Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think Matt Ryan is better than Peyton Manning, Dan Marino and Jim Kelly?

186 posts in this topic

3 quarterbacks Matt Ryan has been compared to the most are Peyton Manning, Dan Marino and Jim Kelly. How good is Matt Ryan compared to these 3 quarterbacks in your opinion?  I think Matt is better than Jim Kelly and slightly better than Marino but not quite as good as Peyton Manning yet. Your thoughts?

Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

3 quarterbacks Matt Ryan has been compared to the most are Peyton Manning, Dan Marino and Jim Kelly. How good is Matt Ryan compared to these 3 quarterbacks in your opinion?  I think Matt is better than Jim Kelly and slightly better than Marino but not quite as good as Peyton Manning yet. Your thoughts?

:munch:

Marino was the best QB out of all those QBs named. Steelers were stupid for passing on him coming out of their own backyard. He would have insane passing stats if he played in this era. One of the best pure passers ever. Peyton is not that far behind.

Sure Kelly helped get his Bills teams to 4 straight SB appearances, but those Bills teams were also loaded and really good on both sides of the ball and one of the most complete overall teams during that time. 

It's crazy to think that Kelly could've been in the conversation with Montana and Brady if the Bills had won most or all 4 of those SBs. Despite being a HOFer and one tough SOB in his constant fight with cancer, he is usually the forgotten great QB outside of losing 4 staight SBs.

53 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

When he lifts Lombardi..yes!

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

Why I think that when Ryan's career is over, he will belong in the conversation:

Matt Ryan has been Iron Man - He has missed two games in his career despite taking some serious hits.  Dude gets up, dusts himself off, and goes right back to it.  He consistently puts up around 4000 yards and 30 TD's.  If his body can continue to hold up, he's going to surpass all of these guys in NFL totals.  He probably won't break any of their single season records, but he has already been consistent for longer than most of them.

Marino's career shot out like a cannon.  5000 yards and 48 TD's in his first year as a starter.  That was, statistically, his best year.  People remember him for his first few years in the league, when he was lights out.  After that, his career was still good, but it wasn't consistent.

Kelly had a great 4 years stretch with a really fantastic team.  Outside of those 4 years, he was a top 10 QB.  If Ryan is ever given a great team to play with, perhaps we'll see a good stretch of years from him.  As it stands, Matt is simply a top 5/10 QB every year.

The big difference between Manning and Ryan is touchdowns.  Manning consistently put up 4000 yards and 30 TD's every year.  He had two seasons where he threw over 40 TD's.  (49 and 55)  Ryan hasn't thrown 40 TD's yet.  Manning's best year was his 16th in the league, with a team that gave him everything that he needed to succeed.  Perhaps, one day, Ryan will be given that deal.  Until then, he'll just be that model of consistency... 4000 yards and 30 TD's.

I don't think that Ryan is, "better," than any of these guys.  I think that when his career is over, he will be in the conversation.

11 minutes ago, robertap said:

Why I think that when Ryan's career is over, he will belong in the conversation:

Matt Ryan has been Iron Man - He has missed two games in his career despite taking some serious hits.  Dude gets up, dusts himself off, and goes right back to it.  He consistently puts up around 4000 yards and 30 TD's.  If his body can continue to hold up, he's going to surpass all of these guys in NFL totals.  He probably won't break any of their single season records, but he has already been consistent for longer than most of them.

Marino's career shot out like a cannon.  5000 yards and 48 TD's in his first year as a starter.  That was, statistically, his best year.  People remember him for his first few years in the league, when he was lights out.  After that, his career was still good, but it wasn't consistent.

Kelly had a great 4 years stretch with a really fantastic team.  Outside of those 4 years, he was a top 10 QB.  If Ryan is ever given a great team to play with, perhaps we'll see a good stretch of years from him.  As it stands, Matt is simply a top 5/10 QB every year.

The big difference between Manning and Ryan is touchdowns.  Manning consistently put up 4000 yards and 30 TD's every year.  He had two seasons where he threw over 40 TD's.  (49 and 55)  Ryan hasn't thrown 40 TD's yet.  Manning's best year was his 16th in the league, with a team that gave him everything that he needed to succeed.  Perhaps, one day, Ryan will be given that deal.  Until then, he'll just be that model of consistency... 4000 yards and 30 TD's.

