Sidecar Falcon

If Kyler Murray makes it to the 14th pick...

55 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

supposedly he's 5'9 7/8...guess we'll find out at the combine

Yeah betting I'm closer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

supposedly he's 5'9 7/8...guess we'll find out at the combine

That would still make him the shortest qb in the nfl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

And he has star power.  It only takes 1...

 

34 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

He’s talented, I’ll give him that. However he’ll need to have the right offensive scheme working with him in order to be successful. He’s definitely a playmaker. His measurables will have a huge impact on his draft stock. Initial reports have him listed as 5’9”. If he’s any smaller he may drop out of the first 3 rounds. 

 

His combine measurables will be very important. The closer he is to 5'10 would be better. Many say he's about 5'8ish, but college mesurables can always be deceiving.

 

Whomever drafts him and the structure they have in place for him would be the most important. Russell Wilson was limited to being a game manager while being protected by a really good run game and defense his first few years in the NFL. I think the same structure should be followed with Murray.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

This is one of the reasons why I think the Raiders may be willing to move up to get him. 

 

Especially with their move to Vegas coming soon. They'll have a season or two to bring Murray along, but not sure if Murray fits what Gruden wants.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

 

His combine measurables will be very important. The closer he is to 5'10 would be better. Many say he's about 5'8ish, but college mesurables can always be deceiving.

 

Whomever drafts him and the structure they have in place for him would be the most important. Russell Wilson was limited to being a game manager while being protected by a really good run game and defense his first few years in the NFL. I think the same structure should be followed with Murray.

Apparently the Oakland A’s had his measurables at 5’9”. I think he has the tools to be a good player, if he’s in the right system. I think his speed will be what teams fall in love with. Playmakers at the QB position are hard to come by. If he were to drafted by a team who could sit him for a year or two so he could learn the game. I think he’d be a deadly QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Call me crazy and I'm a MR2 fan but if KM was there at 14 it would be tempted to grab him for our future and/or trade considerations. The guy is 5'9 7/8 and could be the next Russell Wilson. This cat has value and could be very very special....and then there's a risk factor - he chooses baseball or maybe his height won't allow him to be great. Prolly too much of a gamble.....but it still makes one think what if

It's not guaranteed he still has passion to play or the same skill set after sitting on the bench the next 4-5 years. this isn't the same era Rodgers came in. These guys don't come in to sit anymore. I don't think it would be worth the risk at all.

citsalp likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

This ^^

No one immediately behind us except maybe Washington would take him. There is probably a better opportunity for someone interested to make a deal with a team with a lower pick than ours and give up less.... if a deal even needs to be done at all. I really don't see much opportunity for trading #14 to someone wanting Murray. If Washington wants him, they take him at the #15 because we aren't taking him.

I wouldn't say that. I could see the Chargers drafting a QB to groom behind Philip Rivers and Murray definitely will need to sit a while. That would be a great situation for him to go into. Same can be said with the Patriots. Neither team has what they feel is a long-term successor on the roster.

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

It's not guaranteed he still has passion to play or the same skill set after sitting on the bench the next 4-5 years. this isn't the same era Rodgers came in. These guys don't come in to sit anymore. I don't think it would be worth the risk at all.

Just because they don't doesn't mean they shoudn't. There are guys that the plan was for them to sit and learn like Lamar Jackson, and I totally agreed with that. But Flacco got hurt and forced the Ravens hands. If Murray plays right away it will be a total cluster****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murray will be a first round pick for sure. I can see the Redskins, Bengals, Dolphins, and the Jags taking a chance on him. Even teams with aging QBs might take a look at him like the Steelers or Chargers. 

I think players like Mahomes and Wilson (arm strength and athleticism) have made Murray more appealing to the NFL. 

I only see a trade up happening with us if the Steelers or Chargers (maybe even Pats) want to jump Washington. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Just because they don't doesn't mean they shoudn't. There are guys that the plan was for them to sit and learn like Lamar Jackson, and I totally agreed with that. But Flacco got hurt and forced the Ravens hands. If Murray plays right away it will be a total cluster****.

Problem is Jackson wasn't ready for the NFL. I can't think of 1 scrambling QB who has entered the NFL ready to be that guy. If we're going to compare the 2, Murray is much more NFL ready than Jackson was. I don't really care about his height. If you're good enough, you'll find a way to work around that.

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry but this is kind of ridiculous for him to be even remotely considered that high in the draft. There is no way I would invest in him at 14th, he is a project and a risk in the NFL, but because of Russell Wilson once in a blue moon success we now think he can be the next version of him. I just do not see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Problem is Jackson wasn't ready for the NFL. I can't think of 1 scrambling QB who has entered the NFL ready to be that guy. If we're going to compare the 2, Murray is much more NFL ready than Jackson was. I don't really care about his height. If you're good enough, you'll find a way to work around that.

