Ransack

2019 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

387 posts in this topic

If/when Dansby comes back we should make Culberson our starting LF. With him and BMac playing there wouldnt be a weak spot in the whole lineup

TheTrue7 likes this

2 hours ago, LouDog said:

If/when Dansby comes back we should make Culberson our starting LF. With him and BMac playing there wouldnt be a weak spot in the whole lineup

Yeah, sadly Duvall has come crashing back to earth. His first 6 games he was 12-for-25 (.480) but in the 10 games since then he's only 4-for-38 (.105). We don't need him to hit .480, but it would be nice if he could hit .250. But he's gone from one extreme to the other.

TheTrue7 likes this

Awful Announcing released their TV broadcast rankings. They grade and crunch the numbers, Braves broadcast ended at #21. Here's the analysis 

Analysis: Joe Simpson has been shifted to a more limited role this season, and I expected the Braves to tick up in the rankings a bit this year. That hasn’t happened, even though the booth is less angry and more loose than in prior years with Simpson on the prowl. Weirdly, the shift has also made Simpson more likable both on the radio and on TV. But for better or worse, Chip Caray is still Chip Caray, and Jeff Francoeur is still young and polishing his broadcasting chops.

You can check out the breakdown of the formula and all the rankings here

I'm lukewarm to Frenchy.  To me he comes off too "frat boy" to me.  There's a lot of partying/ drinking references, which could turn a lot of people off.  The stint with Paul Byrd filling in was horrible in my opinion.  Having so many different voices over the season also doesn't sit too well with me. 

3 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I'm lukewarm to Frenchy.  To me he comes off too "frat boy" to me.  There's a lot of partying/ drinking references, which could turn a lot of people off.  The stint with Paul Byrd filling in was horrible in my opinion.  Having so many different voices over the season also doesn't sit too well with me. 

I like Glavine. Hes not great but with more experience I think he could be pretty good. I wouldnt mind a 3 man booth with Frenchy and Glavine. What really needs to happen is Ben Ingram or Jim Powell replacing Chip.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

I like Glavine. Hes not great but with more experience I think he could be pretty good. I wouldnt mind a 3 man booth with Frenchy and Glavine. What really needs to happen is Ben Ingram or Jim Powell replacing Chip.

This. It all starts with the play-by-play. Chip is just not good.

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

See, I could deal with Glavine and Chip.  Like some of you guys I grew up with Skip and Joe and I liked it. I also liked that they would switch to Pete and Don later in the game. 

Frenchy's an extremely nice and well-intended guy. I like his goofy, affable attitude. And I love his anecdotes about talking to McCann, his carpool buddy for the games. Beyond that, he just doesn't bring much.

Glavine is an absolute savant, but it's not like we can expect somebody that rich to travel 200 days out of the year.

Falconsfan567 likes this

7 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Agreed about Frenchy!! He talks way too much like a frat boy and its a turnoff. I like Glavine the best out of all the analysts.

7 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

I can't stand 3 men booths, especially in baseball. That's just too much. Getting Chip replaced with Ben Ingram or Jim Powell is exactly what will make the broadcasts so much better. Pair one of them with Glavine on TV and let's go!!

BTW, I've noticed this year that Ingram has gotten a lot more work on the radio than in years past. It's like he's being groomed for a promotion somewhere.

22 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I don't write horror.

Lmao

but in all seriousness.. I would love to hear your take on all this.. could anyone have foreseen this? Do you still like the deadline deals or did you ever? Do you feel the starting staff has been managed properly? 

I’d love to read your opinion 

Just now, tl;dr said:

Just post-emotions after a game plus one too many beers! 

Ah.. ok.

more than understandable in that frame of mind.. 

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

Ah.. ok.

more than understandable in that frame of mind.. 

Just frustrating man. The pen has too much talent to keep being this bad...

9 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Just frustrating man. The pen has too much talent to keep being this bad...

It absolutely is.. no doubt about it.. Newk shat the bed last night and has definitely lost his shine he had earlier.. when a reliever comes in and walks the first batter he sees, it definitely gets maddening.. 

at some point, we need to figure out why. Are they thinking ahead? Are they not focused on that batter and only that batter? Better yet, focused on that pitch and only that pitch.. start simplifying the thought process.. gotta stop walking the first batter.. 

Anybody other than @Malachore and myself believe a lot of this has to do with our new pitching coach? 

Not trying to force the issue,  but look at the 3 acquisitions we made.  They've all gone to crap after having pretty good seasons this far. 

Kranitz is the problem... but Snit is not completely innocent either. 

4 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Anybody other than @Malachore and myself believe a lot of this has to do with our new pitching coach? 

Not trying to force the issue,  but look at the 3 acquisitions we made.  They've all gone to crap after having pretty good seasons this far. 

He probably isn't to blame for the new guys because they haven't been here long enough but the blame for everyone else needs to fall at his feet. 

He's done nothing right, he's improved no one and only seen regression outside of Julio. 

But some will scold you for thinking this because they don't believe in blaming people for stuff. They'd rather demean you instead. 

19 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

With Kranitz’s track record, I’m not putting all the pitchers’ struggles on him. Yes, it is his job to better that aspect of this team.. but to strictly point a finger at him for the overall struggles isn’t warranted in my opinion.. 

i view it much like our old friend Shannahan.. if i had a buck for all the times it was posted to fire him in his first year, I’d probably own a piece of the Braves.. but year 2, well, we know what happened..