Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SacFalcFan

Offseason thread 2019

67 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2019 at 7:41 PM, Billy Ocean said:

The Mediterranean diet is probably the only restrictive diet I could ever adopt. The keto diet sounds a lot like the Atkins diet from last decade.

Today (Monday) my diet has included but not been limited to: strawberries, black berries, blueberries, pineapple, sweet potato, bread, rice and various other items that probably aren't considered keto friendly.

I just eat a balanced diet from all the food groups in reasonable portion sizes. For protein I eat mostly chicken and seafood and try to eat red meat no more than two times a week.

I haven't looked into the Mediterranean diet but will do so. "Slow Carb" has generally been a meal plan that I've been a fan of. I don't need to lose weight, but I don't want to eat like a pig either... so try to monitor how much refined carbs I take in. As to what you ate, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries are actually all pretty decent, low sugar content/glycemic index per serving - at least relatively for fruit and can be had on keto in smaller quantities. Pineapples are pretty high I think. Would imagine sweet potato is as well, but not as bad as white potatoes either. Bread (whole grain) and rice (brown) are not keto friendly but are slow carb friendly in moderation...

On 1/21/2019 at 10:15 PM, SacFalcFan said:

For those who are on keto please post your best sites, apps, recipes you have found online, anything keto that can help each other out.. just have one post where you keep updating stuff..   

Been helping my wife for a while with this. I can't stay on keto for very long or I literally waste away (I almost always drop like 10-15 pounds the first month and I'm only 155-160ish as it stands), but about to go back on for a cycle soon so will be following along.

Some favorites (trying to pick a few different sites, as they have more than one good recipe):

https://lowcarbyum.com/summer-squash-taco-casserole/
https://lowcarbyum.com/chicken-broccoli-casserole/ (too good to not also share)

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/low-carb-keto-chicken-salad-avocado/

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-frittata-fresh-spinach (this one is nice because you can do it on the weekend and then portion out breakfast for a few days)

http://uplateanyway.com/keto/copycat-paula-deen-sugar-free-bbq-sauce/ (because my wife isn't a fan of vinegar sauce...)

If you do like vinegar sauces, try one of these:
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/low-carb-vinegar-based-bbq-sauce-for-pulled-pork/21524
https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/carolina-bbq-sauce-for-pulled-pork/

https://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/buffalo-chicken-lettuce-wraps/ (big fan of this one because it's easy... you can play with it as well... switch up flavors and do mexican with some salsa and black beans... on the buffalo I also dice up some celery really small and sometimes bacon if I had left over)

This dude has great videos and recipes - particularly if you like Indian food (though he does other things):

https://headbangerskitchen.com/recipe/keto-butter-chicken-2/ (direct website and video below for alternate recipe)

Another easy one isn't really a recipe so much as just picking a recipe that you like and then adding zucchini. We went to Italy a few years ago and came back with a Bolognese recipe that we love making. It's pretty low in carbs so pairing that up with zoodles or even just small half medallion sized sauteed zucchini works well. This works fine with any meat heavy "sauce".  If you start getting sick of zoodles, these things look incredible but haven't tried them yet:

https://www.gnom-gnom.com/grain-free-keto-pasta/

Easy companion recipe with them if you like mushrooms: https://www.gnom-gnom.com/gluten-free-keto-mushroom-pasta/

I need to see what the carb breakdown is on my crockpot carnitas that I've done forever... there's OJ, beer and salsa among other things that go in, but it's really just braising/cooking liquid... can't imagine that it's that much per serving once shredded and drained but will try to see if I can find out ... did some quick research looks like 4-5g of carbs total. Could be even less if you opted for something like broth instead of beer, but really no big need either... 

This isn't my exact recipe... don't have my book handy and it's been a bit, but pulled a couple of sites online quickly and tweaked from memory. I almost always do a 8+ pounder because I have a giant crockpot and this freezes well, but this is a good starting point at least.

Crock Pot Carnitas

• 4-5 lbs. pork shoulder
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon paprika (bourbon smoked is my preference here)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3-5 whole chipotles (come in can)
  • juice of 2 limes
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 12 ounces beer (any beer will do... I usually go lager/not too hoppy pale ale)
  • 1/2 cup salsa (not terribly important what kind here... good flavor, not too chunky ideally)
  1. Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker. Roughly chop the garlic and place in the slow cooker (I actually kind of rubbed it onto the meat to get as much garlic flavor as possible, but you could just toss it in, too).
  2. Sprinkle the meat with salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne. Rub seasonings onto the pork.
  3. Add lime juice, orange juice, beer, and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
  4. Shred meat with two forks directly in the slow cooker (or take out, shred, and replace in sauce). It should fall apart easily.
  5. Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the shredded meat on the cooking sheet and pour a few spoonfuls of sauce over the top. Broil for 5-10 minutes or until you get browned edges on the pork.

