Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g-dawg

G-Dawg: 2019 Falcons Mock Draft: Part Deaux

55 posts in this topic

ok, here we go heading into another loooooooooong offseason with many moving parts.   

Priority #1 has to be getting Grady Jarrett locked up to a long term contract or placing the franchise tag on him.  

Priority #2 has to be to refortify the offensive line to protect Matt Ryan and to have a platform to be able to run the ball.

Priority #3 has got to be to continue to find more options to rush the passer

Priority #4 needs to be jazzing up the run game and preparing for Devonta Freeman's decline.

As we heard at the year-end press conference, when asked about the offensive line, Dan Quinn basically said he had two positions solid with Jake Matthews at Left Tackle and Alex Mack at Center - of course Mack is going to be 33/34 years old this year, I believe.  Levitre will be gone and 50/50 shot that Ryan Schraeder could be shown the door and, at the least, will be required to take a paycut.  Falcons will likely rescind the 5th year option on Vic Beasley and may negotiate w/ him on a $6mm one-year prove-it type deal - no way will Vic's agent settle on that until testing free agency and see what's available - so, given that, he could be 50/50 option as well.   This will not be a comprehensive top-to-bottom offseason detail as - frankly it bores me and the Falcons won't do what I say anyway.  Here is just a "hit the highlights" thing for Falcons.

FREE AGENCY:

Sign Ja'Juan James, RT-Miami 6'6" 312lbs - 5yrs, $45mm and $20mm guaranteed -   James is only 26yrs old and very good possibility that the Dolphins tag him if they don't sign him long term.  This would be a good signing for Falcons as James is still young and can be a long-term solution.  He was a former 1st round pick and can anchor in pass protection and get out on the perimeter in the run game.

Image result for ja'wuan james getty images

NFL Draft:

at #1-14 overall, Roger Goodell walks to the podium - Falcons are on the clock:   "We have a trade.  The Atlanta Falcons have traded the 14th overall selection (1,100pts) to the Oakland Raiders.  The Falcons will receive from Oakland picks #1-24(740pts), #3-66(260pts)  and #4-99(104pts).  (Oakland takes QB Drew Lock)

****One hour and 30 minutes later*****

Goodell to the podium:  "With the 24th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select - CODY FORD, Offensive Guard - Oklahoma

#1-024) Cody Ford, OG - Oklahoma - 6'4", 334lbs -(f/ Oakland)  Ford was the starting right tackle for the Sooners, but some sources say that he projects to being a guard in the NFL. Others think that Ford could stay on the edge, and some think a team could get away with him at left tackle. Some sources have compared Ford to Pro Bowler Duane Brown. 

Ford is thick blocker with good bulk for the next level. Scouts who were through Oklahoma say that Ford is an outstanding athlete for his size. He is very quick and shockingly light on his feet for such a big blocker. Some evaluators think Ford could be a riser in the leadup to the 2019 NFL Draft because his excellent quickness and athleticism will impress during the pre-draft workouts. (walterfootball.com)

Image result for cody ford

#2-045) Josh Jacobs, RB - Alabama (5'10", 216lbs, 4.49/40) - I know some scouts who rave about Jacobs and think he could have the best skill set of any of the running backs from Alabama's roster. That is really saying something, and a lot of that is from watching the Crimson Tide in practice. They feel that Jacobs is the best running back prospect in the 2019 NFL Draft and worthy of going late in the first round. 

Jacobs is a very physically gifted running back as he has good size and is fast. He has athleticism, agility, running instincts, balance, power, and quick feet. Due to being part of a heavy rotation with Damien Harris and Najee Harris, Jacobs only carried the ball 120 times in 2018, but turned that into 640 yards (5.3 average) with 11 touchdowns. He also had 20 receptions for 247 yards and three scores. After being a rotational back for three years, Jacobs will be entering the NFL with very little wear-and-tear. (walterfootball.com) 

Image result for josh jacobs alabama

#3-066) O'Shane Ximines, DE - Old Dominion (6'3", 252lbs 4.65/40) (f/ Oakland) 1/14/19: Ximines totaled 58 tackles with 18.5 tackles for a loss, 12 sacks, four forced fumbles, two passes batted and one interception in 2018. He has received some first-round hype from some in the media, but multiple team sources say they see Ximines as a second- or third-rounder. 

8/29/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Ximines checks in at 6-foot-3, 252 pounds with 32.75-inch arms, 9.5-inch hands, and a wingspan of 78.5 inches. He is said to run the 40-yard dash in 4.65 seconds. 

