Geneaut

5 possible Atlanta Falcons roster cuts to keep an eye on

122 posts in this topic

I may be naïve but are there no FA DEs available to replace Beasley for 13 million a year or a little more whose production is better than Beasley's? Or use Beasley's 12.8 million to pay for another position(DT or OL) in Free Agency and draft a DE. I do not have players in mind.

thanat0s likes this

On 21/01/2019 at 6:47 AM, kiwifalcon said:

He won’t get paid top $$$$$$ though this is the thing.If you pay him like a situational guy and structure correctly his contract isn’t an issue.

If he wants top dollar you let him test the market no issues with that.What we can’t do is go into a season light on pass rush.

With regards to the draft if you think there’s a guy as good as Beasley in the draft then you look at moving him on if not you keep him.

For me Beasley is still a 6-10 plus sack guy.

I don’t want to take that away from a defense that is hardly getting there in the first place.We also rush 4 a lot with the guys you have on the roster in pass situations Beasley is one of those four guys who can still get there.

I’m not saying we get rid of Beaseley. I’m saying don’t pay him the monster contract some idiot team will pay based on one 16 sack year when teams were chasing huge Shanny score lines and he was allowed to run free from the edge. And I don’t think we can afford to draft a DE high as we need to concentrate on DT, OT and OG this year. Can’t we resign him to the one year tender (rent before you buy season)

Vandy and kiwifalcon like this

On 1/20/2019 at 4:18 PM, Bigbenright said:

I may be naïve but are there no FA DEs available to replace Beasley for 13 million a year or a little more whose production is better than Beasley's? Or use Beasley's 12.8 million to pay for another position(DT or OL) in Free Agency and draft a DE. I do not have players in mind.

• Vic Beasley - 20 tackles, 7 TFLs, 5.0 sacks, 8 QBHits, 0 FFs, 1 FR, 0 INTs, 3 PDs
  • Bruce Irvin - 19 tackles, 7 TFLs, 6.5 sacks, 7 QBHits, 1 FF, 0 FRs, 0 INTs, 0 PDs

Irvin should be able to replace Beasley's production at half the price

thanat0s, Bigbenright and Geneaut like this

Good write up. I hate to see Bryant go, but I think it's better than 50/50 at this point. The others being cut wouldn't be surprising at all. That money is better spent on fixing this OL/DL once and for all. 

Especially Beasley. I never wanted him, and never saw the draw at all. If they pay him that 12 mil, they're declaring that their arrogance  and face-saving are more important than solving the team's LOS problems.

One thing that we are glossing over at the moment, too, is Tak's situation. It's likely he'll be fine, but that's not a guarantee. We need as much money as possible to go get some insurance there, too. 

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:
  • Vic Beasley - 20 tackles, 7 TFLs, 5.0 sacks, 8 QBHits, 0 FFs, 1 FR, 0 INTs, 3 PDs
  • Bruce Irvin - 19 tackles, 7 TFLs, 6.5 sacks, 7 QBHits, 1 FF, 0 FRs, 0 INTs, 0 PDs

I feel you, but we'd still need to pickup a decent DE somewhere else unless Means is that guy. I'm not sure a draft pick is going to give us even Beasley production next season.

5 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

One thing that we are glossing over at the moment, too, is Tak's situation. It's likely he'll be fine, but that's not a guarantee. We need as much money as possible to go get some insurance there, too. 

The Tak thing may save Vic's job. 

Just now, Geneaut said:

The Tak thing may save Vic's job. 

You could be right, but heaven help us if it's at that price tag. Ugh..

Just now, thanat0s said:

You could be right, but heaven help us if it's at that price tag. Ugh..

It's not optimal, but Vic may have us by the short and curlies. Hopefully Takk is great and this isn't an issue, but it sure would itch my scalp if I was in our FO. 

If you don't resign Vic and Takk can't go you are looking at a VERY thin DE lineup next season, and potentially forces our hand in the draft.

thanat0s likes this

1 minute ago, Geneaut said:

I feel you, but we'd still need to pickup a decent DE somewhere else unless Means is that guy. I'm not sure a draft pick is going to give us even Beasley production next season.

I think we should re-sign Means, as well as Irvin. A first round rookie should be able to give us what Beasley gave last year. Just look at his and Takk's rookie stats. They both had 4-6 sacks and 5-10 QBHits as rooks.

Stryka and vel like this

4 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Losing Vic would create a huge whole and alter our FA/draft strategy. We would then only have Takk and B. Reed under contract at DE. We would need to resign Irvin, sign a vet base end and get another DE in draft. 

Geneaut likes this

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I think we should re-sign Means, as well as Irvin. A first round rookie should be able to give us what Beasley gave last year. Just look at his and Takk's rookie stats. They both had 4-6 sacks and 5-10 QBHits as rooks.

A first-round rookie DE means we aren't getting one of the DTs or OL many people want around here.

I'm not saying that's wrong, but it has to be taken into consideration.

Takk is basically the only DE we currently have under contract for 2019.

