Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g-dawg

G-Dawg: 2019 Falcons Mock Draft: Part Deaux

55 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Hankins and Bennie Logan have been available the last two years and Falcons have shown no interest in them either year.

As to RB, I don’t see it that way.  Freeman is breaking down and multiple concussions and bruising running style.  Coleman is out the door to free agency, Ito is a buck ninety.   Running Back is more important than you think.

Rb is very much a need. And Koetter does tend to have a bigger back in rotation.

g-dawg likes this

5 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

This is terrible..a Guard in the first round, no thank you. And a rb in the 2nd Rd is insane. Plus we need CB help

Yeah let’s keep doing the same thing at guard and offensive line we have been doing- it’s worked so well - Chester, Garland, Schweitzer, Fusco, Levite’s, et:rolleyes:

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

6 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

This is terrible..a Guard in the first round, no thank you. And a rb in the 2nd Rd is insane. Plus we need CB help

Ford can play both guard and tackle in pinch. He should be cross trained at both. Last year the Colts took a guard in the first round (Nelson) and he made the probowl.

g-dawg and Geneaut like this

Good work, cheers.

I think we have to wait until 2020 for a RB though. DQ talkinga bout 60% of the Oline being "scrubbed". Im sure thats code for reviewed not cut, but still... I want to see more OL and DL and CB, as you did.

Find us a CJ anderson to hold us for 2019.

10 hours ago, stizz said:

Yuck. Ford doesn't do much for me in watching his tape. 

Seriously? I'd love to hear more as to why. Not questioning you or anything but you're the first person I've heard literally not interested in Ford on any level 

8 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Hankins and Bennie Logan have been available the last two years and Falcons have shown no interest in them either year.

As to RB, I don’t see it that way.  Freeman is breaking down and multiple concussions and bruising running style.  Coleman is out the door to free agency, Ito is a buck ninety.   Running Back is more important than you think.

I can get behind RB at #45 but I think it's a tougher sell right now pre-FA. With so much up in the air right now regarding both lines, taking a skill player with a fringe first round pick is tough. I get the logic and I think it's a real possibility though. 

The only problem is i think your first 3 picks in this mock all go in the first round and your 4th pick might be gone before our 2nd round pick.

g-dawg and vel like this

9 hours ago, g-dawg said:

after this free agency/draft - 

Starting OL:

RT-Ja'Juan JamesRG-Cody Ford,  OC-Alex Mack,  LG-Wes Schweitzer(re-sign),  LT-Jake Matthews   (Gaillard compeition for Schweitzer at LG and eventual Mack Replacement).

RB - 1) DeVonta Freeman,  2) Josh Jacobs,  3) Ito Smith,  4) Brian Hill   (Jacobs takes over #1 duties in 2020 when Freeman likely cut).

Do you think the Falcons plan to use Brian Hill at FB?

I seem to remember some rumblings about that at the end of the season.

g-dawg likes this

Whether it’s James or Daryl Williams, I just want a RT replacement for Schraeder.  On board.  Not a big fan of trade downs in mocks, especially when you don’t attach a premium...couple of things.  

1) I’m starting to worry that Ford won’t be there at #14, much less than #24.

2) Jacobs looks like he’s starting to gain consensus as the #1 RB in this draft.  Chances he falls to #45 seems slim.

3) Everything I read about Ximenes feels like he’s a less athletic Beasley.  I’d be excited for the Falcons to move away from that profile of player.  I kind of feel that while Beasley has largely underperformed, the coaching staff has done him no favors.

4) I like the Wise pick...again though, I suspect you have him pegged a little too advantageously for the Falcons.

If it broke this way though, I’m in.  

g-dawg and vel like this

nice work gdawg.  i like the picks.  i would be ok with it. I know all too well that the Ximenes pick would be a good one.  hes someone our scouting department should key in on the third day.  i think cody ford will be gone by 24 however...

g-dawg likes this

I liked it. DL would be nice in the first round, but if Ford or Williams is there at 14, I think that's got to be the pick. This is a pretty deep DL class so we can address that later. 