I don't think that Ryan is, "better," than any of these guys.  I think that when his career is over, he will be in the conversation.

It's honestly not fair to compare the era Dan Marino and Jim Kelly played in to the era Matt Ryan played in. The first 10 years of Peyton Manning's career was in the same era. The NFL didn't become this super charged outrageous passing league until around 2010. You look at some of the league leaders from the mid 2000s and earlier and those stats would place those guys in the 10ish range now days as far as things like yards, touchdowns and completion percentage goes. Check this out, go back to 2005, there was 1 QB in the entire NFL that year that had 30 TD passes, that was Carson Palmer with 32. Check out how TD passes has gone up since then.

• 2005 = 1
  • 2006 = 1
  • 2007 = 4
  • 2008 = 3
  • 2009 = 4
  • 2010 = 5
  • 2011 = 5
  • 2012 = 5
  • 2013 = 5
  • 2014 = 9
  • 2015 = 11
  • 2016 = 5
  • 2017 = 3
  • 2018 = 9

So, we went from only 1 guy with over 30 TD passes in 2005 and 2006 to it routinely being 5 by 2010 to it being 9, 11 and 9 in recent years. That's because of all the rule changes. Now think a back to Dan Marino, he had years with 48 and 44 TD passes early in his career when most other guys were struggling to reach 20-25 TD passes. That is how much better he was than the rest of the guys he was playing against. Had he played for a better team, he would have had even better numbers and won multiple Super Bowl rings. But fact is, the Dolphins after they drafted Dan Marino sucked and Marino was the only thing keeping them relevant. I don't know what happened to Don Shula by the time Marino arrived but his team building efforts left a lot to be desired. Marino had exactly 1 season where he had a running back rush for 1000 yards, that was at the end of his career when Marino was no longer the guy he was in his prime. He never had a great defense to back him either. He was forced to win games with his arm and he did quite a bit, but then the playoffs would come and it wasn't enough. The Bills owned the Dolphins in the playoffs and they met more than once and Jim Kelly's teams were always better and always won.

I'd say looking at their individual talent levels as players that Marino is top 5 all-time, of the guys I got to see play. Matt Ryan is more talented and a better player than Jim Kelly and I'd like to think if Ryan had teams as loaded as those Bills teams that they would have won at least 1 Super Bowl. I think as far as talent goes, Ryan and Peyton are pretty much equals. It's why Ryan has been compared to Peyton so much in his career. Neither was the most physically gifted QB, but they made up for that physical limitation with their brains. If Matt had spent his entire career in Indianapolis with Tom Moore building an offense around him and empowering him to use his smarts he would have been winning and putting up the numbers that Peyton was putting up. The problem with Ryan is that he has never had an offense build around his strength. There's never been an OC come in and say "hey Matt, this is what we're gonna do, we're gonna have this game plan and then when you're on the field I want you to adjust things according to what the defense is telling you and beat them that way." He's always had stubborn OC's who have forced his hand into playing within the system and not making any changes to the game plan on the fly to take advantage of what the defense is doing. I've heard stories from guys like Joe Montana and Brett Favre where they would call the play in the huddle and then call one of their receivers over and say "instead of doing this I want you to do this instead" and boom TD happens!! I don't know of any time where that has happened with Ryan. Sure it pisses off the coach but the coach gets over it pretty fast because it's a TD and scoring is all that matters. Ryan has never asserted himself like that. I think it's beyond time we give Matt Ryan the flexibility to go out there and change plays on the fly to take advantage of what the defense is doing instead of forcing him to always run the play as it's designed, even if the defense is geared to stop it.

Yeah, Matt Ryan is better than all three. All he needs is a superbowl mVP . That'll catapult him into Brady area. If he gets another pro bowl nod. I would be certain that he the best QB of all time.

54 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

No, he should be compared to Tony Romo and Phillip Rivers. Two very good, and very comparable QBs.

