Ransack

2019 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

387 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

I'm officially terrified of Josh Tomlin.

Does it say JT or IT? Genuinely curious and can't find the answer.

jidady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Does it say JT or IT? Genuinely curious and can't find the answer.

Oh, you know what. That's probably a JT that got cut off, not an IT. Good call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

Why? It’s cool for the players. The jerseys are pretty lackluster, but the idea of it is lighthearted and fun. 

Because I'm a traditionalist. I have a hard time with the idea of someone like Hank Aaron coming up to bat with a little league looking jersey on with THE HAMMER on the back. I didn't even like that Ichiro had Ichiro on the back of his jersey instead of Suzuki.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Because I'm a traditionalist. I have a hard time with the idea of someone like Hank Aaron coming up to bat with a little league looking jersey on with THE HAMMER on the back. I didn't even like that Ichiro had Ichiro on the back of his jersey instead of Suzuki.

Let us hope all the neighborhood youngsters stay off your lawn! JK lol

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Because I'm a traditionalist. I have a hard time with the idea of someone like Hank Aaron coming up to bat with a little league looking jersey on with THE HAMMER on the back. I didn't even like that Ichiro had Ichiro on the back of his jersey instead of Suzuki.

That's a very shortsighted way of thinking imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

That's a very shortsighted way of thinking imo

What makes it shortsighted? I hate the cheesy uniforms and names on the jerseys. I don't apologize for wanting the classic Braves uniforms for every game!! I don't apologize for wanting to see Freeman on the back of Freddie's jersey or Acuna or Albies or whoever instead of some other name. This is Major League Baseball. Not the XFL!! All this is is another moneygrab by MLB just like those stupid NFL color rush uniforms!! It's all about the benjamins!!! If MLB wasn't getting a big chunk in extra sales from people buying these jerseys they wouldn't do this. Players weekend my ***!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What makes it shortsighted? I hate the cheesy uniforms and names on the jerseys. I don't apologize for wanting the classic Braves uniforms for every game!! I don't apologize for wanting to see Freeman on the back of Freddie's jersey or Acuna or Albies or whoever instead of some other name. This is Major League Baseball. Not the XFL!! All this is is another moneygrab by MLB just like those stupid NFL color rush uniforms!! It's all about the benjamins!!! If MLB wasn't getting a big chunk in extra sales from people buying these jerseys they wouldn't do this. Players weekend my ***!!

First baseball is struggling to get younger people not only watching but actually playing the game. MLB has spent countless money to try to get the youth involved in baseball. So the jersey deal is ALL about mlb trying to get that. Millennials have proven they don't care about tradition. I'm saying you're shortsighted because you don't see the bigger picture of why they are doing it. Kinda shocked because you are very intelligent about baseball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

First baseball is struggling to get younger people not only watching but actually playing the game. MLB has spent countless money to try to get the youth involved in baseball. So the jersey deal is ALL about mlb trying to get that. Millennials have proven they don't care about tradition. I'm saying you're shortsighted because you don't see the bigger picture of why they are doing it. Kinda shocked because you are very intelligent about baseball. 

I don't think you've got to do this cheesy gimmick to get young people's attention. Seriously? I'm surprised you think this 3 games will make much if any difference to the number of kids that decide to play baseball. I think what they're continuing to do with investing in youth baseball leagues and trying reach young people that way, especially the inner city kids. That makes a far more positive impact on the number of kids that play than some cheesy gimmick. Most people I talk to or comment on it hate the uniforms and have for the 3 years they've been doing this. One of the main reasons that it's hard for kids to play baseball is because of how expensive it is compared to say basketball. That is why investing in the youth leagues and inner city kids is important, trying to make it easier for them to play. I also think MLB marketing the young stars of the game like they started doing last year will have a major positive impact on kids that want to play baseball. Seeing guys like Acuna, Albies, Vlad Jr, Betts, Trout, Harper, Correa, Tatis Jr, ect. will increase the number of kids that choose to play baseball instead of basketball or football or whatever.

