Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SacFalcFan

Offseason thread 2019

72 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Carter said:

Well maybe she doesn’t want a lot lol... but keto isn’t bad on your blood flow at all, your body breaks down those fats for energy a lot easier than it does carbs. You have to maintain a balance though, which society can make incredibly hard if you eat out or eat with friends a lot. Have to be careful even with the stuff you buy at the grocery store because so many things are loaded up with sugars.

If her idea of keto is just red meat and dairy she’s not doing it right anyway. Only thing I don’t like about keto is no pasta... I love pasta :( 

The Mediterranean diet is probably the only restrictive diet I could ever adopt. The keto diet sounds a lot like the Atkins diet from last decade.

Today (Monday) my diet has included but not been limited to: strawberries, black berries, blueberries, pineapple, sweet potato, bread, rice and various other items that probably aren't considered keto friendly.

I just eat a balanced diet from all the food groups in reasonable portion sizes. For protein I eat mostly chicken and seafood and try to eat red meat no more than two times a week.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

16 minutes ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

It does sound an awful lot like Atkins.

it is similar for sure to atkins, but there is one key difference and it's a big one.  there is no cap on atkins for protein while on keto you are limited to 20 percent of your daily calories.  Also on atkins the longer you are on it you reintroduce carbs, but on keto carbs are always limited.  

Good little article on it.. 

https://www.everydayhealth.com/ketogenic-diet/diet/ketogenic-diet-vs-atkins-diet-how-they-differ/

1 hour ago, Billy Ocean said:

The Mediterranean diet is probably the only restrictive diet I could ever adopt. The keto diet sounds a lot like the Atkins diet from last decade.

Today (Monday) my diet has included but not been limited to: strawberries, black berries, blueberries, pineapple, sweet potato, bread, rice and various other items that probably aren't considered keto friendly.

I just eat a balanced diet from all the food groups in reasonable portion sizes. For protein I eat mostly chicken and seafood and try to eat red meat no more than two times a week.

The Atkins diet has actually been around since the 70s, although it did blow up as a fad diet in the 2000s. Keto is kinda like the Atkins diet. Atkins is a structured plan though that emphasizes protein and reintroduces carbs at certain points for maintaining the diet.

Keto is just kinda like this is your life now, here’s what you can eat from now on, make your own meal plans to meet daily intake values and go. The goal of Atkins is simply short term weight loss, so people reach a plateau and get tired of it, drop off and rapidly put weight back on because they aren’t maintaining any lifestyle changes really... because it’s a fad diet that people use for short term weight loss goals. Whereas the goal of keto is long term, better overall health. Atkins involves short term ketosis for rapid weight loss, then breaks you out of it. Keto involves long term ketosis as a lifestyle change and getting right back into it if you ever cycle out.

There has been a ton of research into the benefits of keto for fighting a multitude of common health problems. Also a ton of research into the weight loss benefits of low carb diets if weight loss in itself is the primary goal. 

The hardest part of any low carb diet is starting it though and maintaining through to where your body is adjusted to it. Carb cravings are a beeyotch for most people and it’s very hard to avoid with the vast majority of food options available. Keto probably requires more discipline but it’s also meant to be a long term lifestyle change where bad weight loss is just one of the benefits.

They have a lot of similarities but they’re not the same. And everyone is a little bit different or perhaps has different goals in mind. Some folks never have a hard time battling bad weight. Some folks struggle to put on weight even when they try. So it’s good for some people and maybe useless for others. My friend I mentioned earlier is a pro MMA fighter and has been strictly on keto for years, has his kids on keto and that’s just how they eat. He swears by it and I’ve experienced it for myself to know it’s perfect for me.

Dawggone and sdogg like this

I should add that I have maintained good weight and good health long before I ever heard of keto and I never tried Atkins. My ex wife tried Atkins and couldn’t stick to it. Prior to when I was on keto before, I maintained mostly with portion control. I would eat pretty much whatever I wanted, without really going into unhealthy stuff like potato chips or donuts or cookies or dressings and stuff like that... I would just control how much I eat and workout regularly and I was in great health.

As I get older though I’ve experienced some health issues that keto really helps with amazingly. So it works for me as a lifestyle change... and when I was on keto before it was pretty much the best I’ve ever felt, so I’m looking forward to cycling back into it.

3 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

i had no idea how sugar had an affect on cancers, but the more I looked into it the more scary it got.  keto helps with inflammation which is one of the biggest health issues that people have to face.. again until keto i had no idea about the importance of inflammation and disease in our bodies.  