Sources have told me that Ximines earned a preseason selection on teams' watch lists as a prospect for the first four rounds of the 2019 NFL Draft. In 2017, he recorded 44 tackles with 14 tackles for a loss, 8.5 sacks, three passes batted and four forced fumbles. He had 7.5 sacks as a sophomore and five as a freshman. Ximines might fit best as a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL given his body type.(Walterfootball.com)

Image result for oshane ximines old dominion

#3-079) Trayvon Mullen, CB - Clemson (6'1", 186lbs) 1/14/19: Mullen recorded 36 tackles with three pass broken up and one interception in 2018. In speaking to some team sources, they see Mullen as having first- or second-round skill set, but they were disappointed with his play during 2018 and do not feel he played like an opening-night selection. Thus, multiple scouts told me they have Mullen in the mid-rounds of the 2019 NFL Draft. 

8/29/18: According to NFL preseason data, Mullen checks in at 6-foot-1, 186-pounds. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds. His arms measure 31.25 inches, he has 8.88 inch hands, and a wingspan of 75.88 inches.

Mullen is a physical freak who has a ton of athletic upside. In 2017, he totaled 42 tackles with three interceptions and seven passes broken up. Some team sources say that entering the 2018 season, his tape might be more of a second-rounder, but they think with his excellent skill set he could be a first-rounder and if he has a good season, he could skyrocket.

Related image

#4-099) Lamont Gaillard, OC - Georgia (6'3", 290lbs - 5.10/40) (f/ Oakland)  - Very good technician with tenacity, leadership and the ability to make the reach blocks at 2nd level on linebackers.

Image result for lamont gaillard georgia

#4-110) Daniel Wise, DT-Kansas (6'2", 290lbs 4.85/40-proj) 1/14/19: Wise totaled 34 tackles with 12.5 tackles for a loss and five sacks in 2018. 

8/29/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Wise checks in at 6-foot-2, 290 pounds with 32.63-inch arms, 10.13-inch hands, and a wingspan of 79.75 inches. They have him running the 40-yard dash in 4.85 seconds. 

Kansas has not won a lot of games recently, so players like Dorance Armstrong and Wise have gone under the radar. In 2017, Wise totaled 52 tackles with 15.5 tackles for a loss, 6.5 sacks, one pass batted and one forced fumble. He had three sacks and 10 tackles for a loss as a sophomore. 

Wise is fast at the point of attack with the ability to close on the quarterback. It will be interesting to see how the loss of Armstrong to the NFL will impact Wise, as Armstrong drew away a ton of attention last year. (walterfootball.com)

Related image

4th round(#133) - ***COMP PICK for POE***)  Hunter Renfrow, WR - Clemson (5'10", 180lbs - 4.54/40) - Why should we draft this little white boy?   All he does is make plays and never drops the ball.   If we don't draft him, New England will!    As talented as Falcons are at WR, we need a sure handed guy we can stick in the slot and make a play - also has skills as a returner.   Will need to get stronger and put on about another 10lbs of muscle to survive the NFL - wouldn't bet against him.

Image result for hunter renfrow highlights 2018

5th round)  Dontavious Russell, NT - Auburn (6'3", 310lbs)  -  1/14/19: Russell was decent for Auburn in 2018, recording 36 tackles with six for a loss and 1.5 sacks. For the NFL, he projects best as a nose tackle. 

8/29/18: Russell had 46 tackles with 6.5 for a loss, three sacks, one forced fumble and two passes batted in 2017. He was decent, but unimpressive. Russell was wise to return to Auburn for 2018. 

Russell formed a tough interior defensive line in 2016 with Montravius Adams. Scouts who did advanced work for the 2018 class say that Russell has an early-round skill set. It will be interesting to see if Russell finally plays up to his ability, because Adams had a first-round skill set, yet ended up being a third-round pick. Russell recorded 42 tackles with 4.5 for a loss and 1.5 sacks in 2015. In 2016, he totaled 29 tackles with two passes batted.

Image result for dontavius russell

5th round (COMP Pick for Taylor Gabriel) - Chase Hansen, OLB/SS - Utah (6'2" 220lbs - 4.65/40) 1/14/19: In 2018, Hansen recorded 114 tackles, two interceptions, four passes broken up, 22 tackles for a loss and five sacks. He was all over the field for the Utes as a seek-and-destroy defender. Hansen moved to linebacker as a senior, and that is the position he should play in the NFL. 

8/29/18: Hansen's best season came as a sophomore, when he totaled 90 tackles with nine passes broken up and three interceptions. He had 51 tackles with two breakups and an interception as a junior. Hansen is a big safety who could grow into a linebacker.