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

The only problem is i think your first 3 picks in this mock all go in the first round and your 4th pick might be gone before our 2nd round pick.

That’s usually the way my mocks start out this early in the year before the draft positions start to solidify on who is a Day#1 and Day#2 pick.   You are probably right though.

Right concept.  Think we definitely need a DT as well, but going heavy on OL and picking up some kind of RB is critical.

I'm not against getting an "ok" inexpensive back in FA for insurance so we can use our 2nd on a DT.  Get another back in the 5th round or so and let them battle it out.

If our DL picks had all panned out (Beas, Takk, Senat) to the level expected, then I'd be 100% on board w this type draft.

As it is, as boring as it sounds, I'd be fine with 1 OL in FA and one DL in FA, and then 2 more of each in the first 4 rounds.  I don't normally handle drafts that way, but it was so clear why we lost this year.

g-dawg likes this

53 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Whether it’s James or Daryl Williams, I just want a RT replacement for Schraeder.  On board.  Not a big fan of trade downs in mocks, especially when you don’t attach a premium...couple of things.  

1) I’m starting to worry that Ford won’t be there at #14, much less than #24.

2) Jacobs looks like he’s starting to gain consensus as the #1 RB in this draft.  Chances he falls to #45 seems slim.

3) Everything I read about Ximenes feels like he’s a less athletic Beasley.  I’d be excited for the Falcons to move away from that profile of player.  I kind of feel that while Beasley has largely underperformed, the coaching staff has done him no favors.

4) I like the Wise pick...again though, I suspect you have him pegged a little too advantageously for the Falcons.

If it broke this way though, I’m in.  

1) Ford will be there at #14 but you are possibly right on him not being available at #24.  When did Isaiah Wynn go last year - #22-#23 range?  I know he went 2-3 spots before Falcons pick.

2) Jacobs range to me is probably first 15 picks of 2nd round.  I see him possibly going in the mid to late 30’s - so you could be right.

3) Ximines coming from ODU, it’s hard to find a lot of YouTube tape on him.  He’s taller than Vic I believe and maybe could carry 10-15 more pounds.  Definitely need someone with more diverse passrush moves than the Vic one trick pony speed rush.

4) Yeah Wise looks like the type of player that will outperform his draft position and just has the motor needed to excel.  He’s not a nose tackle though as he is only about two bucks and ninety cents.

Good feedback TDWII. 

I agreed with your overall points you made in your thread about the most important thing for Falcons now is fixing the OLine and running game.  I also don’t believe the Falcons should count on Freeman past 2019 and start planning accordingly.

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

3) Ximines coming from ODU, it’s hard to find a lot of YouTube tape on him.  He’s taller than Vic I believe and maybe could carry 10-15 more pounds.  Definitely need someone with more diverse passrush moves than the Vic one trick pony speed rush.

I don’t think our pass rush is all that deficient.  We don’t have that ‘if you need a sack’ type of player.  But collectively, I don’t think we can’t get to the QB like I thought 3-4 years ago when we sim0,y could pressure the QB.

But stopping the run is an issue.  For me, when we get our ***** handed to us is when teams methodically move down the field, keeping the ball away from our offense at the same time.  If we’re going to let up a score, I’d much rather it be a 6 play 75 yard drive that takes up 3-4 mins than a 13 play 75 yard drive that takes up 8-9.  If a team wants to go toe-to-toe with us on the former...I’m fine with that.  We can play that game.  The latter...?  Not so much.

In fact, look at the Saints.  They finished with 519 pass attempts this season.  Good for 23rd in the NFL.  471 rushing attempts though had them 5th.  They’ve built their team to beat down the Falcons with long sustained drives.

12 hours ago, g-dawg said:

What I like about this FA/Draft is it really fixes the offensive LOS.  With Ja'wan James a Day#1 starter at RT,  Cody Ford a Day#1 starter at RG or LG and Gaillard can challenge for remaining Guard spot w/ Schweitzer - suddenly the Falcons offensive line is fixed - stronger and more athletic.