Edited by Geneaut

Just now, Geneaut said:

A first-round rookie DE means we aren't getting one of the DTs or OL many people want around here.

I'm not saying that's wrong, but it has to be taken into consideration.

Takk is basically the only DE we currently have under contract for 2019.

I hope we fix the NT spot with a free agent. If we do that and re-sign Irvin and Means, the only holes would be at CB pending Oliver's offseason and what we do with Alf. Maybe at LB.

Geneaut likes this

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I hope we fix the NT spot with a free agent. If we do that and re-sign Irvin and Means, the only holes would be at CB pending Oliver's offseason and what we do with Alf. Maybe at LB.

My 'perfect' Vic strategy would be extending him to a more team friendly contract. That keeps our earlier picks open more for BPA than having to take a DE and rely on that guy playing a lot of snaps. It may be a pipe dream, but I'm holding on to it.  God forbid Takk can't go next season.

Stryka likes this

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I was glad we picked him up. He'll definitely soften the blow of having to replace a vet if it comes to that. A full year back in this system and hopefully he'll have a big year. 

Geneaut and Stryka like this

5 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

My 'perfect' Vic strategy would be extending him to a more team friendly contract. That keeps our earlier picks open more for BPA than having to take a DE and rely on that guy playing a lot of snaps. It may be a pipe dream, but I'm holding on to it.  God forbid Takk can't go next season.

Beasley's agent would be nuts to settle for a reduced contract. Some 3-4 should value him on the open market.

Geneaut likes this

1 minute ago, thanat0s said:

I was glad we picked him up. He'll definitely soften the blow of having to replace a vet if it comes to that. A full year back in this system and hopefully he'll have a big year. 

I'm just curious what his salary demands will be. I hope it's one we can meet because I think he looked good playing by the end of the season here. A keeper for sure.

Just now, thanat0s said:

I think Irvin Vic and Takk all can be 8 sack guys on this team. I think Takk has the highest ceiling due to his motor and power to balance his speed rush. He can be a 10 sack guy. 

The problem I have is that all 3 are light and we would need a big base DE like Gary or Oliver to help both vs run and pass

thanat0s likes this

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Beasley's agent would be nuts to settle for a reduced contract. Some 3-4 should value him on the open market.

That's my fear. hence my pipe dream statement. The one thing I hope is that he's just so plain comfortable here that he gives us a bit of the hometown discount, but like you said I'm sure his agent would be drumming up business elsewhere for him.

If we let him go I'd like to see if we could chase Brandon Graham down and see what he'd take.

Stryka and thanat0s like this

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I'm just curious what his salary demands will be. I hope it's one we can meet because I think he looked good playing by the end of the season here. A keeper for sure.

Well, the good news is, this is home, and he's getting older.  That should put negotiations in a better place out of the gate. 

Geneaut likes this

46 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Well, the good news is, this is home, and he's getting older.  That should put negotiations in a better place out of the gate. 

I think he was in the $8M-$9M range on his contract last season. I'm OK with that for a solid vet like Bruce. Get Means back, and maybe draft a hair on fire guy somewhere.

thanat0s likes this

On 1/17/2019 at 2:43 PM, Stryka said:

Trufant is the sticker, less penalized guy.  Just with stone hands.  I like Alford when he is on but even then he gets too many penalties and does way too much grabbing.  His hands have been unreliable lately as well.  How many picks have either had in the last 2 years.  Id bed Kazee had more picks this year than Alford and Trufant have combined for the last 2 years.  Its shameful.

Trufant is not more sticker in my eyes. Alford is always in position and the vicinity of the ball/player. Trufant is 15 yards off the player on a 3rd and 8. Trufant is RUNNING AWAY from contact. Trufant gets turned around so easily. I don't see nothing Trufant does better than Alford. Tru gets his share of penalties as well.

28 minutes ago, The Peregrine said:

Trufant is not more sticker in my eyes. Alford is always in position and the vicinity of the ball/player. Trufant is 15 yards off the player on a 3rd and 8. Trufant is RUNNING AWAY from contact. Trufant gets turned around so easily. I don't see nothing Trufant does better than Alford. Tru gets his share of penalties as well.

Im not big stats guy, however, there isn't a metric in which Alford was graded out better than Trufant.  In 2017 where people think Alford was our best CB, Trufant was graded as #19 cover guy in league.  Alford was #30.  They both have same amount of INTs in 6 years.  Trufant has 10 more tackles in 10 less games.  Trufant is the only one with a probowl season.  He is significantly less penalized over the time frame.  Now there is the 2 or 3 big time INTs that Alford has but they don't mask all the penalties.  Trufant gets this wrap as a guy who avoids contact but dude is a sure tackler and doesn't miss many.  If Trufant gets flack for not chasing down Chubb then Alford gets just as much for not bringing down Brees with Poole in that game.  You can cherry pick plays but overall Trufant is just better than Alford.  Lets think about the 12 dropped INTs over the last couple years. Dude could lead the NFL if his hands were better.  Alford isn't even in position to make them plays.