Geneaut

5 possible Atlanta Falcons roster cuts to keep an eye on

122 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Can I ask why? 

I could go down the list (butterfingers, plays too soft on the LoS, receiver drops ball and he gloats like he had something to do with it, after he gets burnt on a play he pulls on his shoulder pads and looks around wondering wtf happened, etc) but honestly I just don't like him at all. And I was his biggest supporters when he was drafted and the first couple of years afterwards. He's got progressively worse while TD gives him a big contract. This is just my opinion and a pawn shop wouldn't give me 2 cents for it. 

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Because he sucks and stays injured.

No just kidding. Ryan Neal.

:lol:

I thought you meant Keanu too. My first thought was “the old man finally went all the way around the bend didn’t he?” Thanks for the comic relief. 

Knight of God and Vandy like this

5 hours ago, Geneaut said:

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/1/17/18183589/5-possible-atlanta-falcons-roster-cuts-to-keep-an-eye-on-robert-alford-ryan-schraeder

It’s not the most fun part of the offseason, but every year, the Falcons make cuts. In a league where a single bad year can get you the axe and cap space is at a premium no matter how much it increases, good players (or at least formerly good players) are going to hit the bricks.

We’ll dive in on each of these players in the weeks ahead, but for now, here’s a look at some of big name potential cuts for this football team that you’ll want to monitor closely this spring and summer.

T Ryan Schraeder
Let’s take a moment and appreciate what Schraeder has accomplished as an undrafted free agent. He was a part-time starter in 2013 and 2014 before taking over full-time at right tackle in 2015 and not looking back. He put together a three season run as a terrific offensive lineman before the wheels came off in a major way in 2018, and for a dude who had to claw and fight just to make the team in the first place, that’s extremely impressive.

At minimum, though, the Falcons are likely going to approach Schraeder about a re-structure. By cutting him in 2019, they’ll save $5.2 million and suffer a dead cap hit of $2.5 million this year and $1.2 million next year, and that money could go toward other needs along the offensive line. Schraeder will be 31 this year, which is not necessarily a sign that his career is winding down, but he’s coming off a 2018 where he was benched for and outplayed by Ty Sambrailo, which is a massive red flag. Unless there was a lurking injury the Falcons are aware of and we aren’t, he feels like a mortal lock to be re-doing his deal or seeking a starting job elsewhere.

Who would replace him? Chances are good the Falcons will draft a tackle or lean on Ty Sambrailo for a year, though the latter will have to re-sign.

DE Brooks Reed
Reed has been a valuable rotational defensive end since joining the Falcons all the way back in 2015, but the returns haven’t been truly stellar. Reed is rock solid against the run but is an iffy pass rusher, and he’s heading into his age 32 season with seven sacks (and, to be fair, 18 quarterback hits) in his last three seasons. The Falcons can save $3.9 million against a dead money hit of less than $1 million if they part ways with him in 2019, and with the defensive end position delivering a couple of disappointing seasons in a row in general, they’d likely be wise to do so. Reed is a free agent in 2020, however, so it’s possible the Falcons keep him around as a veteran bridge regardless of what they do at the position.

Quite simply, they don’t have a replacement for him on the roster today, so we’ll see how free agency and the draft shake out.

DE Vic Beasley
I don’t think the Falcons will outright cut Beasley, but stranger things have happened. He’s staring at a fifth year option worth $12.8 million, an exorbitant total for a player who had one of the worst seasons of any Falcon in 2018. You keep waiting for things to click for Beasley, a tremendous athlete with great speed and bursts of impressive production, but he keeps getting washed out of plays and failing to make an impact as a pass rusher. If the team is serious about revamping both lines, they simply can’t pay Beasley that money.

That said, Dan Quinn had indicated they’d like to keep Beasley around, because he’s only 27 and he’s still shown flashes of being the player Atlanta hoped they were getting with a top ten pick. Axing him would save them nearly $13 million outright, but I expect the Falcons to try to talk extension with Beasley, getting him something incentive-heavy that lands closer to what Brooks Reed is making now than what Beasley himself is supposed to make in 2019. If that fails, don’t be stunned if the team moves on.

CB Robert Alford
There isn’t a more obvious cut candidate on this list than Robert Alford. Full stop.

