Ransack

2019 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

387 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

ESPN picked up the July 21st Braves/Nats game for Sunday Night Baseball.

Jesus Christ!! ESPN can **** off!!! So sick of them picking all these Braves games for the SNB game!!

Anthopolous had a sit down with the AJC. He was asked if Liberty Media truly has a death grip on a certain budget.

A. No. I’ve met with our ownership group before, but I deal with Terry McGuirk. Terry McGuirk’s my boss. I go to him for salary approvals and so on. We did the Ronald Acuna (extension), which was a $100 million commitment. Not once did Terry McGuirk tell me, “I need to get back to you.” He gave me an answer right on the spot when I went to him. When I was making proposals, counters – there were a lot of offers going back and forth. We’re talking tens of millions; we got up to $100 million. And there were scenarios when we thought of even longer deals for even more money.

The trade deadline last year: We got the (Darren) O’Day/(Kevin) Gausman deal done with 10 minutes to go. The deadline was at 4 p.m. I was in Terry’s office at 3:30. I needed an answer in a minute because we were going to ultimately do some things, move some money around, go over. We talked about claiming Josh Donaldson on trade waivers at the end of August last year -- that was going to be an extra $3 or $4 million above and beyond. Those are decisions I just go to Terry on, and when I’m above – we have a number we set the year on but, as Terry has always told me, his door’s open. If we need to go north of that number and it makes sense, (he’s) very open to it. I have not had a moment yet from a baseball operations standpoint where I’ve walked in needing above and beyond what I’ve been allocated and I’ve been told no. 

Now I also realize we’re not the New York Yankees or the Boston Red Sox and we’re not going to carry a $200 million payroll. That’s just not reality, either. I know there’s a lot of talk. I didn’t want to use the word “frustrating,” but I wish I could … you know, when you’re being criticized, I try to make myself accountable and available, especially when the team’s not playing well, the bullpen’s blowing saves. If I need to go on the radio, I will. If I need to be around the ballpark or in the clubhouse, I will make myself available. I do that. I feel like that’s a responsibility. But you wish sometimes you could be more.

Q. So you can approach this trading deadline believing you still have the wherewithal, money-wise, to get what you need? 

A. Sure. Again, I have a budgeted number that I manage and I monitor, and that can change

Q. What’s the number – $140 million? 

A. I think it’s been talked about. It’s been written about a lot. We have said this on the record: Our budgeted number last year was $120 million, and our budgeted number for this year is well north of that. That’s all you can ask for as a GM. And my attitude is, no matter what your number is, you’re always going to want more. 

Q. The budget comes from Liberty Media? 

A. No, (from) Terry. Terry sets that number, and I can’t speak to it. I know there’s this concept (of how the Braves work), but Terry is the one who makes (those) decisions. I’ve been here a little more than a year now, and I’ve had decisions for millions of dollars made when I needed quick answers, fast. 

Q. Has he ever told you no? 

A. No. I’m sure there could one day be a massive deal that I would have my own doubts on. But we want to competitive every year. We want to contend every single year. How do we do that – manage the payroll and have a competitive club? 

Exactly the same information that was said in the off-season.

Way too many people fell into a logical fallacy that the Braves not spending big in free agency this off-season meant that they were reducing/not increasing payroll. Someone can both have money in their pocket and also choose not to spend it on something they don't think is worth it.

ATLBrave likes this

3 hours ago, K26dp said:

Exactly the same information that was said in the off-season.

Way too many people fell into a logical fallacy that the Braves not spending big in free agency this off-season meant that they were reducing/not increasing payroll. Someone can both have money in their pocket and also choose not to spend it on something they don't think is worth it.

Not worth it like Bryce Harper. 

Borat likes this

Something is off with Reilly’s swing.  He’s striking out an inordinate amount the past 7-8 games. His average is plummeting.

Pitchers are killing him with low outside sliders/curves/change ups.  He was willing to swing inside-out before and drive those opposite way. But now he’s just got one pull swing only and unless the ball is belt-high down the middle or inside, he’s not even making contact.

Its 7-8 games now. Time for a batting coach to get him in the film room and figure out what’s changed and how to get back to what his swing was when he first came up.

Borat likes this

Posted (edited)

Did we win the trade battle of the NL East? Looking at the moves the Nats, Mets and Phillies did vs us I think we kicked their *****!! 

Edited by maorifalcon
Falconsfan567 and TheTrue7 like this

49 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

Did we win the trade battle of the NL East? Looking at the moves the Nats, Mets and Phillies did vs us I think we kicked their *****!! 

We won the trade deadline for the entire NL

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

After yesterday the Braves payroll is now $139.7M. That's $4.2M above league average. For 2020 if they picked up all options the Braves have about $75M in obligations. That doesn't count arbitration players. Flowers and Markakis have $6M team options and Julio has a $12M team option for 2020.

maorifalcon and Falconsfan567 like this

10 minutes ago, K26dp said:

The Braves have released LHP Luiz Gohara. 

I thought maybe he would be brought back once he cleared waivers.

Isnt he still injured??

21 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I thought maybe he would be brought back once he cleared waivers.

Isnt he still injured??

Yes, he's recovering from shoulder surgery. I'm guessing the long-term prognosis is not good.

35 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Yes, he's recovering from shoulder surgery. I'm guessing the long-term prognosis is not good.

Shame....he showed good potential

Mike Soroka is tied for the 5th best season for a Braves pitchers as measured by bWAR in the last 10 years. The season still has 8 weeks to go.

1. Hudson 2010 5.8
2. Teheran 2016 4.8
3. Medlen 2012 4.4
4. Teheran 2016 4.1
5. Soroka 2019/Foltynewicz 2018/Miller 2015/Hanson 2009 3.9
9. Wood 2014 3.8
10. O'Flaherty 2011 3.3

13 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Braves picked the all black jerseys for players weekend at the end of August.

This is stupid!! I hate this whole players weekend thing!!

19 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

This is stupid!! I hate this whole players weekend thing!!

Why? It’s cool for the players. The jerseys are pretty lackluster, but the idea of it is lighthearted and fun.