Geneaut

5 possible Atlanta Falcons roster cuts to keep an eye on

122 posts in this topic

We need to purge. Here's my cut list:

• Beasley - can't justify $12.8M. His agent would be crazy to go for less. A 3-4 team will pay him
  • Alford - I believe Oliver will be ready to provide similar if not better play
  • Shredder - Post June 1 cut. He's either injured or just flat out sucks now. Gotta go
  • Bryant - fragile and aging. I think he's on the verge of dropping off a cliff. Giorgio will be ready
  • Reed - time to move on. Replace him with a young DE that can set the edge and get pressure
  • Fusco - we need to fix the RG position. Been a hole far too long. Time to get serious
  • Bosher - tailed off in the last two years on kick offs and punts. A blocked punt waiting to happen
  • Ortiz - we can do better. Kutty and Mularkey will want a real FB. An Ovie or DiMarco type 
  • Zimmer - find a guy like the back flipper everyone is raging over on TATF this week
  • Neal - Ryan not Keanu. We can probably find a draft pick or UDFA to take that inactive spot

That would free up $43.2M and put us $67.5M under the cap before extensions, re-signs, street free agency and the draft. There are other possible cap casualty candidates like Sanu and Crawford that could free up an additional $7.1M, but i'd keep both of them. We'll take some dead money hits but we have dead heads in holes that need to be plugged.

Stryka likes this

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I am not convinced the kicker is on the roster. We have seen many times young kickers hit a wall after few good games and disappear. It’s a gamble DQ need to weigh in carefully. Last thing a coach on hot seat needs is kicker missing FG to lose the games.

His name is Italian Ice, he played well and has a stronger leg.

Vandy likes this

3 hours ago, stizz said:

In a game against the Giants. Different ballgame than the playoffs. Save money on ST by cutting Bosher instead.

Everything counts.

Bosher? Replaced by whom? 

Ergo Proxy likes this

4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

No no. I didn’t say cut the people not on the list. More like the ones on the list are must keeps. Schraeder has one bad season. C’mon. Win now??? Same with Allen. I didn’t say cut him. 

Gotcha. Wasn’t wanting to see Rico gone. 

Edited by Geneaut
Knight of God likes this

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

• Beasley - can't justify $12.8M. His agent would be crazy to go for less. A 3-4 team will pay him
  • Shredder - Post June 1 cut. He's either injured or just flat out sucks now. Gotta go
  • Bryant - fragile and aging. I think he's on the verge of dropping off a cliff. Giorgio will be ready
  • Reed - time to move on. Replace him with a young DE that can set the edge and get pressure
  • Fusco - we need to fix the RG position. Been a hole far too long. Time to get serious
  • Bosher - tailed off in the last two years on kick offs and punts. A blocked punt waiting to happen
  • Ortiz - we can do better. Kutty and Mularkey will want a real FB. An Ovie or DiMarco type 
  • Zimmer - find a guy like the back flipper everyone is raging over on TATF this week
  • Neal - Ryan not Keanu. We can probably find a draft pick or UDFA to take that inactive spot

That would free up $43.2M and put us $67.5M under the cap before extensions, re-signs, street free agency and the draft. There are other possible cap casualty candidates like Sanu and Crawford that could free up an additional $7.1M, but i'd keep both of them. We'll take some dead money hits but we have dead heads in holes that need to be plugged.

48 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Beasley is not worth being brought back even on a reduced salary

So what do you do at edge rusher? Maybe you think Beasley hasn't lived up to his draft status--I get that. But he still produced 5 sacks, 3 FFs and an Int. Remember Takk wasn't exactly putting up superior numbers, so you basically go into the draft needing a pass rusher or into FA where you will overpay. 

What are options? We're quick to say guys like Rico (not saying cut him) do things beyond stats but we neglect to notice that Vic lined up at LB, edge and did everything we asked him to and did it pretty well. So who's his replacement?

Ergo Proxy likes this

We get nothing if we let Vic go. Even at his option price, it may not hurt our FA plans as long as we make the other tough moves.

As it stands today, he should be part of a positive DL rotation in 2019. Long-term? Doubtful. Might not keep him but if you rescind the option we lose him for no compensation as a natural FA in 2020.

I’d rather cut Schraeder, Reed, Alford, Fusco(injuries and cheaper to keep Wes), and hopefully gain some savings on Julio’s extension structure; mitigating some of the cap hit coming due to Jarrett. Might can lessen his early cap hit as well!

Do those things since for 1 more year VB isn’t making the future cap a problem; so let him get overpaid by a better suited system and we benefit from a better roster with him on it for 1 more year? I’m down.

Bring back:

Irvin, Means, Ty, Poole(2nd round tender), Wreh-Wilson etc

Some guys we do let walk that are naturally occurring FA. A couple cuts I could be missing but not much else seems to be on the table like cutting Sanu or Jack.