Start with his 2018 season, which was his worst since probably 2013 or 2014. Alford still made plays—he’s too good not to—but in between there were stretches of awful coverage, paired with the penalties you can excuse when he’s playing well and are magnified when he’s not. Alford is going to be 30 heading into 2019, and the dropoff from a great 2017 to 2018 was so dramatic that you’re worried about his future if he wasn’t nursing a secret injury.

Even if Alford played reasonably well in 2018, though, his contract leaves him in danger. The Falcons can save $7.9 million against $1.2 million in dead money by cutting him this year, with $8.5 million in savings versus $600,000 in dead money in 2020. That’s easily the most the Falcons will be able to save by cutting a single player in this spring or summer outside of Vic Beasley, and Alford’s 2018 won’t help his case.

Finally, consider the team’s own rhetoric. The Falcons just drafted Isaiah Oliver in the second round, Brian Poole is an affordable restricted free agent in 2019, and Blidi Wreh-Wilson has been good enough in limited duty to return on another affordable, one year deal. Yet the team is openly talking about cornerback as a position they need to address. Given that Desmond Trufant’s contract and second half improvement make him virtually uncuttable heading into this season, there’s only one player in that cornerbacks corps who the team could be thinking about replacing with an early round selection.

Unless the team finds a way to work out a re-structure that dramatically reduces him cap hit, I think it’s basically destined to happen. I really hope Alford can catch on with another team and fare well, because I think up until last year he was chronically underrated and underappreciated in Atlanta.

The Falcons will still have Trufant, Oliver and Poole in place even if they don’t make any additions at the position, and it’s a mortal lock that they will add. They should be fine next year one way or the other.

K Matt Bryant
Every time we add Bryant to a list like this, it looks foolish in hindsight. This year, Bryant was good as ever when healthy, so there’s no real compelling reason to cut him.

That said, there are reasons he belongs on a list of potential cuts, even if I sincerely hope it doesn’t happen. The first is the Falcons signing Giorgio Tavecchio to a two year deal in 2018 and holding on to him even when Bryant was healthy, which is at least vaguely ominous. The second is Bryant’s 2018 injuries, which only cost him three games but limited him in at least one other. Given that he’ll be 44 years old in 2019, I doubt anyone in Flowery Branch is taking those injuries lightly.

The team would save $3 million or so against $1.3 million in dead money in 2019, and would save $3.5 million vs. $666,668 in 2020 if they were to move on. There’s no urgency to do so if the team believes Bryant will stay healthy and effective, and frankly he’s done nothing in recent years to suggest that he won’t keep kicking like the ageless wonder he is well into the back half of his 40s. It’s possible that Tavecchio is just hanging around as insurance until the start of the season for Atlanta, but I do know one thing: The Falcons aren’t going to hang on to two kickers again for the whole of the 2019 season.

You may ask where a handful of players are, including Mohamed Sanu. The reality is that Sanu is a very productive member of the offense, and while the Falcons will save $4.6 million by cutting him, they have little incentive to do so with a cap crunch not looming. That may change in 2020, when the team can part ways with Sanu (or re-structure him, if he’s amenable) to save $6.5 million, but I think he’s safe for this year. Others like Devonta Freeman and Desmond Trufant were laid low by injury or a shaky half year, but the team will actually lose money by cutting tem this year due to the structure of their deals.

Interesting that no Sanu is listed. Over 7m cap. Only about 2.3m in dead money. Too much hut for a third WR in a draft that’s deep in WR talent

11 hours ago, high impact said:

With the McKinley situation. Not sure they would let go of Reed and Beasley. We don't know what McKinley is going to do going forward. If he were to sit out to get his life where he wants it then letting Reed and Beasley go would create a problem on defense. They may not be all pro. Ya just can't cut all of them and hope to fill the void with an upgrade just in a blink of an eye.

Just look back a few years ago when they cut Hawley and thought Konz was going to be an upgrade.

