Ransack

2019 MLB Season Thread

735 posts in this topic

That’s a fine and suspension maybe right there. Lucroy’s body was a foot inside the line and nowhere close to blocking the plate.  The outside was wide open. There was zero reason to bulldoze him that far inside.

If Lucroy was on the line in front of the plate, absolutely.  But this was completely unnecessary. 

Hope Lucroy is okay.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a fierce battle likely, the league and players have already started the new CBA discussion. During the All Star Break the two sides had their first meeting. They do plan to meet more, the current deal doesnt end till after 2021. Each side knows the main topic is how to fix free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

With a fierce battle likely, the league and players have already started the new CBA discussion. During the All Star Break the two sides had their first meeting. They do plan to meet more, the current deal doesnt end till after 2021. Each side knows the main topic is how to fix free agency.

Get rid of the ridiculous qualifying offer BS. Go back to the way it was before with the type A and type B compensation on free agents. We've seen how the franchise tag is causing so many issues in the NFL and the qualifying offer is basically MLB's version of that, to a lesser degree in that the team that offers the deal to the player doesn't automatically retain him. But it's pretty much the same on every other level.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robot umps debuted last night. As you can see an umpire is still needed. The ump wears an earbud and keeps an iPhone in his back pocket. When a pitch is thrown a computer in the press box tells him what to call. In the event theres an issue with the technology the ump takes over calling the game until its rebooted.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Robot umps debuted last night. As you can see an umpire is still needed. The ump wears an earbud and keeps an iPhone in his back pocket. When a pitch is thrown a computer in the press box tells him what to call. In the event theres an issue with the technology the ump takes over calling the game until its rebooted.

 

Some of those rules are crazy. Bigger bases, no mound visits, pitchers have to face atleast 3 batters. They are trying to change the game too much

Malachore likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Some of those rules are crazy. Bigger bases, no mound visits, pitchers have to face atleast 3 batters. They are trying to change the game too much

It's all just experimentation. These leagues are just MLBs laboratory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Unkn0wn said:

It's all just experimentation. These leagues are just MLBs laboratory. 

The no mound visits rule is dumb. So is pitchers having to face 3 batters. Hopefully those two stay just experimentation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LouDog said:

The no mound visits rule is dumb. So is pitchers having to face 3 batters. Hopefully those two stay just experimentation. 

The 3 batter rule is likely coming, probably next year. Manfred said as much during his All Star press conference. They also said a vote on the DH in the NL is likely happening after next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

The 3 batter rule is likely coming, probably next year. Manfred said as much during his All Star press conference. They also said a vote on the DH in the NL is likely happening after next season.

On the DH rule i wouldnt mind it i dont guess. Honestly id rather the AL get rid of the DH but since that isnt happening, atleast making the NL use a DH would make it even across the league.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

The 3 batter rule is likely coming, probably next year. Manfred said as much during his All Star press conference. They also said a vote on the DH in the NL is likely happening after next season.

I don't know why they settled on 3 batters. I can live with 2 batters but 3 batters changes things way too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't know why they settled on 3 batters. I can live with 2 batters but 3 batters changes things way too much.

Im guessing they will have to make it 3 batters except in the 9th. If not, if your closer gets in trouble you wont be able to make a pitching change if he has already gotten an out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LouDog said:

Im guessing they will have to make it 3 batters except in the 9th. If not, if your closer gets in trouble you wont be able to make a pitching change if he has already gotten an out.

What? I'm not understanding. It's not 3 outs. It's 3 batters. Doesn't matter what the batter does. That's why it makes no sense that it can't be 2 batters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What? I'm not understanding. It's not 3 outs. It's 3 batters. Doesn't matter what the batter does. That's why it makes no sense that it can't be 2 batters.

You are right. Its 3 batter's. Even then, if the closer gets an out or two and then gets in trouble there would be a good chance the next guy wont face 3. May just be a rule through the first 8 innings. Couldnt really enforce it in the ninth since its hard to say how many batters someone would face if the closer gets in trouble.

Edited by LouDog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White Sox have started putting up pole to pole protective netting. Should be complete before their next home game on July 22nd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Robot umps debuted last night. As you can see an umpire is still needed. The ump wears an earbud and keeps an iPhone in his back pocket. When a pitch is thrown a computer in the press box tells him what to call. In the event theres an issue with the technology the ump takes over calling the game until its rebooted.

 

The ump also makes the swing/no swing call regardless if the pitch was in the zone. I think this is a great advancement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I actually like this...and it can be a REAL game-changer if ever adopted in the majors. Catchers will be forced to block ALL balls thrown in the dirt, and it will not only put more pressure on them, but on pitchers as well to keep pitches out of the dirt. This will place even more importance on defensive catchers - and we could see really good defensive catchers come in and be late game substitutions for the starting catcher when the game is on the line late or in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the deal with the Baltimore Orioles? Why can't they develop pitching? You look at all these big time top prospects they've had over the last 10-15 years that have bombed.

Jake Arrieta
Dylan Bundy
Kevin Gausman
Brian Matusz
Hayden Penn
Adam Loewen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight is the Angels first home game since Tyler Skaggs died. The entire team is wearing Skaggs #45 jerseys and his mom is throwing out the first pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now