FalconsIn2012

Bevell Didn’t Make Final Decision: SB 49

25 posts in this topic

Just heard an interesting tidbit.  Tavares Jackson was the backup QB for Seattle in SB 49.  He was discussing Bevell going to Detroit as OC.  He said the much scrutinized Seahawks INT wasn’t Bevell’s call.  It was an RPO and Wilson ultimately made the final decision to throw.  Never heard that before

Kinda feel bad for Bevell.  That play tarnished what was turning into an incredible resume.

Edited by Falconsin2012

2 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

If I'm being honest, calling an RPO there was just as stupid.

I agree. But Carroll wanted a pass in the 1st 2 downs do he could use all his downs if need be.  

6 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I agree. But Carroll wanted a pass in the 1st 2 downs do he could use all his downs if need be.  

It was a bad call made worse by a bad throw. Russ needs to keep that ball low to ensure only his guy can make a play. But still, he had enough time to run once and throw 3 times imo. 

2 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

It was a bad call made worse by a bad throw. Russ needs to keep that ball low to ensure only his guy can make a play. But still, he had enough time to run once and throw 3 times imo. 

Lockett was weak attacking the ball, too.  Don’t use your 4th receiving option in that spot

15 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

My thought as well.

20 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

Why? it could've easily been a run play up the middle. It was the QB's responsibility to read the play and he didn't. I wanted Bevel more than Koetter, lets hope DK was the right choice.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

2 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Why? it could've easily been a run play up the middle. It was the QB's responsibility to read the play and he didn't. I wanted Bevel more than Koetter, lets hope DK was the right choice.

Bevell was my preference as well.  He has done more with less.  But Koetter can get the job done

Osiruz likes this

The double standard on this board is hilarious. If this had happened to the Falcons, it would have been all Ryan’s fault because he made the wrong read. According to many on this board, the Super Bowl is Ryan’s fault because he didn’t overrule the coaching staff.

If it is another QB’s fault, then it has to be the playvaller.

Osiruz likes this

1 hour ago, osiruz said:

Because when you have Lynch in that situation, you let him win you the game. No trickery or fancy-pants plays needed. That play call was a pure example of an OC outsmarting themselves.

5 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

Because when you have Lynch in that situation, you let him win you the game. No trickery or fancy-pants plays needed. That play call was a pure example of an OC outsmarting themselves.

Which is exactly what happened RW had to pick between Lynch and the WR. He made the wrong choice.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

15 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Which is exactly what happened RW had to pick between Lynch and the WR. He made the wrong choice.

And to be fair, NE was set up to stop the run.

For those who argue that Seahawks should have run the ball, where would you have liked them to run it? There are eight defenders in the box against six blockers, and they have leverage based on alignment against a possible inside zone from shotgun.

Here’s what Wilson saw at the time. There’s nowhere to run.

(Defenders circled in yellow are in man coverage.)

Screen_Shot_2018_06_04_at_3.17.02_PM.png

Passing the ball was the best option in this situation. Against man coverage, a pick play was a sound choice.

There is a fair argument to be made that Seattle could have called a different pass play, to one of its more experienced options. However, given this pre-snap look, Wilson had to expect possible zero coverage, where everyone who’s not guarding an offensive player in a route is rushing the passer. That doesn’t leave much time for much of a route concept. This play, in theory, is a great press man coverage beater.

Defense just won the rep 

Edited by Falconsin2012
Dirtybird56 and Osiruz like this

22 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

There are eight defenders in the box against six blockers, and they have leverage based on alignment against a possible inside zone from shotgun.

Passing the ball was the best option in this situation. Against man coverage, a pick play was a sound choice.

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

And to be fair, NE was set up to stop the run.

For those who argue that Seahawks should have run the ball, where would you have liked them to run it? There are eight defenders in the box against six blockers, and they have leverage based on alignment against a possible inside zone from shotgun.

There is a fair argument to be made that Seattle could have called a different pass play, to one of its more experienced options. However, given this pre-snap look, Wilson had to expect possible zero coverage, where everyone who’s not guarding an offensive player in a route is rushing the passer. That doesn’t leave much time for much of a route concept. This play, in theory, is a great press man coverage beater.

Defense just won the rep 

Good analysis, I put the blame on the WR mostly. If you get beat to the ball on a slant route then it's because you are sorry and didn't put in much effort. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Just now, osiruz said:

Good analysis, I put the blame on the WR mostly. If you get beat to the ball on a slat route then it's because you are sorry and didn't put in much effort. 

Lockett needs to attack the ball.  Regardless, I would not have thrown over the middle.  I’d have used a TO, brought in a 6th offensive lineman and two TE’s and tried to win with muscle.  

