Ransack

2019 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

387 posts in this topic

Oh wow, that breaks my heart. I have so many fond memories of that place. It's where I bought my favorite hat, a David Justice one from like 1992. (No, I don't wear it anymore.)

Disney sold the Braves network and other regional Fox networks to Sinclair for $10.6B. Disney had acquired them in their deal to buy Fox.

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Disney sold the Braves network and other regional Fox networks to Sinclair for $10.6B. Disney had acquired them in their deal to buy Fox.

Any insight into what this means. Any changes we might see or minimal affedts?

8 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Minimal, Liberty Media had teamed up with MLB on a bid. That would have been more impactful since Liberty owns the Braves too. Manfred was hoping Liberty could help MLB own their own broadcast networks. 

2 hours ago, Dawggone said:

The main thing to know is that Sinclair, a super-evil corporation, now owns broadcast rights for Braves games. Liberty and them interact fairly regularly, so I'm inclined to think that little changes. However, anytime new ownership is in charge of a production, anything is possible. At a minimum, it's reasonable to expect status quo this season. Any changes that they make will likely begin next year.

The other thing to understand is that the agreement is just finalized right now. It still must go through regulatory approval. Since Sinclair is part of the reason why Trump got elected, that's a formality, though. It'll probably take three or four months. Any sooner than that would look suspicious. Disney's Fox buy required more than a year, although it was multi-national and had some soccer rights issues in South America.

From Disney's perspective, they had projected at least $20 billion from the sales of YES Network and then the Fox regionals. They only received $13.1 billion ($14.1 billion through some accounting tricks), which means that they're unhappy. They had to boost their original purchase price for Fox from $52.4 billion to $71.3 billion. So, they didn't even get back all of the extra money that they agreed to pay. They anticipated an outlay of about $30 billion. It's wound up being about $57 billion.

(Why yes, corporate acquisitions is one of my writing gigs!)

Dawggone likes this

Just for fun, here's a look at the CBS mock draft picks for the Braves. Yes, there are MLB mocks. 

Pick: C Shea Langeliers, Baylor

Teams do not draft for need -- it is way too difficult to project what your roster needs will be three or four years down the line, so just take the best talent and worry about how it all fits later -- but it is a bit convenient this is a position player draft class. The Braves are loaded with pitching prospects already. Abrams or Greene would be the ideal pick here. With them off the board, Langeliers is the pick. He went into the weekend hitting .324/.391/.493 with five homers in 32 games, and he's regarded as a strong defender who will remain at the position. Langeliers would be the No. 1 catcher in the class in most non-Rutschman years. 

It's worth noting the Braves hold the No. 21 pick as well -- the No. 9 pick is compensation for failing to sign last year's first rounder -- so they have a nice big bonus pool and the extra pick for the "double dip" strategy. They could try to cut an underslot deal here (Texas Tech third baseman Josh Jung is a possible candidate) and go big at No. 21. For now, I'm going to play it straight with Langeliers, arguably the best player still on the board.

Pick: RHP Brennan Malone, IMG Academy (Florida)

With a big bonus pool, the Braves are in position to pounce on Malone here, and pay him a bonus more commensurate with his status as a 10-15 range draft prospect. (That would be $4 million or so.) Malone shows four distinct pitches and mid-90s velocity with his fastball. As with most high schoolers, he's in need of general refinement. Command, holding runners, etc. Langeliers and Malone would be great value at Nos. 9 and 21 for Atlanta.

On 5/4/2019 at 10:45 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

Maybe we should give Kevin Gausman a bit of a break for not being great the last couple times out.

I don't think that Guasman pitched particularly bad last night.

The throwing error hurt him ...yes i know that was his error...but the whole situation was predicted on the stupid shift.

He made sone good pitches that he did not get calls on.

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

I don't think that Guasman pitched particularly bad last night.

The throwing error hurt him ...yes i know that was his error...but the whole situation was predicted on the stupid shift.

He made sone good pitches that he did not get calls on.

His first 3 starts of the season he was really good. His 4th start was at Cincinnati and I didn't think he pitched that bad in that one. But he hasn't been nearly as sharp the last 3 times out.

We need to trade Donaldson for pitching straight up and call up Rivers to take his spot.

1 hour ago, Nereek said:

We need to trade Donaldson for pitching straight up and call up Rivers to take his spot.

You aren't getting established pitchers for a veteran on a 1 year deal. You'd get more prospects for Donaldson.

42 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

You aren't getting established pitchers for a veteran on a 1 year deal. You'd get more prospects for Donaldson.

Im all for prospects, but we gotta do something.

12 hours ago, Nereek said:

You mean Riley? 

1 hour ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

You mean Riley? 

I typed Riley, but somehow it ended up changing to Rivers.

Ashley Shahahmadi looks to be a permanent addition. Who did we lose from the anchor desk?

35 minutes ago, jidady said:

Ashley Shahahmadi looks to be a permanent addition. Who did we lose from the anchor desk?

i dont think anyone left. Moylan is only doing a handful of series. They rotate through them pretty often. Her main job is the pre and postgame shows for the Charlotte Hornets for Fox. I think shes just doing some part time work.

59 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

i dont think anyone left. Moylan is only doing a handful of series. They rotate through them pretty often. Her main job is the pre and postgame shows for the Charlotte Hornets for Fox. I think shes just doing some part time work.

Last night was the first time I've ever seen her. Are the Hornets in the playoffs? I know in years past Jerome would go and do their pre and post game shows for the playoffs.

47 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Last night was the first time I've ever seen her. Are the Hornets in the playoffs? I know in years past Jerome would go and do their pre and post game shows for the playoffs.

No, they finished 4 games under .500

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

No, they finished 4 games under .500

Ok, well, I don't know then, but I clearly meant Hawks, not Hornets. Don't know what I was thinking. I know the Hawks didn't make the playoffs.

Braves are one of the 8 teams on Bumgarner's no trade list. Interestingly, his list includes pretty much every contender. This gives him control over what he gets. He could require a new deal to approve a trade.

5 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Braves are one of the 8 teams on Bumgarner's no trade list. Interestingly, his list includes pretty much every contender. This gives him control over what he gets. He could require a new deal to approve a trade.

That means he wont accept trade to Braves right?

4 minutes ago, Nereek said:

That means he wont accept trade to Braves right?

His no-trade list includes the Braves, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Cardinals, Astros, Brewers, and Cubs. He would gladly agree to a trade to most of those teams as long as he is compensated for waiving his no-trade clause.

Nereek likes this