Ransack

2019 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

387 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Ken Rosenthal mentioned the Braves as a perfect fit for Bumgarner. He said Anthopolous would likely be comfortable adding the rental because of his roots. Ken says Bumgarner would have no problem signing a new contract to be close to home in Atlanta. Hes not wrong, Bumgarner is exactly what this team needs right now. He would he a tremendous asset to the young guys.

Eh...we need relief arms more than starters right now.

Folty/Gausman/Fried/Soroka/Teheran is fine for now. It's the relief corps that has little going for it besides Minter, Parsons, Winkler in his limited work in 2019, and possibly something called a Josh Tomlin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Eh...we need relief arms more than starters right now.

Folty/Gausman/Fried/Soroka/Teheran is fine for now. It's the relief corps that has little going for it besides Minter, Parsons, Winkler in his limited work in 2019, and possibly something called a Josh Tomlin.

You can package. Giants have a few good ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Duvall, Sean Newcomb, Couple prospects to the Giants for Madison Bumgarner, Will Smith, and Mark Melancon. Probably major dream land but I'd die to see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 8:08 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

Adam Duvall, Sean Newcomb, Couple prospects to the Giants for Madison Bumgarner, Will Smith, and Mark Melancon. Probably major dream land but I'd die to see it.

If they made this move, everyone should shut up about the FO not being serious about contending.  With that said, highly doubt it.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been digging into Luke Jackson's numbers.

The biggest two differences for Jackson this year has been his heavy use of his slider and his ability to throw strikes with it when necessary, to the point where his clubhouse name is now the Amazing Slider-Man. This is a continuation of a change he started midseason last year, but he’s now throwing the slider over 50% of the time. He can spin the slider so that it either breaks back in the zone or dive to the bottom of the zone to get swing-and-miss. It’s allowing his mid-90s FB to play up as he’s able to lock up batters that have to be looking slider first. His change-up is also getting better play to the point that he’s actually not allowed a hit to a left-handed hitter all season in 22 batters faced.

While a groundball rate over 70% as Jackson has now likely isn’t sustainable in the long run, everything else looks like it should be something Jackson should maintain. Jackson is another good example of why teams should be leery of just giving up on power pitchers – baseball history is littered with examples of those types who didn’t figure things out until their mid-20s.

jidady, Falconsfan567 and JDFIII like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Duvall homered again. DOB said the scouts are noticing and his trade value is rising.

Seitzer and the other Braves hitting instructors helped Duvall pretty much completely overhaul his swing and offensive approach this offseason/spring. It's taken time, but the changes are finally starting to pay off for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN grades our first month of the season:

"Atlanta Braves: C

Best storyline: The emergence of young starters Max Fried (2.30 ERA in 31.1 innings) and Mike Soroka (1.62 ERA through three starts) gives the Braves a potential one-two dynamo at the top of the rotation -- helping to cover for the bad starts of Sean Newcomb and Kyle Wright that sent that pair back to Triple-A.

The rise of Ronald Acuña Jr.

r533190_608x342_16-9.jpg

How soon could Ronald Acuña Jr. claim Best Player in Baseball title? Jeff Passan

Mulligan: Hello, Craig Kimbrel? No, the Braves couldn't have anticipated the season-ending injury to Arodys Vizcaino, the projected closer, but even before that injury there were concerns about this bullpen. Through Monday, the Braves' bullpen ranked 28th in the majors in win probability added -- they've led in 11 of their losses. But, hey, good to see Liberty Media stock going up in value."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

Where is the current series thread? Am I losing my mind or maybe going blind?

Someone deleted it. Probably because of the argument going on in there from the Tru guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Someone deleted it. Probably because of the argument going on in there from the Tru guy.

Huh? What did I miss? @jidady and I were having a good discussion in it last night. We didn't agree but we both kept it civil which was a nice change from the norm of how those discussions usually goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Someone deleted it. Probably because of the argument going on in there from the Tru guy.

Ok. I’m working so I missed some of that but was reading it at lunch, briefly checked back and poof it was gone like it never happened. Probably for the best though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jidady said:

But, hey, good to see Liberty Media stock going up in value."

If it went down, would anyone feel better? 

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Huh? What did I miss? @jidady and I were having a good discussion in it last night. We didn't agree but we both kept it civil which was a nice change from the norm of how those discussions usually goes.

That Tru guy who was banned or whatever. He was in there calling people names. I'm just guessing that's what did it

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

That Tru guy who was banned or whatever. He was in there calling people names. I'm just guessing that's what did it

Hate that I missed out on the fun!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

It was amusing. His last post called us all computer nerds for knowing how to spell and use basic english.

Dang.. made one post during a business lunch while waiting on others and missed out on the recourse.. hate when that happens..

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheTrue7 said:

Dang.. made one post during a business lunch while waiting on others and missed out on the recourse.. hate when that happens..

And of course, he is absent from the boards after the W tonight lol. 

But I don't wanna hijack this thread and turn it into a mess.

Would LOVE to get Bumgarner and a couple of those relievers. Would easily trade away Newk, Duvall and someone else for him. 

TheTrue7 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tl;dr said:

And of course, he is absent from the boards after the W tonight lol. 

But I don't wanna hijack this thread and turn it into a mess.

Would LOVE to get Bumgarner and a couple of those relievers. Would easily trade away Newk, Duvall and someone else for him. 

Who? :D

but yea.. trade Duvall with the quickness.. 

tl;dr likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Who? :D

but yea.. trade Duvall with the quickness.. 

I trust Folty and think we can trust Gausman some. I want to trust Fried and Soroka, but you just never know what they are going to do later in the year. Young arms in September/October can be a toss up. But I think Fried and Soroka are more than capable. Fried especially because he has more experience.

Plus, I would be very very comfortable with a MadBum, Folty, Fried DS rotation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I trust Folty and think we can trust Gausman some. I want to trust Fried and Soroka, but you just never know what they are going to do later in the year. Young arms in September/October can be a toss up. But I think Fried and Soroka are more than capable. Fried especially because he has more experience.

Plus, I would be very very comfortable with a MadBum, Folty, Fried DS rotation

Fried's career high is 118 IP and that was in 2013. I'm sure the team is conditioning him appropriately but itll be interesting to see what happens later this year. Soroka has a career high of 153 IP so hes had some extensive work already. Anthopolous did say theres no innings cap, these guys are getting the ball all year. I'm sure we'll mix in extra days off too. We have the luxury of calling up Newk, Touki, Wilson or Wright for spot starts.

tl;dr and ATL Fan in the DMV like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Fried's career high is 118 IP and that was in 2013. I'm sure the team is conditioning him appropriately but itll be interesting to see what happens later this year. Soroka has a career high of 153 IP so hes had some extensive work already. Anthopolous did say theres no innings cap, these guys are getting the ball all year. I'm sure we'll mix in extra days off too. We have the luxury of calling up Newk, Touki, Wilson or Wright for spot starts.

Good info. Did not know that Soroka had gone up to 153 IP before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now