youngbloodz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't think you've got to do this cheesy gimmick to get young people's attention. Seriously? I'm surprised you think this 3 games will make much if any difference to the number of kids that decide to play baseball. I think what they're continuing to do with investing in youth baseball leagues and trying reach young people that way, especially the inner city kids. That makes a far more positive impact on the number of kids that play than some cheesy gimmick. Most people I talk to or comment on it hate the uniforms and have for the 3 years they've been doing this. One of the main reasons that it's hard for kids to play baseball is because of how expensive it is compared to say basketball. That is why investing in the youth leagues and inner city kids is important, trying to make it easier for them to play. I also think MLB marketing the young stars of the game like they started doing last year will have a major positive impact on kids that want to play baseball. Seeing guys like Acuna, Albies, Vlad Jr, Betts, Trout, Harper, Correa, Tatis Jr, ect. will increase the number of kids that choose to play baseball instead of basketball or football or whatever.

I agree about the them marketing the younger players. But 10 and 11 year olds see the jerseys and thinks it's cool. It's not just the jerseys that will make a difference. It's just part of the overall marketing ploy. With inner city kids it is about the cost. The equipment more than anything. My daughter's travel volleyball cost $800 and her travel soccer cost almost $1000. But all she need are balls and that's it. I also think part of the problem is some people view it as boring too. But football numbers are going down because of the concussions. I think soccer will be the sport that challenges baseball and basketball for players

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from someone who has dealt with recruiting and apparel—if you think kids these days (saying that makes me feel old) don’t care about the latest merch, then you’re crazy. If something looks cool, they’ll want it. 

youngbloodz and jidady like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liberty posted the April to June finances. Braves had a revenue of $208M, that's up 14% from last year. Profit was $62M which is down from $64M last year. After depreciation its $36M, down $1M. $198M came from baseball related stuff and $10M came from The Battery. Liberty cites less home games in the quarter than 2018 as the reason for a drop. The Braves do carry a $470M debt from SunTrust and The Battery construction. The current phase two construction is also a $200M bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

Coming from someone who has dealt with recruiting and apparel—if you think kids these days (saying that makes me feel old) don’t care about the latest merch, then you’re crazy. If something looks cool, they’ll want it. 

I guess I'm just old then, because I don't think they look cool, I think they look stupid. Seriously, all black or all white? At least I could stomach the little league looking uniforms, but these are just puke worthy. Thankfully this isn't football or the broadcasters would be up a creek without a paddle trying to call the games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I guess I'm just old then, because I don't think they look cool, I think they look stupid. Seriously, all black or all white? At least I could stomach the little league looking uniforms, but these are just puke worthy. Thankfully this isn't football or the broadcasters would be up a creek without a paddle trying to call the games.

I feel the same way about the 1 million Oregon Ducks uniform combos lol. But every recruit I talked to about them they loved them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I feel the same way about the 1 million Oregon Ducks uniform combos lol. But every recruit I talked to about them they loved them. 

Obviously coincides with the facilities arms race. If they’re going to get exploited like they are, they want to be treated like royalty while they are there. 

youngbloodz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Obviously coincides with the facilities arms race. If they’re going to get exploited like they are, they want to be treated like royalty while they are there. 

True

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So since the other thread kind of got hijacked... we gotta discuss the news of the night.

Someone hit the fire extinguisher and it's a mystery as to who did it. They apparently hit it with a baseball bat. Snitker says: 

Honestly makes more sense that the latter happened. So someone hit the trash can and it went up and hit the fire extinguisher with enough force to knock the cap off? Yeah. That's not happening. 

This is the biggest mystery of the season if you ask me. 

"The Atlanta Braves and the Case of the Broken Fire Extinguisher." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

It was Newk

If they hit what they aimed at, it can't be anybody from the bullpen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So today, I'm predicting a win on all levels. No way we leave Miami without winning this game!!! The Braves will answer back after yesterday....period!

Go Bravos!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Hi, I'm looking for the Braves/Marlins game thread??? Anybody?

Mods locked it last night because of the argument going on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now