Downside of ZBS blocking scheme...it’s not meant for that kind of smashmouth play

Osiruz likes this

There was not that much time left, we only had one timeout left. Bevell said to coach..pass play, coach said yes. Time was going too fast and we needed one more play as it was 2nd down. Stopping the clock if we missed would have saved the timeout for emergencies. Brandon Browner knew the set because he had been on the team before and motioned for Butler to beat the press. Browner had inside info from being on the team previously as a Cornerback seeing the play in practices. Dont know exactly the condition of the players involved, Lockette and Baldwin, but suspect they were getting winded. There were other pass plays to call that would have worked, that was not the one I would have called. The box was stacked as you all posed above. I would have called a rollout right pass back to beastmode for the run in for the win. But he would have gotten player of the game and that did not sit right with the league. Methinks. I even have SB XLAX recorded if I want to feel misery again. I just dont at this time. Heck it may be a disc on a string sometime soon to keep the birds away from my fruit. I dunno. 

Osiruz and FalconsIn2012 like this

1 hour ago, SeahawkFan80 said:

There was not that much time left, we only had one timeout left. Bevell said to coach..pass play, coach said yes. Time was going too fast and we needed one more play as it was 2nd down. Stopping the clock if we missed would have saved the timeout for emergencies. Brandon Browner knew the set because he had been on the team before and motioned for Butler to beat the press. Browner had inside info from being on the team previously as a Cornerback seeing the play in practices. Dont know exactly the condition of the players involved, Lockette and Baldwin, but suspect they were getting winded. There were other pass plays to call that would have worked, that was not the one I would have called. The box was stacked as you all posed above. I would have called a rollout right pass back to beastmode for the run in for the win. But he would have gotten player of the game and that did not sit right with the league. Methinks. I even have SB XLAX recorded if I want to feel misery again. I just dont at this time. Heck it may be a disc on a string sometime soon to keep the birds away from my fruit. I dunno. 

At least you got 1.  Belichick outsmarted Carroll.  Everyone, myself included, screamed for BB to use a TO.  Let em score to secure time for Brady.  But Belichick believes his preparation is better than the other guy.  

It’s so strange they worked on that exact play in their final walkthrough.  The exact play

SeahawkFan80 and Osiruz like this

2 hours ago, osiruz said:

Good analysis, I put the blame on the WR mostly. If you get beat to the ball on a slat route then it's because you are sorry and didn't put in much effort. 

I’d love to see you as coach of a team..  You are tough on these guys...lol.  You’d have a thin roster after cutting so many players, but they’d be tough and on point...

Osiruz likes this

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

There are eight defenders in the box against six blockers, and they have leverage based on alignment against a possible inside zone from shotgun.

He called the play that put them in this alignment, hence why I said the RPO playcall was stupid.  You call a timeout here and come back with your goalline set and pound that ***** in.

4 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

He called the play that put them in this alignment, hence why I said the RPO playcall was stupid.  You call a timeout here and come back with your goalline set and pound that ***** in.

No, NE’s alignment kept Seattle in 11 personnel.  

But I do agree about calling timeout, bringing in a 6th lineman & 2 blocking TE’s to try and pound it in

Osiruz likes this

2 hours ago, SeahawkFan80 said:

What did you think about Tavares Jackson saying that play was an RPO and Wilson madetge decision at the line...did y’all know that?

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’d love to see you as coach of a team..  You are tough on these guys...lol.  You’d have a thin roster after cutting so many players, but they’d be tough and on point...

Honestly I would be a lot like Mike Smith disciplined and on point, but I would want my OC to be creative, and my Dline to be among the best in the league.

15 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

What did you think about Tavares Jackson saying that play was an RPO and Wilson madetge decision at the line...did y’all know that?

I had never heard this at all. I could scour our board but it usually ends up with a bad taste in our mouth. Not a great thought for me at all...but I shall try. Maybe I should shack it just to allow all the picturesque verbage run free. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

7 minutes ago, SeahawkFan80 said:

I had never heard this at all. I could scour our board but it usually ends up with a bad taste in our mouth. Not a great thought for me at all...but I shall try. Maybe I should shack it just to allow all the picturesque verbage run free. 

I like your style, bud.

I just heard it yesterday on Foxsports Gottlieb show.  It was from a discussion with Tavaris...I’d never heard it before either

Edited by Falconsin2012
SeahawkFan80 likes this

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I like your style, bud.

I just heard it yesterday on Foxsports Gottlieb show.  It was from a discussion with Tavaris...I’d never heard it before either

Tavaris Jackson is full of ****. It was a pass call all the way. Pete Carroll has said on multiple occasions that he told Bevell to call a pass play. An interview with Marshawn a few months ago that question was posed to him. He said that when Russell called out the play in the huddle everybody turned and looked at him wondering why in the **** Marshawn wasn't getting the ball. "THIS IS WHAT I HEARD TOO. FAN80" (me)

FalconsIn2012 likes this