HMFIC

Falcon's O Line for 2019

53 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

We need at least 1 oline starter on a rookie deal.....

Give me Staffold and Jonah or

Massie and Cody Ford or 

Double dip on oline with the 1st and 2nd pick

Oline is a must fix...

YES !!

8 minutes ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Both lines need an infusion of both young and veteran talent. The Falcons are a long time overdue for building from the inside out.

The good news is we have the skill players for the most part so LOS will springboard our SB odds next year the most.

Vandy likes this

49 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Sign Saffold and Massie. Use the draft on DL.

Just do it

We've been doing this crap.  It doesn't work.  Free agent OL are a band aid, not a fix. 

We need to use more draft picks on OL, and we need to do a better job with those picks.  As it stands, we've used 11 of our last 80 picks on OL, and only three of those are currently on the roster in any capacity.  TD has done a HORRIBLE job with the OL.  He needs to do better.

JDaveG and Dutty Ole Bird like this

20 minutes ago, robertap said:

We've been doing this crap.  It doesn't work.  Free agent OL are a band aid, not a fix. 

We need to use more draft picks on OL, and we need to do a better job with those picks.  As it stands, we've used 11 of our last 80 picks on OL, and only three of those are currently on the roster in any capacity.  TD has done a HORRIBLE job with the OL.  He needs to do better.

Rookie OL aren't coming In the league day one ready. Massie and Saffold are the cream of this f.a. class. If you want to fix the OL for next year then you have to go f.a. ol. Drafting ol in a draft loaded with DL talent makes little since to me. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

29 minutes ago, robertap said:

Mack, Levitre(Trade) were good pickups. What didn’t work is picking up scrubs in FA or drafting in late rounds. Target best available FA. They could have picked up Norwell last year instead of scrubs. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

5 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Rookie OL aren't coming In the league day one ready. Massie and Saffold are the cream of this f.a. class. If you want to fix the OL for next year then you have to go f.a. ol. Drafting ol in a draft loaded with DL talent makes little since to me. 

They certainly aren't, and if you go into every year thinking that, you're never going to develop any OL and you'll be in the same mess that we're in right now, trying to find older OL that people aren't willing to pay anymore in free agency.

If you want to have an OL that can stand up over time, you need to invest in youth, even if it doesn't pay off immediately.  If Matt Ryan goes for another 10 years, you don't want to have a crap offensive line again 3 years from now because you failed to invest in youth.

Yes, this draft is stacked with DL, and I agree that our first pick should go that way.  But we cannot continue to ignore the OL thinking that draft picks won't be ready this year, because that's exactly why we're in the mess that we're in.  We should be spending about 3 picks a year between the OL and DL, and at least one of those should be a 1st or 2nd rounder.  If you already have your franchise QB, that's how you build a dynasty.

14 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Mack, Levitre(Trade) were good pickups. What didn’t work is picking up scrubs in FA or drafting in late rounds. Target best available FA. They could have picked up Norwell last year instead of scrubs. 

Honestly? Norwell was out of our cap range, but agreed on the rest of your post.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

My recipe for offensive line

• 1 quality free agent
  • 1 premium draft (Day 1-2)
  • 1 depth/gem (Day 3)

That may not be enough but I think it's realistic to accomplish.

Ergo Proxy likes this

We don’t yet know who is getting cut, too.  There are 8 new head coaches and a few new OC’s that will be churning players.  I think there will be more options later on than what is currently available.

Ergo Proxy and Monolith2001 like this

29 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

My recipe for offensive line

• 1 quality free agent
  • 1 premium draft (Day 1-2)
  • 1 depth/gem (Day 3)

That may not be enough but I think it's realistic to accomplish.

^Probably this is the sober ending.^ 

Saffold is gonna ask for $15M per for example. We may target a RG instead due to the remaining OGs seemingly better suited sandwiched between Matthews/Mack.

We probably have to settle on Wes as the primary backup and/or Fusco (possible cut not sure timing or if we value Wes price vs Fusco with health ?) or more likely one of them as starting OGs depending on the Draft and where we take OL in the draft.

Monolith2001 likes this

13 minutes ago, robertap said:

They certainly aren't, and if you go into every year thinking that, you're never going to develop any OL and you'll be in the same mess that we're in right now, trying to find older OL that people aren't willing to pay anymore in free agency.

If you want to have an OL that can stand up over time, you need to invest in youth, even if it doesn't pay off immediately.  If Matt Ryan goes for another 10 years, you don't want to have a crap offensive line again 3 years from now because you failed to invest in youth.

Yes, this draft is stacked with DL, and I agree that our first pick should go that way.  But we cannot continue to ignore the OL thinking that draft picks won't be ready this year, because that's exactly why we're in the mess that we're in.  We should be spending about 3 picks a year between the OL and DL, and at least one of those should be a 1st or 2nd rounder.  If you already have your franchise QB, that's how you build a dynasty.

I totally agree with this...

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

OL takes time to play at high level. Get at least one in FA .

Says who?  See Indy Colts.

18 minutes ago, gtech1 said:

They drafted a generational first year All-Pro and where else was their OL constructed from in one offseason??

It took time with previous drafts and the 6th overall pick the last draft. Nelson level player isn't seen at this time for this draft class.

That said, we are at a point of needing draft capital invested into the OL due to the inevitable roster turnover.

We got caught with Levitre falling off from injuries and Schraeder declining early for a 30 year old.

The real issue we didn't adequately address so far is RG. That's the one area we could've done more. We did try to develop Wes and it took longer; he may be the LG next year for arguments sake.

Like I said earlier, on the plus side we have the skill positions settled for the most part. That means we are able to invest more into the OL this offseason.

Falcons had a strategy that backfired due to some things that were unpredictable. Note Fusco's injury...unpredictable. Levitre was a gamble after his injury to IR in 2017.

Now we see what a season full on injuries does when Wes/Garland have to start again and Schraeder falling off unpredictably does.

EDIT:

Basically, if Levitre was healthy and Fusco played all 16/RS did not fall of we'd probably have made the playoffs in spite of the Defense and even without Free.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

58 minutes ago, robertap said:

Stats would disagree. I argued for a OG/C last year bc the class was loaded. This year they aren't. There is a near zero chance that a 2nd or 3rd rnd reach is going to perform better than Massie or Saffold. I'd much prefer to field a competent OL next year while adding talent to our DL. We don't have the luxury of burning an early pick on a project at OT/OG.

58 minutes ago, robertap said:

Yes, this draft is stacked with DL, and I agree that our first pick should go that way.  But we cannot continue to ignore the OL thinking that draft picks won't be ready this year, because that's exactly why we're in the mess that we're in.  We should be spending about 3 picks a year between the OL and DL, and at least one of those should be a 1st or 2nd rounder.  If you already have your franchise QB, that's how you build a dynast

1 hour ago, robertap said:

We have spent some 2nd and 3rd round picks and plenty of later rounds and none of them panned out. Go look at the rookie first round picks from last year. They were really bad except the top 6 pick. I am all for growing pains instead of signing scrubs in FA. 

1 hour ago, gtech1 said:

Colts had a top 6 pick and got a generational OG. Not many top 10 OG in NFL lived up to hype. Look at rest of the NFL OL rookie class, they were bad as expected it takes time. Falcons are picking in a very thing OL draft.