ike barn87987

Falcons lose clock management assistant

63 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

So what's a clock management assistant. First time I've heard of that

It was a newly created position to help Quinn out with clock management and replays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how long this guy was here or if he was ultimately responsible for the Falcons blown leads lately, but I'm all in for getting Dan Quinn a much better clock manager.

 

Matt Ryan was great at clock management the first 5 years of his career with Turner and Gonazelez, but outside very few games he has not been that same guy when the game has been very tight. Part of the blame is for the O-line not getting a yard or our defense not stopping teams towards the end too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

So it’s who the announcers refer to as “the guys upstairs “

Man, they need to hire me. I used to handle the clock like a boss when I played madden back in the day LOL.

ya_boi_j likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

So it’s who the announcers refer to as “the guys upstairs “

Nope. The "guys upstairs" they always talk about are usually the teams own video replay people... who can look at a play and get in the HC's headset to tell him if there is a call he should or shouldn't challenge.

Some teams have a dedicated clock management person, but many don't at all because the HC figures they can just handle it themselves.

We were in that category, and Kyle Flood was with the team, but not serving as the clock management guy until about a week or two ago when DQ realized he should leave that stuff to someone else... especially since he's going to be calling the D himself now, too... and promoted Flood to the role of clock manager.

When a HC does have someone else handling that stuff it seems it is usually tacked on to the role of one of the coordinators or assistants, and not often a dedicated role. For example, our former ST coordinator Joe DeCamillis has simultaneously served as both the clock management guy and the ST coordination during his time with a few other teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, slick0ne said:

Man, they need to hire me. I used to handle the clock like a boss when I played madden back in the day LOL.

I legitimately think that some Madden Pros actually possess the skills to be exceptional clock/game managers. Games take a relatively short amount of time you, you end up playing hundreds more permutations of football situations than any real life coach could. 

The playbooks are a million times simpler, but situational football is still the same.

slick0ne and m2Falcons like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, slick0ne said:

Man, they need to hire me. I used to handle the clock like a boss when I played madden back in the day LOL.

lol

26 minutes ago, k-train said:

Nope. The "guys upstairs" they always talk about are usually the teams own video replay people... who can look at a play and get in the HC's headset to tell him if there is a call he should or shouldn't challenge.

Some teams have a dedicated clock management person, but many don't at all because the HC figures they can just handle it themselves.

We were in that category, and Kyle Flood was with the team, but not serving as the clock management guy until about a week or two ago when DQ realized he should leave that stuff to someone else... especially since he's going to be calling the D himself now, too... and promoted Flood to the role of clock manager.

When a HC does have someone else handling that stuff it seems it is usually tacked on to the role of one of the coordinators or assistants, and not often a dedicated role. For example, our former ST coordinator Joe DeCamillis has simultaneously served as both the clock management guy and the ST coordination during his time with a few other teams.

well dang. never knew. good ****

k-train likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now