Serve with chopped cilantro, sour cream, salsa of your choice, onions... whatever works and fits into your macros for the day. Can go on lettuce wrap, on top of a salad, stuffed in mushroom or pepper... super versatile

Generally speaking, crockpot meats are a hit for me as it allows me to focus on either all prep, or making one "dish" without having to cook protein separately or do too many stages on any one meal.

Also... speaking of stuffed mushrooms and peppers:

https://joyfilledeats.com/tuscan-stuffed-mushrooms/
https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/grilled-portobellos-stuffed-with-curried-spinach/
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a54559/taco-tomatoes-recipe/

These are just ideas, but stuffed vegetables is a great way to create a "vessel" that can be difficult with low carb/keto meals. Haven't tried them yet, but just saw a keto "enchilada" done with cabbage leaves as well... similar concept.

Eating out:

Never shy away from bringing your own lettuce to a taqueria and enjoying a break from cooking as well.. typically most taco "fillings" will be on the lower carb side of things unless you're getting fried breaded protein, so this has worked well for my wife also.

Sort of random... We have a little burger/breakfast spot near us that does a weekly special sometimes that is a smoked meatloaf. (side note: if you can figure out the binder, this is a great addition if you have an egg/smoker/etc) They charge say 9-10 bucks for the sandwich with the meatloaf... Alternatively though, they only charge $2/slice of meatloaf as they ring it up as "extra meat"... We will go and get lunch there, then buy 4-6 slices of meatloaf (each slice is about a half pound or so if I had to guesstimate) to go and it makes for a really cheap protein for a few subsequent meals (keep in mind that meat is gonna run you at least $3/pound for crappy ground beef... often more... you can't make the meatloaf for that price - especially once you factor in shrinkage of cooked meat)

On that note, it reminds me that I should share the garlic green bean recipe:

Can't remember which of these I used last, but pretty sure I've done both... 

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015483-pan-roasted-green-beans-with-golden-almonds
https://www.oliviascuisine.com/green-beans-garlic-almonds/ (I think this is the one I use most often - but I never stick to a recipe anyways unless I'm baking... it's an entry point.)

We also do a "cole slaw" with no mayo... don't have a recipe but basic oil/vinegar dressing, salt/pepper/oregano, sliced grape/cherry tomatoes, and feta... can make tweaks however you like... pepper vinegar for a bit of kick for example (or just go full on hot sauce dash).

Desserts... personally would skip them or do something simple like strawberries with homemade whipped cream (stevia sweetened), but sometimes you need to treat yo self (or maybe it's a birthday party or something and you want to have something while everyone else is eating cake and ice cream...

Lot of work for this recipe, but it's really good: http://queenketo.com/sugar-free-low-carb-keto-tiramisu/ (alternately, she has a lot of dessert recipes - and plenty that don't take this long... I just made this one for anniversary because of the aforementioned trip to Italy.)

Anyways, that's all I can think of off the top of my head... Let me know if there are any specific foods you are a fan of. I'm good at finding and qualifying recipes by looking at them and always game to try new stuff... my wife will be happy to change the game up a bit.

Edited by fibonaccisquared
Moved because I hate bottom posting...
sdogg and Carter like this

wow thanks soo much Fibonaccisquared..  I am going to make that frittata and that buffalo chicken lettuce wrap. 

16 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

wow thanks soo much Fibonaccisquared..  I am going to make that frittata and that buffalo chicken lettuce wrap. 

For sure bud. I'll update as I think of or try new things... don't hesitate to @mention me though either... as I do have a tendency to forget about posts like these after I make them. lol

For the frittata, literally do whatever you want with it... sub out bacon for sausage or ham or your meat of choice.. pair it with a cheese that works (ham/swiss for example)... change your herbs up... it's really versatile and it's nice to be able to not have to cook breakfast every AM.

For the lettuce wrap, even though it's not in the recipe, I really felt like the celery added something.. Just make sure to dice it pretty small. I liked this one because my wife doesn't like things super spicy so I made hers and then loaded it down with reaper hotsauce to get to my desired heat level. :)

sdogg likes this

4 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

For sure bud. I'll update as I think of or try new things... don't hesitate to @mention me though either... as I do have a tendency to forget about posts like these after I make them. lol

For the frittata, literally do whatever you want with it... sub out bacon for sausage or ham or your meat of choice.. pair it with a cheese that works (ham/swiss for example)... change your herbs up... it's really versatile and it's nice to be able to not have to cook breakfast every AM.

