpful here.

Anything that looks super well produced is likely also funded by a specific company in most cases... So as always, take what you read/see on the internet with a grain of salt. :) 

thanks man..  I have to keep it up though.  I got 90 lbs to go to get to my goal.  yeah i think losing 160 lbs will mean i have to have some surgery at some point, but i would like to push it off if at all possible.  so i am doing what i can now with collagen peptides and working out with weights to help.  rebounding though is believed to help that out, but as you said want to be careful with what i am spending.  yeah that is definitely from the vendor so i took it with a grain of salt, but it gives me the leading competitors and a list of their stuff.. i found this on shopify.. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1051/8304/files/Buying_Tips_for_Your_Rebounder_-_RebounderZone.pdf  right now i am down to jumpsport or needak with urban rebounder if i want to be real cheap.. the problem though is this is about being safe and with my back and knees and ankles i got to be careful not to go too cheap.  :)  

so on monday i am starting a 21 day keto program.  i am doing a 48 hour fast starting next monday.  i got me some pickle juice. :)  lol  thanks for the encouragement and information.. anything i learn helps me a ton.  i saw some pictures of myself last july..  the change is so freaking drastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

lol  thanks for the encouragement and information..

We all need it at some point for something... The internet can be such a **** miserable place sometimes. It's nice that this place stays *mostly* troll free. :) 

And definitely hear you on the safety. I generally like to base my thoughts on what I see in videos... Comments aside, watch someone roughly your build get on one and actively use it... If it looks like it'll work and it's in the budget, that's probably what I'd pick. Seems to me that a rebounder with a hand grip/rail of some kind would be preferable from a safety/reliability standpoint, but really just don't know enough to tell you one way or the other. 

If the video isn't hyper professional looking, even better, because it likely means they aren't getting paid to show it off (and/or using a doctored/non-standard unit).

 

I've got some pickled watermelon rind that you can have the juice from if you want... it is, shall we say... potent! :lol: They're interesting flavor pickles. I think in the future, I will leave out the cloves, no matter what the internet recipes say.

SacFalcFan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could the Athens Police just give a Certificate of Achievement to the 20-30 UGA football players that don’t smoke and leave the rest alone?

I don’t know exact percentages but as good a guess as any is probably 30-40% of college players smoke but our local cops are determined to arrest all of ours while BAMA, AU, UT and UF get a stern “talking to” by the coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either way, these kids are idiots.   Not that weed is a big deal, but they know the consequences if they get caught.  With the depth that is being built, one slip up and you might be handing the starting job to your backup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 1:01 PM, Turkeydawg said:

Dang.  Doing butter coffee and mct also?

i can't drink coffee.. i do bulletproof cocoa.  yes mct for sure and coconut oil.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

i can't drink coffee.. i do bulletproof cocoa.  yes mct for sure and coconut oil.  

I'm a big fan butter and mct coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I'm a big fan butter and mct coffee.

I can't do coffee.. it really hurts me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 4:19 PM, fibonaccisquared said:

We all need it at some point for something... The internet can be such a **** miserable place sometimes. It's nice that this place stays *mostly* troll free. :) 

And definitely hear you on the safety. I generally like to base my thoughts on what I see in videos... Comments aside, watch someone roughly your build get on one and actively use it... If it looks like it'll work and it's in the budget, that's probably what I'd pick. Seems to me that a rebounder with a hand grip/rail of some kind would be preferable from a safety/reliability standpoint, but really just don't know enough to tell you one way or the other. 

If the video isn't hyper professional looking, even better, because it likely means they aren't getting paid to show it off (and/or using a doctored/non-standard unit).

 

I've got some pickled watermelon rind that you can have the juice from if you want... it is, shall we say... potent! :lol: They're interesting flavor pickles. I think in the future, I will leave out the cloves, no matter what the internet recipes say.

Hey man an update.  I am drinking pickle juice and some snake juice.  I am doing 16/8 or 18/6 daily now.  I am going to do a 3 day fast this weekend.  :)  I am down to 75 lbs loss.  One thing I started on monday are HIIT workouts.  OMG it was tough, but I did better than I expected.  Hey you have any new recipes by chance?  :)  I am always interested in seeing what stuff you find. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 7:24 PM, Turkeydawg said:

Braid is great, unless you get hung up.  If you do and you get to pulling the line, the braid will dig in and be a nightmare. 

That was the main reason I quit using braid. Not forgiving at all when this happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So an update:  I am down 93 lbs.  I am changing from net carbs to total carbs because i have been on a plateau for a few months and since am now down 3 lbs since the change.  I am going to try carnivoure a few days a week as well.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0