Ransack

2019 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

233 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Dirty South Bird said:

Why hasn’t Frenchie been in the booth? 

He's not doing every game. Has 105 games on his schedule at the moment.

And hold onto your butts but Joe Simpson is also supposed to be back on the TV side for around 30 or so games as well.

I also noticed on the radio side that Don Sutton has severely cut back his work load. Last year he stopped traveling with the team but now he's even taking home games off. Jim Powell also appears to have cut back his load a little on road trips, or maybe it was just a one series thing. But Ben Ingram and Joe Simpson were doing the radio games for the Colorado series.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

And hold onto your butts but Joe Simpson is also supposed to be back on the TV side for around 30 or so games as well.

I also noticed on the radio side that Don Sutton has severely cut back his work load. Last year he stopped traveling with the team but now he's even taking home games off. Jim Powell also appears to have cut back his load a little on road trips, or maybe it was just a one series thing. But Ben Ingram and Joe Simpson were doing the radio games for the Colorado series.

Joe has basically replaced Don on radio. 

The Bravss have partnered with the GHSA to host the baseball and softball State championships. The games will take place at SunTrust, Coolray (Gwinnet) and State Mutual Stadium (Rome).

BamaBirdLady likes this

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

The Bravss have partnered with the GHSA to host the baseball and softball State championships. The games will take place at SunTrust, Coolray (Gwinnet) and State Mutual Stadium (Rome).

That's pretty cool and a great gesture by the Braves. 

Mark Bowman said Fried and Soroka will not be limited on innings. Anthopolous said he ditched the idea of limitations because theres no data saying it works. Bowman also added to keep an eye on Duvall. Hes swinging it well in AAA and could he a trade chip to a team like SF. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

On 4/18/2019 at 9:44 AM, Unkn0wn said:

That's good. I've watched (played in) too many high school games played on fields with little league dimensions.

4 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mark Bowman said Fried and Soroka will not be limited on innings. Anthopolous said he ditched the idea of limitations because theres no data saying it works. Bowman also added to keep an eye on Duvall. Hes swinging it well in AAA and could he a trade chip to a team like SF. 

That's great news!! I had always wondered if there was any data that proved that limiting innings worked to keep pitchers healthy. The only data like that I've ever seen was data saying that pitchers that have a big jump from one year to the next have a higher chance at TJS the following here but that's far from scientic and proven.

Also, good news on the Duvall front. Send his *** to the Giants for bullpen help!! It will be coming home from him because he was drafted by the Giants before being traded to the Reds.

1 minute ago, ATLBrave said:

Man. I'd love for the Giants to just tank it and the Braves go after MadBum and Smith.

Add Mark Melancon to that deal and let's do it!! I know Melancon has a high salary for 2020 ($14M) but after that season his contract is up so Braves shouldn't have any problem having him on the roster, especially if Donaldson isn't here. I know Melancon has had injury issues the last couple of years but when healthy he's pretty lights out and has gotten off to a lights out start this year, I don't know why the Giants are using Smith for saves instead of Melancon. Smith is pretty lights out too, btw, I don't remember Smith missing the entire 2017 season.

I know bullpen is a fairly hot-button issue for our lack of addressing it this past offseason. Below are the...let's say "Top 12" RP signings and their numbers:

Andrew Miller - 9.1 IP, 11H, 8BB, 13K, 2.04 WHIP, 6.75 ERA (9.43 FIP) ; 2-years, $25m

Cody Allen - 9 IP, 7H, 10BB, 11K, 1.89 WHIP, 6.00 ERA (8.34 FIP) ; 1-year, $8.5m

Adam Ottavino - 13 IP, 9H, 10BB, 17K, 1.46 WHIP, 2.77 ERA (4.81 FIP) ; 3-years, $27m

Zack Britton - 10 IP, 9H, 4BB, 10K, 1.26 WHIP, 2.61 ERA (2.34 FIP) ; 3-years, $39m

David Robertson - 6.2 IP, 8H, 6BB, 6K, 2.10 WHIP, 5.40 ERA (5.96 FIP) ; 2-years, $23m

Greg Holland - 8 IP, 2H, 3BB, 13K, 0.63 WHIP, 0.00 ERA (0.99 FIP) ; 1-year, $3.5m

Brad Boxberger - 10.1 IP, 14H, 8BB, 13K, 2.13 WHIP, 8.71 ERA (6.69 FIP) ; 1-year, $2.2m