Jackson wasn't ready for the NFL and I said that before the draft last year that he needed to sit. And I don't think Murray is NFL ready either. He's not Baker Mayfield. He's not gonna come in and start lighting the world on fire. Has nothing to do with his height. I think Murray is a great college QB. I don't think he's a franchise NFL guy. I see Johnny Manziel 2.0 in him and Tua. Guys who were tremendous college QBs but not cut out for the NFL because of their style of play. They don't play within a system. They play backyard football and you can get away with that in college but the NFL eats that stuff alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Never said anything about the Falcons selecting him. What were you reading? LOL

TBH, BEFORE I ACTUALLY TOOK THE TIME TO READ YOUR POST, I was gonna say something like that. 

But I actually read what you wrote first. B)

Sidecar Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

It's not guaranteed he still has passion to play or the same skill set after sitting on the bench the next 4-5 years. this isn't the same era Rodgers came in. These guys don't come in to sit anymore. I don't think it would be worth the risk at all.

I’m with ya, but what if he came in and got the opportunity to play and was as good or better than RW....he wouldn’t have to sit 4-5 yrs. We could trade  him or MR with some serious value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think any team would offer much for the pick except to jump in front of someone else.  So we'd need at least 2 teams interested.

TD has already said QB is off the board in the 1st, as it should be.  Teams know we aren't taking them.  The only reason to trade with us is to keep another team from getting him AND if they're having trouble getting a trade with a team with a lower pick that is still ahead of said team.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Apparently the Oakland A’s had his measurables at 5’9”. I think he has the tools to be a good player, if he’s in the right system. I think his speed will be what teams fall in love with. Playmakers at the QB position are hard to come by. If he were to drafted by a team who could sit him for a year or two so he could learn the game. I think he’d be a deadly QB. 

He'll likely work better in a spread system where he can use his feet to create throwing lanes like Brees does.  But Brees, and Vick, and other "short" QBs are all in the six-foot range.  If this kid is truly 5'9", he's going to have a lot to overcome at this level.  It's not impossible -- he's really talented.  But he's behind the 8-ball.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I wouldn't say that. I could see the Chargers drafting a QB to groom behind Philip Rivers and Murray definitely will need to sit a while. That would be a great situation for him to go into. Same can be said with the Patriots. Neither team has what they feel is a long-term successor on the roster.

The Patriots might want to take a chance and might think they could find a use for him while seeing if he can cut it as a QB, but they are absolutely not trading up to get him. 

I don't know the Chargers thoughts but I could see them being willing to just hang out and see who falls to their current pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheUsualStuff said:

The Patriots might want to take a chance and might think they could find a use for him while seeing if he can cut it as a QB, but they are absolutely not trading up to get him. 

I don't know the Chargers thoughts but I could see them being willing to just hang out and see who falls to their current pick.

Yeah. I wasn't saying that they would trade up to get him. I was just saying that I could see Murray landing with them.

TheUsualStuff likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Jackson wasn't ready for the NFL and I said that before the draft last year that he needed to sit. And I don't think Murray is NFL ready either. He's not Baker Mayfield. He's not gonna come in and start lighting the world on fire. Has nothing to do with his height. I think Murray is a great college QB. I don't think he's a franchise NFL guy. I see Johnny Manziel 2.0 in him and Tua. Guys who were tremendous college QBs but not cut out for the NFL because of their style of play. They don't play within a system. They play backyard football and you can get away with that in college but the NFL eats that stuff alive.

I'm not going to say he isn't a franchise guy. Baker Mayfield is good but he made more than enough mistakes this year to show that he isn't the perfect QB. Manziel was never good. He beat Bama and the world went completely stupid. for no reason. I don't watch Bama football so I honestly don't know much about Tua at all. But Manziel was a run first guy. Kyler will run if needed, just like RW. Given the right situation he will be good to go.

18 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

I’m with ya, but what if he came in and got the opportunity to play and was as good or better than RW....he wouldn’t have to sit 4-5 yrs. We could trade  him or MR with some serious value. 

Your scenario was with the Falcons drafting him. He's not coming in as a starter with the Falcons and the Falcons are not trading MR. If you're just going to trade him away, there's no point in wasting #14 on him

JDaveG and Falconsfan567 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'm not going to say he isn't a franchise guy. Baker Mayfield is good but he made more than enough mistakes this year to show that he isn't the perfect QB. Manziel was never good. He beat Bama and the world went completely stupid. for no reason. I don't watch Bama football so I honestly don't know much about Tua at all. But Manziel was a run first guy. Kyler will run if needed, just like RW. Given the right situation he will be good to go.

Your scenario was with the Falcons drafting him. He's not coming in as a starter with the Falcons and the Falcons are not trading MR. If you're just going to trade him away, there's no point in wasting #14 on him

Who would you rather have RW or MR...thats my point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Who would you rather have RW or MR...thats my point

Well I have openly stated through the years Russ was my favorite in the league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murray is 5’9 with no haircut for a year and standing on a kiddie step stool. He won’t be a 1st round pick i dont care what anyone says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really comes down if he is all in on football or is going to jump ship to baseball.  A lot of people think he only signed up for the draft just to create leverage to get the A’s to pay him a 15mil signing bonus.  As of now he only received 4-5mil as a signing bonus, a pick around ours would net him somewhere around 19mil.  But if he has to sit behind a vet for a couple years, he likely jets to go play baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now