Image result for chase hansen utah

Renfroe that high? I'd rather have Mecole. But man I think Trayvon Mullen is going to be a beast! I don't. know if he will be around mid-3rd round.

g-dawg likes this

4 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

Renfroe that high? I'd rather have Mecole. But man I think Trayvon Mullen is going to be a beast! I don't. know if he will be around mid-3rd round.

That would be the Falcons last of three 4th round picks - basically it's a 5th round pick.    Renfroe compares similiarly to me to Julian Edelman - little slot receiver with great hands.   Did you see all those contested/tight catches Edelman made in AFCCG?  Ridiculous catch he made to beat Falcons in SB?    Renfrow is that kind of guy - do I think he is worth the equivalent of a 5th round pick?  Yep!   

Mecole's value is speed and would be a good ST player but STeams keep becoming less and less of a factor in today's NFL.

Your probably right on Mullen - probably ends up a late 2nd rounder.

What I like about this FA/Draft is it really fixes the offensive LOS.  With Ja'wan James a Day#1 starter at RT,  Cody Ford a Day#1 starter at RG or LG and Gaillard can challenge for remaining Guard spot w/ Schweitzer - suddenly the Falcons offensive line is fixed - stronger and more athletic.

falconidae likes this

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

Unfortunately. Good mock. 

*hangs head, walks out”

added a NT in 5th round for ya! so we got one smaller/faster guy (Wise) and one immovable anchor in the middle (Russell).

Knight of God likes this

3 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I much prefer your other mock.

I hear ya.....if I do too many, bound to produce some stinkers, right? :sadwave:

12 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

added a NT in 5th round for ya! so we got one smaller/faster guy (Wise) and one immovable anchor in the middle (Russell).

For real. It’s a great mock.

g-dawg likes this

after this free agency/draft - 

Starting OL:

RT-Ja'Juan JamesRG-Cody Ford,  OC-Alex Mack,  LG-Wes Schweitzer(re-sign),  LT-Jake Matthews   (Gaillard compeition for Schweitzer at LG and eventual Mack Replacement).

RB - 1) DeVonta Freeman,  2) Josh Jacobs,  3) Ito Smith,  4) Brian Hill   (Jacobs takes over #1 duties in 2020 when Freeman likely cut).

Sorry G-Dawg Galliard doesn’t weigh 310 plus,size is everything round here to a lot.

Purple.

Good effort I look foward to some different takes throughout the off season.

g-dawg likes this

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Sorry G-Dawg Galliard doesn’t weigh 310 plus,size is everything round here to a lot.

Purple.

Good effort I look foward to some different takes throughout the off season.

yeah, there will be more....hopefully not too many more - I work on commission in my day job!

kiwifalcon likes this

We may get JuWuan James I remember him when he played for North Gwinnett. I understand how you feel about Renfroe  the dude is gritty but can he do it in the Pro's? Can he get separation? Can we get him in the 6th or 7th? Maybe Terry Godwin from UGA late 4th would be a better option. One other position I think some of people are overlooking is LB.  I'm. not as comfortable there as some are. What about a trade back and get 6:6,  244 lb OLB/ DE Montez Sweat get DT Dexter Lawrence

and OG. Chris Lindstrom in the 2nd, Holyfield in the 3rd, with our 3- 4th rounders take Lamont Galliad, Mecole and Ole Miss CB Clark. Boise St.  OB Brett Rypien in the 5th T E,  C. J. Conrad from Kentucky and the 274 lb FB ?

g-dawg likes this

If you could throw me in 1 more really good FA DT/NT to go along with James i would be pretty ok with this draft overall.  As it sits with no other FA coming in thats really good on the D-line then i for sure wouldn't have any interest in a RB in round 2.  I would replace that with a very good DT/NT there and worry about RB much later as the RB we get will be 3rd on depth chart anyways for the next few years and 2nd round is to high for that for me atleast without beefing up the trenches more than a few late round guys.

g-dawg likes this

so let's assume we would have stayed at #1-014 and took Jeffery Simmons, DT-Miss State - AND - then compare it to the players I picked in this mock.

Would you rather have:     Jeffery Simmons, DT -  OR - Cody Ford, OG, O'Shane Ximines, DE & LaMont Gaillard, C ????

(keep in mind, still drafted two DTs with other Falcons picks)

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

so let's assume we would have stayed at #1-014 and took Jeffery Simmons, DT-Miss State - AND - then compare it to the players I picked in this mock.

Would you rather have:     Jeffery Simmons, DT -  OR - Cody Ford, OG, O'Shane Ximines, DE & LaMont Gaillard, C ????