For the lettuce wrap, even though it's not in the recipe, I really felt like the celery added something.. Just make sure to dice it pretty small. I liked this one because my wife doesn't like things super spicy so I made hers and then loaded it down with reaper hotsauce to get to my desired heat level. :)

I really stink at cooking..  i mean it used to take me 45 minutes to make spaghetti noodles.. that says it all.  anyways i have tried to get back into cooking since my wife has been the cook for the previous 18 years.  so i am cooking more and these recipes are sooo easy to follow.. i am making keto rolls, a number of keto chicken recipes.  the ones above you posted are awesome.. thanks so much for posting them..   thanks for the info.  

2 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

I really stink at cooking..  i mean it used to take me 45 minutes to make spaghetti noodles.. that says it all.  anyways i have tried to get back into cooking since my wife has been the cook for the previous 18 years.  so i am cooking more and these recipes are sooo easy to follow.. i am making keto rolls, a number of keto chicken recipes.  the ones above you posted are awesome.. thanks so much for posting them..   thanks for the info.  

I'm a very *good* cook (confirmed by others, not my opinion... :lol:), but I'm also somewhat lazy and my time management skills when trying to get multiple things done at the same time in the kitchen are... shall we say "in need of improvement" (also confirmed by others, not just my opinion...). 

For the most part, if I share a recipe, it's going to be easy to make unless I mention otherwise... it will either be a one pot special, make ahead crock pot, short prep/cook time, etc... Life is too short to spend 2+ hours making a dish... if I can't get the whole thing done in 30-45 minutes of active work, it likely doesn't make it to the keeper list.

Biggest key to getting more efficient in the kitchen is simply this: get IN the kitchen... It's all muscle memory and learning what works for you... where to prep what pieces/parts, what you can do together vs what needs to be separate, what to keep out and at the ready and where is the easiest place to reach it, etc...

The worst thing that happens is you make food that tastes like **** or is inedible... maybe waste 10-20 bucks in the process... and that's almost absolute worst case... typically it's much less severe... tastes too salty, under/overcooked protein... as long as you are learning from your mistakes along the way, it was a lesson well invested in. :) 

If your local library supports it, check out the mobile app "Overdrive" - free ebook checkouts and there are a lot of cookbooks in Fulton county's available pool. Haven't looked specifically for Keto, but there is so much quality stuff in there, definitely worth a look as well.

52 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

I'm a very *good* cook (confirmed by others, not my opinion... :lol:), but I'm also somewhat lazy and my time management skills when trying to get multiple things done at the same time in the kitchen are... shall we say "in need of improvement" (also confirmed by others, not just my opinion...). 

For the most part, if I share a recipe, it's going to be easy to make unless I mention otherwise... it will either be a one pot special, make ahead crock pot, short prep/cook time, etc... Life is too short to spend 2+ hours making a dish... if I can't get the whole thing done in 30-45 minutes of active work, it likely doesn't make it to the keeper list.

Biggest key to getting more efficient in the kitchen is simply this: get IN the kitchen... It's all muscle memory and learning what works for you... where to prep what pieces/parts, what you can do together vs what needs to be separate, what to keep out and at the ready and where is the easiest place to reach it, etc...

The worst thing that happens is you make food that tastes like **** or is inedible... maybe waste 10-20 bucks in the process... and that's almost absolute worst case... typically it's much less severe... tastes too salty, under/overcooked protein... as long as you are learning from your mistakes along the way, it was a lesson well invested in. :) 

If your local library supports it, check out the mobile app "Overdrive" - free ebook checkouts and there are a lot of cookbooks in Fulton county's available pool. Haven't looked specifically for Keto, but there is so much quality stuff in there, definitely worth a look as well.

I was on keto for like 3 months and lost 30 lbs.. then i was off and back on now for 10 days and lost 12 lbs.  i am learning more and more about keto.  I really love the dr. berg videos on youtube and his mobile app.  i didn't realize there were like 5 different keto versions of the eating plan.  like lazy keto, strick keto, healthy keto..  lol  yeah the more and more i cook the better i get.  i bought an easy 5-ingredient ketogenic cook book.. i love that book because it has some easier and quicker recipes since it was written by a working mom and her whole goal to do quicker meals due to time constraints.. her blog is awesome as well.  however those recipes above are awesome.. i am so excited.  i have been trying to get my wife on keto and the more I cook the more she is eating ketoish so i am at least reintroducing her to it.  thanks for all of your help.. i will check out the overdrive.. never heard of that before. 

