Ransack

2019 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

387 posts in this topic

Actually literally compared a coach to a coach.. and knee jerk reactions to knee jerk reactions.. 

welcome back

2 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Actually literally compared a coach to a coach.. and knee jerk reactions to knee jerk reactions.. 

welcome back

3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Literally just compared a pitching coach to a entire offensive scheme that every player had to learn.......smh

Drop this before it takes off....

6 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Thanks man a while back!  Good to be of value here: hopefully. 

Ah so that's how certain people continue to be allowed to just do what they please.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

Ah so that's how certain people continue to be allowed to just do what they please.

I didn’t see him do anything really. 

TheTrue7 likes this

Just now, VTCrunkler said:

I didn’t see him do anything really. 

Of course not.

He never does. Literally the biggest instigator here. Literally does the same crap that others get banned for.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

Of course not.

He never does. Literally the biggest instigator here. Literally does the same crap that others get banned for.

I don’t know y’all history. I don’t care. I _do _not _want _to _ban _anyone. Please move along. Last friendly message here. 

1 minute ago, VTCrunkler said:

I don’t know y’all history. I don’t care. I _do _not _want _to _ban _anyone. Please move along. Last friendly message here. 

It's fine.

Prepare your inbox cause you guys are going to get a report every time he starts his stuff. 

13 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Didn't mean to start Infinity War 2... geez...

That's a loaded topic around here.

4 hours ago, Malachore said:

It's fine.

Prepare your inbox cause you guys are going to get a report every time he starts his stuff. 

He never quoted you. Why can't you just ignore him? I don't get it. It's been like this for months between you too, and he's just as bad and just as much to blame as you for this continuing to happen. You know he's baiting you, even though he's not quoting you and you fall for it hook line and sinker. Why can't you just ignore him? My life on this message board has gotten much better since I started ignoring people that I've got a problem with, doesn't matter if I've got them on ignore or not.

Malachore likes this

Getting back on the actual topic...

I just read an article that could provide some help to our bullpen problem... using an opener. 

Flame away...

24 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I just read an article that could provide some help to our bullpen problem... using an opener. 

Flame away...

I don't understand how that would help the bullpen. The opener idea is supposed to help the starter. Braves bullpen has been terrible but it also hasn't helped that they've thrown the 5th most innings this year. A lot of that is Snitker babying the starters too much.

12 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

Lmao

but in all seriousness.. I would love to hear your take on all this.. could anyone have foreseen this? Do you still like the deadline deals or did you ever? Do you feel the starting staff has been managed properly? 

I’d love to read your opinion 

All three new pitchers had warts. Greene's season with Detroit was to some degree smoke and mirrors, and he was due for regression. Martin trades never walking anyone for giving up homers sometimes. Melancon comes with a big salary and medical issues. 

But no, I didn't expect this. Like I said in my piece however, the Braves got these guys with the expectation that Dansby Swanson would be playing shortstop. All three have huge groundball tendencies. Some of their problems have been self-inflicted, but a lot have been due to extended innings because a play wasn't made behind them. Greene, Melancon, and Martin's BABIPs right now are .579, .526, and .438 respectively. That's ridiculous, and it will normalize. Jackson's is .376 too, for what it's worth.

TheTrue7 likes this

1 hour ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Flame away...

So instead of giving up 4 runs in the 7th they'd do it in the 1st.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't understand how that would help the bullpen. The opener idea is supposed to help the starter. Braves bullpen has been terrible but it also hasn't helped that they've thrown the 5th most innings this year. A lot of that is Snitker babying the starters too much.

25 minutes ago, Malachore said:

So instead of giving up 4 runs in the 7th they'd do it in the 1st.

Yeah,  I had my doubts about it,  but say we used both Touki and Newcomb as openers. We can get through the line up once in say three innings or slightly more,  but then bring in a true starter in the 4th and let them go the distance.  

Im not a huge fan of the idea,  but it's a thought. 

1 hour ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Yeah,  I had my doubts about it,  but say we used both Touki and Newcomb as openers. We can get through the line up once in say three innings or slightly more,  but then bring in a true starter in the 4th and let them go the distance.  

Im not a huge fan of the idea,  but it's a thought. 

The bullpen is still pitching the same amount of innings, just different innings in this scenario, so I don't exactly see how that would make them pitch better. Also, that's not exactly how the opener works, at least not the way Kevin Cash and the Rays do it. They use the opener for the first inning, sometimes the second depending on how the first goes. The whole idea of the opener is to keep the starting pitcher from facing the top half of the lineup for a 4th time come the 7th or 8th inning. By using the opener for the top of the lineup in the first inning, your starter is allowed to face the top of the order again later in the game when it's more important. Just think back to last night and Mike Soroka. Everyone defended pulling Soroka because they didn't want him facing Joc Pederson a 4th time. But had there been an opener then that would have only been the 3rd time facing him and you keep him in the game.

But even then, there's some pitchers the Rays use as an opener that do well in that role and terrible otherwise and vice versa. One of the guys they traded to the Marlins, Ryne Stanek was a guy who always did well as an opener but pitched poorly late in the game. Lastly, even with the opener, they still have 3 conventional starters, 4 when Blake Snell comes back healthy. So they don't do it every game. That would bring me to the question of, which pitcher or pitchers would you use this with? Who gets bumped by an opener?

If you go the opener route no one would get bumped. It could be a way of limiting Saroka and Frieds innings. Use Toki and Newk since both can give you 2-3 innings each time. Pairings would be Newk with Saroka & Toki with Fried. Those pairings make the other team think on how they would set their line up since there will be a lefty and righty that they will face. 

Im not a fan of the opener but it can be very beneficial with bull pen wear and tear. Opener gives you 2 solid innings and starter gives you 6. Then closer pitches 9th if need be. That’s only 3 pitchers that game. 

2 hours ago, brdu4 said:

If you go the opener route no one would get bumped. It could be a way of limiting Saroka and Frieds innings. Use Toki and Newk since both can give you 2-3 innings each time. Pairings would be Newk with Saroka & Toki with Fried. Those pairings make the other team think on how they would set their line up since there will be a lefty and righty that they will face. 

Im not a fan of the opener but it can be very beneficial with bull pen wear and tear. Opener gives you 2 solid innings and starter gives you 6. Then closer pitches 9th if need be. That’s only 3 pitchers that game. 

I meant "bumped' as in who doesn't "start."

From what I hear on Waters, he’s raking at AAA.. when should we expect a call up? Maybe replace Duvall?

5 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

From what I hear on Waters, he’s raking at AAA.. when should we expect a call up? Maybe replace Duvall?

Maybe mid 2020.