Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons_Frenzy

Mock draft by CBS Chris Trapasso

73 posts in this topic

Every mock draft out there wants to give us Oliver. When we were top 5-10 it was Oliver. Now at 14 it's still Oliver. If we had fallen to 20 it would be Oliver. No matter how far we slide he just seems to follow us. I'd rather have Simmons or even Ford and I'm not as high on Ford as others.

MSalmon, Falcon Blitz and ramonezy like this

6 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

Man, now you got me second guessing my Oliver pick. Ford would be great too.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind Oliver at all he’s an athletic freak but to me right now he’s a one trick pony.His hand usage isn’t up to scratch in my eyes and relies too much on power which has its advantages.At the next level you know how this goes he’ll get neutralised.

From what I’ve seen of Ford the only thing I worry about is if he turns out like Greg Robinson big physical but doesn’t translate to the next level.Upside is when I watch Ford is he’s so physical he tries to take your heart every play when he gets his hands on you he finishes you and I mean finishes you drops that 340 on you when he falls over.I like that lol.

MSalmon and PokerSteve like this

I like Oliver as a player but, I just don't see him as what we need. In my book he's a 3 tech all day long and one that I see as having a big learning curve on arrival. I think we need a 1 who can provide a passrush as well.  If we don't have a solid 1 then Grady is the 1 and in doing that you've diminished his ability to be as impact as he can be. 

Give me Wilkins or Simmons 

VTCrunkler likes this

10 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

I like Oliver as a player but, I just don't see him as what we need. In my book he's a 3 tech all day long and one that I see as having a big learning curve on arrival. I think we need a 1 who can provide a passrush as well.  If we don't have a solid 1 then Grady is the 1 and in doing that you've diminished his ability to be as impact as he can be. 

Give me Wilkins or Simmons 

Wilkins would play the same position as Oliver tho....

atljbo, Artys Arryn and A-TowN.- like this

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind Oliver at all he’s an athletic freak but to me right now he’s a one trick pony.His hand usage isn’t up to scratch in my eyes and relies too much on power which has its advantages.At the next level you know how this goes he’ll get neutralised.

From what I’ve seen of Ford the only thing I worry about is if he turns out like Greg Robinson big physical but doesn’t translate to the next level.Upside is when I watch Ford is he’s so physical he tries to take your heart every play when he gets his hands on you he finishes you and I mean finishes you drops that 340 on you when he falls over.I like that lol.

I'm with you, bro. Don't just beat the man across from you, demoralize him. I'll take fast and savage over fast and physical every day of the week and twice on Sunday afternoons.

HouseofEuphoria likes this

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

I'm with you, bro. Don't just beat the man across from you, demoralize him. I'll take fast and savage over fast and physical every day of the week and twice on Sunday afternoons.

I like these 2 OU boyz on the right side pretty solid pass or run.

ATLSlobberKnockers and Vandy like this

3 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Wilkins would play the same position as Oliver tho....

not sure what  you're saying so,Here's what's in my head. To run our scheme you need an effective/tenacious 3. You also need a 1 who can double-gap and take on doubles, a big plus is if he can help in the pass-rush as well. Grady can do it all but, the place where he can do the most damage is at 3. If Oliver is also a 3 (I believe Oliver would get run-over at 1) then either DS or GJ has to be 1. Simmons can do both and Wilkins is a true 1 that can give occasional pass-rush help. Ultimately, I want a guy who can do both.

UPDATE: Crud! my bad, got him confused with Dexter Lawrence. oops.

Edited by The O.D.B
PokerSteve likes this

5 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I don’t mind the pick but I’m taking Cody Ford in this scenario.

Im on the ford train and not getting off.if hes on the board we need to take him.

RING OF HONOR and Vandy like this

Gonna depend on what we do in free agency. Tankers better be ready if Ed Oliver drops to us and we pass for an OL or CB. Dimi already said we're going need this year. Hopefully his last draft. Still think a TATF draft crew would have blown him outta the water over the last eleven years. Me, KoG, Fat, Vel, GDawg and a couple others would have gotten it done. For free. Buddy was not the roster builder TATF thought he was. Trust me.

egoprime II and putnam6 like this

5 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I don’t mind the pick but I’m taking Cody Ford in this scenario.

That's my pick as well...him with a FA tackle and we good

Wilkins might still be on the board in the second

40 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Gonna depend on what we do in free agency. Tankers better be ready if Ed Oliver drops to us and we pass for an OL or CB. Dimi already said we're going need this year. Hopefully his last draft. Still think a TATF draft crew would have blown him outta the water over the last eleven years. Me, KoG, Fat, Vel, GDawg and a couple others would have gotten it done. For free. Buddy was not the roster builder TATF thought he was. Trust me.

