Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons_Frenzy

Scott Wright's 1st 2019 mock draft

51 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Rather have Lawrence or trade up to get Oliver.

Why do you like Oliver? I just can’t seem to love him because of his lack of sacks at the collegiate level. I’m not saying gay college stats are everything, but AD had that type of pass rush production.

9 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Why do you like Oliver? I just can’t seem to love him because of his lack of sacks at the collegiate level. I’m not saying gay college stats are everything, but AD had that type of pass rush production.

What are his straight college stats though?

1 minute ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

I’m not looking up right now. But I recall a bunch of TFLs, but very few sacks. Definitely an active DT. In some of the vids I watched him he missed the QB several times but disrupted pocket. 

Hes light with a fast step, but as of now I can’t say hesam effective pass rushershe’s

AtlantaFanatic likes this

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

I’m not looking up right now. But I recall a bunch of TFLs, but very few sacks. Definitely an active DT. In some of the vids I watched him he missed the QB several times but disrupted pocket. 

Hes light with a fast step, but as of now I can’t say hesam effective pass rushershe’s

You might want to look up, I think the joke is up over your head somewhere. 

14 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

because he was a dominant game breaking player who got a lot of pressure. He has the upside to become a Calais Campbell type player.

MSalmon and Vandy like this

Cody Ford has great size and some abilities.  My only issue with him is his athleticism.  I think Dirk Koetter likes to have 2 huge tackles judging from his days with the bucs, so that may change 

44 minutes ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

2018 - 14.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 9 hurries

2017 - 16.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 7 hurries

2016 - 22 TFL, 5 sacks, 7 hurries

These stats are actually really good. Not sure where he looked tbh. Also take into consideration how much he was being doubled after his breakout Freshmen season. 

17 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

2018 - 14.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 9 hurries

2017 - 16.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 7 hurries

2016 - 22 TFL, 5 sacks, 7 hurries

These stats are actually really good. Not sure where he looked tbh. Also take into consideration how much he was being doubled after his breakout Freshmen season. 

Compare to Donald’s stats—the guy he’s being compared to those are pedestrian numbers. Donald had 29.5 sacks and 66 TFL. Now keep in mind Donald is the closest comp in his size range and were talking about a top 15 pick. 

Also Donald played against much stouter opponents. I do like Oliver’s first step and many of his attributes, but that college production is rather pedestrian for a way undersized tackle in a weak conference

Donakd was getting triple teamed in his fantastic senior season.

are college stats everything? Nope. But production, size and other measurables factor into evaluating a pick this high

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

Oliver was triple teamed much of the year.  No joke.  I think it wore him down by the 7th game when he first started cramping.  Triple team every play would be exhausting...lol 

They pretty much double teamed me the whole game. That's becoming the normal every single play, double- and triple-team blocks." – Ed Oliver

Edited by Falconsin2012

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Oliver was triple teamed much of the year.  No joke 

So was Donald. Again, I’m not saying the kid isn’t talented but we’re talking a top 15–maybe top 10 pick. I think he played at 275 pounds. 

There is a lot I like about his game, but for every Aaron Donald there are many undersized quick guys who end up ok at best in nfl. 

Olivers lack of sacks bug me more than Donald due to level of competition.

Just now, MSalmon said:

Compare to Donald’s stats—the guy he’s being compared to those are pedestrian numbers. Donald had 29.5 sacks and 66 TFL. Now keep in mind Donald is the closest comp in his size range and were talking about a top 15 pick. 

Also Donald played against much stouter opponents. I do like Oliver’s first step and many of his attributes, but that college production is rather pedestrian for a way undersized tackle in a weak conference.

I think you’re looking into stats too much. Donald was a freak. Totally different hemisphere. College production is important, but looking at just stats is dangerous. Fletcher Cox had 7.5 sacks in his college career, does that mean he sucked?

JA98 had a ton of college sacks, does that mean he was good? I can rattle off a ton of names of players who got the stats, but sucked. 

1 minute ago, A-TowN.- said:

I think you’re looking into stats too much. Donald was a freak. Totally different hemisphere. College production is important, but looking at just stats is dangerous. Fletcher Cox had 7.5 sacks in his college career, does that mean he sucked?

JA98 had a ton of college sacks, does that mean he was good? I can rattle off a ton of names of players who got the stats, but sucked. 

Remember Peria Jerry? He had comparable stats and similar play. Another thing of note was a knee injury that sidelined Oliver for four games. Donald was an iron man.

again, this is a top 15 DT with knee injury this year, lack of size and very few sacks against cream puff opponents. 

Obviously the combine will reveal a lot including medical issues, his speed and explosiveness. I’ve watched him a lot. I like his first step, he hustles but I don’t see a very refined pass rusher. I see a guy getting by on athleticism. The NFL is a whole different beast.

That said, if we get him I’ll root for him.

Sorta related but why are we all looking at an undersized 3Tech when we have Jarrett already? 

12 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

So was Donald. Again, I’m not saying the kid isn’t talented but we’re talking a top 15–maybe top 10 pick. I think he played at 275 pounds. 

There is a lot I like about his game, but for every Aaron Donald there are many undersized quick guys who end up ok at best in nfl. 

Olivers lack of sacks bug me more than Donald due to level of competition.

You can only compare their 1st 3 years:

Donald had 18 sacks and 37 TFL

Oliver had 16 sacks and 53 TFL

And Donald never faced regular triple teams.  Love this quote from Oliver

How do you counter getting consistently double- and triple-teamed by opponents?
The only way you're beating three people is with perfect technique. You gotta have a little edge, a little dog about you. That comes from how you train your body and your mind in the offseason. I need to work out as hard as three people.

Edited by Falconsin2012

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

Compare their 1st 3 years:

Donald had 18 sacks and 37 TFL

Oliver had 16 sacks and 53 TFL

And Donald never faced regular triple teams

What? What a horse shat comparison. Donald barely played in his freshman year. Lol

and obviously you never watched him play with the last comment. 

I get it you’ve got a draft crush. If we get him I hope you’re right. But this reply is hilarious. What was Oliver’s high in sacks again? 5.5 right? Compared to two seasons of major college production of 11 sacks by Donald.

4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Simmons Ford wow Wilkins ok I can live with that.

But as of now Cody Fords my guy for the Falcons pick at 14.

Mine too i can live with wilkins or oliver..but i really need to see atlanta fortify the o-line

kiwifalcon and JDaveG like this