It is amazing how the reduction in sugar intake changed how I feel. I should add that I do some intermittent fasting. I would say most days I do at least 12 hrs and some as much as 18 hrs. In the oast I couldnt go more than 6-8 hours before feeling shaky or weak. Now my levels feel stable and I can do an intense circuit 16 hrs in and not feel bad.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

Think of keto as a more refined Adkins diet. Adkins just primarily gets you to cut carbs. Keto doors it with a more structured approach by nailing down your macros. And keto puts more emphasis on healthy fats. I've done both very successful and for long durations. Killing carbs is the key for me. But carbs are so intertwined with the American diet it's difficult to remain social. Especially around holidays.

Carter likes this

25 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

It is amazing how the reduction in sugar intake changed how I feel. I should add that I do some intermittent fasting. I would say most days I do at least 12 hrs and some as much as 18 hrs. In the oast I couldnt go more than 6-8 hours before feeling shaky or weak. Now my levels feel stable and I can do an intense circuit 16 hrs in and not feel bad.

I did keto for three months, but then got off it for a month.  Even though i was able to maintain the 30 lbs I lost, I didn't have the same feeling at all healthwise.  i could tell when i was going over my carb limit and I felt sluggish among other things.  as soon as I got back on it I  had a 3 day worth of headaches last week, but I feel great now and as you said I can fast now 12 hours without any issues.  i used to shake or feel weak when i would go without eating for about 6 hours or so.  now i can go without eating and i have zero issues with it.  it's really amazing with Keto what I can do now compared to when I am eating higher carb.  

8 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Think of keto as a more refined Adkins diet. Adkins just primarily gets you to cut carbs. Keto doors it with a more structured approach by nailing down your macros. And keto puts more emphasis on healthy fats. I've done both very successful and for long durations. Killing carbs is the key for me. But carbs are so intertwined with the American diet it's difficult to remain social. Especially around holidays.

yep the macros are the key driving point of this.. stay within your limits and you are burning fat when you go into ketosis.  i had a friend who would ride about 9000k miles a year on his bike and he could not get rid of his final 15 lbs of fat.  it was noticeable and then after getting on keto it didn't take him long to get rid of it.  I tried atkins myself, but nothing i have tried has worked as well as Keto has for me.  

For those who are on keto please post your best sites, apps, recipes you have found online, anything keto that can help each other out.. just have one post where you keep updating stuff..   

Here is a few I have found useful:

Apps:  

Carb Manager

MyfitnessPal

Websites: 

I got a bunch.  I will post these after I get some stuff done with the house. 

Recipes: 

Same

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

it is similar for sure to atkins, but there is one key difference and it's a big one.  there is no cap on atkins for protein while on keto you are limited to 20 percent of your daily calories.  Also on atkins the longer you are on it you reintroduce carbs, but on keto carbs are always limited.  

Good little article on it.. 

https://www.everydayhealth.com/ketogenic-diet/diet/ketogenic-diet-vs-atkins-diet-how-they-differ/

Thanks for sharing.  Sounds like a major lifestyle change for sure.

12 minutes ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

Thanks for sharing.  Sounds like a major lifestyle change for sure.

there is also levels to keto.. first 3 days then first month.. then you move back your breakfast where you go from 3 meals to 2 meals and then intermittent fasting you do 1 meal per day.  it's quite interesting for sure.. dr. berg has a great breakdown of this if you want to watch.. it's a 10 minute video.  

Nate McBride to fullback? Are there any legs to this and does Coley use a fullback more than Chaney, particularly in the red zone?

32 minutes ago, Carter said:

I am dying y’all 

hilarious.. Aint's tears are tasty.. 

1 hour ago, ECDawg78 said:

Nate McBride to fullback? Are there any legs to this and does Coley use a fullback more than Chaney, particularly in the red zone?

Hope it works out. We really missed having a full back when we ran from under center this year. 

1 hour ago, ECDawg78 said:

Honestly thought this would be a great idea this past season for him to ever see the field outside of ST.

14 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I hate the saints but this is hilarious. They should run with it and see how far it can go.

Man they are tweeting at the NFL citing the NFL rule book lol this Saints meltdown is hilarious. I’ve seen a lot of them demanding an extra 1st round draft pick. :lol: 

I don’t care if the refs did have a bad no call. That whole fanbase deserves this after how much they rubbed in 28-3 and continue to. They can eat **** and be disappointed. :lol: 

52 minutes ago, Carter said:

Man they are tweeting at the NFL citing the NFL rule book lol this Saints meltdown is hilarious. I’ve seen a lot of them demanding an extra 1st round draft pick. :lol: 

I don’t care if the refs did have a bad no call. That whole fanbase deserves this after how much they rubbed in 28-3 and continue to. They can eat **** and be disappointed. :lol: 

Lol yea the more this builds up the harder they will come crashing down to earth

m2Falcons and Carter like this