1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

I was on keto for like 3 months and lost 30 lbs.. then i was off and back on now for 10 days and lost 12 lbs.  i am learning more and more about keto.  I really love the dr. berg videos on youtube and his mobile app.  i didn't realize there were like 5 different keto versions of the eating plan.  like lazy keto, strick keto, healthy keto..  lol  yeah the more and more i cook the better i get.  i bought an easy 5-ingredient ketogenic cook book.. i love that book because it has some easier and quicker recipes since it was written by a working mom and her whole goal to do quicker meals due to time constraints.. her blog is awesome as well.  however those recipes above are awesome.. i am so excited.  i have been trying to get my wife on keto and the more I cook the more she is eating ketoish so i am at least reintroducing her to it.  thanks for all of your help.. i will check out the overdrive.. never heard of that before. 

That's great to hear man. If you find some good ones, please share as well. Always good to crowd source. :)

With Overdrive, it's great for just regular reading/audiobooks as well... largely no need for things like Audible unless you want new-releases or very specific books. I use it a ton for work travel or just going to sleep sometimes.

SacFalcFan likes this

On 1/21/2019 at 2:11 PM, 95Dawg said:

Planning on going back on the 1st with my wife and son. Supposed to be superhero night

Just a heads up.  My daughter took a family pic for Instagram and tagged Macon Mayhem and she received a free gift of a hockey puck. 

Had a great time at the game but I've never seen beer bellied men in hockey jerseys and camouflage caps before.  Definitely in Central Georgia!!!

95Dawg likes this

59 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Just a heads up.  My daughter took a family pic for Instagram and tagged Macon Mayhem and she received a free gift of a hockey puck. 

Had a great time at the game but I've never seen beer bellied men in hockey jerseys and camouflage caps before.  Definitely in Central Georgia!!!

Thanks for the heads up. 

Yep that described central GA

The Great American likes this

On 1/24/2019 at 5:48 PM, fibonaccisquared said:

That's great to hear man. If you find some good ones, please share as well. Always good to crowd source. :)

With Overdrive, it's great for just regular reading/audiobooks as well... largely no need for things like Audible unless you want new-releases or very specific books. I use it a ton for work travel or just going to sleep sometimes.

so i am now really working on lettuce wrap stuff and i had the chicken from above and it was great.  I also did a nice lettuce hamburger as well.  I am now down 45 lbs and am going to do the Peachtree road race this year.  I am in training for that so the weight will come off even more.. :)

7 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I am now down 45 lbs and am going to do the Peachtree road race this year.  I am in training for that so the weight will come off even more

Nice dude! Congrats on the progress. Just be careful with the training... if you amp up the activity level pretty significantly, you'll want to adjust the caloric intake... which means you need to plan for snacks most likely (which can be hard on keto). I know a 10K isn't insane or anything, but it's not nothing either.

Trying to train for a sprint triathlon myself... **** open water swimming... that's all I have to say currently. :lol: 

mike teevee likes this

9 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Nice dude! Congrats on the progress. Just be careful with the training... if you amp up the activity level pretty significantly, you'll want to adjust the caloric intake... which means you need to plan for snacks most likely (which can be hard on keto). I know a 10K isn't insane or anything, but it's not nothing either.

Trying to train for a sprint triathlon myself... **** open water swimming... that's all I have to say currently. :lol: 

Man I thought I was going to be smart when I was at UGA and say forget 2 PE classes I'll take 1 personal fitness class and get both credits knocked out. 

Picked swimming. 

In the Spring quarter (yeah I was before semesters).  Thought man it'll be hot out and take a dip and get 2 credits knocked out.  Win-Win right??? 

NOT

First off that pool is freezing

Second I had 15 minutes to get from the pool to North Campus (that includes changing clothes).  Yeah I did better scheduling after that quarter.

Thirdly, found out don't eat before going to PF swimming (almost tossed the cookies a couple of times).

Lastly, that dang class about drowned my sorry butt.  I found out I'm an ok swimmer but not that kind of swimmer.

It really will work out muscles you never knew about.

fibonaccisquared likes this

12 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

thanks man.  yeah i need to be careful.  right now i am doing weight lifting and non impact cardio 4 to 5 times a week.  I am trying very hard not to snack between meals and so far I am doing a decent job of it.  the days I do exercise with weights i am taking in more protein though with the aminos to help build up my muscle.  i will probably start the 10k training when it gets warmer outside in a few months, but in the meantime i need to make sure I get the keto to where i can do 2 meals per day with no snacking and that will take me some time to build up.  i restarted keto 16 days ago after doing it for about 2 months so I would say i am really just beginning with keto.  I have a lot to learn.   i had a few friends who did triathlons and the water swimming was the worst of it.  

On 1/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, fibonaccisquared said:

I did my first triathlon last year, an Olympic, it was a blast.