Zimmer is an ERFA and probably won’t even count against the cap(rule of 51), so it’s easy to hold onto him as of right now; this isn't about a 53-man roster requirement.

One more offseason for him or guys like that to do something(Hall) or he is back to PS material at best depending on the 53 end of TC 2019.

Guys like those aren’t getting cut yet; because it’s over money right and cap savings; any cuts for the most part. Only savvy vets you respect and want them to have a shot elsewhere and why bother holding onto them without truly giving them a shot at a starting job.

(Aka Schraeder or Alford if you genuinely don’t see them starting and can’t make them a much cheaper backup than their current prices.)

Edited by Ergo Proxy
kiwifalcon likes this

23 hours ago, MSalmon said:

And who do you replace him with? A draft pick? Free agent? He may NT have replicated his 16 season but he gets pressure and still forced three fumbles and had 5 sacks and an int 

I’m with you at this point in time Beasley is better than the guys coming out and we have Irvin and Means who I think is sneaky good.What we have to find is a base end against the run.Is that Jack Crawford?

Like to add some depth inside so we can run Jarrett pretty much for the most part as a 3T.

MSalmon likes this

22 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Because he sucks and stays injured.

No just kidding. Ryan Neal.

Lol I thought you misspelled auto corrected Neal and meant Neaseman.

22 hours ago, falcons007 said:

That’s not an easy cut to make with an unproven kicker. If DQ starts losing games with missed FG, he will get fired. 

I’m afraid this is what the nfl is about making tough decisions like we are eventually going to have to with Money.I understand where your coming from but i’d make the move.

Moneys tight decisions need to be made.

I’d hate to see Bryant fall off the cliff like Jason Elam did.

vitaman likes this

4 hours ago, MSalmon said:

So what do you do at edge rusher? Maybe you think Beasley hasn't lived up to his draft status--I get that. But he still produced 5 sacks, 3 FFs and an Int. Remember Takk wasn't exactly putting up superior numbers, so you basically go into the draft needing a pass rusher or into FA where you will overpay. 

What are options? We're quick to say guys like Rico (not saying cut him) do things beyond stats but we neglect to notice that Vic lined up at LB, edge and did everything we asked him to and did it pretty well. So who's his replacement?

I would cut Beasley, re-sign Irvin and Means, hope Takk isn't going Randy Gregory on us and draft a 21 year old edge guy. Allen, Polite, Sweat, you name it.

17 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I would cut Beasley, re-sign Irvin and Means, hope Takk isn't going Randy Gregory on us and draft a 21 year old edge guy. Allen, Polite, Sweat, you name it.

I honestly don’t believe we lose out by playing Irvin in place of Beaseley. However preferentially I would play him for one more year and then release without the big long term salary. I don’t want to need to address Edge this year - let’s concentrate on OT/OG and DT. Take edge next year by which time we will have established if Takk can be the guy we all hope he can be (bone fide no.1)

Ergo Proxy likes this

3 minutes ago, primetime said:

I honestly don’t believe we lose out by playing Irvin in place of Beaseley. However preferentially I would play him for one more year and then release without the big long term salary. I don’t want to need to address Edge this year - let’s concentrate on OT/OG and DT. Take edge next year by which time we will have established if Takk can be the guy we all hope he can be (bone fide no.1)

Yeah, this is where I’m at, too.

You aren’t getting more production than VB this coming year than an edge pick in this draft; which would severely hurt our ability to rebuild the OL and address DT/5T DE right now.

VB is a hefty cap hit to pay but it’s manageable and if we let him walk NEXT offseason we could get good compensation.

Geneaut, primetime and jfalconsp like this

1 hour ago, primetime said:

Bruce Irvin is playing better than Beasley and probably can for a couple more years. I would definitely re-sign him if his agent doesn't get crazy. He knows how to navigate his way through the NFL. Beasley's not there yet. Re-sign Irvin and Means. Draft an edge guy. Let Beasley walk to a 3-4 defense where he belongs. Man I wish we ran a 3-4. 

Vandy and primetime like this

13 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We hardly ever agree but we agree here I would also let Tevin Coleman go and not even try to resign him

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

On 1/17/2019 at 2:41 PM, mqg96 said:

I'd rather cut Desmond Trufant instead of Robert Alford anyday. I'm telling you, Alford would thrive with a better DC or better skill players than the Falcons.

I would find it difficult to shed even one tear if both were sent packing. I don't know that we can cut Trufant, but he'll probably only have about 3 more interceptions if he plays another five or six seasons. And, considering he'll probably have less than 3 tackles the rest of his career, I'd say can him as soon as we can do so. Alford? blecccccch. Screw him.

Robert Alford could be a good back-up with a restructured contract— he is familiar with the schemes and a good insurance policy. He has no leverage because of how he played last season, and he might be desperate to stick around at a cheaper rate. This might help his game to be rotational player in Dan Q system. 

