Cole World

How Dan Quinn would feature a player like Ed Oliver

38 posts in this topic

 

Its possible at times.

 

I heard that Oliver has packed on more weight in preparation for the combine and NFL. He(if drafted by Falcons) and Jarrett(if re-signed or tagged) would make a monster interior duo if Oliver is as advertised.

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

Its possible at times.

 

I heard that Oliver has packed on more weight in preparation for the combine and NFL. He(if drafted by Falcons) and Jarrett(if re-signed or tagged) would make a monster interior duo if Oliver is as advertised.

Bottom line, he is better suited to GJ’s role in a 4-3, but he can produce at a high level in every DL position in either a 4-3 or 3-4

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d honestly trade up to 10-12 to get him if he makes it that far. Wondering how much that move would cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Bottom line, he is better suited to GJ’s role in a 4-3, but he can produce at a high level in every DL position in either a 4-3 or 3-4

I think that's a bit of a misconception to be honest. In our base 4-3, we typically have the strong side DT at the 1 tech and the weakside DT aligned at the 3 tech. However if the strength of the offense were to flip, we don't swap our DT's around they just change their alignments. So in theory our DT's have to be able to play both the 1 tech and 3 tech positions. That's why you'll see Grady play a mixture of both and why he's so valuable to this defense.

That's why a guy like Oliver makes sense. He's lined up anywhere from 0-9 tech in college, and could play a number of spots on our line in both base and nickel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, I feel our trenches needs an infusion of BIG men. Not sure where we rank, but I think our trenches are one if not the lightest in the league.

I like the Oliver pick, I like the Wilkins pick.....but we absolutely get pushed around too much. To me the scheming would be better with some power in the middle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, E. T. said:

First of all, I feel our trenches needs an infusion of BIG men. Not sure where we rank, but I think our trenches are one if not the lightest in the league.

I like the Oliver pick, I like the Wilkins pick.....but we absolutely get pushed around too much. To me the scheming would be better with some power in the middle. 

Same here and why I favor Dexter Lawrence (or similar as I have not watched others beyond highlights) if we go DT at 14.   I think Oliver or Wilkins would give us better pass rush and perhaps more TFLs against some teams but teams that want to line up and run the ball down your throat would likely wear us down.  DQ and staff have tried to manage this liability on our lines by subbing often to keep them fresh but we often just telegraph what we're expecting and end up staying on the field anyway. 

PokerSteve, Vandy and E. T. like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think hes gonna be too light. we need a big guy to push back the pocket so our light de’s can get to the qb. too many times the qb’s just step up amd release the ball. i still want lawrence. he can collapes the pocket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, texasfalconfan said:

i think hes gonna be too light. we need a big guy to push back the pocket so our light de’s can get to the qb. too many times the qb’s just step up amd release the ball. i still want lawrence. he can collapes the pocket. 

No, Oliver is not too light and he can collapse the pocket as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TheJudge said:

Oliver was ours until we beat Tampa.  Now he ain't.

 

Whether we get DL oliver, Lawrence, Simmons, Ferrell or an OL Williams, Little, or Ford, bottom line Falcons gonna get a good player. And they’ll be doing it the right way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont like it i say we get Cody Ford, he can start from Day 1 at RT or G and be a force he got that nastiness that Quinn was talking about. I know drafting an OL isn't exciting but it's the right move, our OL was bad outside of Mack and Matthews add Ford and it upgrade our offense. I dont think Oliver is even gone to last he is going in the top 10 easily plus i really like Senat think he going to have a big improvement from his rookie year.

Edited by TrueFalcon316
atlbaby likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

Mike Nolan is blitz happy guy. 

That liked to blitz LBs and DBs while putting linemen in coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

That liked to blitz LBs and DBs while putting linemen in coverage.

Which worked like charm in 2012. Nolan wasn’t dumb to rush 3, he wanted more people rushing not less. After The LB he had to work with in 2013 and 2014, he chucked off his amoeba defense and went to rushing 4 DL and didn’t blitz.

DQ loves 3 man rush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now