LOL...spoken like a true armchair GM! I say this draft you post live draft picks as the Falcons are on the clock, would love to see how your picks pan out! Of course you could be a genius or you could be humbled without the great vision of hindsight.

falconsd56 and Falconsin2012 like this

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You can’t fault the last 4 drafts.  TD & Quinn have drafted 16 starters the last 4 years. Almost unheard of success rate for the NFL draft

12 hours ago, Cheyakita said:

LOL...spoken like a true armchair GM! I say this draft you post live draft picks as the Falcons are on the clock, would love to see how your picks pan out! Of course you could be a genius or you could be humbled without the great vision of hindsight.

Love this idea for all of us.  Just a running thread that each member updated each time Falcons are on the clock.  

Would be fun to revisit every once in a while.  Mine would be amusing as I’m completely unqualified to critique anything outside the SEC.  

On 1/18/2019 at 5:19 PM, kiwifalcon said:

I like these 2 OU boyz on the right side pretty solid pass or run.

I would only take Ford if we transition to power gap.  6’4, 335 lbs  he bullies people in the run game but struggles in space.  Not an ideal ZBS tackle.  Still not great in pass pro against speed rushers which is why he is in 1/4 crouch I assume

I would pass quite honestly

I know PFF isn’t the best measure of everything, but they watch every snap.  Of all the 2019 Draft Prospects who played in the College Football Playoffs (just 4 teams), they graded Ford  24th best

Edited by Falconsin2012
Tim Mazetti likes this

14 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I would only take Ford if we transition to power gap.  6’4, 335 lbs  he bullies people in the run game but struggles in space.  Not an ideal ZBS tackle.  Still not great in pass pro.  

I would pass quite honestly

I know PFF isn’t the best measure of everything, but they watch every snap.  Of all the 2019 Draft Prospects who played in the College Football Playoffs (just 4 teams), they graded Ford  24th best

How the heck ddI they score him that low? He’s actually got nice feet for a big guy. I know @kiwifalcon has watched him a lot, as have I. I’d draft him as a G btw where he’d be fine in a ZBS. Most teams run a blend of both anyway. Ones lateral , ones north and south. I think Shanny is one of the last that is almost exclusively zbs. I may be wrong but I think Koetter ran a blend here and in tampa

besides the sooners ran angle schemes and he was on the move quite a bit there. Certainly, not an Alabama punch you in the mouth scheme

im not busting on pff but that score doesn’t match the take of many scouts and I don’t see some of those things when I watch him. 24th? That seems ridiculously low.

have you watched him play? Like sat and really watched him? He’s incredibly athletic and has a powerful punch.

I have and the only big thing that bugs me is that he doesn’t fully crouch at Oklahoma. The way the OL bend is kinda 1/4 crouch.  I’m curious what his flexibility is and can he get lower to the ground in the NFL and be effective.

Falconsin2012 likes this

9 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

How the heck ddI they score him that low? He’s actually got nice feet for a big guy. I know @kiwifalcon has watched him a lot, as have I. I’d draft him as a G btw where he’d be fine in a ZBS. Most teams run a blend of both anyway. Ones lateral , ones north and south. I think Shanny is one of the last that is almost exclusively zbs. I may be wrong but I think Koetter ran a blend here and in tampa

im not busting on pff but that score doesn’t match the take of many scouts and I don’t see some of those things when I watch him. 24th? That seems ridiculously low.

have you watched him play? Like sat and really watched him? I have and the only big thing that bugs me is that he doesn’t fully crouch at Oklahoma. The way the OL bend is kinda 1/4 crouch.  I’m curious what his flexibility is and can he get lower to the ground in the NFL and be effective.

I’ve watched him and like him as a prospect. If we are strict ZBS again this year I’d pass.  In man, I love him.  And Inagree about moving him inside

MSalmon likes this

Man, if we have the chance to take Ed Oliver and pass, the hindsight on this board is going to be hilarious. Oliver is a dynamic player who will be pro bowl caliber essentially on day 1. The only reason he has fallen is that he's been hyped up for so long and this DT class is absolutely stacked (oh and the stupid jacket fiasco). I like Simmons and Wilkins a lot (Willing slightly more) but if Oliver is on the board, TD better be sprinting to the podium with his card. Not only would he be BPA but he is BPA at a position of need regardless of what happens in FA.