Blake Parker -  7.1 IP, 3H, 5BB, 6K, 1.09 WHIP, 1.23 ERA (3.52 FIP) ; 1-year, $1.8m

Kelvin Herrera -  10.2 IP, 7H, 2BB, 10K, 0.84 WHIP, 1.69 ERA (1.80 FIP) ; 2-years, $18m

Jeurys Familia - 10.2 IP, 10H, 9BB, 11K, 1.78 WHIP, 5.06 ERA (6.30 FIP) ; 3-years, $30m

Tony Sipp - 5.2 IP, 8H, 1BB, 5K, 1.59 WHIP, 9.53 ERA (2.41 FIP) ; 1-year, $1.25m

Joe Kelly - 12 IP, 19H, 2BB, 11K, 1.75 WHIP, 9.00 ERA (5.28 FIP) ; 3-years, $25m w/ '22 Option

Obviously there have been some quality signings in there (Herrera, Holland, Parker), but by and large, the money spent on RP's this year has been ill-advised. I'm for one glad that the early rumors of Britton being a lock to sign here were, at best, over-exaggerated. 

18 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

I know bullpen is a fairly hot-button issue for our lack of addressing it this past offseason. Below are the...let's say "Top 12" RP signings and their numbers:

Andrew Miller - 9.1 IP, 11H, 8BB, 13K, 2.04 WHIP, 6.75 ERA (9.43 FIP) ; 2-years, $25m

Cody Allen - 9 IP, 7H, 10BB, 11K, 1.89 WHIP, 6.00 ERA (8.34 FIP) ; 1-year, $8.5m

Adam Ottavino - 13 IP, 9H, 10BB, 17K, 1.46 WHIP, 2.77 ERA (4.81 FIP) ; 3-years, $27m

Zack Britton - 10 IP, 9H, 4BB, 10K, 1.26 WHIP, 2.61 ERA (2.34 FIP) ; 3-years, $39m

David Robertson - 6.2 IP, 8H, 6BB, 6K, 2.10 WHIP, 5.40 ERA (5.96 FIP) ; 2-years, $23m

Greg Holland - 8 IP, 2H, 3BB, 13K, 0.63 WHIP, 0.00 ERA (0.99 FIP) ; 1-year, $3.5m

Brad Boxberger - 10.1 IP, 14H, 8BB, 13K, 2.13 WHIP, 8.71 ERA (6.69 FIP) ; 1-year, $2.2m

Blake Parker -  7.1 IP, 3H, 5BB, 6K, 1.09 WHIP, 1.23 ERA (3.52 FIP) ; 1-year, $1.8m

Kelvin Herrera -  10.2 IP, 7H, 2BB, 10K, 0.84 WHIP, 1.69 ERA (1.80 FIP) ; 2-years, $18m

Jeurys Familia - 10.2 IP, 10H, 9BB, 11K, 1.78 WHIP, 5.06 ERA (6.30 FIP) ; 3-years, $30m

Tony Sipp - 5.2 IP, 8H, 1BB, 5K, 1.59 WHIP, 9.53 ERA (2.41 FIP) ; 1-year, $1.25m

Joe Kelly - 12 IP, 19H, 2BB, 11K, 1.75 WHIP, 9.00 ERA (5.28 FIP) ; 3-years, $25m w/ '22 Option

Obviously there have been some quality signings in there (Herrera, Holland, Parker), but by and large, the money spent on RP's this year has been ill-advised. I'm for one glad that the early rumors of Britton being a lock to sign here were, at best, over-exaggerated. 

I have no idea what happened to Cody Allen. His first 7 or 8 appearances he didn't give up anything but the last handful of appearances he's all of a sudden caught the walk bug. It's insane how he went from walking no one to walking everyone just overnight.

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I have no idea what happened to Cody Allen. His first 7 or 8 appearances he didn't give up anything but the last handful of appearances he's all of a sudden caught the walk bug. It's insane how he went from walking no one to walking everyone just overnight.

Yeah. I was shocked to see that this morning. It's what prompted me to do that dive into the offseason RP market.

Ken Rosenthal mentioned the Braves as a perfect fit for Bumgarner. He said Anthopolous would likely be comfortable adding the rental because of his roots. Ken says Bumgarner would have no problem signing a new contract to be close to home in Atlanta. Hes not wrong, Bumgarner is exactly what this team needs right now. He would he a tremendous asset to the young guys.

ATLBrave and tl;dr like this