I dont think.we get rid of beas or reed we are already thin for depth on the line anyway..i see team friendly restructuring and im for keeping Schrader under the same premise that we need all the depth we can get.but if they dont want to then you have some decisions 

KISS

Trim the fat. Get rid of guys with little to no production. Recognize your current situation (Takk is having issues and also struggled during the season)

Make sure you keep: DE Takk(?), Beasley, Means, Irvin

DT Jarrett, Senat, Crawford

LB Campbell, Jones, Oluokun

CB Oliver, Kazee, Neal

anyone after that is pretty much expendable 

QB Ryan

RB Coleman, Smith

FB

WR Jones Sanu Ridley

TE Hooper 

OL Matthews, Schraeder Mack

other than that everyone is pretty much expendable 

I’m not saying you cut everyone not mentioned. I’m saying it’s whatever after those. 

high impact and Geneaut like this

4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

KISS

Trim the fat. Get rid of guys with little to no production. Recognize your current situation (Takk is having issues and also struggled during the season)

Make sure you keep: DE Takk(?), Beasley, Means, Irvin

DT Jarrett, Senat, Crawford

LB Campbell, Jones, Oluokun

CB Oliver, Kazee, Neal

anyone after that is pretty much expendable 

QB Ryan

RB Coleman, Smith

FB

WR Jones Sanu Ridley

TE Hooper 

OL Matthews, Schraeder Mack

other than that everyone is pretty much expendable 

I’m not saying you cut everyone not mentioned. I’m saying it’s whatever after those. 

You OK with keeping Schraeder over Ty? I'm willing to consider him being cut myself. I see you left Rico off the D. I respect your thinking and was wondering the thought process there?

Knight of God likes this

15 hours ago, stizz said:

Stop putting Bryant on these lists. He's as clutch as they come. Ask Chicago if they could use him.

Again, if you want to save money on ST, cut Bosher. Gets his punts blocked way too often and was ranked toward the bottom of the league last year according to PFF.

Bryant isn’t gonna last forever. Falcons kept his replacement on the 53 last year for a reason. 

Cut him, and then put him in ROH. 

5 minutes ago, Vandy said:

cut him and make him ST coach. even if he accidentally screwed the pooch the results would probably still be top 10

Vandy likes this

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Bryant isn’t gonna last forever. Falcons kept his replacement on the 53 last year for a reason. 

He's still effective. Keep both on the 53 and if he slips then let him go, No reason to let go one of the clutchest, most effective legs in the league when he hasn't shown any sign of decline outside of nearly blowing his leg on a 56 yard kick. 

I'm not sure some people on this board realize these guys are a must in the playoffs as the pressure doesn't get too big for them. Ask the Bears or Seahawks if they'd take him. 

17 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

All five are on my cut list along with Fusco, Bosher, Ortiz, Zimmer and Neal. That frees up $39.7M in 2019. Even more if we designate Shredder as a Post June 1 cut.

Same, only 2 I would restructure are Alford and Beasley. Rest can kick rocks or retire. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

24 minutes ago, stizz said:

He's still effective. Keep both on the 53 and if he slips then let him go, No reason to let go one of the clutchest, most effective legs in the league when he hasn't shown any sign of decline outside of nearly blowing his leg on a 56 yard kick. 

I'm not sure some people on this board realize these guys are a must in the playoffs as the pressure doesn't get too big for them. Ask the Bears or Seahawks if they'd take him. 

I realize bro, but also realize we eventually have to move on. It’s dumb to go another year with 2 FG kickers on the 53. Gio hit a couple clutch kicks too, he looks ready to me. 

kiwifalcon likes this

48 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

You OK with keeping Schraeder over Ty? I'm willing to consider him being cut myself. I see you left Rico off the D. I respect your thinking and was wondering the thought process there?

No no. I didn’t say cut the people not on the list. More like the ones on the list are must keeps. Schraeder has one bad season. C’mon. Win now??? Same with Allen. I didn’t say cut him. 

Geneaut likes this

14 hours ago, mqg96 said:

Game winning pick 6 against the Redskins. Pick 6 against Brady in the Super Bowl. Game winning interception against the Panthers last season to seal our playoff spot last season. Alford has made bigger plays when it matters most the past few years and he's shorter than Trufant with a lot more effort. 2017 was the best year of Alford's career when everyone else on the defensive unit was healthy while Trufant started declining. 2 post season starts in 1 season for Trufant since he's been a Falcon in 2013, what has Trufant done significant for the Falcons when it counts most?

Since his season ending injury in 2016 Tru has done nothing for us as much as people don't want to admit it. This reminds me of when I kept trying to warn people about Beasley's inconsistencies before people started realizing how mediocre he had always been by 2018. Yes, Trufant did make the pro bowl in 2015, but he hasn't done anything ever since. I mean, Beasley had a pro bowl caliber year in 2016 (thanks to Dwight Freeney's leadership) and he hasn't done anything ever since either. 