38 minutes ago, stingbee said:

Robert Alford could be a good back-up with a restructured contract— he is familiar with the schemes and a good insurance policy. He has no leverage because of how he played last season, and he might be desperate to stick around at a cheaper rate. This might help his game to be rotational player in Dan Q system. 

Starting Corners are a rare commodity, especially one who just turned 30 ...a meh team will pick Alf up and overpay him. 

23 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bruce Irvin is playing better than Beasley and probably can for a couple more years. I would definitely re-sign him if his agent doesn't get crazy. He knows how to navigate his way through the NFL. Beasley's not there yet. Re-sign Irvin and Means. Draft an edge guy. Let Beasley walk to a 3-4 defense where he belongs. Man I wish we ran a 3-4.

As do I FF70. Quinn’s rep in Seattle was running a hybrid 4-3/3-4, but haven’t seen anything like that here. Just much the same passive, bend-but-don’t break stuff folks complained about Smitty.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

15 hours ago, Vandy said:

As do I FF70. Quinn’s rep in Seattle was running a hybrid 4-3/3-4, but haven’t seen anything like that here. Just much the same passive, bend-but-don’t break stuff folks complained about Smitty.

Agree. I see the Tampa 2 even mora ran in our defense.  No hybrid, no blitzing, just rush 3 get carved up in zone

Vandy likes this

On 1/19/2019 at 11:48 AM, primetime said:

I’d sign Beasley to a 2,3 year deal before signing Irvin long term.

Irvin is 32 years old.

If it were a choice between the 2 I’d be keeping the 27 yr old Beasley.They are very similar players.

Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Irvin is 32 years old.

If it were a choice between the 2 I’d be keeping the 27 yr old Beasley.They are very similar players.

Agreed, Irvin would be a band-aid. If we let VB walk, all of the sudden you force yourself to over-draft for need instead taking BPA. 

Ergo Proxy and kiwifalcon like this

Problem is price and contract length. Easier and more feasible to bring Irvin back. VB does not likely take such a contact with his 1 career shot at UFA payday.

We probably have to keep VB on the option price and let him walk next offseason and draft a DE 2019.

Falcons have little leverage. At least Irvin is older. (Cheaper for current production rate)

EDIT: On the positive side, if VB breaks out again and we keep him long-term we can let Irvin walk after this year. Only question is what will VB take if he has a better season? If he doesn’t then it becomes a question of his value to Falcons vs UFA. That’s just the reality and DE is then still a need next offseason.

Thankfully, DT and 5T DE should be addressed this offseason and Takk is still very young.  That would leave us with replacing VB and/or Irvin next offseason. Assuming Irvin is back on a rental and VB takes the option then leave route.

Only catch: Would we tag him?

Improving DT with a guy like Oliver next to Grady would be amazing. We’d have to nail OG/OT moves in FA to free up that 14th overall pick. Otherwise, a hope on renting McCoy and a mid-tier OL upgrade leaving OL as our pick at 14 is another route. (Presuming we still have at minimum 2 starting OL spots; or 3, open for FA + Draft moves vs where we stand today before Draft day)

Exciting offseason ahead as we still have time with Matt&Julio + the younger players. Must identify replacements for critical positions like C soon but otherwise fairly young.

Keep drafts on the upswing and we can make these tough decisions for the interests of the roster structure.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Irvin is 32 years old.

It’s about salary cap and production. What Beaseley will most likely demand (based on his 2016/2017 season) will not equate to what he typically delivers. No way I’m paying him top edge rusher money and a long term deal. And no way he doesn’t take top edge rusher money and a long term deal from some flunky team who thinks he is better than he is. Keeping him next year and resigning Irvin is only about pushing out Edge as a need till 2019 and ensuring we get something for him in compo. 2018 is about OG/RT and DT. We can’t expect to fix everything in one year (Dimmi’s not FFS1970)

2 minutes ago, primetime said:

It’s about salary cap and production. What Beaseley will most likely demand (based on his 2016/2017 season) will not equate to what he typically delivers. No way I’m paying him top edge rusher money and a long term deal. And no way he doesn’t take top edge rusher money and a long term deal from some flunky team who thinks he is better than he is. Keeping him next year and resigning Irvin is only about pushing out Edge as a need till 2019 and ensuring we get something for him in compo. 2018 is about OG/RT and DT. We can’t expect to fix everything in one year (Dimmi’s not FFS1970)

He won’t get paid top $$$$$$ though this is the thing.If you pay him like a situational guy and structure correctly his contract isn’t an issue.

If he wants top dollar you let him test the market no issues with that.What we can’t do is go into a season light on pass rush.

With regards to the draft if you think there’s a guy as good as Beasley in the draft then you look at moving him on if not you keep him.

For me Beasley is still a 6-10 plus sack guy.

I don’t want to take that away from a defense that is hardly getting there in the first place.We also rush 4 a lot with the guys you have on the roster in pass situations Beasley is one of those four guys who can still get there.