Don't know enough about college players to comment much, do like the positions taken. Would take another trench player in the second instead of the RB. Falcons have done well taking a RB in the 3rd and 4th rounds, just keep doing that.  Want a deep strong, playing-on-their-first-contract DLine.

Be really interested in what happens with Beaseley.  Would like a 2-3 year deal with outs after every year, loaded with incentives so that, if he plays well, he gets paid, if he doesn't, Falcons will move on.

Maybe something like, turn the 13 mil into two years salary instead of one , with lots of incentives, so that he can actually make more than 13 mil next year with a really good year. Just hate the idea of him going to another team and it finally clicking for him

g-dawg likes this

1 minute ago, takeitdown said:

Right concept.  Think we definitely need a DT as well, but going heavy on OL and picking up some kind of RB is critical.

I'm not against getting an "ok" inexpensive back in FA for insurance so we can use our 2nd on a DT.  Get another back in the 5th round or so and let them battle it out.

If our DL picks had all panned out (Beas, Takk, Senat) to the level expected, then I'd be 100% on board w this type draft.

As it is, as boring as it sounds, I'd be fine with 1 OL in FA and one DL in FA, and then 2 more of each in the first 4 rounds.  I don't normally handle drafts that way, but it was so clear why we lost this year.

I like all your comments.  The only one I disagree with is about picking up a free agent RB.  I honestly believe you should never sign a RB in free agency unless you are getting him dirt cheap - Rams probably paid almost nothing for CJ Anderson.  A RB is only as good as his line and RBs are at their peak from 22-27yrs old.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I like all your comments.  The only one I disagree with is about picking up a free agent RB.  I honestly believe you should never sign a RB in free agency unless you are getting him dirt cheap - Rams probably paid almost nothing for CJ Anderson.  A RB is only as good as his line and RBs are at their peak from 22-27yrs old.

I agree with that.  I actually meant a dirt cheap RB.  A RB who was mediocre for another team, is 26, hitting his first FA, and looks like he'd be better in a 1 cut and go system is what I was talking about.  Or else an old one who has 1 to 2 years left.

I'm anti FA RB as well.  So this is more of a 2M/year RB just so we don't absolutely have to draft one.  

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

That’s usually the way my mocks start out this early in the year before the draft positions start to solidify on who is a Day#1 and Day#2 pick.   You are probably right though.

Yeah those first four guys have already started moving up the board and we haven't even gotten to the combine yet. A lot of teams place an awful lot of stock into the underwear olympics.

g-dawg likes this

Question G DAWG. I know Ford is good but is he really the 14th pick in the Draft good? I agree he is a first rounder but that whole Oklahoma O-line was good, big and nasty. (In fact I hope Sambia or Evans are around in the 4th round) Did having that type of talent around him help him look special? He had the quickest, most elusive, throw on the run QB in college football. He had an offensive genius calling plays. At the end of the day maybe none of this means nothing. Ford is a very worthy prospect for us. But he sure had a lot of positives around him.

6 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

Question G DAWG. I know Ford is good but is he really the 14th pick in the Draft good? I agree he is a first rounder but that whole Oklahoma O-line was good, big and nasty. (In fact I hope Sambia or Evans are around in the 4th round) Did having that type of talent around him help him look special? He had the quickest, most elusive, throw on the run QB in college football. He had an offensive genius calling plays. At the end of the day maybe none of this means nothing. Ford is a very worthy prospect for us. But he sure had a lot of positives around him.

If you noticed,  I had us moving down from #14 to #24 to take Ford.

What makes Ford special is his athleticism for such a large human being.  Generally guys his size (6’4”, 330+lbs) cannot move as well as Ford can.

Would I take him at #14?  Probably not as there would probably be Defensive Tackles I liked a little better at #14.   Anywhere later than probably #18 though would be fair value for Ford.   Basically for moving back 10 spots in my trade scenario, Falcons would pick up early 3rd and early 4th rd pick.