(keep in mind, still drafted two DTs with other Falcons picks)

I think you misunderstand i am all for the trade down :)  

My replacements would have been

#24 - Dexter Lawrence or Christian Wilkins - DT
2nd - Lindstrom/Risner/Dieter - OG - Those 1st 2 i actually like as much as Ford at OG at the next level.  But i like Ford more than Dieter for sure he would just be a minor downgrade to get a top tier DT for me.
3rd - O'shane Ximines
3rd - Lamon't Gailliard - C
Then start going with depth like RB, DT, LB, CB, ETC. 

But said said if you can swing a top tier level DT in FA as well as James then i can somewhat be ok taking a RB early which i usually hate doing even more so when it's not a #1 RB need.

g-dawg likes this

10 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I think you misunderstand i am all for the trade down :)  

My replacements would have been

#24 - Dexter Lawrence or Christian Wilkins - DT
2nd - Lindstrom/Risner/Dieter - OG - Those 1st 2 i actually like as much as Ford at OG at the next level.  But i like Ford more than Dieter for sure he would just be a minor downgrade to get a top tier DT for me.
3rd - O'shane Ximines
3rd - Lamon't Gailliard - C
Then start going with depth like RB, DT, LB, CB, ETC. 

But said said if you can swing a top tier level DT in FA as well as James then i can somewhat be ok taking a RB early which i usually hate doing even more so when it's not a #1 RB need.

don't think Falcons will be players in the big money free agent market for a DTackle.   Maybe if we can get a bargain - Falcons are not going to tie up big money in a FA DT while also having to pay Grady Jarrett $15mm per year.     Maybe if we can get one seeking a one year deal to re-establish their market value.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

don't think Falcons will be players in the big money free agent market for a DTackle.   Maybe if we can get a bargain - Falcons are not going to tie up big money in a FA DT while also having to pay Grady Jarrett $15mm per year.     Maybe if we can get one seeking a one year deal to re-establish their market value.

Im not talking elite level DT money thats gonna be Grady for sure.  Im talking someone like Bennie Logan, Johnathon Hankins, etc...   That next level of tier around 5 to 7 mil for a very solid vet DT who can get the job done to pair with our other DT's and our drafted DT's.     If we can't pull that in FA then i want a DT in the 1st 2 rounds that can be a man beast next to Grady and have Senat and whoever else we draft as top tier depth and rotation.   To me a top tier DT in the 1st 2 rounds is way more important than a 3rd or 4th RB when we got 2 very capable ones already in freeman and ito.

g-dawg likes this

3 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Im not talking elite level DT money thats gonna be Grady for sure.  Im talking someone like Bennie Logan, Johnathon Hankins, etc...   That next level of tier around 5 to 7 mil for a very solid vet DT who can get the job done to pair with our other DT's and our drafted DT's.     If we can't pull that in FA then i want a DT in the 1st 2 rounds that can be a man beast next to Grady and have Senat and whoever else we draft as top tier depth and rotation.   To me a top tier DT in the 1st 2 rounds is way more important than a 3rd or 4th RB when we got 2 very capable ones already in freeman and ito.

Hankins and Bennie Logan have been available the last two years and Falcons have shown no interest in them either year.

As to RB, I don’t see it that way.  Freeman is breaking down and multiple concussions and bruising running style.  Coleman is out the door to free agency, Ito is a buck ninety.   Running Back is more important than you think.

kiwifalcon and MSalmon like this

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Hankins and Bennie Logan have been available the last two years and Falcons have shown no interest in them either year.

Yeah sadly i agree with that i was just using them as names that are similar talent i would want to sign.  Im not against other DT's they were just well known people i figured most would know to compare talent with XD   If you got a guy you like alot thats quality talent like them you think we would target insert them as well just no scrubs is all im saying.  Im tired of cheaping out on all the trench talent on both sides of the line.  I want some serious *** beaters on the OL and DL long before i want any more skill positions players we got tons of those already and thats got us no where :D

I say this how about we compromise  and get the best of both worlds    We trade down to pick up extra assets to get Ford at 24 for OG.  Then we package one of those 3rds with our 2nd to move back up to get Dexter Lawrence ;)

Ford + Lawrence gives us 2 monsters on both sides of the line.  Still gives us a extra pick to work with we can use on a nice solid RB in the 4th round :P

g-dawg likes this

I like it. A lovethe no more grabbing running back from the UDFA heap pile. You got a playmaker rb and a big G to run behind. 

Nice mock

g-dawg likes this