Except that Ryan has had a ton more postseason success than Tony Romo and Philip Rivers. Why do folks ignore that?

freefall, Geneaut, Stryka and 3 others like this

Oh my..I mean if Ray Finkle was our kicker in the SB than he might be in the convo of Marino before Ace Ventura. But Manning..don't disrespect that dude. 

2 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

No, he should be compared to Tony Romo and Phillip Rivers. Two very good, and very comparable QBs.

Ryan is better than Romo.

Romo was a very good QB, but he was also overrated because of the team he played on.

JDaveG, Geneaut and mqg96 like this

3 hours ago, robertap said:

Couldn't say it better

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It's honestly not fair to compare the era Dan Marino and Jim Kelly played in to the era Matt Ryan played in. The first 10 years of Peyton Manning's career was in the same era. The NFL didn't become this super charged outrageous passing league until around 2010. You look at some of the league leaders from the mid 2000s and earlier and those stats would place those guys in the 10ish range now days as far as things like yards, touchdowns and completion percentage goes. Check this out, go back to 2005, there was 1 QB in the entire NFL that year that had 30 TD passes, that was Carson Palmer with 32. Check out how TD passes has gone up since then.

• 2005 = 1
  • 2006 = 1
  • 2007 = 4
  • 2008 = 3
  • 2009 = 4
  • 2010 = 5
  • 2011 = 5
  • 2012 = 5
  • 2013 = 5
  • 2014 = 9
  • 2015 = 11
  • 2016 = 5
  • 2017 = 3
  • 2018 = 9

So, we went from only 1 guy with over 30 TD passes in 2005 and 2006 to it routinely being 5 by 2010 to it being 9, 11 and 9 in recent years. That's because of all the rule changes. Now think a back to Dan Marino, he had years with 48 and 44 TD passes early in his career when most other guys were struggling to reach 20-25 TD passes. That is how much better he was than the rest of the guys he was playing against. Had he played for a better team, he would have had even better numbers and won multiple Super Bowl rings. But fact is, the Dolphins after they drafted Dan Marino sucked and Marino was the only thing keeping them relevant. I don't know what happened to Don Shula by the time Marino arrived but his team building efforts left a lot to be desired. Marino had exactly 1 season where he had a running back rush for 1000 yards, that was at the end of his career when Marino was no longer the guy he was in his prime. He never had a great defense to back him either. He was forced to win games with his arm and he did quite a bit, but then the playoffs would come and it wasn't enough. The Bills owned the Dolphins in the playoffs and they met more than once and Jim Kelly's teams were always better and always won.

I'd say looking at their individual talent levels as players that Marino is top 5 all-time, of the guys I got to see play. Matt Ryan is more talented and a better player than Jim Kelly and I'd like to think if Ryan had teams as loaded as those Bills teams that they would have won at least 1 Super Bowl. I think as far as talent goes, Ryan and Peyton are pretty much equals. It's why Ryan has been compared to Peyton so much in his career. Neither was the most physically gifted QB, but they made up for that physical limitation with their brains. If Matt had spent his entire career in Indianapolis with Tom Moore building an offense around him and empowering him to use his smarts he would have been winning and putting up the numbers that Peyton was putting up. The problem with Ryan is that he has never had an offense build around his strength. There's never been an OC come in and say "hey Matt, this is what we're gonna do, we're gonna have this game plan and then when you're on the field I want you to adjust things according to what the defense is telling you and beat them that way." He's always had stubborn OC's who have forced his hand into playing within the system and not making any changes to the game plan on the fly to take advantage of what the defense is doing. I've heard stories from guys like Joe Montana and Brett Favre where they would call the play in the huddle and then call one of their receivers over and say "instead of doing this I want you to do this instead" and boom TD happens!! I don't know of any time where that has happened with Ryan. Sure it pisses off the coach but the coach gets over it pretty fast because it's a TD and scoring is all that matters. Ryan has never asserted himself like that. I think it's beyond time we give Matt Ryan the flexibility to go out there and change plays on the fly to take advantage of what the defense is doing instead of forcing him to always run the play as it's designed, even if the defense is geared to stop it.

And the greatest qbs of the 80s and 90s have less than a 60% comp.

Falconsfan567 likes this