I'm not saying Alford is close to an elite corner like a Sherman or Norman, but NEITHER has Trufant played close to that level either and paying him big money in 2017 was beyond dumb IMO. Alford stayed healthy in 2016. Alford has made the bigger plays and he had the better season in 2017. In 2018 Trufant and Alford have been about the same but from what I remember, Trufant had a lot more burned coverages and dropped INT's. 

This is the classic style over substance argument.  Alford has a few critical plays in his career.  The  last being in Superbowl of 2016.  The INT at the end of the Panther game wasn't so critical, we were up 2 scores and Cam had already thrown 2 picks to our safeties. You have to be objective and not just look at highlight plays and outliers.

Trufant has been our best CB except for 1 year where Alford was on par or marginally better.  Trufant is absolutely a better cover corner.  He also is a more sure tackler even if the will to tackle seems questionable, he usually brings the guy down.  Alford was more of the random big play guy but he has lost that and like Schrader...was on a decline but then fell off a cliff in 2018.

Bottom line is Trufant has always been better than Alford.  Trufant has always been graded higher than Alford.  Trufant warranted a big contract(maybe not as big) before he got hurt in 2016.  In 2017 Trufant gave up some big plays uncharacteristically but are worst problem with him is dropped INTs.  Dude literally could have led the league the last couple of years.  That's how good his coverage has been....he has been in position for no less than 10 picks the last 2 years.  Alford was beaten like a drum this year, you think its a coincidence Oliver replaced Alford and not Trufant towards the end of the season?   Think about it.....,

Ergo Proxy, Vandy and kiwifalcon like this

18 hours ago, Stryka said:

I think we can do better than Ortiz and Neal, however I think Zimmer is an interesting project.  Quick, fast, prototypical body with a lot of strength.  He is a poor mans Taven Bryan(a kid many of us wanted).

I agree. We can do better and bigger than Ortiz. The team tried tho..  

i thought Zimmer was good and had the requisite size. He's a keeper for me. 

Stryka and Ergo Proxy like this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I am not convinced the kicker is on the roster. We have seen many times young kickers hit a wall after few good games and disappear. It’s a gamble DQ need to weigh in carefully. Last thing a coach on hot seat needs is kicker missing FG to lose the games.

Ergo Proxy likes this

14 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

I could go down the list (butterfingers, plays too soft on the LoS, receiver drops ball and he gloats like he had something to do with it, after he gets burnt on a play he pulls on his shoulder pads and looks around wondering wtf happened, etc) but honestly I just don't like him at all. And I was his biggest supporters when he was drafted and the first couple of years afterwards. He's got progressively worse while TD gives him a big contract. This is just my opinion and a pawn shop wouldn't give me 2 cents for it. 

Trufant is the softest playing corner in the league. Can't stand the guy as a player and actively boo him.

99% of Trufant supporters are really just people who hate Alford.

SpongeDad likes this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I realize bro, but also realize we eventually have to move on. It’s dumb to go another year with 2 FG kickers on the 53. Gio hit a couple clutch kicks too, he looks ready to me. 

In a game against the Giants. Different ballgame than the playoffs. Save money on ST by cutting Bosher instead.

I think that we need to move on from Bryant.  I know that he could have another five seasons of reliability in him, but chances are that he will continue to be plagued by nagging injuries that come with age.  We have his replacement in the fold.  We will see a less consistent FG kicker, but the kid looks like he can develop into a good one.

Alford needs to go.  He has talent but is clearly not playing to his contract.  Even when healthy, his rate of penalties is too high and his interception rate too low.  I wish him luck, but it is time to find another answer at CB.  Don't be surprised to see us go CB in the first round, particularly if the top DL's and OT's are off the board (which is a distinct possibility in this draft).       

I would keep Reed and re-work his contract.  I don't think he wants to move on.  I like his tenacity and his run  defense.  Trufant will stay due to his contract.  There is not much that can be done about it.  Let's hope that Quinn can help him live up to his potential.   Vic Beasley should be kept after a re-worked deal.  He might attract some league-wide attention (particularly from 3-4 defenses) but I doubt he is worth $10M/yr to any team.  Finally, I would keep Schraeder, if his decline was due to an undisclosed injury.  

I am looking for our FO to upgrade the LOS in free agency.  Because we won those meaningless games at the end of the season, we might find ourselves out of the running for the top quality DL's and RT's of this draft.  The Falcons NEED to improve the OL now, so they can not afford to enter the draft with multiple holes along the OL.    

