Ransack

2019 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

387 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'm not giving up hope on the Brewers over taking them. Brewers have gone from 7.5 to 3 behind in the last 2 weeks. Brewers are 15-4 in their last 19 games and have the easiest remaining schedule in the NL. 3 at home with the Pirates, 3 at Cincinnati, and 3 at Colorado. The Cardinals meanwhile have 3 at Chicago, 3 at Arizona and 3 at home against the Cubs. While the Cardinals had been hot in the second half of the season running neck-and-neck with the Braves for best record since the ASG, they've cooled off over the last couple of weeks. They're 8-7 in their last 15 games.

It's also not lock that the Nationals will be playing in October. They're only 1 up on the Brewers and 2 up on the Cubs.

I hope the Nats and Cards are in the WC, because those two have the best chance to knock off the Dodgers IMO. The Cubs are probably out of the divisional race now. 5 back with 8 to go means they have to pretty much sweep their remainder with the Cards. Don't see that happening, but I'm hoping the Cards can get to a game 163 and maybe decide to use Flaherty.

Although let's say it's between the Cards and Brewers in game 163 and the loser still goes to the WC game, maybe they go another way in game 163 and save Flaherty for either game 1 of the NLDS or the WC game. 

23 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I hope the Nats and Cards are in the WC, because those two have the best chance to knock off the Dodgers IMO. The Cubs are probably out of the divisional race now. 5 back with 8 to go means they have to pretty much sweep their remainder with the Cards. Don't see that happening, but I'm hoping the Cards can get to a game 163 and maybe decide to use Flaherty.

Although let's say it's between the Cards and Brewers in game 163 and the loser still goes to the WC game, maybe they go another way in game 163 and save Flaherty for either game 1 of the NLDS or the WC game. 

I don't care about the Dodgers. In a perfect world the Braves beat the Dodgers for the World Series. I don't want the Nationals anywhere near the playoffs because I wanna be able to once again laugh my *** off, especially when the Braves were predicted to finish 4th by all the major talking heads.

falconsd56 likes this

On 3/27/2019 at 3:14 PM, K26dp said:

For what it's worth, I like to look at three things with teams at the start of the season, and it tends to lead me to thinking those teams that have answers for them are going to end up being good.

1. Up-the-middle defense
2. 4th-7th starters
3. Average age of the team

The Braves, IMO, blow away the rest of the NL East in these things. They aren't as sexy as big FA signings, but it's what wins divisions.

This post from March 27th deserves a ton of credit. While K26 wasn't completely right about the 4th-7th starters thing, he absolutely nailed the other stuff. In the process, he did something that nobody at ESPN managed. He predicted the NL East champion correctly.

K26dp likes this

On 3/27/2019 at 2:52 PM, jidady said:

2019 prediction: 83-79, Fourth in NL East

Projected Rotation

1. RHP Julio Teheran

2. RHP Bryse Wilson 

3. RHP Kyle Wright

4. LHP Sean Newcomb

Bullpen

RHP Arodys Vizcaíno (closer)

RHP Chad Sobotka

RHP Dan Winkler

LHP Jonny Venters

LHP Jesse Biddle

RHP Shane Carle

LHP Sam Freeman

RHP Luke Jackson

I'm pulling snippets from a much longer SI piece I quoted here:

Take a look at the pitchers that comprised our staff at the start of the year. Due to injuries, we couldn't even project a fifth starter, which is why that spot in the rotation was such a mess for so long.

Out of this group, only Teheran stayed in the rotation, and only two people from our bullpen remain. One of the starters, Newcomb, bombed so badly that he got sent to the bullpen. Right now, I'm describing a 70-win team right now that has suffered through a disastrous season, not a 95-win team.

What the Braves have accomplished this year is special and profound.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

I'm pulling snippets from a much longer SI piece I quoted here:

Take a look at the pitchers that comprised our staff at the start of the year. Due to injuries, we couldn't even project a fifth starter, which is why that spot in the rotation was such a mess for so long.

Out of this group, only Teheran stayed in the rotation, and only two people from our bullpen remain. One of the starters, Newcomb, bombed so badly that he got sent to the bullpen. Right now, I'm describing a 70-win team right now that has suffered through a disastrous season, not a 95-win team.

What the Braves have accomplished this year is special and profound.

The job that Brian Snitker has done this year is downright amazing!! He should win MOTY again but won't because it's the Braves and giving them that kind of respect two years in a row won't happen.

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The job that Brian Snitker has done this year is downright amazing!! He should win MOTY again but won't because it's the Braves and giving them that kind of respect two years in a row won't happen.

:vince:

On 9/21/2019 at 2:12 PM, jidady said:

Eh, we knew that the guys that we had in the first turn of the rotation wouldn't end up being the rotation by the end of the month. If SI was seriously considering that the actual rotation, no wonder they got it so wrong. The rotation was absolutely going to feature Fried, Foltynewicz, Soroka, and Gausman -- none of whom got any of the first four starts of the season. 

I'd also like to point out that everyone who assumed bad faith on the part of the GM when he said that the team would have plenty of budget to make in-season changes as necessary should be ashamed of themselves. Yes, there's plenty of reason to question anything regarding the payroll from LM muckety-mucks, but there were a TON of fans basically accusing Alex Anthopoulos of bald-faced lying about the team. Turns out he was being absolutely truthful. He did have the budget to make in-season moves. The team did allow him to go over-budget when the opportunity presented itself to add difference-makers. He and his team made accurate projections of the available free agents that caused them to back away from long-term commitments. All of these things he was telling fans in March and April. He even had a sports talk guy, Chuck whoever on 680, essentially call him a liar to his face. Maybe Chuck should stick to talking about football. 

Most of us have long wanted the Braves to make more fact and analytical-based decisions when it comes to personnel. The team is now doing that and doing it well. 

TheTrue7 likes this

I had a feeling we were going to take the lead there with Ozzie. Man let's wrap up this series boys!!!