Cole World

How Dan Quinn would feature a player like Ed Oliver

38 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2019 at 6:36 PM, TrueFalcon316 said:

Dont like it i say we get Cody Ford, he can start from Day 1 at RT or G and be a force he got that nastiness that Quinn was talking about. I know drafting an OL isn't exciting but it's the right move, our OL was bad outside of Mack and Matthews add Ford and it upgrade our offense. I dont think Oliver is even gone to last he is going in the top 10 easily plus i really like Senat think he going to have a big improvement from his rookie year.

Ford is who I’m hoping for.

29 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I think he was misused at Houston. I think you could say the same about Rashan Gary. Both will likely be better pro's

I agree. A lot of people sleep on Rashan Gary but like Takk McKinley, Gary played in a similar read-and-react system that Don Brown ran and didn't get a lot of sacks (Same thing happened to Frank Clark who only had 11 sacks in 4 seasons at Michigan)(Gary 9.5 in 3 seasons). If he drops to 14 (I doubt it) Quinn will be all over him.

“The techniques that he teaches me and just how to rush as a passer, [he’s taught me] a lot of things I didn’t know,” McKinley said of Quinn. “Having that education of pass rushing has been helping, a lot.”

McKinley recorded 16 sacks in his three seasons at UCLA. In the Bruins’ defensive scheme, McKinley operated under a “read-and-react” approach where his speed and athleticism allowed him to get pressure on the passer despite a lot stopping at the line of scrimmage.

This isn’t the case with Atlanta’s scheme. Quinn trains his defensive lineman to attack all the time – all gas, no breaks.

“It’s a big jump from the schemes that some of the colleges play and certainly in the Pac-12 where they use lots of zone-read and lots of stopping at the line of scrimmage,” Quinn said. “It suits them to play square because there are so many zone-read plays in college.”

Ergo Proxy likes this

On 1/19/2019 at 8:08 PM, Cole World said:

Being that Oliver was a dawg against the run, Quinn could feature him at the 5T in base and then shift him to DT in nickel.

Quinn was the one who decided to feature Red Bryant at the 5T in Seattle.

Oliver 6'2 275 would be an upgrade over the 6'3 270 Shelby.

With those hands maybe at Tight End :tiphat:

On 1/19/2019 at 8:42 PM, Falconsin2012 said:

Bottom line, he is better suited to GJ’s role in a 4-3, but he can produce at a high level in every DL position in either a 4-3 or 3-4

This is what we all believe based on his college tape.  I totally agree that he would be a terror more so at the 3 Tech.  This is the NFL.  Just because you played nose and 1 tech in college, doesnt immediately translate to doing it in the NFL with better guys.  I dont know if he is this year's version of Khalil Mack.  Small school guy with all the NFL traits and crazy production.  The only knock is the size.  We will find out this week if he looks the part.  He certainly looks like he can play it.  Would love for him to be our Micheal Bennett or Trey Flowers.

Ergo Proxy and Falcons In 2012 like this

15 minutes ago, Stryka said:

This is what we all believe based on his college tape.  I totally agree that he would be a terror more so at the 3 Tech.  This is the NFL.  Just because you played nose and 1 tech in college, doesnt immediately translate to doing it in the NFL with better guys.  I dont know if he is this year's version of Khalil Mack.  Small school guy with all the NFL traits and crazy production.  The only knock is the size.  We will find out this week if he looks the part.  He certainly looks like he can play it.  Would love for him to be our Micheal Bennett or Trey Flowers.

Also consider he was the only defender in college football facing regular triple teams.  He earned his numbers, small school or not

Smiler11 and Ergo Proxy like this

On 1/22/2019 at 7:10 AM, Cole World said:

It's all about the hand technique.

This this and this.

You can have as much quickness and power as you like but if you can’t use what Donald is describing and putting into practice with the hands forget about it.

Vic Beasley is a prime example of what is needed for him to explode to the next level Hands Hands and more hands.

Oliver the same he has insane agility but you’d like to see more nuanced hand usage.Also another difference I noticed between Oliver and Quinnen Williams is the latter is a much bigger guy but he manages to make himself skinny in tight spaces and disrupts that way by slicing through double teams.

You add up these small things and here is the reason why Oliver is mentioned anywhere from 7-14 where as Williams is a top pick through to about 5.

Oliver will also get tested at the next level against the run.I take all these college ratings against the mentioned in jest because you can best believe at the next level his length and ability to keep NFL OTs out of his chest will be tested.

Cole World likes this

I think we snag Oliver if he is at 14; over any OL on board, as long as we pursue 1 mid-tier FA OL move and a 2nd round OG most likely.

Fix the guards, competion for RT with Ty; unless the plan is Schraeder restructuring to compete. In which case I hope Gono becomes a monster that because a starter by 2020 for us.:ninja:

I’m actually more concerned over VB’s cap hit by the time the deadline comes. That’ll shape our FA more and therefore the draft.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:08 PM, Cole World said:

Being that Oliver was a dawg against the run, Quinn could feature him at the 5T in base and then shift him to DT in nickel.

Quinn was the one who decided to feature Red Bryant at the 5T in Seattle.

Oliver 6'2 275 would be an upgrade over the 6'3 270 Shelby.

Smiler11 and Cole World like this