Stryka likes this

11 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Trufant is the softest playing corner in the league. Can't stand the guy as a player and actively boo him.

You actively boo your best CB since B. Grimes?  Nobody hates Alford. We hate all the penalties. We had getting owned by WRs downfield.  We hate him popping up making the incomplete gesture after a catch by the WR, we hate  him popping up every other play begging for a push off when he was grabbing the hold time.  That's what we hate, that and his steep decline at everything in 2018. 

Call Trufant what you like.  He is still our best CB.  Pretty good tackler when he tries and if he catches half the picks he has dropped in his career. He is not even mentioned as a problem on these boards.  The coverage he plays is due to scheme, not of his own design. Cant blame him for playing off when he is supposed to. 

1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

Bosher isn't going anywhere. People need to get this thought right out of their heads.

Really like Bosher for his highlight tackles twice a year, but he hasn’t been punting very well. Add in that he has quite a cap hit for a punter and he may be replaceable. Nothing personal, like the guy.

29 minutes ago, runshoot said:

I don’t get the mindset that people need to hate one player to support the other. I would hope that isn’t the case. Alford was terrible this year, significantly worse than Tru. His cap hit doesn’t justify his play, especially w Oliver in the wings and Kazee possibly taking over NB.

if Tru was “as cuttable” as Rocky I think we would see many more saying the same when looking at his cap hit vs play as well.

Both corners underachieved, but Tru played much better as the year went on, and Rocky continued to get burned and/or commit penalties.

kiwifalcon and Ergo Proxy like this

21 minutes ago, Stryka said:

You actively boo your best CB since B. Grimes?  Nobody hates Alford. We hate all the penalties. We had getting owned by WRs downfield.  We hate him popping up making the incomplete gesture after a catch by the WR, we hate  him popping up every other play begging for a push off when he was grabbing the hold time.  That's what we hate, that and his steep decline at everything in 2018. 

Call Trufant what you like.  He is still our best CB.  Pretty good tackler when he tries and if he catches half the picks he has dropped in his career. He is not even mentioned as a problem on these boards.  The coverage he plays is due to scheme, not of his own design. Cant blame him for playing off when he is supposed to. 

Saying he is our best corner is the exact same thing as saying Sambrillo is our best RT. They are the best of the bad, that is not something to be happy or proud of.

This is the exact point people don't get. They are so busy hating on Alford, they flat out ignore the avoiding tackles, the avoiding run support, the soft zone for uncontested catches and the worst hands since Michael Jenkins. As long as Alford is playing poorly, people ignore Trufants equally bad play.

I boo the F out of Trufant just like I boo'd Beirman and Decoud. Horrible players that fans give a pass to. Can you believe people here used to like Beirman? Same thing will happen with Trufant. Once he is gone people will start to realize what a real DB should be like. I am not supporting Alford either.

Edited by runshoot
bad spelling fails

14 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Saying he is our best corner is the exact same thing as saying Sambrillo is our best RT. They are the best of the bad, that is not something to be happy or proud of.

This is the exact point people don't get. They are so busy hating on Alford, they flat out ignore the avoiding tackles, the avoiding run support, the soft zone for uncontested catches and the worst hands since Michael Jenkins. As long as Alford is playing poorly, people ignore Trufants equally bad play.

I boo the F out of Trufant just like I boo'd Beirman and Decoud. Horrible players that fans give a pass to. Can you believe people here used to like Beirman? Same thing will happen with Trufant. Once he is gone people will start to realize what a real DB should be like. I am not supporting Alford either.

I cant really get behind this when Trufant was a probowler in 15', was playing at Probowl level in 2016 prior to injury, came back in 2017 and graded as a top 20 CB over Alford who was #30 and who graded out much much higher than Alford in 2018.  Yes some of what you say is true, he seems to avoid contact at times, not all the time but at times, his hands are dipped in peanut oil before every game and he hasn't been generally as physical as he was before 2015.  That said....dude is still one of the better CBs in this league. 

Im not just saying this because I want Alford gone, I actually would love for him to play better but he has been a penalty magnet his whole career.  He used to come up with big plays but those days are gone. You boo'd Biermann?  A late round pick who outperformed his draft status significantly? Cmon bro. He was never supposed to be a starter but he played well.  Its like booing Worrilow who was obviously an undrafted guy for not being a 1st round baller.  Neither was talented enough. Not their fault they were turned into starters.

kiwifalcon likes this